Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Best Aggie Football play of the 90s

8,919 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Evanhue
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
my count ended up with 46 D/ST touchdowns for A&M during the decade of the 90's.

I imagine VT and Bama probably hit 50 in certain decades
94chem
NathanChristie said:

No love for the okie lite game on Nov 1st 1997?

When Tiki Hardeman burst through the middle in over time for the win.

It's hard to pick one single play, but the final stop by our defense in the 4th quarter, the ensuing drive, the TD pass to Cole, the 2-pt conversion catch by Parker, and the over time, were all sensational.

Branndon Stewart was the QB for both of the 15 point comebacks.
W
AG
a few notes...

A&M only lost 1 game in the 90's in which the defense had a pick 6: the Cotton Bowl vs. UCLA.

A&M lost 3 games in which the defense had a fumble return TD: 95 CU, 97 Nebraska, and 98 FSU.

A&M only lost 2 games in which it had a special teams TD: 96 t.u. and 99 Tech.

it was former KState head coach Bill Synder that always talked about...how scoring on D/ST significantly increased a team's chances of winning...and he made it a priority
W
AG
also interesting...

Dat, Leeland, Aaron Glenn, Kevin Smith, and Jay Brooks combined to account for 22 of the 46 touchdowns.

having great players is very important

particularly at DB
W
AG
so skipping 2000, 2001, and 2002...

and moving into the Fran & Sherman eras...this is not going to be pretty. Easy to see why that was the worst stretch of A&M football since the 1960's.

Interception returns for touchdowns: 4

-- Jaxson Appel pick 6 vs. Baylor in 2003
-- Justin Warren pick 6 vs. Wyoming in 2004
-- Jordan Peterson pick 6 vs. New Mexico in 2008
-- Dustin Harris pick 6 vs. SFA in 2010

fumble return/recovery touchdowns: 3

-- Jaxson Appel fumble return vs. Kansas in 2003
-- Jonte Buhl 98-yard fumble return vs. t.u. in 2004
-- Paul Freeney fumble return vs. Army in 2008

kickoff return touchdowns: 5

-- Jason Carter KO return vs. Nebraska in 2003
-- Kerry Franks KO return vs. Tech in 2006
-- Cyrus Gray KO return vs. Colorado in 2009
-- Coryell Judie KO return vs. Baylor in 2010
-- Coryell Judie KO return vs. OU in 2010

punt return touchdowns: 2

-- Dustin Harris punt return vs. LaTech in 2010
-- Dustin Harris punt return vs. Kansas in 2011

punt/FG block touchdowns: 2

-- Jaxson Appel blocked punt vs. SMU in 2005
-- Terrence Frederick blocked FG return vs. Tech in 2011

that adds up to 7 defensive touchdowns and 9 special teams touchdowns...in 9 seasons.

grand total of 16 D/ST scores
W
AG
several notes...

-- there was only one pick 6 in a conference game in the Fran & Sherman eras. Despite most teams throwing the ball 40 to 50 times per game.

-- only one TD was scored by an A&M linebacker during the Fran & Sherman eras.

-- A&M was 12-4 in the 16 games in which the D/ST scored
cc10106
94chem said:

W said:

all right, special teams touchdowns of the 90's:

McElroy KO returns vs. Rice in 1993...famously 2 in 1 game.
McElroy KO return vs. t.u. in 1993
McElroy KO return vs. Southern Miss in 1994
Dat KO return vs. MTSU in 1995
Sir Parker KO return vs. t.u. in 1996
Sir Parker KO return vs. Iowa State in 1997

Kevin Smith punt return vs. Rice in 1991
Kevin Smith punt return vs. t.u. in 1991
Aaron Glenn punt return vs. Missouri in 1993
Aaron Glenn punt return vs. TCU in 1993
Dante Hall punt return vs. Iowa State in 1996
Dante Hall punt return vs. ULL in 1997
Jason Webster punt return vs. OU in 1998

Dennis Allen blocked punt TD vs. UH in 1994
Michael Williams blocked punt TD vs. KState in 1997
Jay Brooks blocked punt TD vs. Tech in 1999

so that's 7 kickoff return TD's + 7 punt return TD's + 3 blocked punt TD's = 17 special teams touchdowns

So you came up with 44 total defensive or special teams TD's during the 90's? Probably missed a few, too. I wonder what Bama would be for 2010 - 2019, or Va Tech for 2000 - 2010, or Nebraska for 1990 - 2000.

