Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What was it like watching Bucky Richardson play?

10,315 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GSPag`
TexasAggie2023
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wish I could've seen him play in person instead of on YouTube. Johnny was unbelievable but it seems like Bucky holds a special place in Aggies' hearts.
A-A-A-A-A
greg.w.h
AG
TexasAggie2023 said:

I wish I could've seen him play in person instead of on YouTube. Johnny was unbelievable but it seems like Bucky holds a special place in Aggies' hearts.
Like watching Johnny.
AggieRob93
AG
Bucky had a pretty much indomitable will on the field, much like Johnny did.

Bucky wasn't as fleet of foot, but he was a stronger runner. More hard nosed, less slippery.

Bucky wasn't a very good passer, at least based on stats, but then again he didn't need to be.

Always had a high degree of confidence the Ags would win, in no small part because of Bucky. But having the Wrecking Crew in top form contributed as much to that feeling of confidence as well.
Wdiss
I was a fish in '91. First game was a scorching Saturday at Kyle Field versus L$U.

Bucky was sort of like a proto-Tebow honestly. A winner.
yell_on_6th st
AG
You know how when the camera catches Mond's eyes and most people think, "What a wuss".

When it was Bucky everyone thought, "Nails!"
bwmammoth
AG
Unbelievably awesome and frustrating at the same time!
TexasAggie2023
AggieRob93 said:

Bucky had a pretty much indomitable will on the field, much like Johnny did.

Bucky wasn't as fleet of foot, but he was a stronger runner. More hard nosed, less slippery.

Bucky wasn't a very good passer, at least based on stats, but then again he didn't need to be.

Always had a high degree of confidence the Ags would win, in no small part because of Bucky. But having the Wrecking Crew in top form contributed as much to that feeling of confidence as well.
Somebody said he was like Tebow, and that's also who I think of when I watch clips of him. Seems like he was a natural leader and likable too. Makes sense why so many speak so highly of him.
A-A-A-A-A
91_Aggie
AG
It was awesome /Chris Farley

I do not remember the game, but he had a long run along the sideline and a DB angle on him and Bucky kind of made that move a runner does along the sideline like he is going to step out of bounds to avoid a hit. As he did that, the DB let up as well, and then Bucky turned back inside directly at the DB, lowered his shoulder and drove the DB about 5 more yards before being tackled.

You, however, did not want Bucky to pass the ball

SunrayAg
AG
Bucky was a middle linebacker playing quarterback.

I mean that in a good way.

And also in a bad way.

Still the only quarterback I have ever seen get flagged for roughing the tackler.
TexasAggie2023
I definitely see Tebow in clips of him. I'd love to go back to that style of play the old early 90s teams played
A-A-A-A-A
DW91AG95
AG
Where is my Randy Marsh on the computer meme????
AgOutsideAustin
AG
He wasn't like Tebow he was more like Taysom Hill at BYU.
TexasAggie2023
91_Aggie said:

I do not remember the game, but he had a long run along the sideline and a DB angle on him and Bucky kind of made that move a runner does along the sideline like he is going to step out of bounds to avoid a hit. As he did that, the DB let up as well, and then Bucky turned back inside directly at the DB, lowered his shoulder and drove the DB about 5 more yards before being tackled.

This question came about because I got curious as to who else belong in the Top 5 Aggie QB conversation besides Johnny and Tannehill, so I was looking at Bucky's stats and went "oh he was TERRIBLE." Then I saw his rushing stats and it all made sense....
A-A-A-A-A
91_Aggie
AG
TexasAggie2023 said:

91_Aggie said:

This question came about because I got curious as to who else belong in the Top 5 Aggie QB conversation besides Johnny and Tannehill, so I was looking at Bucky's stats and went "oh he was TERRIBLE." Then I saw his rushing stats and it all made sense....

Yes bucky in top 5 easy
TexasAggie2023
I can see that too
A-A-A-A-A
ABATTBQ87
AG
Bucky was a great option qb and had an excellent running back, Darren Lewis.

