Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did July 4 holiday all but guarantee to fall football?

9,267 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Macarthur
merch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With COVID numbers continuing to rise and countless Americans refusing to take proper precautions, July 4 holiday weekend came at a bad time for those wanting college football in the fall. Odds are number will spike in the next few weeks from those who just got sick but don't know it yet. Being so close to the season that will likely be the final nail in the coffin for college football.
dthom
AG
No.
cavscout96
AG
Cases up
Deaths down
One step closer to HI

AgBQ-00
AG
Proper precautions...
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
JPK89
AG
I don't understand your question.
TexanJeff
AG
Nope
spherical
AG
I see San Antonio's and Houston's numbers often.... what are bryan/college stations? is there a tracker?
JRB78
AG
This morning I heard discussion of a possible delay that would involve only playing a conference schedule. No season at all seems more likely to me every day.
rsf0626
college football has been doomed for a while. NCAA will get pressure to delay or have no fans in the stands
rsf0626
W
AG
let's put some numbers to it...

we are 59 days until A&M's scheduled season opener on September 5th.

we are 52 days from college football's opening Saturday on August 29th. UCLA, Cal, Arizona and others have games scheduled.

we are 43 days away from the aggie soccer team's scheduled road game at Ohio State on August 20th.

so there is still time for the situation to improve, but decisions probably have to be made by the end of July
RAB889094
AG
spherical said:

I see San Antonio's and Houston's numbers often.... what are bryan/college stations? is there a tracker?
Brazos County regularly registering 70-145 cases/day lately. Here's the tracker:

https://bing.com/covid/local/brazos_texas_unitedstates?vert=graph
EliteZags
AG
merch said:

With COVID numbers continuing to rise and countless Americans refusing to take proper precautions give up their constitutional rights on the day celebrating American independence and instead continued to live their lives not in glorified fear of a virus with 99%+ survival rate, July 4 holiday weekend came at a bad time for those wanting college football in the fall. Odds are number will spike in the next few weeks from those who just got sick but don't know it yet. Being so close to the season that will likely be the final nail in the coffin for college football.

Fify
cavscout96
AG
RAB889094 said:

spherical said:

Brazos County regularly registering 70-145 cases/day lately. Here's the tracker:

regularly? please define. words matter.

also please give context. What age demographic? How has it changed the availability of care? How has the corresponding death rate changed in the same time period?

context matters equally.
runontexas
AG
Where do my season tickets go?
TMF
AG
Guarantee football in the fall? Not sure what the question is.
spherical
AG
cavscout96 said:

RAB889094 said:

spherical said:

also please give context. What age demographic? How has it changed the availability of care? How has the corresponding death rate changed in the same time period?

context matters equally.
wow thats a lot of info to ask for, let alone ask to be distilled down for you... did you try looking on your own?

in case you were being serious and not trying to make some point... it doesn't look like all that information is available. that daily counts don't seem to be stored cohesively, so im guessing the poster has just been checking the news regularly.

thanks for the info!
cavscout96
AG
spherical said:

cavscout96 said:

RAB889094 said:

spherical said:

context matters equally.
wow thats a lot of info to ask for, let alone ask to be distilled down for you... did you try looking on your own?

in case you were being serious and not trying to make some point... it doesn't look like all that information is available. that daily counts don't seem to be stored cohesively, so im guessing the poster has just been checking the news regularly.

thanks for the info!
a baseless claim without context is worthless. The data is stored and easily retrievable. The "Aggieland" forum on this very website has a running daily count.

To say that BV "regularly" records numbers between 70-145 cases per day is disingenuous, a half-truth, at best, and provided without any sort of context in terms of increased testing, decreased death rate, and the average age of those testing positive.

It's white noise that contributes nothing to the discussion.

Better?

spherical
AG
cavscout96 said:

spherical said:

cavscout96 said:

RAB889094 said:

spherical said:

context matters equally.

thanks for the info!
a baseless claim without context is worthless. The data is stored and easily retrievable. The "Aggieland" forum on this very website has a running daily count.

To say that BV "regularly" records numbers between 70-145 cases per day is disingenuous, a half-truth, at best, and provided without any sort of context in terms of increased testing, decreased death rate, and the average age of those testing positive.

