Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN's latest bowl projection

10,594 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by West Point Aggie
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag's in Cotton Bowl vs OU or Iowa State. I freaking hate playing Big12 programs but if we do I hope its OU
Charlie 31
AG

Alpha Texan
AG
OU is the only school from the big 12 that I don't get the big sad thinking about playing.

Seriously though, we should be favored in our last 3 games, that puts us at 9-1. If we don't make the playoff, why would we have to play a 3 or 4 loss team? It's not like the cotton bowl has an obligation to any conference, right? Why would they want 8-3 ISU if they could snatch up 5-0 Wisconsin or or 9-1 Miami
AWP 97
AG
Well, the rumor is that bowl's are going to look at travel distance because of Covid. Not sure if true.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Why would they want 8-3 ISU if they could snatch up 5-0 Wisconsin or or 9-1 Miami
ACC has an Orange Bowl tie in. Miami is going to the Orange Bowl.

Wisconsin isn't currently high enough to make NY6.

The ISU projection assumes they win the Big 12.

Cotton Bowl is going to be Big 12 winner or a Group of 6 team. Most likely Big 12 IMO
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Seriously though, we should be favored in our last 3 games, that puts us at 9-1. If we don't make the playoff, why would we have to play a 3 or 4 loss team?

Winner of the big 12 is likely going to be a 2 loss team
Agsuffering@bulaw
Bowls always consider travel distance. Our geography just makes us attractive to the cotton and Houston. We didn't help ourselves by bringing mediocre numbers to the gator.

Anyways, oh and isu are good matchups. Ou has defensive problems. ISU plays that hybrid 3 tite. You beat that by running outside or poking it underneath when they get out of their hybrid crap and play true 3 tite.

ETA: we do both well. That crap works in the bdf bc most lack a true te.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
We've got three games to go, and if the offense doesn't wake up, all three are challenging. Let's get through those before we start buying plane tix.
amercer
AG
I assume even at 8-2 we are cotton bowl bound. Not the most exciting outcome, but at least a bowl that shouldn't get canceled. Hopefully we do to OU what the SEC teams used to do to us in bowls
threeanout
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Why would they want 8-3 ISU if they could snatch up 5-0 Wisconsin or or 9-1 Miami
ACC has an Orange Bowl tie in. Miami is going to the Orange Bowl.

Wisconsin isn't currently high enough to make NY6.

The ISU projection assumes they win the Big 12.

Cotton Bowl is going to be Big 12 winner or a Group of 6 team. Most likely Big 12 IMO
I think for sure Cotton will be Big 12 winner, unless the committee moves the semi-final sites. The Super Dome is allowing only a handful of fans and the Rose is allowing zero. Why not allow the Orange and Cotton to host the semis and host fans? It will screw up the rotation but hell everything else is screwed up this year already.
W
AG
Wisconsin (2-1) lost to Northwestern.

and the Badgers only have 2 games left.

a 4-1 team is not getting an at-large berth in the NY6

that would be crazy
W
AG
and a moment of silence for the Sun Bowl.

cancelled today
Alpha Texan
AG
W said:

and a moment of silence for the Sun Bowl.

cancelled today
shoot... if garbage tier bowls keep cancelling at this rate, a majority of the bowl games are actually gonna be worth watching.
rootube
AG
AWP 97 said:

Well, the rumor is that bowl's are going to look at travel distance because of Covid. Not sure if true.

This is probably true but can we all agree it's stupid? I mean you are either traveling or not. COVID doesn't have a frequent flyer program that I am aware of.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I think it happens. The difference between selling 30k tickets and 0 tickets is huge. Figure scarcity further inflates prices. These tOSU, Wiscy, USCw, Neb fans who have not seen their teams play live all year would probably pay unreasonable prices to see their team live once this year.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

This is probably true but can we all agree it's stupid? I mean you are either traveling or not. COVID doesn't have a frequent flyer program that I am aware of.

Economic reality:

The normal business model expects certain travel costs. It expects certain revenue from tickets, parking and concessions. The amount of revenue will be down b/c of attendance restrictions. The travel costs will increase due to distancing requirements.

For bowls permitted to sell tickets:

More fans attend if they can buy a tank of gas instead of plane tickets.

For all:

Distancing means more seats necessary on a plane or bus. Bus cost a lot less than plane seats.
rootube
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

Economic reality:

The normal business model expects certain travel costs. It expects certain revenue from tickets, parking and concessions. The amount of revenue will be down b/c of attendance restrictions. The travel costs will increase due to distancing requirements.

For bowls permitted to sell tickets:

More fans attend if they can buy a tank of gas instead of plane tickets.

For all:

Distancing means more seats necessary on a plane or bus. Bus cost a lot less than plane seats.

OK. This is perfectly fine. Then just say it's because of money and not make up some BS about COVID. It's not like the risk of getting COVID increases with the miles traveled.
erube
AG
If we go 9-1, we would go to the Orange Bowl as they get the highest ranked non-playoff team of B10/SEC to go against the highest ranked non-playoff team of ACC. So at 9-1 and #5 seed it would be Orange likely against Miami.

https://www.secsports.com/article/18165241/bowl-selection-process

3) How can a SEC Team be selected to participate in the Orange Bowl?

