Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Players were truthful regarding interaction with former student

32,215 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spherical
TxAg2009WC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

TXAggie2011 said:

RetiredpostalMarine said:

"This is essentially a direct play on the "I don't see color" argument. "I don't see color" is not the antithesis of racism. Its just a cop-out way not to talk about race."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Man, MLK was so out of touch. He just wasn't woke enough.

That's a pretty blatant corruption of MLK's "dream" and point. But here's an article explaining why better than I can.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unseen-and-unheard/201508/the-distortion-martin-luther-kings-dream

Major point: He didn't want a world that doesn't acknowledge and embrace diversity. MLK wasn't colorblind and he didn't want you to be colorblind either.

Really, though, everyone would just be better off if they stopped taking old quotes out context.

Are you kidding me?! We should all strive to not see color or judge by the color of one's skin. That is exactly how we move forward and help to rid racism from the world.

But what you are missing here is that these people and the person you are replying to explicitly don't want an egalitarian or racism free world. These are dyed in the wool supremacists. Look at sheila Jackson Lee's statements this week were she speaks of, and I quote, our "original sin." It's an anti-white religion at this point and like the idiots we are have let the wolves into the hen house.
BJC
AG
As a black African-American Former Student, I have neither heard of nor did hear the term, "blaggie", during my time as a Current Student at TAMU and the fact that there are so many of our peer Ags defending this errant Former Student (as well as his backpedalling) is very telling of the progress that we have really made as Aggies. The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present).

To be quite honest, I could care less about the statue of Governor Ross as it was and still is irrelevant to me (statues are not my thing). Despite his saving Texas A&M in the 1890s, which should be duly noted and commended, the truth is that without state Senator Gaines prominently supporting the Morrill Act of 1862 during the 1870s (which eventually created BOTH Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M in 1876), Governor Ross himself would have been bereft of a post-gubernatorial position.

Come to think about it, a black (Republican) TEXAN, who was a politician born into USA slavery, through his diligent efforts during his time of serving our Great State amidst much resistance to enact legislation to establish public higher education institutions in TEXAS, was instrumental in helping to create both jobs for and access to higher education for both current and future generations of TEXANS.

To me, it does not get any more, "monumental" (pun intended, of course), than that, Ags.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

As a black African-American Former Student, I have neither heard of nor did hear the term, "blaggie", during my time as a Current Student at TAMU and the fact that there are so many of our peer Ags defending this errant Former Student (as well as his backpedalling) is very telling of the progress that we have really made as Aggies. The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present).

To be quite honest, I could care less about the statue of Governor Ross as it was and still is irrelevant to me (statues are not my thing). Despite his saving Texas A&M in the 1890s, which should be duly noted and commended, the truth is that without state Senator Gaines prominently supporting the Morrill Act of 1862 during the 1870s (which eventually created BOTH Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M in 1876), Governor Ross himself would have been bereft of a post-gubernatorial position.

Come to think about it, a black (Republican) TEXAN, who was a politician born into USA slavery, through his diligent efforts during his time of serving our Great State amidst much resistance to enact legislation to establish public higher education institutions in TEXAS, was instrumental in helping to create both jobs for and access to higher education for both current and future generations of TEXANS.

To me, it does not get any more, "monumental" (pun intended, of course), than that, Ags.
Roland Martin used #BlAggie in 2016 when posting on twitter. Apparently that term has been around for quite some time. There's a thread in F16 where you can see it.
Greenchiles
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Exactly. The African-American students have a right to express their opinions, but they need to respect opposing view points. By being closed-minded and saying people that disagree with them are ignorant and racist, they are not starting a meaningful dialogue.
What is an "African-American"?

Asking for a friend.
RetiredpostalMarine
You mean Roland "A Black Person can't be a Racist" Martin?
I talk to him when I am lonesome like; and I am sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
BJC
AG
Bald Messiah,

You may do well to read my post (and my signature below) again, during my time as a Current Student in the early-to-mid 1990s (a far cry from 2016) I did not hear the term, "blaggie" being as a reference to Black Aggies...
BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
RetiredpostalMarine said:

You mean Roland "A Black Person can't be a Racist" Martin?
I don't know. Never heard of him before until I saw it in that thread. Apparently his niece and daughter were coming here on an official visit for something and he tweeted various things like #12thMan, #BlAggies, etc.
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

Bald Messiah,

You may do well to read my post (and my signature below) again, during my time as a Current Student in the early-to-mid 1990s (a far cry from 2016) I did not hear the term, "blaggie" being as a reference to Black Aggies...
Brother, I did read your post, which is why I replied. Roland Martin is black. I'm class of '94 and never heard it either. We're in bizarro world.
TxAg2009WC
AG
BJC said:

The fact you interpret what at worst can be considered a clunky phrase someone made up on the spot in to explicitly make an anti-racist argument in the worst negative light possible is revealing of your own racism and a discredit to what type of education aggies receive.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
BJC said:

Someone willing to talk rationally, this is great even if I disagree with some of the content.

I disagree that you can infer an "ugly side" from the former student because of what he said. But setting that aside, what are your thoughts on one of our football players taking off his shirt, getting in someone's face and saying "Say it again and I will slit you, I promise"? That seems like an actual terroristic threat. Or the marchers chanting "F*** the police!" Or one of the leaders in the anti-Sully march calling a pro-Sully black man a "coon"? All these seem like far worse in intentional offensiveness, lack of racial progress, racism.

As far as Gaines, do you have any evidence that he was any more instrumental in establishing A&M than any of his Texas Legislator peers who voted with him?
TxAg2009WC
AG
You already know the answer to that question. "Rules for thee, but not for me."
BJC
AG
We are Aggies, but you are not my brother...
BJC
BJC
AG
As I said before, I could care less about a statue myself, but the facts are longer lasting:

https://studentaffairs.tamu.edu/matthew-gaines-statue/

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/3033717

Do keep in mind that if not for the Morrill Act of 1862 despite it facing much resistance in the 1870s before it passed in TEXAS we would not be Aggies...

BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

That's unfortunate. You assume I'm white?
BJC
AG
Nice deflection, but he could have just said, "Aggie" to make his point more valid. He did not and he embarrassed us Aggies, Texas A&M, and made himself appear to be racist (whether he is or not).

Perception may not always be reality, but optics cannot be overlooked.
BJC
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Disappointed. I thought you might actually address the violent and real racist comments.
BJC
AG
Bald Messiah said:

BJC said:

My younger brother is 43 years old and has two young adult children ages 21 and 19...

BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

Bald Messiah said:

BJC said:

My younger brother is 43 years old and has two young adult children ages 21 and 19...

Nice deflection.
BJC
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Disappointed. I thought you might actually address the violent and real racist comments.
Do not be disappointed, instead I find it telling (and not surprising) your still overlooking the Former Student's emotional verbal gaffe that actually escalated the already present tensions when he could have simply stated his side rationally sans name-calling despite his being pro-Sully.

An utterly missed opportunity by an Old Army Ag to lead by example...
BJC
BJC
AG
Although, "We are the Aggies, the Aggies so true...we're from Texas A-M-U...."

however my two siblings, my older sister (53) and My younger brother (43) are my family...
BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Do not be disappointed, instead I find it telling (and not surprising) your still overlooking the Former Student's emotional verbal gaffe that actually escalated the already present tensions when he could have simply stated his side rationally sans name-calling despite his being pro-Sully.

I find it telling that you want to ignore the distinct possibility that the former student used a term that has been around for more than a few years. Myopic. You, sir, are part of the problem.
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

however my two siblings, my older sister (53) and My younger brother (43) are my family...
It's a yes or no question. Do you assume I'm white?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
BJC said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Ok, you've removed all benefit of the doubt I had that you were open to an honest discussion. Your agenda doesn't allow you to condemn threatening to murder someone, or calling a black man a derogatory name, or yelling expletives to law enforcement, if it contradicts your narrative.
BJC
AG
Bald Messiah said:

BJC said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I find it telling that you want to ignore the distinct possibility that the former student used a term that has been around for more than a few years. Myopic. You, sir, are part of the problem.
If you choose to read and understand my first post again (most likely you will not so I will reiterate as a courtesy to you as a peer Ag), you will find out that during my time as a Current Student, I did not hear the term, "blaggie", nor have I heard of it as a Former Student until the Old Ag's recent verbal gaffe....

As far as Sully goes, I am indifferent....
BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

Bald Messiah said:

BJC said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

If you choose to read and understand my first post again (most likely you will not so I will reiterate as a courtesy to you as a peer Ag), you will find out that during my time as a Current Student, I did not hear the term, "blaggie", nor have I heard of it as a Former Student until the Old Ag's recent verbal gaffe....

As far as Sully goes, I am indifferent....
Don't do me any favors, brother. I read your garbage. I showed you something you choose to ignore. BlAggie wasn't around in my time either.
BJC
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Why would "Blaggie" be offensive?

I do not know the older Aggie personally, but he and I were at A&M about the same time. He was alluding to a term that was in use in those days when women were new to campus: we called them "Maggies."

I knew that's what the older Aggie was referring to in creating the neologism "Blaggie," but I also understand that the athletes there in his face do not have that context and could easily misunderstand it.

Of course, that doesn't excuse Blue Sweatshirt guy for leaning over and saying, "Say that again and I'll slit you."
The Old Ag should have just simply said "Aggie" to get his point across especially when your audience/respondents may not get the context of your words (due to them being being of a much younger generation) hence the bad optics caused by his verbal gaffe.

This why when speaking it pays to, "know your audience"; otherwise, "keeping it real", can go horribly wrong as it did in this case. A grossly missed opportunity on the Old Ag's part to logically articulate his position of being pro-Sully.
BJC
Post removed:
by user
BJC
AG
I don't recall you being my relative.

Despite your getting heated, I ask Politely of you keep it civil as the Aggies are we and leave the name-calling to the sips...
BJC
P.H. Dexippus
AG
BJC said:

BJC
AG
Bald Messiah said:

BJC said:

It's a yes or no question. Do you assume I'm white?
Why would I do that when we both already know that we are not related to each other as siblings?

BJC
BJC
AG
I am speaking of being a relative here, please keep up
BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

I don't recall you being my relative.

Despite your getting heated, I ask Politely of you keep it civil as the Aggies are we and leave the name-calling to the sips...
I am getting a little irritated. I asked you a yes or no question that you won't answer. Why? Is it getting too "real"? Leave it to the sips? You're weak.

I ask again. Do you assume that I am white?
BJC
AG
Your question, which you already know (and have) the answer to, is now redundant...

Since are not my younger brother (as in relative), therefore any assumption about you (which I have not made nor am I going to make) that I would make of who you are here other than being a peer Aggie is unnecessary at this point.
BJC
Bald Messiah
AG
BJC said:

Your question, which you already know (and have) the answer to, is now redundant...

Since are not my younger brother (as in relative), therefore any assumption about you (which I have not made nor am I going to make) that I would make of who you are here other than being a peer Aggie is unnecessary at this point.
You are a *****. You can't even answer a simple question. You came in here with your big words and your history hoping for what? You made assumptions and then hid behind semantics. You're a coward. One last chance, do you assume that I am white?
BJC
AG
If you are not going to tell me yourself who and/or what you are in addition to your are being a an Aggie, why would I assume anything about who and/or what you are if I do not know you personally?

BJC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.