Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Fort Smith (AR) cornerback Dreyden Norwood commits to Texas A&M

July 10, 2020

The momentum continues to build for Texas A&M’s 2021 recruiting class as one of the South’s top defensive backs announced he will spend his college days in Aggieland.

Fort Smith (AR) Northside cornerback Dreyden Norwood‍ is a long, lean 6-foot-1, 175-pounds. He is projected as a cornerback, but as one of the best athletes on his team he also played quarterback. Equipped with a 4.46 time in the 40, Norwood brings top-end speed along with his length, fluid hips and high football IQ.

Defensive backs coach TJ Rushing has led the Aggies’ recruiting efforts and helped A&M cover considerable ground over the last few months. In April, Norwood left the Aggies out of his top five of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Missouri and Notre Dame, but he continued to keep in touch with coach Rushing. He took his first virtual visit in late May and it was clear the Aggies and Rushing had made a move.

“I have narrowed it down, and I would put Texas A&M in my top 2 or 3,” Norwood told TexAgs following the visit.

In early July he took a second two virtual tour, and the visit was followed shortly by his decision.

He is the Aggies’ 12th commitment of the 2021 recruiting class, and he joins Deuce Harmon‍ and Tyreek Chappell‍ as cornerbacks in the class. His pledge also means the top prospect in Arkansas has committed to Texas A&M for the second year in a row. West Memphis offensive lineman Chris Morris signed with the Aggies in the 2020 class.

In addition to Texas A&M, Norwood also held offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Duke, Georgia, Kansas, Miami, Mississippi State, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, TCU and Tennessee.

We’ll have more on Norwood’s committment soon on TexAgs Premium.

Discussion from...

Fort Smith (AR) cornerback Dreyden Norwood commits to Texas A&M

17,496 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hogfan14
cageybee77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whoop!
maver1ck
AG
Pretty sure Norwood was a silent to Arky at some point. This came out of nowhere, big get for Jimbo and Co.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
If Arkansas can't even keep the top kids in their own state from leaving, especially to a rival, they may never make it back...Which would not be a problem for me.
mjhhawk
Awesome. I thought he was an Arkansas lock and didn't realize we were in the picture. Great get.
Agsuffering@bulaw
TylerAg98
AG
We need to continue to build our overall team speed. This is another step in the right direction.
mcag83
hogfan14
Russ Dalrymple said:

If Arkansas can't even keep the top kids in their own state from leaving, especially to a rival, they may never make it back...Which would not be a problem for me.
If you go by 247 Terry Wells is the top player in Arkansas and he's committed to Arkansas.

Norwood's brother went to OU a few years ago so I guess it's not too surprising but definitely think Arkansas felt good about him up until a few weeks ago. Makes sense why we've been going harder after other DBs lately.
Slamn Sharpe
Heck ya
Tamu_mgm
AG
Classic hog spin. Means we got a good one.
Welcome to AGGIELAND Dreyden!
mcag83
AG
Most of his highlights on Hudl were of him at QB. He didn't have many passing highlights but he is very elusive as a running QB.
Like anyone can even know that.
Slamn Sharpe
Tamu_mgm said:

I'm pretty sure he's stating that Arkansas staff knew he was backing off them, so they started looking else where. He's not implying they no longer wanted the guy. That's what texags typically does
Class of 65
AG
The TOS had him CB 100% to Arky for sometime. Makes me wonder how much stock to put into their CB prediction???
hogfan14
McDadeTXAggie said:

Tamu_mgm said:

I'm pretty sure he's stating that Arkansas staff knew he was backing off them, so they started looking else where. He's not implying they no longer wanted the guy. That's what texags typically does

Yeah we definitely wanted him. Apparently he was silently committed to Arkansas in February but never ended up going public with it so I guess something changed between then and now. I mentioned his brother who ended up at OU, for some reason Bielema never offered him so I could see the family not being too fond of Arkansas after that.
whatthehey78
West Point Aggie
AG
#ThanksChadMorris
Leander - Ag
AG
Not Texas def
war hymn aggie
AG
so with Norwood's commit, are we done at CB for 2021?
TAMU74
AG
Welcome aboard sir..
Meximan
On Texags Radio the other day they mentioned 4 or 5 corners is where the class likely ends up.
sleepybeagle
ccatag
AggieGI
Now that I am in the right thread, here is a scouting report I found on him...

https://cfbsaturdays.com/dreyden-norwood-scouting-report/
yell_on_6th st
AG
Meh
AggieTFA06
AG
I always like good news like this.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
TAM85
Welcome and gig 'em!
sleepybeagle
Tegrity123
hogfan14 said:

Russ Dalrymple said:

If you go by 247 Terry Wells is the top player in Arkansas and he's committed to Arkansas.

Norwood's brother went to OU a few years ago so I guess it's not too surprising but definitely think Arkansas felt good about him up until a few weeks ago. Makes sense why we've been going harder after other DBs lately.

Lmao. Norwood is the ONLY player in Arkansas with more than a few Power-5 offers. He is far and away the best player in Arkansas. And the Norwood who went to OU years ago was a cousin. This kid's uncle & father went to Arkansas too.
hogfan14
Tegrity123 said:

hogfan14 said:

Russ Dalrymple said:

Lmao. Norwood is the ONLY player in Arkansas with more than a few Power-5 offers. He is far and away the best player in Arkansas. And the Norwood who went to OU years ago was a cousin. This kid's uncle & father went to Arkansas too.
Erin Outley is the 7th ranked player in Arkansas but has offers from FSU, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Oregon, Tennessee, etc. Sometimes the ratings don't match up with the offers for whatever reason, especially in this cycle with all the uncertainty. Wells does have an offer from Miami but committed to Arkansas pretty early and might have told teams he wasn't going anywhere else.

It's all a guessing game. Norwood is a great athlete but probably needs a redshirt year to learn how to play CB.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.