Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Demas

17,526 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by alamogeorge
MaroonSpirit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M fans can exhale: five-star freshman receiver Demond Demas appears back in the Aggies' fold for a trip to Auburn

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Demond-Demas-Texas-A-M-status-Auburn-game-15763873.php
Aggies1322
AG
MaroonSpirit said:

Texas A&M fans can exhale: five-star freshman receiver Demond Demas appears back in the Aggies' fold for a trip to Auburn

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Demond-Demas-Texas-A-M-status-Auburn-game-15763873.php

I believe Fisher said that yesterday
RG20
Just like last year when Anias was supposed to play more...
PyriteAg
AG
RG20 said:

Wasn't he also the 3-star recruit that nobody on TexAgs wanted?
Speckled Trout
AG
RG20 said:

He didn't say he was going to play more.

Charlie Murphy
We're #5 in the country, I'd love for us to have played better but I'll give jimbo the benefit of the doubt. Right or wrong he has only a handful of players that he trusts with the football. Demas will get there.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Does anyone honestly believe that Fisher and his staff would blackball a kid who they thought would make an instant impact on the field? We're in playoff contention here, and every play counts. How many drops did we see our receivers make on Saturday? If Demas was the magic man that some believe he is (or can be), I wholeheartedly expect him to play.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
RG20
My whole point of saying that is to take what Jimbo says with a grain of salt. Most football coaches are throwing out fluff to the media majority of the time.
MidTnAg
AG
MaroonSpirit said:

Why has Demas NOT been "in the Aggies' fold" so far?
Jbob04
AG
Our WR development and rotation is terrible. We have improved across the board on both sides of the ball except for WR. It's time for something new. Gonna be some hot tears when we lose some good players because they can't get playing time behind guys that aren't making plays.
Bunk Moreland
Jbob04 said:

Our WR development and rotation is terrible. We have improved across the board on both sides of the ball except for WR. It's time for something new.

Chase Lane has been more dependable than Ausbon, Ainias has been better when lined up at WR than anyone we had last year and Chapman was having a breakout monster game when he tore his knee up.

Bird Poo
AG
raging_agaholic said:

Does anyone honestly believe that Fisher and his staff would blackball a kid who they thought would make an instant impact on the field? We're in playoff contention here, and every play counts. How many drops did we see our receivers make on Saturday? If Demas was the magic man that some believe he is (or can be), I wholeheartedly expect him to play.
He blackballed Smith for half a season last year. Hell, he even admitted it.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
PearlJammin said:

raging_agaholic said:

Link?

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
PearlJammin said:

raging_agaholic said:

Yep. In the bowl game when Ainias was clearly our fastest and most elusive offensive player we all were like WTF where has this been all year ? Mostly on the sidelines that's where. Not saying Demas will be the same but putting him in for a few plays then saying he can't get off press coverage is short sighted. Most hyped WR I've seen come here next to Robert Ferguson and he's not getting on the field. Just strange.
MCAg09
AG
The reporters asked Jimbo multiple times in the pressers about smith getting more touches and Jimbo said they needed to get him the ball more. It just took the whole season to do it.

But Demas hasn't played hardly any snaps at all. At least Smith had some catches at this point.
mitchdpm
AG
This board's obsession with Demas is bewildering. The dude has massive potential but literally hasn't played in a live-action game in more than two years. He'll contribute when he's ready. Fisher obviously doesn't trust him at this point in time.
aggiefan09
AG
I hate this line of reasoning. It's like applying for a job and saying you don't have enough experience. At some point you have to take a risk on an unexperienced person and give them that experience.
Shoefly!
AG
I've watched a lot of games in the last 2 weeks due to confinement in my home from Covid. There have been many players on teams I have watched that have freshman starting players that we have been on the recruiting trail. These guys no doubt bypassed us because they were promised immediate playing time. Jimbo has to walk a fine line with this approach, a couple of wrong moves and this could blow up his roster.
Tony Grimes comes to mind, we lost our DB coach to the Cowboys and that was the in for ol buttertooth. It's a big game in the recruiting of players.
12thMan9
AG
Anyone curious about why Preston didn't see the field? Or Jackson, who is 6'6"?

And what about Achane getting all of 3 plays?
Ronnie '88
jp95
AG
Ya'll seem to forget about practice. Jimbo puts so much emphasis on practice if you listen to his press conferences. There is a reason that practices are filmed and there is film study just on what each player does there. When Demas is ready for the game field he will be in. I believe when he is put out there on the game field he is going to light it up, but not till Coach Craig and Jimbo say so.
SouthCollegeStation
My Theory On Playing Time:

I saw Dee Dee at the VB game back in October.
His frame is very lean - Maybe somewhere in the 1 to 5% body fat range at most.

He is muscular and toned for his frame - but it is not SEC level muscle for a WR at this point.
I fully believe that he is smart enough to learn the play book and
how to engage DB's in blocking techniques for run plays.

But I am not sure he can get off of the DB from pushing him off of his route.
I would think the more physical SEC BD's will push him around and disrupt the route & timing.
Thus causing K Mond to check off of him and target another receiver.
Jimbo needs a WR who will win those battles more times that not.

Another year in the weight room to develop muscle for leverage and fighting off DBs
will serve him very well. I am a strong believer in Dee Dee's future and
am grateful that he is an Aggie.

rootube
AG
It's interesting the last time I can remember a freshman playing getting this much attention was when Reggie was waiting his turn.
rootube
AG
Can you provide more info on his ankle girth. It's important that I have this info before I decide if he is ready.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

This board's obsession with Demas is bewildering. The dude has massive potential but literally hasn't played in a live-action game in more than two years. He'll contribute when he's ready. Fisher obviously doesn't trust him at this point in time.