Better?

ah so you weren't interested in the info, because you already had it.

the poster was responding to me asking for a case tracker - which he provided, tho its a 10k foot view. he also gave information about recent numbers (he said recently). ill check the aggieland board thanks

edit: that positivity rate is looking good!
cavscout96
AG
spherical said:

cavscout96 said:

spherical said:

cavscout96 said:

RAB889094 said:

spherical said:

context matters equally.

thanks for the info!

Better?

ah so you weren't interested in the info, because you already had it.

the poster was responding to me asking for a case tracker - which he provided, tho its a 10k foot view. he also gave information about recent numbers (he said recently). ill check the aggieland board thanks

edit: that positivity rate is looking good!
I stand corrected. Did not realize his post was in response to you. I read it as commentary on the current situation in the BV as it relates to the possibility of FB returning.

Sincere apologies to you both for jumping the gun.
West Point Aggie
AG
cavscout96 said:

Cases up
Deaths down
One step closer to HI

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

We are far far far far far from HI...so far.
merch
And all those who want football can blame people like you for why we won't have it....but glad you had your backyard cookout.

Seriously, it isn't about constitutional rights it is about being smart so we can all get back to normalcy...the sooner we start acting smart the sooner that will be. It is really that simple.
Until then, say goodbye to things like college football.

Remember, wearing a mask doesn't protect you, it protects others.
cavscout96
AG
One step....
cavscout96
AG
merch said:

And all those who want football can blame people like you for why we won't have it....but glad you had your backyard cookout.

Seriously, it isn't about constitutional rights it is about being smart so we can all get back to normalcy...the sooner we start acting smart the sooner that will be. It is really that simple.

This trope is getting old.
Agsrback12
Two more weeks. We are all in this together. Now more than ever. Exponential.
Ag Tag
Ag Tag
merch said:

Masks work in only one direction???
EliteZags
AG
lol just cuz your backyard cookout was a snoozefest doesn't mean the rest of us all live boring lives too

JPK89
AG
merch said:

But many studies show that it actually doesn't.
TexAggie1999
EliteZags said:

merch said:

With COVID numbers continuing to rise and countless Americans refusing to take proper precautions give up their constitutional rights on the day celebrating American independence and instead continued to live their lives not in glorified fear of a virus with 99%+ survival rate, July 4 holiday weekend came at a bad time for those wanting college football in the fall. Odds are number will spike in the next few weeks from those who just got sick but don't know it yet. Being so close to the season that will likely be the final nail in the coffin for college football.

Fify
I agree that COVID-19 has been overblown by the media, but I don't understand this stance that freedom means people shouldn't take precautions. Free or not, it is irresponsible. Wearing masks and not being around those outside your household will help get the virus under control. Even if you don't think the virus is a big deal, you should at least agree we need to get it under control so we stop doing damage to the economy. The economy can't handle this virus getting worse. Also, I assume most of those touting freedom want Trump re-elected. Getting the virus under control and getting the economy back on track will help that happen.
H2OPoloAg02
JPK89 said:

merch said:

Can you please provide a reference to these "many studies"?
merch
Masks certainly help prevent the spread. Nobody disputes that...or I should say the scientific Community doesn't dispute that. I will admit that some on texags may dispute it.

The reality is the virus is likely airborne, which creates all sorts of issues, albeit not really in outdoor settings.

The US has been the absolute worst (When we should be one of the best) at slowing the spread of the virus and this is due, by and large, to the ridiculous attitude of Americans regarding prevention. We see a bunch of those people on this forum.

IF, people would have taken proper precautions we would have football in a month...now we won't. I realize football isn't what this is about big picture but this is football forum and we all want college football. Just gets annoying those taking crazy stances about the virus and then those same people whine that the season is canceled...um, look in the mirror.
sleepybeagle
AG

Quote:

Nobody disputes that...or I should say the scientific Community doesn't dispute that.

Lately when somebody throws out "nobody disputes that..." I generally know the opposite is probably true.

For example - can we all agree that deaths from Covid peaked in mid April and is on it's way out?
JPK89
AG
H2OPoloAg02 said:

JPK89 said:

merch said:

It's called google. You're welcome.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
JPK89 said:

H2OPoloAg02 said:

JPK89 said:

merch said:

It's called google. You're welcome.
If you make a point, be prepared to back it up. Don't hide behind "look it up yourself ".
GiveEmHellBill
AG
merch said:

Thanks Karen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.