Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Where do the players go from here?

7,956 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gunny456
TyperWoods
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Quote:

Since it's such a terrible in the USA, perhaps they should consider living in another country?

...just a thought...posting for a friend.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
85AustinAg
AG
Nice troll job OP. Now we get to read how there is no issue, players are selfish, no change will come, no change is needed and Hwy 6 runs both ways. Yea!!!!!
Padre_Island_Ag said:

Quote:

Since it's such a terrible in the USA, perhaps they should consider living in another country?

...just a thought...posting for a friend.

That's what I did and have enjoyed every minute of it.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Spyderman
AG
85AustinAg said:

Nice troll job OP. Now we get to read how there is no issue, players are selfish, no change will come, no change is needed and Hwy 6 runs both ways. Yea!!!!!

Conversations need to happen. Solutions need to be developed. Clearly something is amiss. What can/should be done?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
JustisWalkert
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Hines went to Plano West.
Plano West is in zip code 75093.
75093 is in Collin County.
Collin County is one of the richest counties with highest per capita incomes in Texas.
What zip code in Collin County provides the highest average income?

Hines sure has had a racially tough life. Prolly couldn't catch many breaks in the 75093.
Maybe he watches CNN
GumboMaverick
Bonfire1996 said:

Collin County is one of the richest counties with highest per capita incomes in Texas.

Hines sure has had a racially tough life. Prolly couldn't catch many breaks in the 75093.
Plano East.

And it is far from a rich school.
samhoustonag
HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

Spyderman said:

They clearly have a platform and could play a big role.
well the fact is that there is no depth to their perceived injustice that goes deeper than chanting "no justice no peace". Ask one to really explain and they would sound like an idiot...nothing there.

Right now it is the cool thing to shout "injustice" and that is their only motivation.

Having them try to articulate a "platform" would be comical.

There is plenty depth to the issues at hand that they are concerned about. To answer another question, no there aren't any concrete suggestions because much of the issues they are bringing attention to are systematic and take time. To name a few that seem pretty obvious would be police training reform, educational reform, encouraging voting and fair representation. Your comment of perceived injustice would lead me to believe you live in a racial & socio/economic bubble and are the type of people they are frustrated with. I'm sure the status quo has worked just fine for you so why have empathy to hear and learn about other citizen's problems.

Getting real sick of the vocal minority in the zoo.
oh good, Fish On!

First you throw out headline topics that some source has programed into your "brain". You tried but you come across as a programed headline touting zombie with ZERO depth. But hey, I'll play.

What data do you have to support that "police training reform" is really a national issue that needs reform? Hopefully your dramatic call for reform is not based on isolated incidents in a country with over 330 million citizens.

Why does education need reforming?

You can pass on "encouraging voting" as any idiot that has to be "encouraged" to vote...well there are no words.
But certainly interested in what you mean by fair representation. How is it unfair?

lol...for you to attempt a logical argument on the above would make you look foolish and you know it. That is why I expect some childish comment/feedback and off you go. That said, don't hurt yourself big fella...

This is my point that there is no adult dialogue about these topics just people having hard line views and throwing out condescending insults. But I'll play.

There is plenty to be done on police reform. Some things that I would like to see get changed would include stop and frisk type policies like in New York that have been proven to be racist and discriminatory. And I would say some of these isolated incidents shed light on the fact that police have the ability to demonstrate deadly force in a situation but receive less than a year of training to become a cop. That's a lot of power and heavy burden for so little prep.

I used to teach and I can tell you first hand that the distribution of resources is by no means equal and puts kids at a disadvantage. The teacher to student ratio is worse in minority schools. These are just a few but ask any teacher in a title 1 school and they will fill in the gaps.

I agree it's our right to vote and every citizen should take that right and exercise it. But I think these athletes are recognizing that many in the minority community don't vote which would mean they and their opinions are not being represented in the policies. Also it's pretty well known the gerrymandering that has occured in many cities and been challenged in the courts as unfair and illegal.

Now I know I made some logical arguments for these but I don't want you to have a tantrum because someone challenged you big fella.
Crime went down significantly with stop and frisk. And it was not as arbitrary as you apparently believe. Many people who actually lived in the affected areas (as opposed to bleeding heart liberals posting on forums) welcomed the program.

As far as not voting, that is their own fault. Nothing is stopping them from voting. Many don't vote in all demographics and areas of this country.
JuanDurfel
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

No he didn't. He went to Plano East. While East Plano isn't the 'slum' that it tends to get labeled as.. 75074's (East Plano) per capita income is significantly less than 75093's (West Plano).
HtownWilly12
samhoustonag said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

Spyderman said:

well the fact is that there is no depth to their perceived injustice that goes deeper than chanting "no justice no peace". Ask one to really explain and they would sound like an idiot...nothing there.

Right now it is the cool thing to shout "injustice" and that is their only motivation.

