Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

B1G going to 10 game all conference 14 week schedule?

5,637 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by West Point Aggie
TheWoodsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the B1G is zeroing in on playing an all conference 10 game schedule over the course of 14 weeks. Apparently allows for more flexibility to schedule make up games and insures all teams are falling under 1 standard protocol for testing prior to competition.

If they go this way all Power 5 would have to seriously consider following suit.

Assume SEC teams would keep their schedules and add 2 cross division opponents (1 home 1 away) by random draw.
ShotOver
AG
Doubtful.
greg.w.h
AG
13 game round robin schedule. In!!!
JRB78
AG
If we do see college football, it will be on a schedule like the one proposed. Delay and flexibility will be needed.
rootube
AG
Talk about being COVID ready. The B1G built cupcakes right into their conference. Smart.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Assume SEC teams would keep their schedules and add 2 cross division opponents (1 home 1 away) by random draw.

Get ready for Georgia and Florida.
greg.w.h said:

13 game round robin schedule. In!!!
Agreed. The SEC will have "one true champion."
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
W
AG
what's funny though...

if a conference only plays conference games...half the league will finish at .500 or below.

there will be some surprise teams with losing records for the first time in a long while because the non-conference cupcakes aren't available to boost their W-L record.

I bet the head coaches won't like that
W
AG
a school like Arkansas might finish winless for the first time ever in the modern era
Agsncws
AG
W said:

a school like Arkansas might finish winless for the first time ever in the modern era
I am here for that.
SouthCollegeStation
I have found few Aggies or other SEC fans that want to start SEC football on February or March of 2021...
The majority want a 2020 season now even if it is delayed and/or only a SEC Conference schedule.

"The Delay Option" - Will Happen for the SEC...

The Decision Makers are taken a conservation thought process - But not one that would be a Financial Disaster for their Universities or their other athletic programs future...

Be prepared for the possibility that any SEC Football Games (Non-Conference or Conference) to possibly not start until Saturday, September 19. Basically 10 weeks from this Saturday.

LSU Baseball Fan
At this point, I'll take a college football season however we can get it. With such overwhelming outside pressure to not play sports, I'd gladly settle for just a 10-game SEC season with an 8-team playoff to determine a national champion.

It's not optimal, but it's better than nothing, and there's a lot of pressure for it to be nothing right now. I'll take whatever format of a season we can get. Things aren't looking good.

I'll be really disappointed if we never get our return home game against Texas, though. It's one of the biggest OOC games LSU has had the chance to host in decades. If they want to postpone that game for a few years down the road, I'd support that. LSU vs Texas deserves a full stadium, and it wouldn't be anything close to that this September.
Just kill the season now. The IVY League did the right thing.
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I fully support a 10-12 game season that is SEC games only. Move up the timeline for us to play @ UT and @ UK.
Alpha Texan
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

TheWoodsAg said:

this was my first thought
Punked Shank
AG
At the rate we keep testing we will be at herd immunity before we can test everyone.

Just let players that have already caught it or only fans that have caught it into the stadium.

Death rates at virtually zero. Play ball
PhatMack19
AG
Notre Dame may be left without teams to play
Leander - Ag
AG
It's happening
West Point Aggie
AG
33 said:

No one pays attention to Ivy League football...not even most Ivy leaguers...easy to come across as reasoned and measured when it hardly matters...
rgag12
AG
Once you start abandoning games you'll eventually cancel then all. It's a slippery slope.

Football is done
W
AG
yes, the Big 10 is taking the first step today.

and to be honest...this saves a ton on travel expenses.

what was Ohio State's travel bill going to be to Oregon in September?

$100,000 maybe
W
AG
of course now a key question for 2021...

will those non-conference games be made up? Or will one team buy out the contract?

Oregon is supposed to journey to Columbus in 2021
10PennyNail
AG
How can a playoff be set when no out of conference play takes place? There is no way to seed the playoffs as there is no way to compare the conference champs. The SEC which may have 3 or 4 of the top 8 teams will only get one rep and Clemson and Oklahoma basically gets a pass straight into the playoff? Will the PAC even play?

Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
33 said:

Flagged for "things I don't like"
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Get your virtual game tickets now and enjoy virtual SEC football !!!
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
EKUAg
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Notre Dame may be left without teams to play

StrykerAg
AG
Bigsteve said:

Doubtful.

Womp womp
W
AG
so if the SEC goes to conference games only, but still plays a 9 or 10-game schedule...which teams are added to A&M's schedule?

I'm guessing it would be primarily geography based. Hello Missouri
W
AG
10PennyNail said:

How can a playoff be set when no out of conference play takes place? There is no way to seed the playoffs as there is no way to compare the conference champs. The SEC which may have 3 or 4 of the top 8 teams will only get one rep and Clemson and Oklahoma basically gets a pass straight into the playoff? Will the PAC even play?

like we joked a couple of months ago...5 or 6 or more teams will claim the 2020 national title
Phoenix1
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

TheWoodsAg said:

Exactly. Who's going to be doing the "drawing"? How much you want to bet 'Bama "draws" Vanderbilt & Missouri.
threeanout
AG
If it is a nine game schedule you would hope that it would be a home game since we are the home team in Jerry World this year and currently only have three home conference games.
West Point Aggie said:

33 said:

No one pays attention to Ivy League football...not even most Ivy leaguers...easy to come across as reasoned and measured when it hardly matters...
The Ivy League was the first to cancel basketball last spring (I believe).

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Leander - Ag
AG
PAC 12 doing the same.

Time for an SEC round robin schedule!!
Tamu_mgm
AG
Geez - just play the normal schedule without fans.
W
AG
goodbye Colorado.

might see SMU or Rice in their place
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.