Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbos new O

7,625 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by samhoustonag
TRaww
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was trying to think about if when Coach Jimbo Fisher installs the new offense if it's gonna be how We need to be when we start playing the conference schedule

Because it NEEDS to be there
IamGroot
AG
TRaww said:

I was trying to think about if when Coach Jimbo Fisher installs the new offense if it's gonna be how We need to be when we start playing the conference schedule

Are you referring to the new offense WITHOUT MOND? If so, it won't get here too soon.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

PeekingDuck
AG
Call me when he finds a functional QB. I might watch a game or two.
DSAG
PeekingDuck said:

At some point in recruiting, Jimbo needs to strike gold with a QB Recruit. Is Haynes King or Eli Stowers going to be the real deal ?
I like them both but they will need development for sure.
Caesar4
AG
TRaww said:

Please repost when you're finished trying to think. I believe most don't understand the point you've tried to make.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
TRaww said:

Translate to intelligible English please....
Tamu_mgm
AG
There ain't a new offense, it's the same offense just with more weapons. With the right pieces he'll have this offense humming with the best of them, just like he did at Florida St. The accumulation of talent is providing him with what he needs. Absolute playmakers like Demond Demas, Devone Achane, Jaylen Wydermyer, Baylor Cupp, Haynes King, Moose Muhammad, among others are the necessary injection of speed and athleticism needed to ignite the offense in years to come, including 2020.
samhoustonag
Tamu_mgm said:

There ain't a new offense, it's the same offense just with more weapons. With the right pieces he'll have this offense humming with the best of them, just like he did at Florida St. The accumulation of talent is providing him with what he needs. Absolute playmakers like Demond Demas, Devone Achane, Jaylen Wydermyer, Baylor Cupp, Haynes King, Moose Muhammad, among others are the necessary injection of speed and athleticism needed to ignite the offense in years to come, including 2020.
All we need is a great QB and we are set.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Jimbo pretty much runs the same route combinations. The only thing that varies is the personell and alignment. The only big changed in the past 5 years is adding RPO concepts.

Based on interviews pre-season (regarding losing Ben Miles and possibly using pony sets) and after the SC game (always teach 2 backs, employ it situationally).

The difference this year is he plans on using a lot of pony sets and 12 personnell with Wydermeyer & Cupp. RBs like Ainias and Achane will run alot of the same routes the slot would normally run in the base 11 personnell.

What could change the plan:

+several of the young WRs emerge to the point Jimbo likes his chances playing with 3 WR again
+We find a FB and several younger OL emerge to where we are effective running like in '18
-Wydermeyer and Cupp do not block enough to bother with 12 personnell
-bad enough attrition at the RB position requires no pony sets until late in a winnable game

--------------
Pony Set: a personnell group using 2 Tailbacks, not a Tailback and a Fullback
12: Personnell group of 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR
11: Personell group of 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR
Spyderman
AG
PeekingDuck said:

um...how about a functional OL?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
lil_frog8
AG
I see a lot of Ace sets in our future with plays being called to either the field or the weaker of the opposing DEs. The balanced formation will give the other team fits trying to declare strengths and all we have to do is pick the side we feel is the more favorable one to run the play. This will also help Mond because there will be more half field reads and higher probability of mirrored routes so less things to think about post snap. Granted it could lead to more delay of games trying to figure out which side to run the play to at the LOS.
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
TEXAS FINEST
Where can one find what Formations that Jimbo is going to run this year...Until I see it on field I definitely don't believe it....
Agsuffering@bulaw
Jimbo's not going to come out and say it. Must deduce by looking at the pieces. The question is where can we create the mismatches? There are only 2 answers: scheme or personnel. Most SEC DCs are too good to routinely get beat by scheme alone. Most of the mismatch must come from the personnel. We can mismatch most LBs/Rovers/NBs with the RBs and hopefully the TEs.

The personnel is the key, not the formation. Jimbo will load up one side when he wants 1 high. He will stay balanced when he wants both high or to punish a safety for shading a side.

Because, what do we know?

Bowl- We ran for 250 yards and averaged 6/carry. Okie Lite 's defense last year is analogous to a median (elites would skew the avg higher) SEC defense.