There is plenty depth to the issues at hand that they are concerned about. To answer another question, no there aren't any concrete suggestions because much of the issues they are bringing attention to are systematic and take time. To name a few that seem pretty obvious would be police training reform, educational reform, encouraging voting and fair representation. Your comment of perceived injustice would lead me to believe you live in a racial & socio/economic bubble and are the type of people they are frustrated with. I'm sure the status quo has worked just fine for you so why have empathy to hear and learn about other citizen's problems.

oh good, Fish On!

First you throw out headline topics that some source has programed into your "brain". You tried but you come across as a programed headline touting zombie with ZERO depth. But hey, I'll play.

What data do you have to support that "police training reform" is really a national issue that needs reform? Hopefully your dramatic call for reform is not based on isolated incidents in a country with over 330 million citizens.

You can pass on "encouraging voting" as any idiot that has to be "encouraged" to vote...well there are no words.
But certainly interested in what you mean by fair representation. How is it unfair?

lol...for you to attempt a logical argument on the above would make you look foolish and you know it. That is why I expect some childish comment/feedback and off you go. That said, don't hurt yourself big fella...

This is my point that there is no adult dialogue about these topics just people having hard line views and throwing out condescending insults. But I'll play.

There is plenty to be done on police reform. Some things that I would like to see get changed would include stop and frisk type policies like in New York that have been proven to be racist and discriminatory. And I would say some of these isolated incidents shed light on the fact that police have the ability to demonstrate deadly force in a situation but receive less than a year of training to become a cop. That's a lot of power and heavy burden for so little prep.

I used to teach and I can tell you first hand that the distribution of resources is by no means equal and puts kids at a disadvantage. The teacher to student ratio is worse in minority schools. These are just a few but ask any teacher in a title 1 school and they will fill in the gaps.

I agree it's our right to vote and every citizen should take that right and exercise it. But I think these athletes are recognizing that many in the minority community don't vote which would mean they and their opinions are not being represented in the policies. Also it's pretty well known the gerrymandering that has occured in many cities and been challenged in the courts as unfair and illegal.

Now I know I made some logical arguments for these but I don't want you to have a tantrum because someone challenged you big fella.
Crime went down significantly with stop and frisk. And it was not as arbitrary as you apparently believe. Many people who actually lived in the affected areas (as opposed to bleeding heart liberals posting on forums) welcomed the program.

As far as not voting, that is their own fault. Nothing is stopping them from voting. Many don't vote in all demographics and areas of this country.

It may very well have gone down and I'm sure some welcome the program. But I'm sure the ones who didn't were the ones harassed by it and were just going about their day. Put yourself in that position, I for one would be pissed. And if you can't make the connection that that would clearly create hostility and frustration with the public and the police force then you are blind.

I'm not saying anything is stopping them from voting and I don't think the players are either. I think they are just trying to encourage people to get out and have their voices heard through the electoral process. Because if you're not voting then I do feel like you have no room to complain about the way things are in society.
TXAggie2011
AG
Spyderman said:

No, I'm serious here. Have any concrete suggestions been put forth in terms of resolving any issues? I don't do the twitter thing. Is this something that is just swept under the rug or?
They already got a council created with the mission of continuing to discuss and implement ideas on campus to address problems and make it a more inclusive place. (You can disagree with the viewpoint of the athletes, but they did help accomplish that and they will be involved there.) Kellen Mond is a member of the commission.

https://theeagle.com/townnews/university/texas-a-m-announces-commission-on-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/article_30c85880-c52c-11ea-a7de-dbd93830d39a.html

Also, the athletics department also created an initiative called The Aggie Commitment.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/08/25/texas-am-athletics-announces-the-aggie-commitment/
Just Tired
JuanDurfel said:

Bonfire1996 said:

No he didn't. He went to Plano East. While East Plano isn't the 'slum' that it tends to get labeled as.. 75074's (East Plano) per capita income is significantly less than 75093's (West Plano).

that is correct. he went to PESH not POSH.
aftershock
The thing I don't get is that if these players believe so deeply that injustices are rampant and that football has provided a "platform" for you to speak your mind/make a difference/change the world/whatever...why walk away from that platform?
agnerd
AG
If I were an athlete and wanted to ACTUALLY fix the problem, I'd ask the athletic department to put me in touch with local law enforcement so that we could start a program where an officer and an athlete speak to high school kids that are about to start driving about how to act when pulled over by the police. Of course you'd have to throw some comedy in to keep the kids attention, and it would be extremely important to see black athletes and white cops being friendly with each other. I believe it would help to actually protect young black lives if they are one of the few that would reach for something during a stop. An officer answering kids questions could also help to make the officer more sympathetic to the fear drivers might have if he is one of the few bad cops. But again, that's assuming that I actually wanted to solve the problem and not just get attention.
Foxo
AG
Criminals no matter the color high on dope are not going to be arrested easily. So, just let em go? Thanks but no thanks.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
samhoustonag said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

Spyderman said:

oh good, Fish On!

