Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2020 Season Preview

3,753 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
carsongrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey Ags, I am a Junior at Texas A&M and I just started writing for a cool new sports site. I'd appreciate y'all taking a look. Leave your hottest Kellen Mond take in the comments!! https://www.tacklerr.com/texas-am-football-2020-season-preview/

Any feedback is appreciated!
T's and G's
AgOutsideAustin
TexAgs91
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Cool write up.

Thoughts: don't think "NY6" existed pre playoff so technically our 2013 Cotten Bowl win wasn't NY6. I'd also argue that our LB play 2018 season was great.
carsongrett
Thanks for the feedback! I would agree with the 2018 LB play, I'll be more specific.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
carsongrett said:

Hey Ags, I am a Junior at Texas A&M and I just started writing for a cool new sports site. I'd appreciate y'all taking a look. Leave your hottest Kellen Mond take in the comments!! https://www.tacklerr.com/texas-am-football-2020-season-preview/

T's and G's
Hey Carson, I was a sportswriter and editor for the Batt in the mid-90s. I am still a professional writer/editor today. I don't use social media, but if you're interested in some tips to improve your craft, post your email address so I can reach out. Best- Muck
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
No, the NY6 bowls did not exist in the BCS Era. The BCS Bowls included the Fiesta, Orange, Rose, and Sugar bowls. Our 2013 Cotton Bowl win wasn't a BCS or NY6 bowl appearance. The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games. The National Championship Game game rotated among four existing bowl games from the 1998 to 2005 season, and was a separate game from the 2006 to 2013 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

The New Year's Six (NY6) bowls are the top six major NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision bowl games: the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. The New Year's Six represent six of the ten oldest bowl games currently played at the FBS level. These six top-tier bowl games rotate the hosting of the two College Football Playoff (CFP) semifinal games, which determine the teams that play in the final College Football Playoff National Championship game.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Six#cite_note-ny6-1][1][/url] The rotation is set on a three-year cycle with the following pairings: Rose/Sugar, Orange/Cotton, and Fiesta/Peach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Six
carsongrett
thanks man
Agsuffering@bulaw
Fails to identify the biggest issues and adequately discuss them.

Could have done better just parroting whatever SM said on the film room. Here is an abbreviated version of what I would have said:

What were the biggest issues last year:

1. The OL sucked
2. Mond was inconsistent
3. Mond did not get enough help from the WR corps

Mond

You list one of his strengths- his legs. You fail to thoroughyl and evenly assess him. He has incredible arm talent and when he is on, looks like a Heisman candidate. He never complains and maintains a positive demeanor, even when faced with very unfair asks last season. Improved as a passer, throwing with anticipation in '19. In '18, he tended to throw badly behind open WRs b/c he was hesitating at the moment of truth.

He takes forever to identify the Mike, which has led to delay of game penalties. He tends to make serious mental mistakes, especially fumbles.

The biggest question is Mond's accuracy. Mond had a tendency to overthrow WRs. None of Mond's WRs were good enough to beat a good DB in single coverage, and none had great awareness. However, even when WRs had their men beat, Mond still sailed a few. One of the most noticable was an overthrow in the endzone during the bowl game.

While Mond was stuck playing behind a mediocre OL, he often showed poor pocket awareness. Mond often failed to step up in the pocket past the pass rush. Mond also often failed to slide away from pressure. Mond has a tendencey to throw away from pressure (ripped straight from the film room).

The OL

OL is not likely to improve significantly. The OL led the SEC in sacks allowed. Some blame has been placed on Mond's questionable pocket presence. However, the OL had its share of struggles. Additionally, the OL was unable to run against good defenses. UGA held the offense to 0 yards rushing.

There are actually 4 returners who have significant starting time. Both OTs and the LG started every game last year. Projected C Ryan McCollum started 14 games in '17 and '18. Many thought he was the better candidate to play C in '19, but struggled with injuries.

Of those 4, McCollum was the only to redshirt. The other 3 were low 3* recruits from HS, pressed on early b/c former coach Kevin Sumlin's OL R&D had gone to seed. The rule of thumb is that a 3* OL needs 3 full years of development. There is some hope that these 3 will emerge in a magical 4th year.

Returning LG Kenyon Green is reason for optimism. Green was a HS AA at LT. Green was asked to play out of position in 2019 and may do so again. Green struggled early to execute, especially in zone pass pro.

The Aggies have a number of highly rated recruits in the program, including another Matthews brother.

WRs

You fail to mention Demas! You fail to say that Buckley has something like 40 catches in his career here and that Ausbon is slow and has an average catch radius. You fail to mention why Preston could break out. You also fail to mention that in 2 years he has caught single digit passes even with unpsectacular upperclassmen in front of him.

You dont mention that Caleb Chapman and Musin Muhhammaed are also highly rated and built like the outside WRs we need.

