Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do we want Auburn to beat Alabama?

6,116 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gil Renard
Texags Meltdown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On one hand, it would make our loss to Alabama look significantly worse if Auburn wins but at the same time in the instance Florida wins the SEC, if Bama has losses to Auburn and Florida, we get in over them.
AvidAggie
AG
We want Auburn to beat Bama
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Yes
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Not if we want to make the playoffs. There is a greater chance we make the playoffs with bama undefeated than the odds of bama losing two games this season.
AvidAggie
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Not if we want to make the playoffs. There is a greater chance we make the playoffs with bama undefeated than the odds of bama losing two games this season.

Yes but we want the loser of the SEC championship game to be automatically out of it. I think people seem to assume Florida will lose to Bama but I think Florida has a real chance to win that game.

If that's the case Bama would only have 1 loss and they would absolutely get in over us.
hunter2012
AG
we want North Carolina to beat Notre Dame. That's the bigger game for us. removes the chance of the ACC runner-up from making the playoff.
Proposition Joe
Without a doubt we want Auburn to beat Alabama and North Carolina to beat Notre Dame.

Any impact to our resume from "oh Alabama really wasn't unbeatable" would be countered by a win @ a then Top 15 Auburn.
greg.w.h
AG
Our season looks better if others take a late loss against less capable teams.
PyriteAg
AG
AvidAggie said:

How will that work for our playoff chances?
AvidAggie
AG
Dario said:

AvidAggie said:

The loser of the SEC Championship game is automatically eliminated if Auburn beats Alabama.

This is also why we want ND to lose to UNC.

We should want all conference championship game losers to have two losses.
PyriteAg
AG
AvidAggie said:

Dario said:

AvidAggie said:

The loser of the SEC Championship game is automatically eliminated if Auburn beats Alabama.

But they have a head-to-head win against us.
AvidAggie said:

Dario said:

AvidAggie said:

That is one way but in this hypothetical world if bama wins out Florida is eliminated. If notre dame wins out Clemson would be eliminated with two losses as well. We sit at 5th right now. We would move up. What's great is if we win out there are multiple possible scenarios that could play out that benefit the Ags. Still a long ways to go.
Divining Rod
I dont think you get it, Detmer.

with Bama undefeated, we have an uphill battle should they lose to Florida. With one loss Bama, we're good no matter which way the CCG goes. Bamas loss will have ZERO impact on our chances should Bama won the CCG.

AvidAggie
AG
Dario said:

AvidAggie said:

Dario said:

AvidAggie said:

But they have a head-to-head win against us.

Yes but if Auburn were to beat Alabama...our win against Auburn in a couple weeks would look soooo much better.

Head to head against Alabama won't matter if they lose to both Auburn and Florida. We would get in over them with just the one loss.
TexanJeff
AG
We want anyone and everyone to beat Bama whenever possible.

HTH
ironmanag
AG
Not this season out best hope is for Bama for win out for us to win out have ND lose twice and Bama beat Florida in the SEC championship.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BigSneezy
I believe if Bama loses that's always a good thing. Florida's QB is superior to Bama's. I believe the conference championship will be a shootout.

Florida very well could win that game. It's going to come down to QB execution. And my money would be on Trask in that battle due to experience.

So yes, losing to Auburn would be a good thing, but it's not gonna happen.

Proposition Joe
ironmanag said:

Not this season out best hope is for Bama for win out for us to win out have ND lose twice and Bama beat Florida in the SEC championship.

Ok, in that scenario why would it better for Bama to beta Florida in the SEC Championship with 0 losses rather than 1 loss?

If 1-loss Alabama beats Florida in the SEC-CG, it is no different than 0-loss Alabama beating Florida in the SEC-CG -- they are still getting in above us.

The idea is IF Florida beats Alabama in the SEC-CG, a 1-loss Alabama maybe (likely?) still gets the nod over us since they have head-to-head and made the CG. A 2-loss Alabama would not.
Divining Rod said:

with Bama undefeated, we have an uphill battle should they lose to Florida. With one loss Bama, we're good no matter which way the CCG goes. Bamas loss will have ZERO impact on our chances should Bama won the CCG.

Oh I get it. It's not rocket science. We want bama to win out. That includes in the sec title game. Do you really believe our best odds are bama losing two of the next 4 games? That is not going to happen. Bama wins out including sec title game. Notre dame wins out Clemson is eliminated because notre dame would have beaten them twice. That would leave bama, notre dame, Ohio st, and tamu. Clemson would have two losses and Florida would have two losses we would be in playoff. The odds of bama going undefeated and notre dame beating Clemson again are better than bama losing twice.

Bama is not going to lose twice unless Covid wipes out half their team. They are that good this year.
Proposition Joe

Divining Rod said:

Oh I get it. It's not rocket science. We want bama to win out. That includes in the sec title game. Do you really believe our best odds are bama losing two of the next 4 games? That is not going to happen. Bama wins out including sec title game. Notre dame wins out Clemson is eliminated because notre dame would have beaten them twice. That would leave bama, notre dame, Ohio st, and tamu. Clemson would have two losses and Florida would have two losses we would be in playoff. The odds of bama going undefeated and notre dame beating Clemson again are better than bama losing twice.

Bama is not going to lose twice unless Covid wipes out half their team. They are that good this year.

