Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Espn breaks some news....

9,939 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ugly
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The thought that the coaches...who generally have united in opposing nine conference games...might also oppose ten isn't surprising. It's what bothered them that is also not surprising but interesting.

We know the cross-division schedule is not balanced unless 13 games could be somehow played. But it has been just a subliminal grouse from the coaches so far...

" Half of the league coaches expressed, either on the call or to ESPN privately, their frustration and/or anger over how the two additional games were chosen, with multiple coaches telling ESPN that the SEC was leaving itself open to the criticism of the whole process appearing "corrupt." "

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29663131/sources-sec-football-coaches-irked-added-opponents
Bunk Moreland
If you're going to break from logic which would have been to just add the next 2 teams in the cross division rotation, don't give LSU and Bama the 3 worst teams in the east as their presents
fightinag
Call me crazy (and my ex often did) but why didnt the SEC just keep the 2020 schedule as it was and have zero non conference games. Start later, give the 2 to 3 weeks that would have involved those non conference cupcake games as a time for teams to practice before the conference games start
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
longeryak
fightinag said:

Call me crazy (and my ex often did) but why didnt the SEC just keep the 2020 schedule as it was and have zero non conference games. Start later, give the 2 to 3 weeks that would have involved those non conference cupcake games as a time for teams to practice before the conference games start
Money
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not defending the cross-division assignments. But this will be a LOT of fun to watch if we get the season in. My repeated suggestion for 13 games was to solve for this specific problem and give SEC fans an unforgettable experience.
BANA89
AG
My bet is that the TV contract required the ten games In return for losing all the non-conference games.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
greg.w.h
AG
BANA89 said:

My bet is that the TV contract required the ten games In return for losing all the non-conference games.
I'll suggest they consulted with CBS & ESPN on what could dependably fulfill their inventory, pull down the contract commitments, and maximize SECN profit.

I doubt it was a specific requirement like ten games or ten conference games.
Ifishandlie
AG
If we get to play this schedule we'll be ahead of the game money wise.

Lots of schools will be paying for this year for years to come and it'll keep them from keeping up with.

MaxPower
It is a problem. I know some on here have said it's ok we got screwed because our schedule was easy. The problem is every program gets their chance for an "easy" schedule in rotation. Our rotation just got torpedoed and now we follow this up with games against Florida again in 2022 and Tennessee again in 2023.
Agsuffering@bulaw
That's not news it's gossipy complaining. But it is true- they went out of the way to make bama and LSU easier.

Oh well, at least we play this year. ESPN news is trash. Just throwing cold water at the real man conference.
NyAggie
AG
What the sec should have done with the two additional games is eliminate the team you just played and the team you will play in 2021 from the other side and then give each team the two teams that are farthest out in the rotation:

Example;

If A&M just played Georgia last year and is scheduled to play mix ou in 2021 then we can't get those two teams

The rest of the future East opponents set up like this for us:

Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky

So A&M should have drawn Tennessee and Kentucky but got Tennessee and Florida

Now let's do bama;

They playEd Missouri Last season and are set to play Florida next season, so those two are out

The rest of the future East teams for bama set up like this;

Vandy
Kentucky
USC

Alabama should have drawn Kentucky and usc But drew Kentucky and mizzou; not much different

LSU; just played UGA and are set to play kentucky in 2021 so they are out

The rest sets up like this
Tennessee
Mizzou
Vandy

LSU should have drawn mizzou and vandy, which they did

Doesn't look like the sec picked teams that were far off from this

The only way we got screwed is by getting Florida instead of Kentucky

greg.w.h
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

That's not news it's gossipy complaining. But it is true- they went out of the way to make bama and LSU easier.

Oh well, at least we play this year. ESPN news is trash. Just throwing cold water at the real man conference.
We didn't have any information from the coaches previously. Usually anonymous info is a little overboard, but if collected systematically and reported even somewhat accurately it still very much is news. Just lower quality.

Since I'm fairly sure the conference would fine direct quotes that are negative, unless the coaches want to pay fines and potentially go sideways with the President/Chancellor of each's own institution, this is actually vastly superior to NO information especially given we as fans are similarly annoyed.

I don't usually have much disagreement with your posts. So take it with a grain of salt or a whole salt lick if necessary.
Evanhue
Science Denier
AG
NyAggie said:

What the sec should have done with the two additional games is eliminate the team you just played and the team you will play in 2021 from the other side and then give each team the two teams that are farthest out in the rotation:

Example;

If A&M just played Georgia last year and is scheduled to play mix ou in 2021 then we can't get those two teams

The rest of the future East opponents set up like this for us:

Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky

So A&M should have drawn Tennessee and Kentucky but got Tennessee and Florida

Now let's do bama;

They playEd Missouri Last season and are set to play Florida next season, so those two are out

The rest of the future East teams for bama set up like this;

Vandy
Kentucky
USC

Alabama should have drawn Kentucky and usc But drew Kentucky and mizzou; not much different

LSU; just played UGA and are set to play kentucky in 2021 so they are out

The rest sets up like this
Tennessee
Mizzou
Vandy

LSU should have drawn mizzou and vandy, which they did

Doesn't look like the sec picked teams that were far off from this

The only way we got screwed is by getting Florida instead of Kentucky

Do Arkansas
LOL OLD
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The reason the good teams get "easy" schedules and bad teams get "hard" schedules is because the better you are the easier the competition will be and vice versa.

The key to an easy schedule is to be better than everyone else.
NyAggie
AG
Arkansas gets Georgia next season and had Kentucky last season, And had Tennessee and mix ou originally this season so eliminate those 4

Their next 3 games after that That are not UK, mizzou, Tennessee or Georgia are usc, Florida and vandy

Arkansas should have gotten vandy and Florida

Instead they got Georgia and Florida

Ugly
AG
Saw a youtube video from a Georgia fan that had an interesting take. If you separate the SEC into ranked vs. unranked teams, the ranked teams are all tied for having to face the lowest number of other ranked teams, with the ranked teams from their division. Otherwise, those teams have to face the lowest number of ranked teams overall. In practice, this means Georgia and Florida play three ranked teams (the lowest number of any SEC schedule), and Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M all play four ranked teams (the second lowest number within the SEC schedules).

It sure seems from that like somebody at the scheduling office was trying really hard to 1) make sure there were fairly even schedules among the legitimate challengers and 2) they were trying to give these six teams collectively as easy of a schedule as possible. If this is true, then there are eight teams that should be absolutely furious about this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.