The only issues happened when the defense stacked 9 in the box and dared Bucky to throw. Quack quack
91_Aggie
AG
He had darren lewis and Robert Wilson in the backfield and he ran the option to perfection
yell_on_6th st
AG
SunrayAg said:

And also in a bad way.

Still the only quarterback I have ever seen get flagged for roughing the tackler.

Exactly. It was like the WC was so bad ass let's get that mentality on offense, so God gave us Bucky.
aggiebrad94
AG
He lifted weights with the OL. That's pretty much all you need to know about his mentality.

He was a winner. He could will a team to win.

He was also arrogant as could be. He introduced himself to a friend of mine by saying, "Hi. I'm Bucky, wanna f*&^?"
swc93
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

He lifted weights with the OL. That's pretty much all you need to know about his mentality.

He was also arrogant as could be. He introduced himself to a friend of mine by saying, "Hi. I'm Bucky, wanna f*&^?"
Damn awesome pick up line.
AG
Have you ever hoped your QB would take off running under pressure and run straight into a linebacker?

We used to hope for that *****
yell_on_6th st
AG
He kicked Brett Farvre's ass and made him like it!
TarponChaser
Bucky had a strong arm but rarely threw. He probably would have been a lot better at it had they worked on it more. About 6'1" 225# and could really run but lost a step after he tore his ACL.

Honestly, he would have been awesome as a zone-read QB because he was such a running threat a lot of receivers would have been wide open for him. Put him in the system Tebow ran for Meyer or Vince Young did for t.u, and Bucky would have killed it.
Baron Von Karbach
AG
4 said:

Have you ever hoped your QB would take off running under pressure and run straight into a linebacker?

We used to hope for that *****

Would have loved to see him do this over 4 years, dang:

Att: 370
Yards: 2095
Avg: 5.7
TDS: 30

TexasAggie2023
yell_on_6th st said:

SunrayAg said:

And also in a bad way.

Exactly. It was like the WC was so bad ass let's get that mentality on offense, so God gave us Bucky.
I can't help but think of what this year's team would look like if our QB mirrored our defense
A-A-A-A-A
#Mke
AG
Question about Bucky:

Apparently he was on the A&M team in '87, '88, '89, '90, '91. He went in the game in '87 vs Texas as a true freshman. Wikipedia says he was on the '91 team, and he was drafted in '92. If he played as a true freshman in '87, how did he play for A&M for five seasons? Did he miss a season due to injury? I wasn't alive for the Bucky years, so I apologize if the answer is "common knowledge"
AG
Yes, medical redshirt
ABATTBQ87
AG
#Mke said:

Question about Bucky:

Apparently he was on the A&M team in '87, '88, '89, '90, '91. He went in the game in '87 vs Texas as a true freshman. Wikipedia says he was on the '91 team, and he was drafted in '92. If he played as a true freshman in '87, how did he play for A&M for five seasons? Did he miss a season due to injury? I wasn't alive for the Bucky years, so I apologize if the answer is "common knowledge"

Bucky was injured against tu in 1988 and missed the 1989 season
agent-maroon
AG

1990 Holiday Bowl highlights. Wrecking Crew to start, then Bucky offensive highlights beginning at about the 2:30 mark.

Anybody that thought Bucky couldn't pass should watch this and reconsider their lives.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nu awlins ag
AG
He still has that mentality. He was a better passer than most here give him credit. He could run and was strong and powerful. He hit a wide open Mitchell in the Cotton Bowl who dropped the pass and along with Hill's fumble out of the end zone, A&M could have been on top of FSU 14-0, but it never happened. Bucky is a good guy whom I've got to meet and know. In the end, he didn't really have a QB coach to help him later on at A&M. I'd take him as my QB today as there aren't many that can match his heart and desire....
Quito
AG
Bucky once got a personal foul for tackling a guy out of bounds after an INT.

That's all you need to know.
coop214
AG
I hear his defense carried him to wins.
nu awlins ag
AG
K_1987 said:

I hear his defense carried him to wins.
Mathguy64
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

He wasn't like Tebow he was more like Taysom Hill at BYU.

I was going to say more like Taysom Hill now for the Saints.
aglaes
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Un-Tebow like in that way.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.