Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Holiday Bowl canceled; may not be the last (wasn't the first)

5,076 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
Bison
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holiday Bowl canceled this season due to coronavirus pandemic

1) Does not directly affect us because this was Pac-12 and ACC. However, there could be ripple effects in the at-large slots out there.

2) The Rose Bowl is hosting a semi-final still, however. What if the NCAA comes under pressure to move the game out of state (hot spot, too risky, unable to accommodate fans, schools won't let their athletes travel to California, Godzilla alert, etc etc)? Does it find another bowl to host it? Would it displace an existing bowl game? THAT could have some serious ripple effects.

I think we could be seeing some situations down the road where teams get hosed out of bowls because another team's slot in a different bowl was canceled and the conference decided to make a switch.
West Point Aggie
AG
Make the Alamo Bowl the National Semi...profit for SA!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Dr Lane Trowlan
Rose Bowl in Vegas?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Good. There are too many bowls.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I thought the holiday bowl might survive bc the payout is relatively good. There are about 10 bowls in blue states besides the rose bowl. I figured most would not happen.
W
AG
the Pac-12 may not participate in bowls this year. And the west coast may not host any.

the Cotton Bowl or Orange Bowl would gladly agree to be the new playoff semi-final if need be
W
AG
sidenote...the Redbox bowl in Santa Clara was cancelled back in August. It also had a Pac-12 tie-in.

wonder what the Sun Bowl is thinking...will the Pac-12 send a team to El Paso
Agsuffering@bulaw
There are 16 more bowls in red and purple states with payouts of under 2 mil.

There are 11 non-ny6 bowls in red/purple states that pay over $2 mil.

My guess is that most of the big 11 happen. My guess is that half or so of the 16 happen.

Will turn on how much attendance respective governors permit and whether tv carriers will up the payments to make up some of the difference.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The attendance at most of these small bowls usually meet the Covid restrictions in normal years.
Why cancel them? Lol
AggieDub14
AG
They shouldn't let any team under 70% win rate in bowls this year. Make bowls matter again!
Hey Nav
AG
Too sad.

The Holiday Bowl, in San Diego, during the Holiday season, is one of my favorite bowl venues.

sharpdressedman
It is quickly approaching the time when solid commitments galore must be finalized. I anticipate more cancellations.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Keep Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Peach, Holiday, and Sun Bowl.

Dump the rest. Make going to a bowl actually mean something again.
74AnimalA
AG
Anyone notice a pattern?

Let's see Siri, list all the Bowl Games in states that are still on LOCK DOWN. So.....

California, Hawaii, New York, throw in the Bahama's.....
Jock 07
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Not if they play it in that Alamodome ****hole.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I wonder if they might create a "bubble" and host the whole playoff in one stadium.

On one hand, multiple bowls would be hugely ticked off. On the other hand, the winning bowl would be crazy delighted. And nobody will want to risk postponing the playoffs because of a covid outbreak, so I could see a "bubble" scenario happening.
Thanks and gig'em
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Orange?
Luke The Drifter
AG
Jock 07 said:

West Point Aggie said:

The Alamodome is not a great venue, but the Alamo Bowl is a FANTASTIC event. With the downtown SA area so close to the stadium, hotels within walking distance, and San Antonio being a destination city for fans of schools like Iowa State, K-State, WVU, oSu, Tech, and such...it makes for a great combination. (I'd throw in Pac-12 schools on the list, but none of them travel or support their team for squat.) Plus, being inside during December is a plus.

Yea, the actual stadium could be better...it's not much to look at...but the Alamo Bowl is exactly what a post-season event/bowl game should look like.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Eric Forman
AG
I was at the Alamo Bowl where the Ags played Penn State (1999); the infamous one where Sandusky did his thing. The Ags got pounded and apparently so did some young one. As far as I'm concerned, the Alamo Bowl is gutter trash to me now.
Agsuffering@bulaw
True, but the bowl cannot just put a tarp on the end zone seats and sell the good seats. People are likely required to spread out among all the seats.

They don't get to sell the filets and trash the chuck.
Haricougar
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Leave out the Orange bowl?
Luke The Drifter
AG
With 127 or so D-I teams, I think a schedule of 20 bowl games would be fine. That way about 1/3 of the teams would make the post-season...as opposed to the 60-something percent that made it last year. When it's actually statistically harder to *miss* a bowl game than make one, that's a problem. I'm all for more college football games, but watching two 6-6 teams play in an 85% empty stadium doesn't trip my trigger.

I'd keep these games:

• National Title Game - does not count as one of the 20
  • Orange
  • Sugar
  • Rose
  • Fiesta
  • Cotton
  • Peach
  • Liberty
  • Alamo
  • Sun
  • Independence
  • Las Vegas
  • Hawaii
  • Holiday
  • Gator
  • Outback
  • Citrus
  • 4 more 'minor' games of your choosing

That way all of the bowl games are either traditional, well-supported, or in a fun destination location. Plus, only 40 teams from all 10 conferences (plus independents) make the post season.

Bowl bids:

6 - SEC
6 - ACC
6 - Big 10
4 - Pac-12
4 - Big 12
3 - American
2 - C-USA
2 - MAC
2 - Mountain West
2 - Sun Belt
3 - Independents/at-large

Then make the bowl requirement to be 7 wins...and no credit for beating FCS/I-AA teams.

Problem solved!
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Aggie97
AG
The Rose Bowl has been moved before. I believe the 1942 game was moved Durham, NC between Duke and Oregon State because of WWII
94chem
Luke The Drifter said:

Jock 07 said:

West Point Aggie said:

The Alamodome is not a great venue, but the Alamo Bowl is a FANTASTIC event. With the downtown SA area so close to the stadium, hotels within walking distance, and San Antonio being a destination city for fans of schools like Iowa State, K-State, WVU, oSu, Tech, and such...it makes for a great combination. (I'd throw in Pac-12 schools on the list, but none of them travel or support their team for squat.) Plus, being inside during December is a plus.

Yea, the actual stadium could be better...it's not much to look at...but the Alamo Bowl is exactly what a post-season event/bowl game should look like.

The Big 10 loves driving north to go to the Alamo Bowl.
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Jock 07 said:

West Point Aggie said:

The Alamodome just got a very nice renovation. Its a lot nicer now. Not the biggest but good enough for a bowl game.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Orange?

Forgot Orange.
p-wonk01
AG
You could always have multiple bowls in the same stadium
Matsui
AG
We are down to 34 bowls. Down 7.
Luke The Drifter
AG
94chem said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Jock 07 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Driving south?

But the Big 10 isn't part of the Alamo Bowl anymore. It's Big 12 vs. Pac-12. I'm fairly certain the Alamo would LOVE to get the Big 10 back.

NyAggie
AG
Quote:

They shouldn't let any team under 70% win rate in bowls this year. Make bowls matter again!

Ncaa has already come out and said there is no win requirement to make a bowl game this season

Theoretically an 0-10 team can be in a bowl game this season

94chem
Luke The Drifter said:

94chem said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Jock 07 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Driving south?

But the Big 10 isn't part of the Alamo Bowl anymore. It's Big 12 vs. Pac-12. I'm fairly certain the Alamo would LOVE to get the Big 10 back.

Nope. North. Mostly snowbirds.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
NyAggie said:

Quote:

Ncaa has already come out and said there is no win requirement to make a bowl game this season

Theoretically an 0-10 team can be in a bowl game this season

"So you're saying there's a chance..."
/Vanderbilt
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.