Story Poster
Photo by Stephen Lew-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Aggies have plenty to play for against LSU, but revenge is not on the list

November 27, 2020

So much is at stake for Texas A&M when the Aggies face the struggling defending national champion LSU on Saturday at Kyle Field.

They’re playing to extend their winning streak. They’re playing to keep their championship aspirations intact. But they are not playing for revenge.

A&M coach Jimbo Fisher acknowledged the pursuit of redemption for last year’s 50-7 loss in Baton Rouge is human nature. However, he said seeking revenge can be counterproductive to reaching the primary goal.

“I always felt revenge clouds your thinking. You’ve got to base on what you have now and who you are and what you do.”
- A&m head coach Jimbo Fisher

For the Aggies (5-1), that’s maintaining a high ranking in the College Football Playoff standings.

“You want to win because somebody had success against you. I mean, that’s human nature,” Fisher said. “That’s common. You want to stand back up and represent your program and what you’re doing. Hopefully, we’ll play well.

“But I don’t ever get into revenge because their group of guys (from last season) are gone. Our group of guys are gone. Some are here. Some aren’t. I always felt revenge clouds your thinking. You’ve got to base on what you have now and who you are and what you do.”

Now, the Aggies are riding a four-game winning streak that propelled them to No. 5 in the initial College Football Playoff rankings.

A&M averages 189 rushing yards to rank second in the Southeastern Conference and leads the SEC in total defense.

Running back Isaiah Spiller has rushed for 643 yards. Quarterback Kellen Mond has thrown 12 touchdown passes and just one interception during the four-game winning streak. The offensive line has allowed just two sacks all season. A&M’s defense has held five of its six opponents to 109 rushing yards or less.

Conversely, LSU has been the definition of inconsistently.

The Tigers (3-3) followed a 41-7 victory over Vanderbilt with a 45-41 loss to Missouri. They followed a 54-24 victory over South Carolina with a 48-11 loss to Auburn.

The offense has been sluggish. LSU’s typically powerful running game has produced 80 yards or less in its three losses. Freshman quarterback T.J. Finley, thrust into the lineup because of an injury to starter Myles Brennan, has been wildly inconsistent.

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports
Finley has been inconsistent since taking over for the injured Myles Brennan.

Most surprising, the Tigers' defense has been uncharacteristically vulnerable. Four opposing quarterbacks have passed 300 yards are more. LSU has allowed 21 pass plays of 30 yards or more — the most in the SEC.

A&M aims to continue playing at a high level and capitalize on LSU’s problems. That may require shaking off some rust accumulated in three idle weeks.

The Aggies' last two scheduled games were postponed because of COVID-19 issues.

However, Fisher doesn’t expect that break to be an issue. He’s confident the Aggies will be ready to play well.

“LSU is always going to get your attention because of what they’ve accomplished and what they’ve done, no doubt,” he said. “But I think right now, not playing for three weeks, it wouldn’t matter who we’re playing. It’s going to our attention.”

An A&M victory would retain the attention of the College Football Playoff Committee. That’s more important to the Aggies than any revenge.

“To get to the top of the mountain — where you want to go — you’ve got to take it one step at a time,” Fisher said. “That’s another step.”

Discussion from...

Aggies have plenty to play for against LSU, but revenge is not on the list

4,247 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texag0928
Slyfox07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree with all of this

Except the part about revenge not being on the list.

That's horse ****
Spyderman
AG
50-7
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
texag0928
Not revenge, just don't take our foot off of their throat if we do get up. Just my .02
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.