Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ohio state

5,526 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
aggieman27
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Likely their next game against MSU will be canceled. This will eliminate them from Big 10 championship game since they need to play 6 games to qualify. I can't imagine a 5-0 team makes CFP. Yet another opening for the Ags. I believe we control our own destiny. Just win and in.
GCP12
AG
I think the BIG will change the rules to get osu into the title game.
BANA89
AG
B10 under the thumb of OSU will find a loophole to not let that happen.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
bmks270
AG
A 5 win team with 4 of the 5 teams ending up being losers, does not merit being in the playoff.
vonmazor
I mean.. they are really good and have a good reputation and talent. They might be in even with 5 games. I'd rather Notre dame just win then count on this.
sharpdressedman
GCP12 said:

I think the BIG will change the rules to get osu into the title game.
Yep. There are millions of $$$ and the BIG's pride at stake.
rootube
AG
The reason you can be sure they will get in is because they have not played a single team of note and they are still consensus top four.
Alpha Texan
AG
Fun fact: the B1G doesn't have just a championship GAME, but a whole weekend where both divisions play from top to bottom, so they will still be playing a 6th game, but it won't be for the championship.

So they will still be a 6-0 team, but not conference champion.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Fun thought: MSU is cancelled b/c of OSU's Covid issues, so the Big 10 claims OSU might still be eligible for the conference championship b/c of a lower average of games played, BUT Michigan cancels their game with Ohio State b/c of alleged Covid just to screw OSU over.
Bison
AG
Ag in Tiger Country said:

Fun thought: MSU is cancelled b/c of OSU's Covid issues, so the Big 10 claims OSU might still be eligible for the conference championship b/c of a lower average of games played, BUT Michigan cancels their game with Ohio State b/c of alleged Covid just to screw OSU over.

Nebraska also has motive to screw with the Big Ten management at this point. But I think the loud screaming ball is going to come from Indiana, because they would be the East representative if Ohio State isn't eligible. I wonder if it's going to take unanimous vote to change the rule here, or if they can get by with a 9 to 3 vote
aggiebrad94
AG
I'm not sure that is correct. I thought you had to play 60% of the league's average of games plyed. If ever y other Big 10 team only played 7 games, they're still good. I expect league wide outages if OSU is in jeopardy.
45-70Ag
AG
Ryan Day and Barry Alvarez are two of the four decision makers on the committee about number of games and the championship game.

Nebraska won't have a say.
TMartin
The NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis, the Midwest has huge numbers of TV sets and many announcers are from Big 10 schools......Ohio State is in.
Alpha Texan
AG

now that would be legendary. Might even save Harbaugh's job
Earl_Rudder
AG

Michigan just paused all team activities.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/michigan-wolverines-football-team-activities-paused-covid-19-155698738/

If they have a 14 day layoff due to contact tracing OSU is out of the B1G CCG.
GarryowenAg
AG
Please let this happen
merch
I seriously doubt committee puts a 6 win team in....especially if others play 9+ games. Just isn't fair.

OSU may be one of best teams, they may not be, but they just were not able to prove it. Can't penalize everybody else for that.

We complain about 13 point win over LSU. OSU beat Penn State (yea that crappy team with 1 win) by 13. They were in nail biter with Indiana...who fumbles twice in red zone or likely they lose that game. Committee talks game control, etc. OSU didn't have game control in those games, we did against LSU.
PascalsWager
AG
The margin for victory over LSU is irrelevant.

The problem is the 4 TD loss to Bama.

And if you want to argue they haven't beaten anyone outside of Indiana, then our non-Florida wins are 10-29.
Saint Pablo
B1G keeping OSU would be like the Big 12 trying to keep Texas out. Not gonna happen.
Saint Pablo
PascalsWager said:

And if you want to argue they haven't beaten anyone outside of Indiana, then our non-Florida wins are 10-29.
Indiana=/=Florida. Indiana shot up the rankings off a week 1 win against then top 10 Penn State and then a week 3 win against then top 25 Michigan. Those two ranked wins are now 1-5 and 2-4 respectively. I think Indiana is pretty overrated. Florida's offense is elite, they have a nice win against a solid UGA squad, and a nice performance against a top 5 team.

I think that the 10-29 combined record over our opponents is a bummer because of the all SEC schedule. The conference is cannibalizing itself...LSU likely would be 7-4 had they played their non-conference slate, rather than 3-4.
BMX Bandit
they won't need to change the rules.

they will just cancel enough other games to make tOSU eligible for the championship.
merch
So cancel rest of games and let OSU play in championship and have 5-0 record? You think that gets them in? Not big enough body of work. Shoot, Cincinnati would have better claim than a 5-0 OSU.

ATM loss was second week of season, committee factors that in as well.

As announcers frequently point out, these are 18-21 year old kids...crazy hard to win all games you play, can't assume OSU would have.

The key phrase committee tells us over and over again is "body of work". OSU may not have that this year...just is what it is.
BMX Bandit
but if 3-0 tOSU was ranked over teams with 6 and 7 wins, why can't 6-0 B16 champ tOSU be ranked ahead of 9 win teams?