I also give Jimbo the benefit of the doubt. But, surely you can understand the reasoning (of most)?

-WRs struggled to get separation last year
-Ainias showed signs of life, but usually sat in favor of Kendrick or Buckley
-Mond did not trust either, but did trust Ainias some
-We had a slew of highly rated underclassmen sitting on the bench
-Q declared for the draft, probably no draft grade, but there was at least an argument for it
-Kendrick declared when he had little hope of getting drafted, it appeared illogical
-Ausbon opted out, some say for SJW reasons
-We dont get Chapman going until game 3, but he gets hurt (not blaming injury on Jimbo)
-Kam Brown was WR4 and he doesnt even finish the season

Yes, Demas missed SR year and spring ball was cut short. Still, most 5* WRs are ready to contribute.

It raises alot of questions. It could be that Q knew he had peaked and was ready to take his shot. It could be that Kendrick had problems, Jimbo told him how, and Kendrick didnt like it. It could be that Ainias was inconsistent in practice and Jimbo did not trust him to execute consistently. It could be that the young 4*s on the bench were so far from ready it was not worth considering. It could be that Ausbon really was mad about the statute and Mond, and Jimbo had nothing to do with it. It could be that Kam Brown is not likely to contribute in the next 2 years and we might as well clear up the space.

I give Jimbo the benefit of the doubt, b/c Sumlin's teams were quitters. Talented, but not scrappy and not hard-fighting. Made lots of fundamental mistakes. Hit them in the mouth and they folded. Jimbo cleaned that crap up and ran off losers like Klantino. Still, I need to see WR improvement in the next 1-2 years.
NoahAg
Jbob04 said:

Our WR development and rotation is terrible. We have improved across the board on both sides of the ball except for WR. It's time for something new. Gonna be some hot tears when we lose some good players because they can't get playing time behind guys that aren't making plays.
Goodness, Dems is a true freshman who hasn't played in 2 years and had almost no Fall camp. What kind of "development" are you expecting? Patience. If he's not contributing in 2021 then there might be a problem.

-We literally had our top 3 WRs leave in the offseason; 1 leaving right before the season started.
-Cupp (TE, not WR) goes down again before game 1.
-Chapman - who we've waited 2 years to break out - finally does; only to get injured.

Our WRs as a unit were certainly disappointing in the first and last games. But in between they had shown good improvement during the season. It's hard to complain too much considering injuries and quitters.

Jbob04
AG
I'm not just talking about Demas. These issues go back to last year as well. Rogers would half ass nearly every play and Jimbo still refused to pull him and let someone else play. Going to be a lot of transfers soon. Dylan Wright will be the first to go.
merch
What I don't understand is that with as big and athletic as he is, with how small our other two leading receivers are, and with how good our OL pass protection is, demas can't get on field to run a few fly patters every once in awhile. Help soften D a little?

Mond isn't that accurate but we should be able to devise some plays to get Demas one on one and throw it up to him.
NoahAg
Jbob04 said:

I'm not just talking about Demas. These issues go back to last year as well. Rogers would half ass nearly every play and Jimbo still refused to pull him and let someone else play. Going to be a lot of transfers soon. Dylan Wright will be the first to go.
Gotcha. Maybe that says a lot about the guys that didn't play. At times Rogers would look like Mike Evans. Then he'd disappear for games at a time.

As for Demas, admittedly I've never seen him play but my understanding is he dominated in HS b/c of his athletic freakishness. I can only assume his lack of play time is due to other factors: playbook, route running, etc. Maybe he just needs a year to mature and work on his football IQ.
Agsgirl
raging_agaholic said:

He may be having some family issues or just having trouble adjusting to uni life. It's alot on a young kid, not to mention having the pressure of being the expected BMOTF guy...
Agsgirl
NoahAg said:

Jbob04 said:

Gotcha. Maybe that says a lot about the guys that didn't play. At times Rogers would look like Mike Evans. Then he'd disappear for games at a time.

As for Demas, admittedly I've never seen him play but my understanding is he dominated in HS b/c of his athletic freakishness. I can only assume his lack of play time is due to other factors: playbook, route running, etc. Maybe he just needs a year to mature and work on his football IQ.
Speaking of ROGERS...where did he land in the nfl?
RG20
It's not an obsession with Demas; it is an observation that our receiving corps has been a solid dildo since Chapman went down. Don't have any other options? Then piss poor recruiting I guess.
LB12Diamond
AG
Demas not being able to get playing time by now tells me all I need to know. He's not doing what he needs to do to go along with his recruiting ranking. And he would not be the first college football player for this to happen. It's to bad, hopefully he figures it out sooner than later.
Shooz in Katy
AG
mitchdpm said:

Well, WE are ready for Demas to play and that's all that matters. And we will throw big manly hissy fits until that happens.
joefix93
AG
Agsgirl said:

Speaking of ROGERS...where did he land in the nfl?
He was an UDFA who got picked up by the Cowboys, then cut before the season started.

I wish these kids would pay attention to the resources that are being provided to them - when players are projected to be UDFA's, they need to stop listening to their families and their boys back home who pump them up telling them that their draft report is bogus.
lil_frog8
AG
I do think Craig is to blame. Although a good recruiter I don't think he has been successful as a WR coach maybe he would be better suited as a QB coach and let Jimbo and Dickey call the plays. David Beaty was a hell of a coach and recruiter when he was here. Mike Evans, Swope, EZ and company always made Johnny look good. Those scramble drills he pulled off would not happen without intuitive wide receivers and I don't think they are getting that level of coaching from Craig.
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.