Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond never considered opting out: 'I'm on a mission'

13,393 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Faustus
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond is one of the most experienced quarterbacks in the SEC. But some Aggies fans are looking for him to take the next step and lead the team to be a true contender to win the SEC West.

Mond is on board with that thinking, as he shared with reporters on Monday as the Aggies prepare to play Vanderbilt on Saturday. That's why he never considered opting out of the upcoming season.

"I would say that I have a different mentality," Mond said, per TexAgs. "Evaluating myself throughout this offseason, I looked back on every play I ran my junior year and figure out how to improve myself. This year, I'm on a mission for myself and my teammates."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-qb-kellen-mond-never-considered-opting-out-im-on-a-mission/
Slamn Sharpe
Mond
Corn Pop
To be fair, this is the same guy that called himself the best QB in the SEC.
greg.w.h
AG
Honestly: opting out likely kills any chance of being drafted. UFDA's have a huge hill to climb. Arguably Ausbon and Hines if they don't return will find that hill like Sisyphus found it...

Udfa is probably the more correct arrangement of the letters.
West Point Aggie
AG
Opting out unless you're like guaranteed 2d round or better seems like a dumb move...so smart of Mond as he is not high draft round material
Ag86Hotard109
AG
greg.w.h said:

Honestly: opting out likely kills any chance of being drafted. UFDA's have a huge hill to climb. Arguably Ausbon and Hines if they don't return will find that hill like Sisyphus found it...

What the heck is a UFDA? Is that like a JEEP or a SUV? The latest military vehicle?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
On a mission..... to distract the team and foment needless faux outrage over a statue of a man dead for 150+ years who was a two time state governor and savior of the institution, and who has a statue because of that and only because of that.

Yes, every INT and bad play I will blame on his time away from Bright scowling at Sully.
annie88
AG
schmendeler
AG
good on him. let's win some ball games!
ironmanag
AG
Good for him.

It is okay to have your own opinions. It is not okay to skip out on your teammates.

Now go complete some deep balls.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
deskdrawer
I wish he would but previously in Jimbo's offense with past QB's they make the biggest improvement from year 1 to year 2 as the starter in his system.

Last year he didn't show the big leap so I'm not expecting him to make it this year. He is what he is which is an average quarterback. He had two big 4th quarters (LSU and Clemson) as well as the overtime against LSU.

But outside of those amazing 2 quarters plus overtime he hasn't played as an elite quarterback consistently.

Until he proves he can do so then he remains an average QB who benefited from never having competition in the QB room his whole time at A&M.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I simply don't believe him.
The grapevine is long, and eventually the word around town will reach you. That's all that I have to say about that today.
MikeyElko
AG
Quote:

Quote:

greg.w.h said:

What the heck is a UFDA? Is that like a JEEP or a SUV? The latest military vehicle?

I gotcha covered. According to Google it stands for United Funk Dance Academy. Let me know what else you need help with. I am here for you.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
I made a post about this potential I guess they removed it... I could see him opting out but hopefully he does not.
MikeyElko
AG
United Funk Dance Academy

Looks legit.
BrotherChad
AG
ironmanag said:

Good for him.

It is okay to have your own opinions. It is not okay to skip out on your teammates.

Now go complete some deep balls.
LOL well it's good to know that's where you draw the line
impavidus
AG
Nice to see rational comments supporting our QB. The amount of personal attacks on the young man for having different views is embarrassing.

Football is great because it brings all together, including us fans.

BrotherChad
AG
impavidus said:

Nice to see rational comments supporting our QB. The amount of personal attacks on the young man for having different views is embarrassing.

The vast majority of posters who disagreed with Mond did not make personal, ad hominem attacks. They acted as Aggies and they deserve to voice their opinion publicly just as much as any mercenary athlete. They attacked his arguments and opinions which was entirely his responsibility for putting those opinions out in the public sphere.

