Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Conference Relegation

2,988 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Azariah
Azariah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As funny as going 0-3 against the Sunbelt Conference is, there's no way the Big 12 is actually swapping to the G5. I'm curious, though. What do you guys think it would take to actually introduce conference relegation into CFB, because that would be awesome. What would it look like?
GolfAg93
S
I don't think it would be entire conferences moving up and down.. but pair off P5 conferences with group of 5 conferences.

Every other year the top 2 group of 5 teams per conference move up and bottom 2 P5 teams are relegated.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Azariah said:

As funny as going 0-3 against the Sunbelt Conference is, there's no way the Big 12 is actually swapping to the G5. I'm curious, though. What do you guys think it would take to actually introduce conference relegation into CFB, because that would be awesome. What would it look like?

It's a dumb idea soccer fans and fans of G5 schools love and think it would translate to College FB for some reason

Bottom line: Central Florida Commuter College and Coog High can whine all they like but nobody is letting them into the big boys club because they whooped up on Tulane and Rice all while drawing flies in attendance and ratings
sshm
AG
Big East used to be a power conference. They aren't anymore. While relegation isn't a thing, there is movement among what teams are in power conferences and which conferences are power conferences.

Heck, Temple was even kicked OUT of the Big East for sucking.

Conferences can move up and down the totem pole, but you need consistent poor performance. One year of sucking isn't going to do that, and while I know a lot of you guys hate the Big 12, the reality is that they've been easily better than the Pac 12 at least for a while now and aren't far behind the Big Ten or ACC top to bottom.
Ugly
AG
Azariah said:

Well, a crazy year where massive attendance drops significantly affect school budgets and football straight up isn't played at several universities might incentivize some schools not to keep up in the rat race that is P5 football. That's not relegation exactly, but this next conference realignment might be more about sorting the schools that can and can't financially keep up with P5 responsibilities, especially if we are still dealing with Covid stuff come this time next year.
NyAggie
AG
It will never happen due to the revenue that schools receive for being in different conferences

No way a low level p5 football program willingly gives up its revenue for that of a g5 conference

Ain't gonna happen, ever.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
It will never happen, regardless of how bad a power 5 team, such as Arkansas, Kansas, or Rutgers is.
Azariah
AG
I'd like to thank everyone for playing my fun thought experiment of what conference relegation would look like by responding, "It would never happen." I'm sure you're all very fun at parties.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.