How many times do you see a team hanging within a score or two of Bama, and then they just blow it wide open with a punt return, pick 6, or fumble return?
2016 game at Bama. It was all downhill from there the rest of the season and the next.

Props to Clemson and Deshaun Watson for wearing down and beating that amazing defense.
NathanChristie
AG
Shame on me for not mentioning Branndon Stewart. Yep, the KSU game gets more attention but the poise and heart shown by Stewart and the team was outstanding.in both games.
Class of 65
AG
Where is Sirr Parker these days?
oklacityag75
AG
Keith Woodside goes 90 yds on tu!!!

[url] [/url]

Azariah
AG
There were some amazing plays in the 90s, that's for sure. Gamble's fumble recovery in '99, TOOOOMS, and others. There is only one best play, though, and it's not subjective. There was only one play that resulted in the Aggie equivalent of rioting in the streets and burning and looting in celebration.

"HE GOT A TOUCHDOWN!"

If you were there, you know. Every apartment complex and house around the city had their doors flung open and people streaming out. It was pandemonium as we ran around screaming into the night.
TAMU74
AG
W said:

so that's 7 kickoff return TD's + 7 punt return TD's + 3 blocked punt TD's = 17 special teams touchdowns

I was at that Rice game at Rice Stadium when McElroy returns 2 kick offs for touchdowns. I'm trying to recall if they were back to back.
Check and see if you can find the game that was at Kyle Field when Larry Horton (?) returned the opening kick off for a touchdown against Lsu (?). I think the year was 1994.
Lots of great memories on this list.
Thanks for posting.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They were back to back, 93 and 88 yards.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-10-24-sp-49266-story.html
W
AG
yes, Rice took the opening possession and drove down the field and scored. Then McElroy returned the ensuing kickoff for 6. Then Rice drove the field again and kicked a FG. Then McElroy took the next kickoff back as well.

it was the 1989 LSU game where Larry Horton returned the opening kickoff of the Slocum era for a TD. Kevin Smith finished the scoring that night with a pick 6.

which means Kevin Smith scored 6 career D/ST touchdowns. One more than Dat
W
AG
so moving into the SEC era / Sumlin era...

interception returns for touchdowns:

-- Deshazor Everett pick 6 vs. SCarSt in 2012
-- Steven Jenkins pick 6 vs. Ole Miss in 2012
-- Nate Askew pick 6 vs. Sam Houston in 2013
-- Deshazor Everett pick 6 vs. Arkansas in 2013
-- Howard Matthews pick 6 vs. Vanderbilt in 2013
-- Tony Hurd pick 6 vs. Duke in the Chick-fil-A Bowl
-- Devonte Harris pick 6 vs. Ball State in 2015
-- Donovan Wilson pick 6 vs. South Carolina in 2015
-- Tyrell Dodson pick 6 vs. Lafayette in 2017
-- Derrick Tucker pick 6 vs. Ole Miss in 2017

fumble returns for touchdowns:

-- Tramain Jacobs fumble return vs. Arkansas in 2012
-- Deshazor Everett fumble return vs. SMU in 2013

that's 10 interception returns + 2 fumble returns = 12 defensive touchdowns
Agswinning
NathanChristie said:

No love for the okie lite game on Nov 1st 1997?

When Tiki Hardeman burst through the middle in over time for the win.

It's hard to pick one single play, but the final stop by our defense in the 4th quarter, the ensuing drive, the TD pass to Cole, the 2-pt conversion catch by Parker, and the over time, were all sensational.

To this day, this is still one of the most exciting games I've ever attended.
W
AG
and special teams touchdowns...(i.e. the Christian Kirk show in the second half of the Sumlin era):

Kickoff returns: 1

-- Christian Kirk vs. Arkansas in 2017

Punt returns: 8

-- Dustin Harris punt return vs. SCarSt in 2012
-- Christian Kirk punt return vs. Arizona State in 2015
-- Christian Kirk punt return vs. Alabama in 2015
-- Nick Harvey punt return vs. Prairie View in 2016
-- Christian Kirk punt return vs. Mississippi State in 2016
-- Christian Kirk punt returns vs. New Mexico State in 2016...2 in 1 game
-- Christian Kirk punt return vs. New Mexico in 2017

Blocked kicks: 2

-- Deshazor Everett blocked FG return vs. Auburn in 2014
-- Charles Oliver blocked punt recovery in Belk Bowl in 2017

so 11 special teams touchdowns in the Sumlin era.

which means a total of 23 D/ST TD's in Sumlin's 6 years --- not on pace with the decade of the 90's, but considerably better than the Fran/Sherman years. Basically double the rate of frequency
W
AG
it also seems like the D/ST scores in the SEC have made a much, much bigger difference between winning and losing than the D/ST scores during the Big 12 & SWC eras.

