Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is A&M still honoring "opt out" scholarships?

7,118 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Faustus
Actual Talking Thermos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sparkie said:

ActualTalkingThermos said:

In general I think any player in a position to even consider skipping their senior year or sitting out a bowl game or whatever to prepare for the NFL has been a good return on the school's investment. If you're upset that you don't have them anymore, then they were contributing much more than most scholarship players while you had them. Trying to punish them in some way is so counterproductive. As a program, you very much want to continue attracting the kind of player who is talented enough to view your school as a stepping stone on their way to the NFL.
Players under scholarship should play. If they want to sit out, free the spot for someone who does.
This is a super weird year, but in a regular 12-game season with a bowl game afterwards, you think the team would be better off not having an NFL caliber player at all than having them for 12 of the 13 games? I don't think many college football coaches would agree with you. And if you strip that star player of their scholarship (and I guess demand repayment?) for skipping the last game as a business decision after they have balled out for you for two or three seasons, how many potential future star players does that cost you who might have come and played for two or three years, but instead go put in that time playing for your opponents who are happy to be that stepping stone?
Sparkie
AG

Sparkie said:

In general I think any player in a position to even consider skipping their senior year or sitting out a bowl game or whatever to prepare for the NFL has been a good return on the school's investment. If you're upset that you don't have them anymore, then they were contributing much more than most scholarship players while you had them. Trying to punish them in some way is so counterproductive. As a program, you very much want to continue attracting the kind of player who is talented enough to view your school as a stepping stone on their way to the NFL.
Players under scholarship should play. If they want to sit out, free the spot for someone who does.
This is a super weird year, but in a regular 12-game season with a bowl game afterwards, you think the team would be better off not having an NFL caliber player at all than having them for 12 of the 13 games? I don't think many college football coaches would agree with you. And if you strip that star player of their scholarship (and I guess demand repayment?) for skipping the last game as a business decision after they have balled out for you for two or three seasons, how many potential future star players does that cost you who might have come and played for two or three years, but instead go put in that time playing for your opponents who are happy to be that stepping stone?

The topic of this thread is about players opting out for the entire season. Which coach wants a player to opt out of the entire season while remaining on scholarship?

I don't care about the last bowl game of their career. Unless, A&M is playing in the MNC.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

The topic of this thread is about players opting out for the entire season. Which coach wants a player to opt out of the entire season while remaining on scholarship?

I don't care about the last bowl game of their career. Unless, A&M is playing in the MNC.
The whole point of the opt out is that we were in a public health crisis and athletes should not be forced to ignore health concerns to maintain what in many cases is the funding that allows them to go to college.

Athletes are not employees beholden to some shareholder base, which means you don't understand the distinction between a donation and an investment. A donation is given as a charitable bequest to a 3rd party organization with a stated mission. Once your funds are in, your control ceases except for the decision to keep up support in the future . . . .hence the "not another dime" folks running amok on this website who were fine supporting A&M Athletics until their inflamed culture war passions starting trumping their love for Aggie sports.

The entire country is grappling with one off adjustments to keep folks safe. NCAA scholarships are no different and all the muttering about free riders sucking off the meal plans seems inappropriate amidst that backdrop.

Sparkie
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

The whole point of the opt out is that we were in a public health crisis and athletes should not be forced to ignore health concerns to maintain what in many cases is the funding that allows them to go to college.

Athletes are not employees beholden to some shareholder base, which means you don't understand the distinction between a donation and an investment. A donation is given as a charitable bequest to a 3rd party organization with a stated mission. Once your funds are in, your control ceases except for the decision to keep up support in the future . . . .hence the "not another dime" folks running amok on this website who were fine supporting A&M Athletics until their inflamed culture war passions starting trumping their love for Aggie sports.

The entire country is grappling with one off adjustments to keep folks safe. NCAA scholarships are no different and all the muttering about free riders sucking off the meal plans seems inappropriate amidst that backdrop.

If you believe there is a health crisis, should there even be a season?

You obviously dont understand the word expectation. A person doesnt have to be a shareholder to have expectations. You get that right?

If you are going to lecture someone on a topic, perhaps you should actually know something about it. Donations do not require a 3rd party. Donations do not require a mission statement( I have to be honest. I really like this one. Made made me laugh) . Ever heard the saying "strings attached"? Might just be something that happens with donations.

So an athlete doesnt need to participate to receive free food, place to live, and education. All these privileges and no effort required.

CapCityAg89
AG
1 - NCAA says scholarships are good.

2 - Start canceling scholarships for players (much less players one semester shy of graduation) and Jimbo will all of a sudden have really hard questions to answer in living rooms everywhere.

This is such a non-issue, impossibility that you guys aren't even yelling at clouds - you're yelling at invisible clouds.
Showstopper
AG
3. We want people to graduate so we don't screw up our academic progress rates.

If you guys want to be but hurt that's fine but this is a drop in the athletic budget bucket.
greg.w.h
AG
Virtue signaling as vengeance. Good job...
Escobars army
aeon-ag said:

If a scholarship athlete signs a letter of intent, they should be made to fullfill that agreement! If they "opt" out then it should be out all the way! I'm so sick and tired of these spoiled rotten children given every opportunity there is, free room to lay up and sleep in, free board to stuff their faces with good food,then a free education which few take advatage of to play a game five months out of the year and not to mention all the under the table perks we don't know about, then crying about how mistreated they are. POOOOOOOR BABIES!!!!!

Let me make this math really easy for you as it appears you didn't take the time to run the numbers. In 2019 our football program brought in $147M in revenue. Let's just round to 100 players in the program for simplicity. That means each player generates $1.47M. Let's say the program has a 80% expense ratio (which it's probably closer to 50%) then each player still generates $294K in profit. Please explain how the players are getting the better end of this deal? They are getting the shaft with no lube!!
Sparkie
AG
I broke this down the other day. Hopefully I remember correctly.