Stop and Frisk was a failure in terms of crime reduction and a gross affront pf peoples' civil rights. Less than 1% of the people stopped had any involvement in any investigations. It was simple illegal profiling. Also this:

"In August 2013, federal district court judge Shira Scheindlin found that stop-and-frisk was unconstitutional. The stop-and-frisk era formally drew to a close in January 2014, when newly-elected Mayor Bill de Blasio settled the litigation and ended the program.

Given this large-scale effort, one might expect crime generally, and murder specifically, to increase as stops tapered off between 2012 and 2014. Instead, as shown below, the murder rate fell while the number of stops declined. In fact, the biggest fall occurred precisely when the number of stops also fell by a large amount in 2013." Source: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/fact-sheet-stop-and-frisks-effect-crime-new-york-city

BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
aftershock said:

The thing I don't get is that if these players believe so deeply that injustices are rampant and that football has provided a "platform" for you to speak your mind/make a difference/change the world/whatever...why walk away from that platform?
I don't see any evidence that they've walked away from any platform. Appears they're both just ready to take their contributions elsewhere.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
agnerd said:

If I were an athlete and wanted to ACTUALLY fix the problem, I'd ask the athletic department to put me in touch with local law enforcement so that we could start a program where an officer and an athlete speak to high school kids that are about to start driving about how to act when pulled over by the police. Of course you'd have to throw some comedy in to keep the kids attention, and it would be extremely important to see black athletes and white cops being friendly with each other. I believe it would help to actually protect young black lives if they are one of the few that would reach for something during a stop. An officer answering kids questions could also help to make the officer more sympathetic to the fear drivers might have if he is one of the few bad cops. But again, that's assuming that I actually wanted to solve the problem and not just get attention.
Actually, the police work for us. It's not our job to somehow figure out how to work with them. It's their job to figure out how to effectively work for us.
samhoustonag
HtownWilly12 said:

samhoustonag said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

Spyderman said:

oh good, Fish On!

It may very well have gone down and I'm sure some welcome the program. But I'm sure the ones who didn't were the ones harassed by it and were just going about their day. Put yourself in that position, I for one would be pissed. And if you can't make the connection that that would clearly create hostility and frustration with the public and the police force then you are blind.

I'm not saying anything is stopping them from voting and I don't think the players are either. I think they are just trying to encourage people to get out and have their voices heard through the electoral process. Because if you're not voting then I do feel like you have no room to complain about the way things are in society.
You continue to assume that the stop and frisk was random. It was not.
samhoustonag
TXK said:

samhoustonag said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

HtownWilly12 said:

2billfighter said:

Spyderman said:

oh good, Fish On!

Stop and Frisk was a failure in terms of crime reduction and a gross affront pf peoples' civil rights. Less than 1% of the people stopped had any involvement in any investigations. It was simple illegal profiling. Also this:

"In August 2013, federal district court judge Shira Scheindlin found that stop-and-frisk was unconstitutional. The stop-and-frisk era formally drew to a close in January 2014, when newly-elected Mayor Bill de Blasio settled the litigation and ended the program.

Given this large-scale effort, one might expect crime generally, and murder specifically, to increase as stops tapered off between 2012 and 2014. Instead, as shown below, the murder rate fell while the number of stops declined. In fact, the biggest fall occurred precisely when the number of stops also fell by a large amount in 2013." Source: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/fact-sheet-stop-and-frisks-effect-crime-new-york-city

Beginning in 1991, New York experienced the broadest and deepest decline in violent crime of any major American city. By 2013, Bloomberg's last year as mayor, the murder rate had dropped to 3.3 per 100,000 population, or 335 in a city of more than 8 million. Chicago, in contrast, with a population less than half that of New York, had 415 homicides in 2013. New York's homicide drop was concentrated in firearms-related homicides committed outdoors.

Spyderman
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Spyderman said:

No, I'm serious here. Have any concrete suggestions been put forth in terms of resolving any issues? I don't do the twitter thing. Is this something that is just swept under the rug or?
They already got a council created with the mission of continuing to discuss and implement ideas on campus to address problems and make it a more inclusive place. (You can disagree with the viewpoint of the athletes, but they did help accomplish that and they will be involved there.) Kellen Mond is a member of the commission.

https://theeagle.com/townnews/university/texas-a-m-announces-commission-on-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/article_30c85880-c52c-11ea-a7de-dbd93830d39a.html

Also, the athletics department also created an initiative called The Aggie Commitment.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/08/25/texas-am-athletics-announces-the-aggie-commitment/
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
NattyOrBust
AG
"Getting real sick of the vocal minority in the zoo."

(Whispers discreetly): Psst... I don't know how to tell you this, but you ARE the vocal minority in the zoo (AND in the country).
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

used to teach and I can tell you first hand that the distribution of resources is by no means equal and puts kids at a disadvantage. The teacher to student ratio is worse in minority schools. These are just a few but ask any teacher in a title 1 school and they will fill in the gaps.

With regard to this one, the funding per student is no different so where exactly does the problem lie?
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Spyderman said:

No they don't. They will not.
Gunny456
AG
This. Well said.
Gunny456
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.