Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Besides Kellen Mond's development, 1 area of improvement will determine 2020 upside

5,341 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DSAG
Law Hall 69-72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mond needs to stop looking like a statue.
monarch
S
OP: you talking about Mond's mental, physical, psychological, political or football development? Not sure where he is on any of those aspects of his life right now.
schmellba99
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The schematic breakdowns mostly got fixed. Kenyon and Spiller got better as the season went on. But we still got beat plenty even with correct execution. We led the SEC in sacks/game by a significant margin. We were 2.62. Next was MSU at 2.39, then LSU and Vandy at 2.33, Mizzou at 2.25, SC at 2.08. The rest were under 2.
Now break down how many of those were a direct result of tree growth slow Mond making piss poor decisions, taking 5-6 seconds and subsequently running directly into defensive linemen?

you can't simply throw numbers out without context.

Was our line all world? Nope, and I never claimed it to be. But it also wasn't nearly as bad as the board wanted it to be. You guys see numbers only and point to those, but those numbers hide a lot of the actual facts. The line was better than average at pass blocking, it was ho-hum at best at run blocking (i'd even go so far as to say it was flat bad). The combination of those with a QB that was short bus slow on his reads and decision making lead to more sacks than what should have been. Period.
TopoTacos
AG
BCEDAg said:

The two tight end sets with Wydermyer and Cupp should help o- line performance this year.

This is a huge point, we can run a "heavy" package but not lose much in terms of the passing game, not to mention using Anias Smith in the backfield. This should help both Mond and our run game in establishing some mismatches
rootube
AG
samhoustonag said:

rootube said:

samhoustonag said:

rootube said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

schmellba99 said:

Has to be offensive line. Better o line play improves running game and gives KM more time which he desperately needs to work through his progressions.

Dude, the line actually pass blocked better than average last season. It's not a case of the line needing to give Mond more time. It's a case of Mond needing to operate faster, make better decisions and not run directly into defensive linemen when he does decide to scramble 6 seconds after the snap.

The whole "the offensive line sucked" mentality is the biggest example of message board group think there is. They sucked at run blocking against good teams, but pass blocked pretty solid the entire season.

I will have to disagree with you and not because of group think. I watched the games and saw our offensive line get whooped routinely. We could barely run the ball in the opener against Texas state. against good to very good competition we could not block anyone. I agree with KM needing to process quicker I am definitely not a KM apologist however the O line regressed dramatically in 2019. I saw 2-4 whiffs a game by Kenyon green who is suppose to be our best blocker I saw lineman get pushed straight back into the quarterback and I saw tackles that got exposed if the defensive end they were blocking had any next level ability. We absolutely missed Eric McCoy up the middle. You don't actually believe losing a future pro bowler at center and replacing him with Colton prater is an upgrade, do you? So for those reasons I believe the best way for our team to improve is via improved offensive line play and as I stated earlier for KM to process quicker.
Just look at the stats. We were worst in the entire SEC in sacks allowed and if you subtract Monds rushing we were second to worst in rushing. Mond may have had issues but he didn't get a lot of help.
Slow reads, slow to work through progression, slow release and a penchant for running headlong into the pressure. Yep, he had issues. Much of the problem was of his own making.
And yet somehow we were one of the best passing teams in the SEC last year. We had a pretty bad offense last year and there was plenty of blame to go around. If we can't protect the QB and run the ball more effectively this year then it won't matter who is our QB.

And yet somehow we finished fourth in the West division.

{Also, based on what metric?}

Based on SEC passing statistics for 2019. Mond was third in yards passing in 2019. .He was right behind Kyle Trask and both of them were miles behind Burrow.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I was referring to his football development. I copied the headline from a Saturday Down South article but had to shorten the title of my thread because of a limited number of characters.
samhoustonag
rootube said:

samhoustonag said:

rootube said:

samhoustonag said:

rootube said:

schmellba99 said:

Has to be offensive line. Better o line play improves running game and gives KM more time which he desperately needs to work through his progressions.

Dude, the line actually pass blocked better than average last season. It's not a case of the line needing to give Mond more time. It's a case of Mond needing to operate faster, make better decisions and not run directly into defensive linemen when he does decide to scramble 6 seconds after the snap.

The whole "the offensive line sucked" mentality is the biggest example of message board group think there is. They sucked at run blocking against good teams, but pass blocked pretty solid the entire season.

