Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Question about YouTube TV

9,791 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
DBHILL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am considering subscribing to to YouTube TV. For those who have it, does it pick up the SEC Alt channel, and are you satisfied with it? Thanks in advance for any info.
"We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we."
F2Aggie
AG
Not sure. I have (yttv) currently but have only had it since December of 2019. Considering switching to fubotv.
AggieChemist
AG
If you have YouTube TV you can watch any of the games using the ESPN app.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
No, it does not. Neither does Hulu. But for both you can use your log-in credentials on the ESPN app / TV stream app to watch on SECN+.

I have had Sling, YTTV, and now on Hulu. I think Sling might has SECN+on their guide but not sure.
500,000ags
AG
YTTV has also gotten way more expensive. My price has gone from 34.99 to 70.99 per month in just 2.5 years.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I like it, but be advised there is no LHN on youtubeTV.
Dr. Horrible
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Thats an added benefit.
DBHILL
That's the best part about it.
"We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we."
Dr. Horrible said:

Thats an added benefit.
I thought that was understood.
Leander - Ag
AG
You do get to access the ESPN app with YTTV so I bet you get all SEC games
AgsWin2011
AG
I have YouTube TV and have never missed an Aggie game. Seems like I get all the games except LHN and I'm ok with that.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
500,000ags said:

YTTV has also gotten way more expensive. My price has gone from 34.99 to 70.99 per month in just 2.5 years.

That's why I switched to Hulu 2 months ago after the price increase was announced. YTTV would not keep my price the same so I switched. I think Hulu is better all around given the library.

Sling was great to start but by the time I changed 2 years ago or so they still had not integrated the local channels. I have an HD attic antenna, and usually watch our CBS games on the antenna, but it is way more convenient to have the local channels on your streaming service.
ClassOf17
Heismenberg said:

I have YouTube TV and have never missed an Aggie game. Seems like I get all the games except LHN and I'm ok with that.

Same. Have had it for two years and never missed a game.
MsDoubleD81
AG

I thought maybe I had it hidden!!
fightinag
I have YTTV and love the selection but I keep getting the channels freezing on my tv...I think I need a better modem.
At one point today there were five college games on at the same time on YTTV
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
It's not the service. It's either your downstream speed, modem, or the last mile of wire.
Hehateme1
I just signed up for YouTube TV and went ahead and added ESPN+ to make sure I caught the Vandy game. Added benefit of being able to catch almost all baseball and basketball games with it for only 50 bucks for entire year. I am beyond thrilled with it so far, wish I'd done this long ago. was paying $135 for DirecTV. When I called them to cancel they tried to wheel and deal and then offered $84/month.
spherical
AG
FYi, You don't need ESPN+ for the vandy game... you just activate the ESPN app with your YTT creds (where it asks for your cable provider) and you can stream the game via the ESPN app
greg.w.h
AG
spherical said:

FYi, You don't need ESPN+ for the vandy game... you just activate the ESPN app with your YTT creds (where it asks for your cable provider) and you can stream the game via the ESPN app
You need either a streaming app or a web browser on a destop/laptop and credentials that include the linear channels and SECN/SECN+.

Devices can include mobile phones, pads/tablets, AppleTV, Roku, ChromeCast, FireTV. I would steer clear of smart tvs because they aren't updated very frequently. Older devices and phones also age out.

ESPN+ is a service that is completely separate from the linear channels and the digital networks. Note that LHN is a linear channel with no digital network as far as I'm aware. ESPN+ has covered some CFB games but usually not P5 other than BDF that I can recall. And then lots of other sports that used to only show on first decade ESPN.
bert harbinson
AG
Started the YTTV free trial yesterday (currently with Frontier), it was very easy. Operating it through Amazon Fire on an non-smart tv. Initial impressions and problems that may be correctible:
Picture and sound are great.
Streaming with no glitches so far.
Eliminates a ton of unwanted channels and adds a few desirable ones I didn't have.
Changing channels is cumbersome and slow...works best with voice command through the Amazon remote.
Pause, rewind, FF of live tv is not good compared to Frontier with dvr. Often failed to work at all, it jumps by time with no video to see the spot you want to rewind to, have to hit another button to resume play after FF or rewind.
No previous channel for easy toggling back and forth.
Haven't used the DVR yet.
Maybe there are solutions to these problems, like using a different app or remote, and maybe I'm just not yet familiar enough to use it properly.
Suggestions welcome!