Cost of degree 100,000
Value of degree 900,000
4 years: 250k a year.

Dak Prescotts Rookie base salary: 450k 1st year. Cowboys revenue 700,000,000. Dak made .06% of the revenue.

A&Ms revenue 147,000,000. .06% would be 95k. But our players make .17% revenue. That ratio is over 260% more than Daks.

So our poor abused mistreated exploited players make 56% of Daks 1st year salary.
BQDrummer85
AG
It is not about the money. It is about principle, doing the right thing, which is the root of the problem. Staying on scholarship and prepping for the NFL while your team plays a whole season is wrong.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Cost of degree 100,000
Value of degree 900,000

Dak Prescotts Rookie base salary: 450k 1st year. Cowboys revenue 700,000,000. Dak made .06% of the revenue.

A&Ms revenue 147,000,000. .06% would be 95k. But our players make .17% revenue. That ratio is over 260% more than Daks.

So our poor abused mistreated exploited players make 56% of Daks 1st year salary.
We should stop feeding this financially illiterate troll.
vander54
S
That $700M number may be a little low. In 2018 they brought in $950M
TXAggie2011
AG
If you view your mission as supporting student athletes, developing them, and setting them up for future success, its not obvious to me that you'd view Ausbon's decision as awfully as some in this thread have chosen to view it.

C2 Ag 93
As long as they aren't opting out for BLM BS, I think we should honor the scholarship. As long as they are opting out because their career path was disrupted by COVID, I see it as an honest decision not to play out a season that already feels lost to disruption, and the disruption was not their fault.

Now, if they don't have a problem with the disruption and are doing it in "protest", that is a breach of the scholarship and should forfeit. "Free speech" my arse.
Sparkie
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Cost of degree 100,000
Value of degree 900,000

We should stop feeding this financially illiterate troll.

Instead of getting your feelings hurt. Why not break down the numbers for us illiterates?
30wedge
The players must be pampered every way possible. Pamper, pamper, pamper.
Escobars army
Sparkie said:

Cost of degree 100,000
Value of degree 900,000

Your value of degree is a joke. The only thing you can quote is what they didn't have to pay so the cost of tuition and room and board. The trade is clearly for the scholarship, not what they make after getting a degree. Redo your math without that 90% inflation you somehow think is realistic. Let's all hope you aren't someone in charge of crunching any numbers.
Windy City Ag
AG
Your 900K figure is not correct. You need to use an NPV for that and most statistical agencies peg that at anywhere from 250K to 350K.

And you can't really use that assumption anyway. Your analysis assumes these athlete's only two options are to play football for A&M and get that college education benefit or otherwise spend life earning high school grad wages. You have to be a real condescending a#$hole to think that is the state of the world.

Many of these guys could forego football, live at home and go to UofH or UTD at night and incur only half the costs of an 4 year A&M education including room and board.

And you totally exclude the potential earnings these kids could realize from working to pay for college with the time they would otherwise be practicing and playing football.

So a more realistic way of looking at it is that they get to play football and get the benefit of the 50K or so in costs they would have had to incur to live in College Station rather than try more efficient paths to get a college degree.

Windy City Ag
AG
Darn . . Escobar beat me to it.

I agree with this statement though.

Quote:

Let's all hope you aren't someone in charge of crunching any numbers.

Please everyone stop feeding this financially illiterate troll.
Sparkie
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Your 900K figure is not correct. You need to use an NPV for that and most statistical agencies peg that at anywhere from 250K to 350K.

And you can't really use that assumption anyway. Yourj analysis assumes these athlete's only two options are to play football for A&M and get that college education benefit or otherwise spend life earning high school grad wages. You have to be a real condescending a#$hole to think that is the state of the world.

Many of these guys could forego football, live at home and go to UofH or UTD at night and incur only half the costs of an 4 year A&M education including room and board.

And you totally exclude the potential earnings these kids could realize from working to pay for college with the time they would otherwise be practicing and playing football.

So a more realistic way of looking at it is that they get to play football and get the benefit of the 50K or so in costs they would have had to incur to live in College Station rather than try more efficient paths to get a college degree.

The average college degreed male makes 900,000 more than non degreed. Obviously this does not include statistical models for regression or discounted dollar. So let's take your number 350k + 100K. Since this thread is about opting out the last year, that's 450k for 3 years.

Some students drop out and make more and others less. There is this thing called an average. All you need to know is that it's a bunch of numbers and fancy math. Most of the models you refer to factor in the drop out rate. Big words saying its already in your 350k.

From your comparison of cost with uofh, do you believe a degree from a&m is equal? You know the degree from a&m cost more, maybe it's worth more? You should run a regression and let us all know. Kinda curious.

Not sure why you want to compare a student working to pay for college versus the football player on scholarship. For every dollar the student makes and spends on college is a dollar making that scholarship worth more.

I do assume that scholarships open the door to college for students who either do not normaly qualify or have the financial means to go to college. In this case, the scholarship is worth more than 50k. Without it, college is probably not an option. Isn't that the whole song and dance why scholarships are good?

Faustus
wbt5845 said:

strbrst777 said:

Do players who opt-out to prep for NFL draft keep full-ride status (housing, meals at nutrition center, access to weight facility, stipend, etc? If so by NCAA rule what's rationale for the rule?
They could always do like Robert Ferguson did for us in 2000 and enroll for classes but never attend a single one and post a 0.00 GPA.

That's a little unfair. In 2000 you couldn't take all online classes with your uncle.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.