Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which player was the most fun to watch when you were a student?

13,939 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Alpha Texan
Alpha Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you OLD ags reminisce on your time at Kyle as a student, who stands out the most? Names like Dat Nguyen, Aaron Glenn, Jeff Fuller, Aaron Wallace, and Bucky Richardson get thrown around on here as some of the greats, but my the earliest great that I can remember watching as a kid was Von Miller. Since then, I do remember watching legends like Myles Garrett, Mike Evans, and Johnny.

As CO '21, I don't think A&M has had any players that brought that level of energy to Kyle in my time as a student so far. Donovan Wilson only ever got to play about half of a game at a time, Kendrick Rogers looked like he could be a monster but really only had like 2 good games, and even Kirk wasn't exactly a bomb waiting to go off in the 2017 season like we had hoped. I guess my best memories of individual players in my time as a student will come from special teams: Gilly and Braden Mann.

Perhaps someone will really put on a show this year like Bobby Brown, Demas, or Smith, if we play.

So who was "that guy" when you were a student?

*edit to spell Aaron Glenn correctly
DDowl44
AG
I think my year groups we had Stephen McGee, Von Miller, and of course Javorski Lane. I thnk the JTrain was an absolute fan favorite. I got to know Jeff Fuller and Jerrod Johnson on a personal level so naturally, they were my favorites. I am really hoping Jerrod's coaching career takes off as I'd love to see him on the sidelines on Sundays someday as a QB or OC if not HC down the line.
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
spherical
AG
Reggie and j-train
AG
Alpha Texan said:

When you OLD ags reminisce on your time at Kyle as a student, who stands out the most? Names like Dat Nguyen, Eric Glenn,

I have no idea who Eric Glenn is, but Aaron Glenn was pretty damn fun to watch.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Robert Wilson, backfield mate to Darren Lewis, a good runner in his own right but an absolute beast as a FB. He had a decent NFL career.

The BYU Holiday Bowl was glorious overall, but Wilson in particular just destroyed the Cougar defense. As our D did to the Cougar offense..... and Ty Detmer's shoulders

Jimbo would go crazy with Wilson on the team, we would throw like 4 passes a game.

Alpha Texan
AG
my phone hit me with that autocorrect, thanks for pointing that out
newbs
The J-Train. They knew he was coming and they still couldn't stop him.
Alpha Texan
AG
How good was Mcgee really? I know he had some solid statlines in those middle 2 years but a lot of the time he seems to be recalled as a guy who was alright, not great, but just had a lot of fun on the field, a good teammate, and fun to watch. Did he make a lot of big time highlight plays or was he more of a "play decent and don't lose this game for us" quarterback?
agrams
AG
McGee. j train are the obvious.

loved Terrence Murphy, Chad Schroeder, Sammy Davis, Jaxson Appel
jja79
AG
OP the students that watched all the guys you mentioned aren't old Ags yet.

Favorites were Ed Simonini, Garth Ten Napel, Curtis Dickey, George Woodard and Lester Hayes.
spherical
AG
Alpha Texan said:

How good was Mcgee really? I know he had some solid statlines in those middle 2 years but a lot of the time he seems to be recalled as a guy who was alright, not great, but just had a lot of fun on the field, a good teammate, and fun to watch. Did he make a lot of big time highlight plays or was he more of a "play decent and don't lose this game for us" quarterback?

I don't remember a lot of huge highlites (man I can't believe we are talking about McGee like it's ancient history, I'm so old). It was more of play after playing of toughness- finishing the option keeper from 7 yard out, throwing up in the huddle, double lasso... that kind of thing
newbs
Considering that fran optioned him to the weakside of the field constantly, I remember him as a very good qb who made the most out of really bad situations. His fight was elite.
agrams
AG
hard to tell with anyone who played under Fran. Reggie was great but got turned in to an option QB. his deep balls in OU 2002 were beautiful.