Swing at a big guy, get hit. Make a dumb statement/opinion about people who are much smarter than you, then expect to get ridiculed and flamed.

NoahAg
I couldn't disagree more with Mond on the Sully issue but I support him as QB. It sucks that 3 of his WRs made ill-advised decisions to leave, and that 2 TEs went down, but if some young guys can play to their potential and the O-line improves from last year he can have a big season. I expect Spiller to build on his improvement last year so that will help.
Slamn Sharpe
I thought you were gone since you claimed to have given up on the team. Please dont make empty promises anymore
vander54
S
BrotherChad said:

impavidus said:

The vast majority of posters who disagreed with Mond did not make personal, ad hominem attacks. They acted as Aggies and they deserve to voice their opinion publicly just as much as any mercenary athlete. They attacked his arguments and opinions which was entirely his responsibility for putting those opinions out in the public sphere.

Swing at a big guy, get hit. Make a dumb statement/opinion about people who are much smarter than you, then expect to get ridiculed and flamed.

World's worst proofreader
Aggies2009
AG
impavidus said:

Nobody attacked Mond simply "for having different views".

I'm glad he's focused. I hope he comes out and lights it up this season. I feel like he can if he's worked hard and focuses
vander54
S
Aggies2009 said:

impavidus said:

Yes they have
Agsuffering@bulaw
Glad he is saying the right things. I want to see what he does when things get tough.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
vander54 said:

Aggies2009 said:

impavidus said:

Yes they have

Mond has proactively incited his own fan base because of his views. His views included calling many of the very fans that support him racists. He is the provocateur.

That said I am not surprised he is going to play this year because he wants to get paid and having a great senior year only increases those odds. Don't kid yourself into thinking there is any other motivation than what's in it for Kellen with this decision.
vander54
S
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

vander54 said:

Aggies2009 said:

impavidus said:

Yes they have

Mond has proactively incited his own fan base because of his views. His views included calling many of the very fans that support him racists. He is the provocateur.

That said I am not surprised he is going to play this year because he wants to get paid and having a great senior year only increases those odds. Don't kid yourself into thinking there is any other motivation than what's in it for Kellen with this decision.

He sees thing differently than you and and me. Unless you've actually talked to him you don't know ***** Just like you have no idea where I stand without actually talking to me.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
impavidus said:

Racists, too ?
JustisWalkert
AG
Glad to hear it but it's his other mission and the way he expressed it that has everybody riled up
fightinag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Glad he is saying the right things. I want to see what he does when things get tough.
We already have............and it ain't pretty !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
TXAggie2011
AG
BrotherChad said:

impavidus said:

The vast majority of posters who disagreed with Mond did not make personal, ad hominem attacks.
I can say, without agreeing with anything Kellen Mond has said, that this is a laughable claim.
TXAggie2011
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

On a mission..... to distract the team and foment needless faux outrage over a statue of a man dead for 150+ years who was a two time state governor and savior of the institution, and who has a statue because of that and only because of that.

Yes, every INT and bad play I will blame on his time away from Bright scowling at Sully.
Some of y'all are truly insufferable
tjack16
AG
yells at clouds said:

To be fair, this is the same guy that called himself the best QB in the SEC.

I'd hope our QB has that mentality.
Aggies2009
AG
vander54 said:

Aggies2009 said:

impavidus said:

Yes they have
Wrong. Calling others "racists" isn't simply "having an opinion". Hope that helps, non-Ag.
TXAggie2011
AG
Aggies2009 said:

vander54 said:

Aggies2009 said:

impavidus said:

Yes they have
Wrong. Calling others "racists" isn't simply "having an opinion". Hope that helps, non-Ag.
This is complete nonsense and wrong on multiple levels.

But this is good to know the next time y'all goofs go on another one of those "all lives matter, black lives matter is racist" rants.
ABATTBQ11
AG
What mission has he been on the last 3 years?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.