When the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and a SEC team is the highest ranked team by the CFP Selection Committee among the non-champions of the SEC and Big Ten and ranked higher than Notre Dame after the CFP semifinal games have been filled, then that team will participate in the Orange Bowl . There are eight years in which the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and the SEC is guaranteed three of the eight years, the Big Ten is guaranteed three of the eight years and the remaining two years can be filled by Notre Dame, the SEC or the Big Ten based on CFP Selection Committee rankings . The SEC Champion can never participate in the Orange Bowl unless it is a semifinal game.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

We've got three games to go, and if the offense doesn't wake up, all three are challenging. Let's get through those before we start buying plane tix.
I'll start two a days and watching film right now. How about the rest of you guys?
Dr RC
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Bowls always consider travel distance. Our geography just makes us attractive to the cotton and Houston. We didn't help ourselves by bringing mediocre numbers to the gator.

We brought mediocre numbers to the Music City and Belk. Our numbers for the Gator were straight up bad.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
erube said:

If we go 9-1, we would go to the Orange Bowl as they get the highest ranked non-playoff team of B10/SEC to go against the highest ranked non-playoff team of ACC. So at 9-1 and #5 seed it would be Orange likely against Miami.

https://www.secsports.com/article/18165241/bowl-selection-process

3) How can a SEC Team be selected to participate in the Orange Bowl?

When the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and a SEC team is the highest ranked team by the CFP Selection Committee among the non-champions of the SEC and Big Ten and ranked higher than Notre Dame after the CFP semifinal games have been filled, then that team will participate in the Orange Bowl . There are eight years in which the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and the SEC is guaranteed three of the eight years, the Big Ten is guaranteed three of the eight years and the remaining two years can be filled by Notre Dame, the SEC or the Big Ten based on CFP Selection Committee rankings . The SEC Champion can never participate in the Orange Bowl unless it is a semifinal game.

Last year, No. 9 Florida defeated No. 24 ACC Coastal Champion Virginia 36-28 in the Orange Bowl. So, we could be playing Miami in the Orange Bowl.
Stone44
AG
Orange would be great. We would kick a$$ against the ACC. I don't want tp play at Jerry's World.
monarch
S
Yes, I am hearing this everywhere. McElroy and his morning sidekick have discussed it once or twice.
Peace for Ukraine!
BMX Bandit
but what that doesn't say is the "but because of COVD, anything goes" thats why I think we ultimately end up in Cotton and Florida in Orange. (and don't put it past the committee to snooker the rankings at the end to put us right behind florida)
greg.w.h
AG
Win out. Then worry about what happens next. And play one game at a time.

I'll note the NY6 games in spite of their prestige (think Rose Bowl) are second-tier games. A semi spot is available if we win out. Let's git'er done, boys.
wbt5845
AG
greg.w.h said:

Win out. Then worry about what happens next. And play one game at a time.

I'll note the NY6 games in spite of their prestige (think Rose Bowl) are second-tier games. A semi spot is available if we win out. Let's git'er done, boys.

Thanks coach I'll start watching film now.
rsf0626
I dont think our fan base travels well, unless its for a game thats close by. Cotton bowl would make the most sense if left out of the CFP, but man it would be nice to play somewhere outside of Texas
rsf0626
W
AG
and a moment of silence now for the Las Vegas Bowl (and its SEC tie-in)..

officially cancelled.

HelloUncleNateFitch
It would be Jerry's Curse if the year we finally don't have to play Arkansas in that awful mausoleum we'd end up playing there anyway in the Cotton Bowl.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Guessing few bowls will have much attendance this year.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

(and don't put it past the committee to snooker the rankings at the end to put us right behind florida)

They couldn't possibly justify it even a little bit if we had 1 loss and Florida had 2, including the head to head. I just don't see it.
TXAG 05
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Guessing few bowls will have much attendance this year.

Most aren't well attended anyway.
TAM85
If we do not make the CFP, Orange Bowl v. Miami would be great!
BJC
AG
Amidst this (unprecedented) craziness of this year, this would be a great catalyst to finally institute the Division I-FBS playoff to where everybody can have a fair shot at the Division I-FBS national title (aka CFP National Championship). My proposal would be for a 12-team playoff.

All 10 Division I-FBS conference champions would get an automatic bid with two at-large spots available for the highest-ranked non-conference champions (including Division I-FBS independents); top four would get a first-round bye. Playoff games would be at home of the higher-ranked team until the national championship game at a neutral predetermined site.

This way, the Division I-FBS national title can be decided where it belongs: on the field with less politics. As for the teams that did not make the playoff, if they qualify, there will be a total of ten lower-tier "bowls/classics" that they can play.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
TAM85
Pretty interesting idea, but we're too far down the road for this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.