RBs

You mention Spiller. You fail to mention that he sucked early in pass pro and fumbled several times. You do say that he emerged the go-to which is correct. You don't discuss moving Ainias to RB for the bowl or how Ainias and Achane both figure to play prominently as the #2RB in pony sets

TEs

You dont mention these at all. The TE is typically what makes Jimbo's (and most pro) offenses tick. Cupp was supposed to be the starter but got hurt in training camp. Wydermeyer emerged as a SEC all-fish. Wydermeyer's blocking was suppar, but he was a very good receiver once he got going. There is plenty of room for optimism at this position group. In fact, in '18, Jimbo used a good receiving TE in Jace and a good blocking TE in Wood to effectively threaten the edge, despite bad run-blocking OTs. There is hope that Cupp and Wydermeyer allow the Aggies to run outside and abuse LBs in the passing game.

Defense
1. Lacked a true pass rusher
2. Inconsistent play from the secondary

Pass Rush/ Lack of reserves on DL

Tyree Johnson has not done much his frist 3 years, but showed signs of life in the bowl game. He should be at least serviceable. Jeremiah Martin was highly rated but did not do much. Putting on some weight in the offseason could help him.

We bring in a Juco transfer who should have been our starting Edge last yera, but had grade problems. We also bring in 3 highly rated fish.

We should have someone serviceable at WDE. However, that may or may not be enough for the pass rush.

Demarvin Leal looked very good at SDE last year. He also played some 3 tech, but SDE is his natural position. Clemmons will challenge Leal for PT. Clemmons is solid vs run but inadequate as a pass rusher.

Bobby Brown, the NT is a run-stopper but has not shown a pass rush.

Peevy rushes the passer enough for a serviceable 3 tech, but has not shown Madabuike's chops.

We have several DT reserves who did little last year. We also bring in several highy rated fish who will push for PT.

We are good but thin up fron unless proven otherwise.

LBs

Buddy and Hines are good. Hansford is good enough to start somewhere and hopefully decides not to transfer. White looked solid in limited time. We should be good at LB.

Secondary

Richardson was good. Blades was good when healthy. Oneal was highly inconsistent and lacks top speed and breaking ability. Myles is an average Field Corner who cannot run with top WRs.

Several young players showed flashes last season. We also bring in another JUCO CB and several highly rated fish. With some luck, Blades stays healthy, Oneal and Jones get beaten out, and we have an elite secondary. If we dont have any luck, we will have another inconsistent secondary.

Conclusion

This team will only seriously challenge for a divsion title if most of the potential is realized. Possible, but unlikely. The talent base is increasing dramatically, and this program is likely positioning itself to challenge soon.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Quote:

Here is an abbreviated version of what I would have said:

Your abbreviated version is twice as long as the actual article.

Most websites like his hard cap their writers on pieces like this, or just take the original and trim it down to fit space. Kid has some talent, particularly at a school that hasn't had a journalism department in 10+ years.
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

2013 Cotten Bowl

Seriously??
northeastag
AG
carsongrett said:

T's and G's

Nice effort. I enjoyed reading it, but probably not as objective as you'd need to be.
JPK89
AG
carsongrett said:

T's and G's

Hey Ags???!!! Wtf. You've had 3 years to get Howdy into your vocabulary.

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Sorry, I was eating and typing left handed
carsongrett
Yes I definitely could not post an article that long haha. Thanks for the kind words.
carsongrett
Hahaha I'm sorry!! I hate to say it but Howdy and other old army stuff is dying quick
carsongrett
carsongrett@tamu.edu
Thanks!
carsongrett
Thanks for the feedback!
Ags4DaWin
MuckRaker96 said:

Quote:

Here is an abbreviated version of what I would have said:

Your abbreviated version is twice as long as the actual article.

Most websites like his hard cap their writers on pieces like this, or just take the original and trim it down to fit space. Kid has some talent, particularly at a school that hasn't had a journalism department in 10+ years.

Also your assessment is awful. HTH
Ag Tag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Fails to identify the biggest issues and adequately discuss them.

Could have done better just parroting whatever SM said on the film room. Here is an abbreviated version of what I would have said:

What were the biggest issues last year:

1. The OL sucked
2. Mond was inconsistent
3. Mond did not get enough help from the WR corps

Mond

You list one of his strengths- his legs. You fail to thoroughyl and evenly assess him. He has incredible arm talent and when he is on, looks like a Heisman candidate. He never complains and maintains a positive demeanor, even when faced with very unfair asks last season. Improved as a passer, throwing with anticipation in '19. In '18, he tended to throw badly behind open WRs b/c he was hesitating at the moment of truth.

He takes forever to identify the Mike, which has led to delay of game penalties. He tends to make serious mental mistakes, especially fumbles.

The biggest question is Mond's accuracy. Mond had a tendency to overthrow WRs. None of Mond's WRs were good enough to beat a good DB in single coverage, and none had great awareness. However, even when WRs had their men beat, Mond still sailed a few. One of the most noticable was an overthrow in the endzone during the bowl game.

