Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis commits to Texas A&M

October 10, 2020

When the Aggies offered La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis‍ on June 1, it quickly became clear that Texas A&M would be a major player in his recruiting process. Now, it is clear that A&M is not just a player; they are the choice.

Regis has always been a big-bodied athlete who has been a versatile standout on the football field. He has lined up at running back, H-back, receiver and along the defensive front.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and he’s the biggest, most athletic kid that I’ve ever coached,” La Porte head coach Anthony Renfro said. “His size and his ability, I think, is what makes him so intriguing. And he's 6-3, he's about 290 right now. He slimmed down a little bit since we've been playing. He still can run, still has his speed. I think that's what's so intriguing about him.”

His explosion and quickness impressed Texas A&M at camp in the summer of 2019, but at 6-1, 250-pounds his size was something coaches wanted to monitor. His early summer measurements came back at 6-foot-3, 290-pounds, which prompted Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies to send a June offer Regis’ way.

"When A&M offered, I could barely control my excitement,” Regis said after the offer. “It was probably a good thing I was sitting in my car because I would have been jumping around and going crazy. I have an offer from Tennessee, so it wasn't my first chance to play in the SEC, but to get the opportunity to play at Texas A&M...it's just an incredible feeling. I'm overwhelmed with excitement."

Regis was once committed to Minnesota but re-opened his recruiting process in late May, and he named a top six of Texas A&M, Texas, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss and Houston in late August. He also held offers from the likes of Baylor, TCU, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

He is the Aggies 15th commitment and 8th Texan in Texas A&M’s 2021 recruiting class. He joins a defensive line class which includes Jahzion Harris‍, Marcus Burris‍ and  Victory Vaka, and he is the 9th defensive commitment of the class.

Regis is currently ranked No. 37 in the TexAgs Texas Top 100.

“I think he's such a good interior defensive lineman,” Coach Renfro said. “You can’t move him. And he’s still fast enough to run. They’ll run inside zone and the back will bounce it, and he’s running past our other defensive linemen that have a better angle. I just think he creates so many mismatches inside. He could play on the edge too. Some schools have talked about using him on special teams or as an H-back or fullback type of kid. It wouldn’t surprise me what he did at the next level. If he wound up doing some of those things it wouldn’t surprise me at all.”

We’ll have more breakdown soon for our TexAgs Premium subscribers.

Discussion from...

La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis commits to Texas A&M

19,435 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JustisWalkert
Shooz in Katy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Athletic baller! Boom!
MaroonStain
AG
Good news! Keep 'em signing up, Jimbo!
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Slamn Sharpe
Welcome
Charlie 31
AG
Howdy and Gig 'em!!!
Caesar4
Mule
mcag83
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Spyderman
69huslinone
AG
Come on down.
ccatag
AG
Gig'em Albert!
dixichkn
manlyaggie
AG
This guy ran a 11.53 - 100 meter dash... holy moly...
Snap E Tom
When he blocks on offense, look at the way he engages defenders. Dude is mean.
texag86
B-1 83
AG
I'll just leave this here.......

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/10/10/21510272/texas-longhorns-recruiting-albert-regis-commitment-la-porte-texas-a-m-aggies
TowerAg90
AG
B-1 83 said:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/10/10/21510272/texas-longhorns-recruiting-albert-regis-commitment-la-porte-texas-a-m-aggies
Those comments. Night of the Long Knives is coming soon in Austin. We really need Herman to win out now. Hang on a little longer
samhoustonag
Played TE. If Cupp keeps getting injured, we might need him there...
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I respect his decision !
mcag83
S.A. Aggie
AG
Welcome Home!! Gig'em!! Whoop!
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

I have an offer from Tennessee, so it wasn't my first chance to play in the SEC, but to get the opportunity to play at Texas A&M...it's just an incredible feeling.
Reason #1 for joining the SEC. We wouldn't have had a chance with him if we were still in the B12.

Welcome to Aggieland!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
coldmoose
Welcome Albert.
oldfart79
i smell some earl c on the menu
oldfart79
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I'm curious what his size really is. The story above says he was 6-1 250 and has grown to 6-3 290. In the link to the sip site, they were saying 6-1 300. Of course, since sips are having a touch of the sour grapes, I'm sure they would post numbers that make him look less attractive as a recruit.
sleepybeagle
AG
La Porte! Used to play them in football and never beat them all 4 years.
Slamn Sharpe
He's played so many positions on both sides of the ball. Given the comments about him by those that have been watching/coaching him over the years, he's gotta really high ceiling. He's got a lot of quickness for his size. This is a really nice get
AWP 97
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

I'm curious what his size really is. The story above says he was 6-1 250 and has grown to 6-3 290. In the link to the sip site, they were saying 6-1 300. Of course, since sips are having a touch of the sour grapes, I'm sure they would post numbers that make him look less attractive as a recruit.
His high school coach said he was 6'3". I know coaches fudge on ht and wt but it didn't seem like it in this case.
AggieTFA06
redleg82
AG
Is he dawg?
B-1 83
AG
TowerAg90 said:

B-1 83 said:

Those comments. Night of the Long Knives is coming soon in Austin. We really need Herman to win out now. Hang on a little longer
Thank you for my morning chuckle. That's some funny stuff, right there....
JustisWalkert
AG
https://www.hookem.com/texas-football/20201012/leaving-texas-kenyatta-watson-ii-join-football-team-georgia-tech/

They're not just losing recruits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.