OL- struggled last year with 3 JRs who return. At this point, they probably are who they are. Kenyon should improve, the question is whether enough others do likewise. Jimbo cannot count on the OL being good enough to force defenses to bring a safety up regularly. He also cannot count on them being good enough in pass pro to force defenses to blitz regularly.

FB- losing Miles probably hurt more than we realized. We never found an effective lead blocker. Remember we tried plugging Bobby Brown in, but even that was not great. We are not likely to create a mismatch with the FB against most SEC LBs.

WR- Ausbon and Buckley have shown themselves to be complimentary players, but not mismatch-makers. Ainias was the only younger WR to challenge for PT. That is a bad sign for the '18 and '19 classes.

Demas is supposed to be a freak and Muhsin is also supposed to be good, Either could force Jimbo to go back to 3WR. There is always a chance one or more of the players on the roster puts it together.

But, we need a 1,000 yard receiver, or 2 WRs to at least do what Q did. It could happen, but Jimbo cannot count on it. And Jimbo typically asks WRs to make reads and adjustments that most spreads do not. Most WRs need 1-2 years to learn to do this correctly.

I speculate that if Demas or Moose are good enough to create mismatches, maybe Jimbo plays them and asks less on the mental side for this year only. We cannot count on that.

RB

We saw Spiller and Ainias can get it done. Achane is supposed to be even better than Ainias plus Jackson and Hubbard had offers from the good SEC programs.

TE

This is the real X-factor. IF Cupp can block and catch just enough to beat a LB, then we have our mismatch agsinst teams that lack a legit rover. If Cupp is good enough to block a LB and catch against a DB, we could be in the money even against teams with good rovers.

Optimism comes from the fact that Cupp was supposed to stat before he got hurt. Jimbo was able to create all kinds of problems with Jace and Wood. Wood was not much of a receiver and Jace was not much of a blocker. Imagine what he could do with 2 TEs who can catch and at least one who can block!

Caution comes from the fact that Wydermeyer took half a seaon to get going. So Cupp could be better than Wydermeyer in August, but not better than Wydermeyer in November.

Anyways, its not complicated. Jimbo will look to mismatch the LBs and Rovers, unless we find a WR who demands a double team or an OL who can dominate the point of attack. Most LBs will struggle to run with our small backs and most DBs will struggle to tackle our power backs. IF Cupp re-emerges, then he and Wydermeyer can create mismatches.

The pony set alone should take us to 9-3, assuming only reasonable attrition and we find a way to scratch out wins in the 1-2 games where we play down. The Ace set could be what gets us win #10.

Its also possible to be pleasantly surprised by a position. If so, Jimbo will adjust accordingly.
fightinag
Get Haynes King some playing time in the first several games.....
He may win the starting job.......
No way to know without playing him
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Yeah, I'm sure you, posting on the TexAgs football forum, will only watch one or two games this year because of one player.
PeekingDuck
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

PeekingDuck said:

Yeah, I'm sure you, posting on the TexAgs football forum, will only watch one or two games this year because of one player.

I didn't watch a single game last year. I did watch the first half of the bowl game but only because I was at a bar. I think this is my 2nd post on the football forum in a good year or so.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Mond was a better QB this year. In 2018, he was throwing late and behind WRs. This year, he was throwing with anticipation. He did it despite not having a playmaking WR and being constantly pressured.
fieldtrailer
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Mond was a better QB this year. In 2018, he was throwing late and behind WRs. This year, he was throwing with anticipation. He did it despite not having a playmaking WR and being constantly pressured.

Except for a 2nd half against Clemson and OT against LSU (both 2018), Mond has been terrible. Ok St game was pathetic. He's been worst qb in 20 years with exception of 2015 season and maybe J Johnson. He is very inconsistent passer and is only playing because he can take a beating due to an awful oline. A big reason i won't mind if it's canceled this year. Can't watch another season of him. I thought this before his blm stuff.
TEXAS FINEST
How was he better in 19' when he through for 300 less yard with same amount of attempts....Same WR's he had in 18' average 14 yards per catch and in 19' average 11....
samhoustonag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

What games were you watching?
samhoustonag
HateMeNowAggie said:

How was he better in 19' when he through for 300 less yard with same amount of attempts....Same WR's he had in 18' average 14 yards per catch and in 19' average 11....
Surprised it was that high.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.