Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would you rather win a close championship with an asterisk or kick ass in a NY6

4,430 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by swc93
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would love to be in the CFP, but for whoever wins, there will be an asterisk next to the win qualifying that it isn't a "true" CFP championship due to COVID keeping teams out.

Just wait for it. The better option may be blowning out OU in the Cotton Bowl and embarrassing the BDF than winning a close game against ND and not officially being recognized as a true national champ
OKG2000
AG
is this a real question?

win the championship!! there are always gonna be haters, f em alll...just win
InMyOpinion
Don't care about the asterisk, give me the championship

Enough of the season has been played - no team is being kept out because of COVID, certain conference leadership and poor decision making has prevented their teams from playing - SEC, ACC and B12 made it work, the other 2 could have as well, but decided to stay in the basement hoping everyone else would follow suit
W
AG
I think the 5 teams that tied for the 1994 SWC championship...proudly (and perhaps embarrassingly) claim the championship
JW
AG
Always better to finish 5th. Nailed it.
Texker
AG
UCF
Post removed:
by user
T-Shizzle
Or would you rather go to the playoffs? Play Bama or Clemson. (Perhaps loose). Or go to a New Years six with a better chance to win, and keep momentum going into 2021?
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
Jfc this board is embarrassing sometimes. Of course the answer is to finish 5th and avoid the tarnish of the asterisk.
ironmanag
AG
Quite possibly the easiest question ever.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BMX Bandit
The asterisk will only be seen by losers
Sq 17
If the ags were to get in and win it all , they'd probably beat both Clemson & Bama. No asterisk if theAgs are 9-1 plus those 2 wins
alamogeorge
AG
The Spurs say to win the asterisk followed by four more over the next several years.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
SA68AG
AG
This is the dumbest question ever posed on this board.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
OKG2000 said:

is this a real question?

win the championship!! there are always gonna be haters, f em alll...just win
Despite attempts to put an asterisk next to the 2017 Houston Astros World Series championship, I find that title to remain in their possession. F the haters.
GumboMaverick
T-Shizzle said:

Or would you rather go to the playoffs? Play Bama or Clemson. (Perhaps loose). Or go to a New Years six with a better chance to win, and keep momentum going into 2021?

Loose???

You mean lose. Learn to spell please.
NyAggie
AG
No such thing as an asterisk next to a championship

If the champion is awarded then they are the champs, period
HoustonAg2106
AG
Why wouldn't there be an asterisk next to winning the cotton bowl? If the champion has an asterisk then the whole season has an asterisk, and I'd rather be the number one team with an asterisk than the 5th team with an asterisk
halfastros81
AG
Nobody but the winning team and their fans will remember the Cotton ( or name your alternate ) Bowl Game. A National Championship is forever .... asterisk notwithstanding. Usually I am an advocate that there are no dumb questions but this one qualifies.

The entire purpose of playing the season is to crown a champion and the goal of every serious program should be to win it . Sure, there are subgoals that can define a successful season without being the national champion but the OP posted that he'd rather play in a NY6 bowl than win a national championship. Beyond ridiculous.
AgBQ-00
AG
You always want the chance to win it all. The thought of wanting to not be in the playoffs to avoid a loss is ridiculous it goes against everything the sport is about.

Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
saw em off
I don't get all the "asterisk" talk. The season is being played and at the end, there will be a NC. 5 years from now, will there be cronies at a small town tire shop saying, "You know in 2020, <team> didn't really win the NC. It didn't really count, you know because of that virus thing."

Stupid.
dannyv
AG
With respect, this is a ridiculous question. We haven't won a national championship in 81 years. I don't think many Aggies are going to care about any footnotes attached to our next championship.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

You always want the chance to win it all. The thought of wanting to not be in the playoffs to avoid a loss is ridiculous it goes against everything the sport is about.

Actually this thread is even dumber, OP wants to miss the playoffs to avoid winning a NC
PyriteAg
AG
Is this serious? I would rather get blown out in the playoffs than blow another team out in the NY6. We are on an upward trend, so I honestly don't care if others say we "don't deserve to be up there" anyway. I can assure you even the OU fanbase didn't give a crap when everyone was saying they didn't deserve to be in the playoff years prior.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Dario said:

Is this serious? I would rather get blown out in the playoffs than blow another team out in the NY6. We are on an upward trend, so I honestly don't care if others say we "don't deserve to be up there" anyway. I can assure you even the OU fanbase didn't give a crap when everyone was saying they didn't deserve to be in the playoff years prior.

Again, this thread isn't about getting blown out in the playoffs vs winning a NY6 bowl, it's about a NY6 bowl vs winning a national championship

The idea is so dumb that most of us dont even understand it
PyriteAg
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Dario said:

Again, this thread isn't about getting blown out in the playoffs vs winning a NY6 bowl, it's about a NY6 bowl vs winning a national championship

I know. I'm just saying this just to point out how dumb this thread is. And im sure the other poster did the same with the same intention as mine.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Dario said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Dario said:

I know. I'm just saying this just to point out how dumb this thread is. And im sure the other poster did the same with the same intention as mine.

I would actually listen to an argument about winning a NY6 game vs getting blown out in the first round of the playoffs...playoffs is the obvious answer to me, but it's at least worthy of discussion.

OP is clearly a troll (my guess is sooner or sip)
Saint Pablo
I don't get the asterisk talk at all. Especially when Clemson, Ohio St., Bama, UF, and Notre Dame are all in the mix. It isn't like COVID has decimated any competitors. But it isn't like anything has really changed. Now if all of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St. simultaneously got COVID next week and their teams were decimated, an asterisk would make sense.
txags92
AG
There would be no asterisk. If you are chosen for the playoff and beat the teams you are lined up against, you are the champion. Period. It isn't like it used to be. There is only one poll that matters now...the one made by the playoff committee and if you win the playoff, you are the champion...no asterisk.
tjack16
AG
There are haters and trolls who clown on literally every championship that is won. Who cares about them.
We haven't won a title since 1939.

IMO there is zero asterisk around this national championship. Awards like the heisman? Thats a different story
HoustonAg2106
AG
USC was stripped of its 2004 national championship and Reggie Bush lost his heisman, but all I remember from those seasons is Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush raising a gigantic trophy over their heads.

If I'm remembering incorrectly please let me know who it was instead
AggieOO
I'll say it again. We have the dumbest fans on average in all of college football.
bugslinger
AG
Are we not allowed to go to the playoffs 2 years in a row?
TX_Aggie37
AG
Not sure if this is a troll or just a horrible take. If the two choices are winning a championship or winning a different bowl, then wtf are we even talking about.
Saint Pablo
AggieOO said:

I'll say it again. We have the dumbest fans on average in all of college football.
Have you ever met a Baylor fan?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.