Naked Hiker
AG
Youtube TV is perfection. My only disappointment has been no weather channel for hurricane coverage. It's the perfect TV package, with unlimited dvr space.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I'm having a problem with quickly changing channels. Gotta figure that out quickly!
lil_frog8
AG
For those having problems switching channels easily on YTTV the easiest way I have found is to hit the down arrow on whatever selection device you have to pull up the quick menu where you can add to dvr or select captioning etc. there is a selection that says network there that allows you to go back to recently viewed networks or suggested networks based on your viewing. The same quick menu has a fire emoji that lets you skip through top plays for the games your watching so if you miss something in a game because you are on a different channel you can get caught up pretty quickly with anything of importance.
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks, that helps!
impavidus
AG
Maximum of 3 people streaming at once sucks. They don't have an option to add more concurrent streams.
Hehateme1
spherical said:

Thanks
spherical
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

I'm having a problem with quickly changing channels. Gotta figure that out quickly!

Yea I don't understand why none of the streaming services can get this right. Where is my basic "last channel" button that's been on every remote for the last 20 years
aTm2004
AG
bert harbinson said:

Started the YTTV free trial yesterday (currently with Frontier), it was very easy. Operating it through Amazon Fire on an non-smart tv. Initial impressions and problems that may be correctible:
Picture and sound are great.
Streaming with no glitches so far.
Eliminates a ton of unwanted channels and adds a few desirable ones I didn't have.
Changing channels is cumbersome and slow...works best with voice command through the Amazon remote. Not having channel numbers is different, but you can customize the guide to put your most watched channels at the top so you don't have to go through the guide that much.
Pause, rewind, FF of live tv is not good compared to Frontier with dvr. Often failed to work at all, it jumps by time with no video to see the spot you want to rewind to, have to hit another button to resume play after FF or rewind. Has to be something with your setup. I'm running it via a FireTV as well and both FF and rewind are easy by just pushing right or left on the remote, and I see a picture of where it is.
No previous channel for easy toggling back and forth. Actually, hit down a couple of times and you'll see all your previous channels there. You can find which previous channel you want and hit enter.
Haven't used the DVR yet. One thing you'll find different from your typical DVR is you'll get the chance to watch the actual DVR version or the on-demand version. After a week or two, only the on-demand version will be available.
Maybe there are solutions to these problems, like using a different app or remote, and maybe I'm just not yet familiar enough to use it properly.
Suggestions welcome!

aTm2004
AG
Naked Hiker said:

Youtube TV is perfection. My only disappointment has been no weather channel for hurricane coverage. It's the perfect TV package, with unlimited dvr space.
Pluto TV is free and Weather Nation is on that.
TXCityAggie
AG
I used YouTube TV last season but switched to Hulu now. YT upped their price and you can get basically the same content on Hulu plus all of their movies and original content...and its cheaper.
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks!
Aggiestro
Does Hulu TV have multi view? I liked that feature on PSVue before it was cancelled (could watch 4 games at once). Have YTTV now which is great except for no multi view and the dang price hikes
kyledr04
AG
No multiview on hulu.

I wanted yttv but they didn't offer FSSW in my area. Had to switch to hulu.

I also have frndly for weather, outdoor stuff, and hallmark
Hehateme1
kyledr04 said:

No multiview on hulu.

I wanted yttv but they didn't offer FSSW in my area. Had to switch to hulu.

I also have frndly for weather, outdoor stuff, and hallmark
Wow, that's too bad. I have FSSW and FSSW + without getting the extra sports package. I live in Brownwood Tx area
Fannie Luddite
AG
I just signed up for Sling Orange + sports for $40 a month. The SEC alternate channel comes with the sports package. I'm watching OSU vs Tulsa now. The app was easily installed on my smart TV.

No fiddling with credentials to the ESPN app, trying to tie in to the backhaul feed from Kyle etc.

Hopefully the games won't buffer like they did several years ago.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.