If this were Wisconsin or Oregon, I wouldn't be concerned. but this is one of the bluest of college football blue bloods.
PascalsWager
AG
Saint Pablo said:

PascalsWager said:

Indiana=/=Florida. Indiana shot up the rankings off a week 1 win against then top 10 Penn State and then a week 3 win against then top 25 Michigan. Those two ranked wins are now 1-5 and 2-4 respectively. I think Indiana is pretty overrated. Florida's offense is elite, they have a nice win against a solid UGA squad, and a nice performance against a top 5 team.

I think that the 10-29 combined record over our opponents is a bummer because of the all SEC schedule. The conference is cannibalizing itself...LSU likely would be 7-4 had they played their non-conference slate, rather than 3-4.
Everyone is canabalizing themselves except, hilariously, the Big 12 who's been destroyed by the Sunbelt.

The committee isn't giving Indiana any credit for beating Penn State or Michigan. But if you want to play that game where you give LSU three free wins, then Michigan could be 7-5 and Penn State could be .500.

If you want to argue that what would be a 9-1 Florida is top 5 team and what would be an 8-1 Indiana team is top 15, that's fair. But you could add three freebies to just about everyone.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Too much money at stake. The playoff berth means something like $2 mil for each B1G program. They probably hurt worse than most with zero ticket revenue.

If Michigan cannot go, I bet the B1G finds tOSU a game that week or lets them play BYU.
AG
bmks270 said:

A 5 win team with 4 of the 5 teams ending up being losers, does not merit being in the playoff.

This is true, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Too much money at stake. The playoff berth means something like $2 mil for each B1G program. They probably hurt worse than most with zero ticket revenue.

If Michigan cannot go, I bet the B1G finds tOSU a game that week or lets them play BYU.

And this is exactly why the playoff needs to be expanded.

It isn't about letting the four best teams play for a championship. It's about the four best teams that fit into their political scenario playing for a championship.

If the four best teams in the country are all from the SEC, we will never know who the best team is because the committee will never let them all in.

And the whole "undefeated or one loss conference champion has to get in" mentality is how we get the OUs of the world in every year just to waste a spot.
Iowaggie
AG
Playoff committee is only charged to select the top 4 teams to the playoffs.
They can still bring in undefeated 4-0 Ohio State if it fits their criteria, especially as it could assist them in avoiding the decision on which one loss team to bring in.

Bring in 4-0 or 5-0 OSU, justifies whatever 5-0 Pac Champion, add undefeated Alabama, and bring in ACC champion.

And to everyone else, they can say they should have gone undefeated playing a P5 conference schedule.
Saint Pablo
PascalsWager said:

Saint Pablo said:

PascalsWager said:

Everyone is canabalizing themselves except, hilariously, the Big 12 who's been destroyed by the Sunbelt.

The committee isn't giving Indiana any credit for beating Penn State or Michigan. But if you want to play that game where you give LSU three free wins, then Michigan could be 7-5 and Penn State could be .500.

If you want to argue that what would be a 9-1 Florida is top 5 team and what would be an 8-1 Indiana team is top 15, that's fair. But you could add three freebies to just about everyone.
That is fair about the free wins, I was just using that to illustrate that the 10-29 record feels a bit misleading since it wouldn't be anywhere near that in a normal year.

My primary point is that I don't believe Indiana and Florida are anywhere close to being in the same class.
AG
Iowaggie said:

They can still bring in undefeated 4-0 Ohio State if it fits their criteria, especially as it could assist them in avoiding the decision on which one loss team to bring in.

Bring in 4-0 or 5-0 OSU, justifies whatever 5-0 Pac Champion, add undefeated Alabama, and bring in ACC champion.

And to everyone else, they can say they should have gone undefeated playing a P5 conference schedule.

You make my point for me.

All conferences are not equal. Who cares if you are a conference champion if your conference is akin to playing in a junior high league?

It should be the best teams, period. That will never happen in a 4 team format because of the political ramifications.
uujm
Alpha Texan said:

Fun fact: the B1G doesn't have just a championship GAME, but a whole weekend where both divisions play from top to bottom, so they will still be playing a 6th game, but it won't be for the championship.

So they will still be a 6-0 team, but not conference champion.
Iowaggie
AG
4 said:

Iowaggie said:

You make my point for me.

All conferences are not equal. Who cares if you are a conference champion if your conference is akin to playing in a junior high league?

It should be the best teams, period. That will never happen in a 4 team format because of the political ramifications.

Yeah, I've been saying that for years, but that last line (Just go undefeated) is alway what the 2 or 4-team playoff proponents always say, especially win discussing UCF, BYU, Cinci, etc.

The 4 team playoff puts schools in the toughest conferences, especially in the toughest divisions, at a great disadvantage, especially since the first criteria for the committee has always been counting losses for P5 schools.
Iowaggie
AG
By the way, the Big Ten championship game will be without Mike Penix, potential cousin of Mike Hunt.

Amazingly, the Northwestern qb is a grad transfer from IU. So the Big Ten championship game could be this year's backup QB from Indiana playing last year's backup QB from Indiana.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Punish the big10 for ****ing around. They could have started like the rest of us but chose to virtue signal.

Their champ can go to rose for NY6 or whatever they are tied to.
West Point Aggie
AG

This would be a most delightful turn of events and would make that rivalry even spicier...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.