I will have to disagree with you and not because of group think. I watched the games and saw our offensive line get whooped routinely. We could barely run the ball in the opener against Texas state. against good to very good competition we could not block anyone. I agree with KM needing to process quicker I am definitely not a KM apologist however the O line regressed dramatically in 2019. I saw 2-4 whiffs a game by Kenyon green who is suppose to be our best blocker I saw lineman get pushed straight back into the quarterback and I saw tackles that got exposed if the defensive end they were blocking had any next level ability. We absolutely missed Eric McCoy up the middle. You don't actually believe losing a future pro bowler at center and replacing him with Colton prater is an upgrade, do you? So for those reasons I believe the best way for our team to improve is via improved offensive line play and as I stated earlier for KM to process quicker.
Just look at the stats. We were worst in the entire SEC in sacks allowed and if you subtract Monds rushing we were second to worst in rushing. Mond may have had issues but he didn't get a lot of help.
Slow reads, slow to work through progression, slow release and a penchant for running headlong into the pressure. Yep, he had issues. Much of the problem was of his own making.
And yet somehow we were one of the best passing teams in the SEC last year. We had a pretty bad offense last year and there was plenty of blame to go around. If we can't protect the QB and run the ball more effectively this year then it won't matter who is our QB.

And yet somehow we finished fourth in the West division.

{Also, based on what metric?}

Based on SEC passing statistics for 2019. Mond was third in yards passing in 2019. .He was right behind Kyle Trask and both of them were miles behind Burrow.
Third.
Agsuffering@bulaw
You have cut ups, I will watch them. It would take all day get the video from youtube.

Mond was slow at reading the front. He usually read coverage fine. Yes, his pocket presence is not good. My guess is that 20-25% of sacks were on Mond. That is still too much.
monarch
S
Iraq2xVeteran
In reply to monarch 11:32a, 7/8/20

AG

I was referring to his football development. I copied the headline from a Saturday Down South article but had to shorten the title of my thread because of a limited number of characters.

Screwing with your head dude.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
schmellba99 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The schematic breakdowns mostly got fixed. Kenyon and Spiller got better as the season went on. But we still got beat plenty even with correct execution. We led the SEC in sacks/game by a significant margin. We were 2.62. Next was MSU at 2.39, then LSU and Vandy at 2.33, Mizzou at 2.25, SC at 2.08. The rest were under 2.
Now break down how many of those were a direct result of tree growth slow Mond making piss poor decisions, taking 5-6 seconds and subsequently running directly into defensive linemen?

you can't simply throw numbers out without context.

Was our line all world? Nope, and I never claimed it to be. But it also wasn't nearly as bad as the board wanted it to be. You guys see numbers only and point to those, but those numbers hide a lot of the actual facts. The line was better than average at pass blocking, it was ho-hum at best at run blocking (i'd even go so far as to say it was flat bad). The combination of those with a QB that was short bus slow on his reads and decision making lead to more sacks than what should have been. Period.

I think we can all agree that mond with an average o Line at best is not conducive to success offensively. I personally think our o line was not as good as the previous year however I can totally agree that mond doesn't do them any favors either. The question was where do we need to improve the most. I think many posters who have mentioned o line were taking into account that Mond is our quarterback.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I was not. Our OL was subpar for the SEC. Yes, Mond could help them out w/ better pocket presence.

But, it would take Joe Burrows/JFF level pocket presence to have changed the outcome in any of the losses.
samhoustonag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I was not. Our OL was subpar for the SEC. Yes, Mond could help them out w/ better pocket presence.

But, it would take Joe Burrows/JFF level pocket presence to have changed the outcome in any of the losses.
Nope. Just needed a QB who could complete a pass longer than 10 yards with decent consistency. And get the pass out much more quickly.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
Mond takes too damn long with the ball and has no clue how to "throw" a receiver open, something basic to many QBs in high school and even Jr High. He is at his best when the receiver on any pass play is "pre-determined" and he does not have to think. Its 1-2-3 or 1-2 and the ball comes out on time. Its when he has to read the defense pre-snap that the wheels fall off because he does not trust his pre-snap read and plays tentative. To summarize, he doesn't understand the game and how to throw someone open. Even if its a wrong read, you can still throw someone open just by being accurate with good ball placement.

Aside from this glaring deficiency, OL play in the biggest issue we have.
zephyr88
AG
The fact that there's a thread title that includes the "development" of senior player says a lot about the state of the program.
DSAG

I could not agree more.
We need to have a plus offensive line or we cannot compete with the big boys in the SEC.
Simple as that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.