A&M probably loses the Chick-fil-A Bowl without Hurd's INT. Also loses the 2 games in Oxford without the pick 6's.

Same for the blocked FG vs. Auburn. And Kirk's KO return vs. Arkansas.

Wilson's second half pick 6 vs. South Carolina was critical too

W
AG
more notes...

A&M was 18-3 during the Sumlin era when scoring a D/ST touchdown.

perfect in games when the defense scored a touchdown
AgDad121619
AG
schmellba99 said:

maroongoon95 said:

UCLA cotton bowl.......another Aggie curse game
Yep. As soon as we let them score right before half ended, I turned to my dad (pissed) and said that the game was over. Typical RC game - play not to lose. And then lose.
. His bowl record reflects that style miserably. The sad thing was we would have a great plan, dominate early, and then play not lose. Maddening. We had talent to win a NC during his tenure but never could get play a full
Game wide open.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
RC Slocum led Texas A&M to back to back Big 12 South championships in 1997 and 1998 and a Big 12 Championship in 1998, but during his last four seasons, he failed to win more than 8 games. He went 55-4-1 at Kyle Field during the 1990s and 72-12-1 in all of his home games. However, in his final season in 2002, we went 3-4 in home games with loses to Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Missouri. A week after we upset then No. 1 8-0 Oklahoma 30-26 on November 9, 2002, we lost to 5-7 Missouri 33-27 in double overtime. Because we lost three winnable home games against Big 12 teams, fans were ready to move on from Slocum after a 6-6 season.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1467806.html

Slocum's struggles against Texas Tech and Texas started in 1995. From 1995 to 2002, he went 2-6 against Texas Tech with wins in 1998 and 2000. During that same span, he also went 2-6 against Texas with wins in 1997 and 1999. Even in our 20-16 win over Texas in 1999, the first extra point attempt was botched and returned by Texas for a two-point conversion. As a result, we trailed 16-6 instead of 14-7 before rallying for a victory 8 days after the Bonfire collapse. In a 48-47 overtime loss to Texas Tech on 10/5/02, we scored a touchdown to take a 41-38 lead with 1:44 left, but because we missed an extra point, Texas Tech needed only a field goal to force overtime. In overtime, we scored a touchdown to take a 47-41 lead, but missed another extra point attempt and ultimately lost 48-47. Without the first missed extra point, we probably would have beaten Texas Tech 42-38 in regulation.

He went 3-8 in bowl games, and 1-5 in bowl games decided by 8 points or less. In the 1998 Cotton Bowl, Dat Nguyen returned an interception 19 yards before lateraling it to Brandon Jennings, who returned it 64 yards for a touchdown. We led UCLA 16-0 and 16-7 at the half, but former Aggies offensive coordinator Bob Toledo and the Bruins outscored us 22-7 in the second half. We also lost to former Aggies head coach Jackie Sherrill and the Mississippi State Bulldogs 43-41 in overtime in the snowy 2000 Independence Bowl 43-41 for a fourth straight bowl loss.

After that bowl game was tied at 14, we scored a touchdown to take a 20-14 lead but missed an extra point. Then Mississippi State took the lead for the first time at 21-20. We scored a touchdown, a two point conversion, and another touchdown to take a 35-21 lead with 9:20 left. But Mark Farris threw an interception that allowed Mississippi State to tie the game and force overtime. Ja'Mar Tombs scored a 25-yard touchdown run on the first play of overtime to put us ahead 41-35, but Mississippi State blocked our extra point attempt and returned it for a two-point conversion to cut our lead to 41-37 instead of a 42-35 lead. That was the second time I saw a blocked or botched extra point attempt turn into two points for an opponent or a three-point swing. As a result, Mississippi State won by scoring a touchdown 43-41 instead of a 42-42 tie that would have forced a 2nd overtime.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I agree. Thank you for listing all of these defensive/special teams touchdowns in the different eras.

In a 30-27 win at Ole Miss on 10/6/12, we had six turnovers against two takeaways for a -4 turnover margin. It's almost impossible to win games with a negative turnover margin of -3 or worse, but the interception return proved to be the difference.

