Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M wr depth entering the season vs now

5,136 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GodsPlan9618
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ausbon - opted out
Cam Buckley - season ending injury in camp
Chase Lane
Ainias Smith - rb/wr flex
Caleb Chapman - season ending injury in game 3
Kam Brown - transfer portal mid year
Hez Jones
Jalen Preston
Demas
Wright

That doesn't even include Cupp going down again. Anyone know of another top 25 team that saw this type of fall off at wr from day 1 of fall camp?

Kudos to Jimbo for finding ways to make it work and that running game.
AgfromHOU
AG
I hope Buckley comes back next season. Love that guy.
Leander - Ag
EKG1996
AG
Moose and Price a couple more scholarship WRs but yeah we basically started over at the position this season.

Lack of Spring and regular fall camp definitely hurt the development of some of the young guys.
hyt
AG
glancing over fisher's wr recruiting while at fsu makes it seem like he took few wrs each year and sent even fewer wideouts to the draft. not sure why that was but it looks like that trend might continue here. despite losing almost half the wr you list some of the players left barely get playing time. odd because preston, wright, and demas were some of the top wrs in their classes...
Canyon99
What's up with Preston? 6 catches in the first two games and nothing since.
agINbj2000
Chapman the da man
Alpha Texan
AG
I think Chase Lane was an upgrade from Ausbon in a similar role and jersey.
TxAg76
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Damn right. And he made "the hit" too
BANA89
AG
TxAg76 said:

AgfromHOU said:

Damn right. And he made "the hit" too
Damn I love that replay!
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Not_Sure
AG
And Hez was hurt for the first half of the season
AWP 97
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Other than Buckley being an Aggie what is there to "love" about his play? I would like to have him back for depth but he is an average college WR. If he is our best receiver next year, we are going to have another difficult year.
GodsPlan9618
Canyon99 said:

Kid hasn't had a target since. Seems the kid has gotten the death penalty for a mistake or two against the #1 team in America.
safety guy
AG
The wr group has not been a strength in 3 years. The receivers have completely turned over but the play calling and the qb have remained the same. It will be interesting to see how the wr group performs next year with a new qb.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
safety guy said:

The wr group has not been a strength in 3 years. The receivers have completely turned over but the play calling and the qb have remained the same. It will be interesting to see how the wr group performs next year with a new qb.

Should be able to improve if King can be more accurate than Mond which should happen. Also if King extends a few more drives with scrambles that will give more opportunities. And Mond rarely escapes the pocket and continues to looks downfield and throw on the run. King did all of these things against bama so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
fieldtrailer
AG
Also Kenyon ackson. 6'5".
TX_Aggie37
AG
I have generally been a Mond defender and I don't think he's as bad as most here do, but I do believe our offense is somewhat limited by what he can do consistently. Next season King's arm talent should open up the offense and in turn result in significantly improved WR numbers. We could end up being a very explosive offense next season if the OL is good.
WhataMaroon88
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

I have generally been a Mond defender and I don't think he's as bad as most here do, but I do believe our offense is somewhat limited by what he can do consistently. Next season King's arm talent should open up the offense and in turn result in significantly improved WR numbers. We could end up being a very explosive offense next season if the OL is good.
I agree with that -- but the WR lack of depth also shows that a lot of the offensive woes against LSU was more about WR running bad routes and getting no separation or dropping passes than Mond throwing terribly. Doesn't excuse Mond's lack of presence to run the ball and the few bad passes, but it was raining.

Either way, still agree that Mond is a B level QB and will never be A level.
MMantle
AG
Ausbon = addition by subtraction, don't miss him

RR
Shoefly!
AG
safety guy said:

You didn't hear the news, Monds coming back.
Ulrich
MMantle said:

Ausbon = addition by subtraction, don't miss him

RR

I don't think Ausbon leaving made our WR group better, but it may have made Mond better. Mond is doing a better job of running the plays instead of locking on to his safety blanket way too often.
AgfromHOU
AG
AWP 97 said:

AgfromHOU said:

Other than Buckley being an Aggie what is there to "love" about his play? I would like to have him back for depth but he is an average college WR. If he is our best receiver next year, we are going to have another difficult year.

He's not the most talented guy but he gives his all on every play and works really hard. Isn't that the Aggie away? Nobody wants to be left with him being our best receiver, but he's very reliable as the #2 or #3 option in any given passing play.
TX_Aggie37
AG
WhataMaroon88 said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

I agree with that -- but the WR lack of depth also shows that a lot of the offensive woes against LSU was more about WR running bad routes and getting no separation or dropping passes than Mond throwing terribly. Doesn't excuse Mond's lack of presence to run the ball and the few bad passes, but it was raining.

Either way, still agree that Mond is a B level QB and will never be A level.
The WRs were noticeably off against LSU for sure. No separation whatsoever. We also kept attacking Stingley who is a great man cover guy. I've written off that performance almost completely after seeing what we did to Auburn on offense.
Foxo
AG
EKG1996 said:

Moose and Price a couple more scholarship WRs but yeah we basically started over at the position this season.

Lack of Spring and regular fall camp definitely hurt the development of some of the young guys.
I think Price has played a bit. The 3 star.
Foxo
AG
GodsPlan9618 said:

Canyon99 said:

Kid hasn't had a target since. Seems the kid has gotten the death penalty for a mistake or two against the #1 team in America.
I haven't seen Preston except for playing on the kick return team (which we never do)..
Bunk Moreland
Demas has seen snaps in 2 games
Moose has seen snaps in 2 games
Price has seen snaps in 4 games
W
AG
you know it's strange...but WR seems like the last position group that Jimbo has to upgrade to catch Alabama and LSU.

the Tide and Tigers have produced 6 or 7 first round WR's in the last 2 years.

A&M is considerably behind at the WR position
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
It isn't a huge loss but kam brown should have stuck it out through the end of this year. His playing time would have increased, and at the end of the day this year doesn't count any ways so he doesn't have to worry about losing any eligibility.
GodsPlan9618
W said:

you know it's strange...but WR seems like the last position group that Jimbo has to upgrade to catch Alabama and LSU.

the Tide and Tigers have produced 6 or 7 first round WR's in the last 2 years.

A&M is considerably behind at the WR position

A&M has a load of very Talented WR's.
GodsPlan9618
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

It isn't a huge loss but kam brown should have stuck it out through the end of this year. His playing time would have increased, and at the end of the day this year doesn't count any ways so he doesn't have to worry about losing any eligibility.

No, his time wouldn't have increased unless 1 or 2 of the 3 starters was injured and we were down on the scoreboard and had to play catch-up. Lol What have we seen the last few games? Zero substitutions at the WR even when Lane was injured with 10 minutes left in fourth. Brown did the right thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.