You still don't get it.

Yes, the odds of Bama losing twice is unlikely.

That doesn't mean that Bama going undefeated benefits us.

We don't have to "choose" which scenario is more likely, we want as many scenarios that benefit us to still be possible.

We do not want an undefeated Alabama to be playing a 1-loss Florida in the SEC-CG. As far as the SEC teams go, that is the worst case scenario for us.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Bama losing eliminates a Florida win over bama keeping us out

Plus it gives us another high quality win if we beat auburn

Go war eagle
MouthBQ98
AG
Bama wins, then that works out best for us.

Basded on the results of the SEC champ game, we would be the only that beat Florida if they win, or our only loss would be to the SEC champ with Florida only losing to them and us, but out if the picture also.

What we really need is something eliminating one of the ACC teams over us.
Proposition Joe
MouthBQ98 said:

Basded on the results of the SEC champ game, we would be the only that beat Florida if they win

Which would make Alabama 10-1, with a loss in the conference championship game.

Texas A&M would be 9-1, having not played in the conference championship game.

And Alabama won the head-to-head by 28.

Who do you think the committee would put in, Alabama or A&M?

We want Alabama to lose tomorrow.
AvidAggie
AG
Alabama going undefeated does not benefit us in any way. It will all come down to the SEC Championship game. We want each team to have one loss at that point cause I really think Florida has a good shot of beating Bama.

IF Florida beats Bama and Bama beats Auburn, they will be 10-1 which will put both Florida and Bama in over us.

That is the worst case scenario as we will be the 3rd option from the same conference.
Proposition Joe said:

Divining Rod said:

You still don't get it.

We don't have to "choose" which scenario is more likely, we want as many scenarios that benefit us to still be possible.

We do not want an undefeated Alabama to be playing a 1-loss Florida in the SEC-CG. As far as the SEC teams go, that is the worst case scenario for us.

In this scenario the only way it is a negative is if florida wins. Florida isn't beating bama.

AvidAggie
AG

Proposition Joe said:

Divining Rod said:

You still don't get it.

In this scenario the only way it is a negative is if florida wins. Florida isn't beating bama.

Bama is definitely vulnerable, especially on defense. Florida will put up some point against them.
AvidAggie said:

Proposition Joe said:

Divining Rod said:

You still don't get it.

Bama is definitely vulnerable, especially on defense. Florida will put up some point against them.

Let me preface my opinion of bama as someone who does not like bama.

To me from what I have seen especially over the last few games is a team and especially a defense that is hitting its stride. They have given up a total of 20 points in the last 3 games. They have scored 152.
threeanout
AG
Proposition Joe said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Basded on the results of the SEC champ game, we would be the only that beat Florida if they win

I fell asleep arguing this same thing last night with someone on the premium board. If we win out, there are only two scenarios that can keep us out of the CFP (assuming most all games are played) and that is a one loss Florida beating an undefeated Bama in the SECCG and/or a one loss Clemson beating an undefeated ND in the ACCCG. That is it, no other way

So if you can eliminate the possibility of both scenarios occurring, why would anyone not want that??
AvidAggie
AG
threeanout said:

Proposition Joe said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I fell asleep arguing this same thing last night with someone on the premium board. If we win out, there are only two scenarios that can keep us out of the CFP (assuming most all games are played) and that is a one loss Florida beating an undefeated Bama in the SECCG and/or a one loss Clemson beating an undefeated ND in the ACCCG. That is it, no other way

So if you can eliminate the possibility of both scenarios occurring, why anyone not want that??

Exactly this. Which is why we want ND and Bama to lose before the Conference Championship games.

Yes...Auburn beating Bama is highly unlikely but this is the outcome A&M wants.
AGAZ03
AG
Gents,

The SEC only gets two in the Playoff if there is an undefeated team and 1 loss team.

The SEC will not get 2-1 loss teams in. So we want Bama to win out because it makes our loss look favorable.

Why is this soo hard to understand?
threeanout
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Gents,

The SEC only gets two in the Playoff if there is an undefeated team and 1 loss team.

The SEC will not get 2-1 loss teams in. So we want Bama to win out because it makes our loss look favorable.

Surely you are not serious??
PyriteAg
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Gents,

Yeah, I'm honestly wondering what people are smoking on this thread.

We need Bama to win out. Period. It gets REAL shaky if they lose but beat Florida.
neAGle96
AG
No. Not if we want to get into the playoffs
threeanout
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Gents,

Would you like to make a small wager, say like our houses, that if A&M, Florida and Bama all have one loss and ND wins the ACC that the SEC gets (2) one loss teams in?
Bison
AG
Okay, this is giving me a headache, but I think I see the thesis: a 10-1 Bama is going to be seeded 2 or 3, while an 11-0 Bama is seeded 1. If we get in, we get seeded at 4, therefore we want Bama to lose to avoid the rematch in the first round.

This is a needle's eye to thread, though. This assumes that the committee will not downgrade the Aggies for losing to a presumably a team that gets beaten itself. Florida will take care of itself either way: as a one-loss SEC champion, we can say we beat them; if they lose, they're out of the way anyway. The worry would be that the committee could go ahead and jump Cincy over us in this scenario of 10-1 Bama as champs.

You DO want Clemson to lose, because that puts them out of the ACC race and brings in Miami.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.