McGee was good, but playing out from under fran was tough. his grit and character made him memorable.
spherical
AG
Reggie's breakaway against K-State was also a thingn of beauty. But I remember that sinking feeling that with our D, we needed to run it out instead... Which was absurd since it put us up two scores with 40 some seconds... but those were the Fran years...
agrams
AG
god yes..... 48-47.... I still have nightmares about that damn game... so many missed extra points and field goals...
Alpha Texan
AG
dang, I can't remember ever watching McGee play, just remember his name being called by Dave South on the radio (ya know, back when the ags weren't always on TV), but the fact that all of y'all remember him for his toughness says a lot about his character and drive on the field. Gritty guys who didn't have a lot of flash but got their job done by sheer will weren't exactly Sumlin's prime recruiting targets so we haven't seen many like that in my memory of watching games but I hope we have some in the near future.
WichitaFallsag
Carl Roaches & Tony Franklin (barefooted)-still amazes me.
Aggie521
AG
Tooooombs
Alpha Texan
AG
spherical said:

Reggie's breakaway against K-State was also a thingn of beauty. But I remember that sinking feeling that with our D, we needed to run it out instead... Which was absurd since it put us up two scores with 40 some seconds... but those were the Fran years...
what's the story with this game?
Franz Joseph
Ed Simonini. Rushing the punter.
TXAG 05
AG
Larry Fitzgerald was pretty amazing.
94DallasAG
AG
Leland McElroy as an individual.

The TRUE Wrecking Crew as a whole
LongLurking Ag
Bucky - no one else was even close. Somehow, you would know he would get the ball down the field. When he dropped back to pass, the fans would cover their eyes but once he tucked away the ball and ran, his determination was unstoppable. Against BYU, he ran for a touchdown, threw for a touchdown and caught a touchdown. Curtis Dickey for pure speed was also entertaining. He had several 80 yard TD runs where he would run a power sweep and just out run the defense.

On defense, it was everyone - the group was awesome. Aaron Wallace and John Roper (the blitz brothers were fun to watch. However, the defense was stacked everywhere during that time. Sometimes it was better to have the defense on the field rather than the offense although I think that was more during the RC years rather than when Jackie was there.

I also had to sit in the bleachers several times (my ticket draw always seemed to suck) but to watch Tony Franklin kick field goals in warm ups and the ball would go over the bleachers was also impressive.

I could add many more and especially when Jackie was coaching.

Not when I was a student, but I have never seen anyone as exciting as Johnny Football. (How I wish he had kept his head on straight going to the pros.) He was such a pleasure to watch.

Also, it is a pleasure to talk football instead of Covid or riots.

I MISS SPORTS. It is my escape from reality.
chick79
AG
Bubba Bean and George Woodard on offense
Lester Hayes, Ed Simonini and Garth Ten Napel on defense.
MaroonStain
AG
LEEEELAND!!!!
"Thanks and Gig'em"
aggiebrad94
AG
Leeland, Greg Hill, Coryatt, Kevin Smith
Reno Hightower
Bucky, Bull, Tank, Aaron Wallace, Quentin, Rodney Thomas, Kevin Smith

There was some great football played at Kyle and some great players for the Aggies in the early 90's.
07ag
AG
reggie or j-train
https://ts.la/eric59704
Jarrin' Jay
AG
If you don't like McGee then you are bullcrap!
TxAg76
AG
Dat
EliteZags
AG

action shot of McGee
AggieRob93
AG
Tough one, but all time favorite while in school is a three-headed monster.

Bucky.
Kevin Smith.
Rodney Thomas.
AggieTFA06
AG
Reggie McNeal
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Windy City Ag
AG
Leeland/Rodney/Greg Hill . . . .One of my first games was when Rodney galloped for over 200 yards against LSU. He punished those defenders.

Leeland' return game was insane. That year against Rice he took the first two kick returns back for TDs.

Finally, anyone rushing from the LB spot was fun to watch. Keith Mitchell, Antonio Armstrong, etc. Keith Mitchell's caeer totals are really underappreciated.
dhyde79
AG
Curtis Dickey and George Woodard. Curtis for his nobody-can-run-that-fast speed. George for his bulldozing runs followed by the inevitable "Woo! Woo! Woo!" chants.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.