Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

LSU - 4th DE commit 2021

7,028 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
epate18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LSU just picked up their 4th DE recruit for 2021. What's their strategy here? Trying to push 1 or 2 recruits out? It may be the alcohol but I'm confused by their strategy.
TheWoodsAg
AG
They're switching from Aranda's 3-4 to Pelini's 4-3. They need DEs that fit the new system.
epate18
That makes sense. It shows they have 9 on roster with 4 of those from last recruiting cycle.
psybj
Tall, fast athletic kids, can play DE or LB. Pelini likes speed and guys he can move about before/after the snap. None are yet the preferred weight of a DE.
psybj
SattlerAggie
Just helps more with trying to flip Jackson. Good news for us in a round about way
Agsuffering@bulaw
If I can add the Woods (sorry for those who already know this):

For LSU: WDE is critical to the 4-3 and they have few on the roster, and several of those will be gone in a year
For Recruits: Opportunity to get in near the ground floor. All 4 of their '21 commits are WDE.

Most of the DEs on corndog's roster appear built like SDEs, which is typical for a 3-4. They currently have the following 4 that numbers classified as WDEs:

Travez Moore- RSSr Juco transfer who has hardly played
Jarrell Cherry- highly rated RS Soph, has not done much yet (although he was behind some BMFs)
Desmond Little- RS Fish this year, a mid 3*
BJ Ojulari- highly rated incoming fish

Moore will be gone after 20 and at least one of Cherry/Little likely gone.

We just had a big WDE class b/c there was no true established returning starter.
DSAG
LSU is also looking good for Korey Foreman (I believe a DE) who is the top ranked player in the Rivals Database.
Amazing what a national title does for recruiting.
AggieOO
I read this as de-commit.
AggieBlu
AG
So we still have a chance with Landon Jackson!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Agsuffering@bulaw
Korey Foreman is a SDE who is probably good enough to also play WDE. LSU has no SDEs yet.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And if anybody wondered, LSU should still be effective w/ average productivity from the WDE. They return from '19: a S w/ 5 sacks, an ILB with 3.5, and a NT with 3. That should be enough to offset average pass rushers in the rest of the front.
AgDad121619
AG
I like that they are changing schemes - relying on fish is not a recipe for success - I hope the Bo Pelini experiment fails miserably.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Honest (non-argumentative) Question, and I lack a firm opinion:

Is LSU making a mistake transitioning to a 4 man front?

From what I have read, the state produces a lot of fast dudes, but not a lot of big dudes. Obviously, there are more LB bodies in the general population than DL bodies. They also seem to have no problem finding DBs who can blitz, which seems to work better with an odd front. I realize there a bunch of factors:

-Was Pelini willing to stay in base 3?
-If not, could they have money-whipped someone on the Pelini/Aranda level?
< I dont pretend to know these 2>

-Most HS DL recruits prefer a single-gap system, b/c it means less clogging and more attacking
-The odd front requires a true tank at NT (or an incredible athlete who will resent playing NT)
-It looks like every other recruit w/ a true NT body(from '16 on) is from OOS
-In the past 5 classes, they got 4 DL from Juco (bad indicator)

-The last time Pelini was there, Auburn was the only good program in the SECw and A&M was way down
-Have not looked at recruiting that far back, but guessing they had no problem going OOS for DL needs
-Flipside is that very few were running odd fronts back then

I love the 3-man front for the right program and hate it for the most b/c of the personnel demands it makes. I think most SEC offenses have good enough TEs to punish the "3-3 clog the middle" BDF trash* But LSU usually had tweeners who could defeat most TEs.

*I realize that what I call "3-3 clog BDF trash" is an adaptation of what RC's system. 20 years ago offenses were not smart enough to attack the edge. The rules allowed defenses to destroy small offensive players and RC also had personnel to defeat TEs and sweeps.
psybj
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Is LSU making a mistake transitioning to a 4 man front?

