Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Word out of Auburn

11,403 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gary Busey as Dell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gus has Tank Bigsby returning kicks this week for the first time all season.

Hope our ST are on their A games. That kid is a beast.
Saint Pablo
Damn hopefully they don't have a girl kickoff too.
AG
Haha, no *****

But seriously, this kid is an all american type talent.

Makes me wish we'd put Achane and Smith back there to return kicks.

Makes me wish we would return kicks...
InMyOpinion
4 said:

It seems like this is a thing of the past. Saw an SEC stat recently that only 25% of kicks are returned and the average of the ones returned was 21 yards. Only 1 returned for a TD. Too many penalties are called on returns so its more advantageous to take the ball at the 25.
Tachoro
AG
I wonder if any of our kicks will just go into the endzone making this move pointless.
halfastros81
AG
I hope he gets many opportunities to line up on the kick return team.
zephyr88
AG
Cartavious... now that's a new one...
BCR
Seems like an odd move for someone dealing with a hip issue.
saw em off
We kick it in or past the end zone every time anyway so what's the problem?
zachsccr
AG
InMyOpinion said:

4 said:

It seems like this is a thing of the past. Saw an SEC stat recently that only 25% of kicks are returned and the average of the ones returned was 21 yards. Only 1 returned for a TD. Too many penalties are called on returns so its more advantageous to take the ball at the 25.

This exactly. There are very few situations where taking the ball out of the end zone end up worth the risk. Is to more boring? Yeah. But I'd rather 75 yards to go every time then risk 1st and 10 from your 15 or worse.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I think there are 2 things.

The rule change means that the returner can now look at the set up and decide if he likes it or not. Kicking team can no longer kick a high one that lands on the 3 yd line to force a return. Have not researched, but would bet the number of returns is trending down.

Second, most sec programs lack the depth truly needed to play 10 conference games. A kickoff is the most likely phase to cause injury (per play). Then, every coach knows that a Covid spike and tracing can instantly decimate.

So, the risk/reward for most programs is especially bad this year.
TMartin
The Tigers have been hit hard by injuries lately, especially on the offensive line. Malzahn said earlier in the week that right tackle Brodarious Hamm (left knee), tailbacks Tank Bigsby (hip) and D.J. Williams (ankle) and cornerback Jaylin Simpson are questionable against the Aggies, while left tackle Alec Jackson had surgery on his right hand and will miss the game.

Bigsby returning kicks?
Russ79
AG
The only problem with Smith and kick returns is he doesn't seem to understand that if you can read the letters in the end zone while running form players on the other team you need to take a knee...
TX_Aggie37
AG
Auburn's skill guys are pretty good but I think our defense may actually be legit. If we can own the LOS on both sides of the ball and limit the splash plays on defense then I like our chances.
Tamu_mgm
AG
The kid's very good, but he's not a classic burner at the kick return spot. We'll be fine as long as we stay in the lanes.

I'm much more worried about him at RB than at KR. If I were an Auburn fan, I'd be questioning Gus's decision to put your star tailback at a high risk of injury spot like KR.
Win At Life
AG
zachsccr said:

InMyOpinion said:

4 said:

This exactly. There are very few situations where taking the ball out of the end zone end up worth the risk. Is to more boring? Yeah. But I'd rather 75 yards to go every time then risk 1st and 10 from your 15 or worse.
Uh, yeah, the NCAA is basically trying to take the kickoff out of the game due to the violence of the hits on that play. Rule changes that they kick closer to the endzone, can now fair catch, and a touchback or fair catch puts it at the 25 instead of the 20. Those rule changes virtually eliminates the value of returning a kickoff. That's not been a secret for anyone following the game very closely at all.
aggiefan09
AG
Could be a way to test out the hip and get him on the field to see how it feels running. We will kick the ball out of the end zone or away from him, so little chance of him being injured.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
What about punt returns
CajunAg86
InMyOpinion said:

4 said:

This should not be a surprise as it was the express intent of the ncaa (and nfl) to make rule changes that reduced the number of kicks returned. It worked.

Edit - sorry WIN AT LIFE, was composing this as you posted
Gyles Marrett
We have already faced a kick returner named Waddle this year. Should we prepare? yes....is he scarier than Waddle? no
Agsuffering@bulaw
I wonder if Gus is working it to have in his back pocket. Maybe if they get into a jam late, or notice a weakness in our kickoff.
Alpha Texan
AG
4 said:

Someone didn't watch us play Vanderbilt
Gary Busey as Dell

Bigsby is their biggest star on offense.

So Malzahn is announcing he is putting his bell cow on kick return and possibly subjecting him to more hits and more abuse? Big brain thinking by Gustav there.
Slamn Sharpe
4 said:

Haha, no *****

But seriously, this kid is an all american type talent.

You wish a lot. Wish upon a star, brohiem.
AR Ag
AG
4 said:

I'm not too worried about an Auburn beast RB
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Uh, yeah, the NCAA is basically trying to take the kickoff out of the game due to the violence of the hits on that play. Rule changes that they kick closer to the endzone, can now fair catch, and a touchback or fair catch puts it at the 25 instead of the 20. Those rule changes virtually eliminates the value of returning a kickoff. That's not been a secret for anyone following the game very closely at all.

Yep

All the rule changes are there to discourage the returners from returning the ball and to discourage the kicking team from trying to force a return

They want all kickoffs basically bottled out of the end zone or fair caught
W
AG
Russ79 said:

The only problem with Smith and kick returns is he doesn't seem to understand that if you can read the letters in the end zone while running form players on the other team you need to take a knee...
yes, the mistakes made in the Vanderbilt game...are driving some of Jimbo's strategy
Slamn Sharpe
AR Ag said:

4 said:

I'm not too worried about an Auburn beast RB

Bo Jackson accounted for 202 yards in the 86' Cotton bowl
Slamn Sharpe
Lol
PyriteAg
AG
At least Bigsby got the honor of making the last explosive play against us.
Slamn Sharpe
I know 4, he's got family that currently attends Auburn. Just bustn' his balls
Gary Busey as Dell
Slamn Sharpe said:

I know 4, he's got family that currently attends Auburn. Just bustn' his balls
Dude's a beast, look forward to watching him play for the next two years before he goes pro.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.