In a 52-48 win over Duke in the Chick Fil A Bowl on 12/31/13, our defense allowed 661 total yards (427 passing yards and 234 rushing yards) and 48 points, but we returned an interception to put us up ahead and came up with another interception to seal the win. Otherwise, we would have probably lost that game.

In the season opener loss at UCLA on 9/3/17, we blew a 44-10 lead to lose 45-44. We won the turnover margin 3-0 but scored just 13 points off of those takeaways. It's incredible how UCLA scored 35 unanswered points against us without a single defensive or special teams touchdown against us. All five of those touchdown drives were 66 yards or longer.

In a 50-43 overtime win over Arkansas on 9/23/17, Christian Kirk's 100 yard kickoff return put us ahead 40-36 before a 43-43 tie forced overtime. In that game, our defense allowed 456 total yards, including 226 rushing yards. That Arkansas team finished 4-8, including 1-7 in SEC games.

In a 31-24 win at Ole Miss, a pick-6 was the only touchdown of the 2nd half, and that turned out to be Kevin Sumlin's last win as Texas A&M head coach. That year, we beat South Carolina 24-17 and Florida 19-17 for four SEC wins and lost three SEC games by 15 or more points.

Even in the Jimbo Fisher Era, there were two games in which a defensive or special teams touchdown helped us to win close games against inferior SEC West teams.

In a 24-17 win over Arkansas on 9/29/18, Jashaun Corbin returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown that turned out to be the difference. That Arkansas team finished 2-10 and 0-8 in SEC games.

In a 24-17 win over Ole Miss on 10/19/19, Buddy Johnson's 62 yard fumble return proved to the difference. Ole Miss outgained us 405 yards to 337 yards and outrushed us 250 to 165. That Ole Miss team finished 4-8 and 2-6 in SEC games.

takingbacktexags
the info on p2 is fantastic - thanks!
Terence Kitchens
Interesting / Funny stats from '99. Against Southern Miss, Jay Brooks and Michael Jameson both had pick 6's, and I kicked 3 field goals including a 62 yarder, and we won 23-6 without scoring an offensive td. The following week in Lubbock, we blocked a punt and ran it in for a td, and I kicked 4 field goals, and we lost 21-19. We scored 42 points in two weeks without an offensive td. The next week we played Baylor at home, and our field crew painted the goal line maroon, hoping it would change the offensive luck. Everyone had a laughing cheer when we finally scored a td on offense.

-TK
TK
ReelDeal
AG
Coryatt's Hit across the middle usually makes the all time hit's reel. It's still probably the best I've seen.
texag86
AG
oklacityag75 said:

[url] [/url]

Woodside didn't play at atm in the 90s
TempleAg97
AG
W said:

This is a fabulous thread to start the day! Thanks to all for the trip down memory lane!

About "KO return" for a touchdown for Dat Nguyen. I was there and will never forget it. Middle Tennessee tried a quick onside kick in the 3rd quarter, Dat snagged it, and ran it in for a touchdown. Dat also had 18 tackles that day which wasn't terribly uncommon for him. I've been to every home game but one since 1993, and Dat is the most amazing Aggie player I've ever seen with the exception of Johnny.
AWP 97
AG
I know the game has changed and the days of 4 LBs on the field at the same time are over but I really miss RCs 3-4 Wrecking Crew defense. I've always been a fan of the 3-4. I don't particularly care for RC but he put together some great Ds. It makes me wonder how those late 80s and early 90s teams would have fared in the SEC gauntlet.
oklacityag75
AG
Epic Aggie Football night...

Traveler
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Dat Nguyen's interception and pitch to Brandon Jennings for a touchdown in the 1998 Cotton Bowl, which we choked away to UCLA.

Highlights of the Youtube are the UCLA OL acting like a water buffalo in terms of reaction time to realizing Dat ha the ball and the golly gee whillikers rootin-tootin Aggie fan who celebrates right after the touchdown on the TV.

This game is one of many Primary exhibits on why RC had to go ...
Windy City Ag
AG
I am always impressed with that line judge running stride for stride with Brandon Jennings.
Windy City Ag
AG
I went to the 1994 Texas game in Austin.Rodney Thomas went to the sky for his first TD reception. That play was part of the opening of Dale Hansen's sports special for years.

10:00 Minute mark on this video.

Evanhue
AG
oklacityag75 said:

Not the 90's but I'll allow it. I remember the big OL Cheek getting downfield and decleating that loudmouth Hagy at the 0:12 mark. I had a picture of it up on my office wall here in Austin for the longest time. Good times.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.