While Mond was stuck playing behind a mediocre OL, he often showed poor pocket awareness. Mond often failed to step up in the pocket past the pass rush. Mond also often failed to slide away from pressure. Mond has a tendencey to throw away from pressure (ripped straight from the film room).

The OL

OL is not likely to improve significantly. The OL led the SEC in sacks allowed. Some blame has been placed on Mond's questionable pocket presence. However, the OL had its share of struggles. Additionally, the OL was unable to run against good defenses. UGA held the offense to 0 yards rushing.

There are actually 4 returners who have significant starting time. Both OTs and the LG started every game last year. Projected C Ryan McCollum started 14 games in '17 and '18. Many thought he was the better candidate to play C in '19, but struggled with injuries.

Of those 4, McCollum was the only to redshirt. The other 3 were low 3* recruits from HS, pressed on early b/c former coach Kevin Sumlin's OL R&D had gone to seed. The rule of thumb is that a 3* OL needs 3 full years of development. There is some hope that these 3 will emerge in a magical 4th year.

Returning LG Kenyon Green is reason for optimism. Green was a HS AA at LT. Green was asked to play out of position in 2019 and may do so again. Green struggled early to execute, especially in zone pass pro.

The Aggies have a number of highly rated recruits in the program, including another Matthews brother.

WRs

You fail to mention Demas! You fail to say that Buckley has something like 40 catches in his career here and that Ausbon is slow and has an average catch radius. You fail to mention why Preston could break out. You also fail to mention that in 2 years he has caught single digit passes even with unpsectacular upperclassmen in front of him.

You dont mention that Caleb Chapman and Musin Muhhammaed are also highly rated and built like the outside WRs we need.

RBs

You mention Spiller. You fail to mention that he sucked early in pass pro and fumbled several times. You do say that he emerged the go-to which is correct. You don't discuss moving Ainias to RB for the bowl or how Ainias and Achane both figure to play prominently as the #2RB in pony sets

TEs

You dont mention these at all. The TE is typically what makes Jimbo's (and most pro) offenses tick. Cupp was supposed to be the starter but got hurt in training camp. Wydermeyer emerged as a SEC all-fish. Wydermeyer's blocking was suppar, but he was a very good receiver once he got going. There is plenty of room for optimism at this position group. In fact, in '18, Jimbo used a good receiving TE in Jace and a good blocking TE in Wood to effectively threaten the edge, despite bad run-blocking OTs. There is hope that Cupp and Wydermeyer allow the Aggies to run outside and abuse LBs in the passing game.

Defense
1. Lacked a true pass rusher
2. Inconsistent play from the secondary

Pass Rush/ Lack of reserves on DL

Tyree Johnson has not done much his frist 3 years, but showed signs of life in the bowl game. He should be at least serviceable. Jeremiah Martin was highly rated but did not do much. Putting on some weight in the offseason could help him.

We bring in a Juco transfer who should have been our starting Edge last yera, but had grade problems. We also bring in 3 highly rated fish.

We should have someone serviceable at WDE. However, that may or may not be enough for the pass rush.

Demarvin Leal looked very good at SDE last year. He also played some 3 tech, but SDE is his natural position. Clemmons will challenge Leal for PT. Clemmons is solid vs run but inadequate as a pass rusher.

Bobby Brown, the NT is a run-stopper but has not shown a pass rush.

Peevy rushes the passer enough for a serviceable 3 tech, but has not shown Madabuike's chops.

We have several DT reserves who did little last year. We also bring in several highy rated fish who will push for PT.

We are good but thin up fron unless proven otherwise.

LBs

Buddy and Hines are good. Hansford is good enough to start somewhere and hopefully decides not to transfer. White looked solid in limited time. We should be good at LB.

Secondary

Richardson was good. Blades was good when healthy. Oneal was highly inconsistent and lacks top speed and breaking ability. Myles is an average Field Corner who cannot run with top WRs.

Several young players showed flashes last season. We also bring in another JUCO CB and several highly rated fish. With some luck, Blades stays healthy, Oneal and Jones get beaten out, and we have an elite secondary. If we dont have any luck, we will have another inconsistent secondary.

Conclusion

This team will only seriously challenge for a divsion title if most of the potential is realized. Possible, but unlikely. The talent base is increasing dramatically, and this program is likely positioning itself to challenge soon.
I'd like to offer a comment, but I need more information.
JPK89
AG
carsongrett said:

Hahaha I'm sorry!! I hate to say it but Howdy and other old army stuff is dying quick

Only if you let it. My daughter just graduated and she'd never say "hey."
BQDrummer85
AG
bulaw makes it sound like we had such poor play that we didn't win a game!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
OP....

As a former broadcast and newspaper sports journalist (who spent some time at Reed McDonald and KAMU) my advice is to get ready to live on close to minimum wage and with no weekends or holidays off.

And if you're a journalism major pick a strong minor. Back in the day journalism majors were required to select a strong minor.

Thanks, advisor.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.