From what I have read, the state produces a lot of fast dudes, but not a lot of big dudes. Obviously, there are more LB bodies in the general population than DL bodies. They also seem to have no problem finding DBs who can blitz, which seems to work better with an odd front. I realize there a bunch of factors:

-Was Pelini willing to stay in base 3?
-If not, could they have money-whipped someone on the Pelini/Aranda level?
< I dont pretend to know these 2>

-Most HS DL recruits prefer a single-gap system, b/c it means less clogging and more attacking
-The odd front requires a true tank at NT (or an incredible athlete who will resent playing NT)
-It looks like every other recruit w/ a true NT body(from '16 on) is from OOS
-In the past 5 classes, they got 4 DL from Juco (bad indicator)

-The last time Pelini was there, Auburn was the only good program in the SECw and A&M was way down
-Have not looked at recruiting that far back, but guessing they had no problem going OOS for DL needs
-Flipside is that very few were running odd fronts back then

I love the 3-man front for the right program and hate it for the most b/c of the personnel demands it makes. I think most SEC offenses have good enough TEs to punish the "3-3 clog the middle" BDF trash* But LSU usually had tweeners who could defeat most TEs.

*I realize that what I call "3-3 clog BDF trash" is an adaptation of what RC's system. 20 years ago offenses were not smart enough to attack the edge. The rules allowed defenses to destroy small offensive players and RC also had personnel to defeat TEs and sweeps.
Orgeron, DL coach history, prefers an attacking D. LSU used some 4-3 last season. O would not tell Aranda what to use, but he chose Pelini in part because he uses 4-3 primarily.

Pelini was extremely productive at LSU in the past using a 4-3. His Neb teams were also very good D, and he never won less than 9 games there. Lost his job because he don't care re PC, pizzed off too many boosters. Neb hasn't done well since he left. Great DC but not good at politics limits not HC potential.

LA will produce far more 4-3 DL than 3-4 DL. LSU expects to have its best DL corps in many years in '20.

LSU expects to get a commit soon from another excellent LB from the east coast as well as a 5star DT.
psybj
psybj
AgDad121619 said:

I like that they are changing schemes - relying on fish is not a recipe for success - I hope the Bo Pelini experiment fails miserably.
Pelini isn't an experiment. He was extremely productive as DC at LSU in the past and did well on D as HC of Neb. At his last job, as HC, he didn't recruit well. He was brought in by Belichek as consultant to help Pats D of spreads and RPO.

after '19, 8 or maybe more LSU D players signed with NFL teams and 2 entered the transfer portal (5star & 4star), apparently seeing they would get no PT.

Despite the above, LSU staff is convinced they will have a much improved D in '20. They return the best non-QB player in the nation on D, and the Frosh reported in fantastic condition and looked great.
psybj
TheWoodsAg
AG
Pelini's defenses at Nebraska were average/mediocre after 2010. Wisconsin and Ohio St routinely took him to the woodshed and when Nebraska fans (the best/nicest fans on the planet) started to get tired of it, Bo started a war with his own fans .

He'll have better players at Baton Rouge but he's not on Dave Aranda's level anymore.

Here's a nice reminder of Brett Bielema hanging 70 points on him. Brett Bielema.....

[url] [/url]
Agsuffering@bulaw
There already was a thread on Pelini. Could we please keep this about 3-4 vs 4-3 and the type of talent produced in the region?
Agsuffering@bulaw
So I question this. It looks like the State of LA produces enough in-house run a 3-4 mostly on in-state recruits. The state appars to produce a high impact NT and ~3 total DL most years. It appears to only produce a WDE every other year.

According to numbers, 2 high impact WDEs in the previous 5 classes. I was looking for someone 6'300, 6'1" 310, 6'2" 320, etc as a true NT, but this is just eyeballing stats.

yr: total DL from LA/ built like a 0tech NT
16: 7/ probably 1
17:2/1
18::2*/ none
19: 2**/1
20: 5/1

To run a 4 man front, a program probably needs to bring in a WDE every year and 2-3 other DL. The State of LA does not produce that most years. Maybe Orgeron figures he can supplement OOS. In years where they are winning big, yes. The question is when they go 9-3 for a few years. Someone else can discuss that.

*Rosenthal is listed as a DT but moved to OT
**there was a sip recruit listed as a SDE at 6'3"240#, could be nothing but looks inflated- Myron Warren
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.