Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Players were truthful regarding interaction with former student

32,170 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spherical
Bald Messiah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BJC said:

If you are not going to tell me yourself who and/or what you are in addition to your are being a an Aggie, why would I assume anything about who and/or what you are if I do not know you personally?

Wow. I'm done with you. You should be embarrassed.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3122238
Rongagin71
AG
I'll appoint myself referee and say that was pretty much a draw except that last post that had an eye opening number of "blaggies" tweeting about themselves in previous years, gave that post an upvote.
TxAg2009WC
AG
BJC said:

Nice deflection, but he could have just said, "Aggie" to make his point more valid. He did not and he embarrassed us Aggies, Texas A&M, and made himself appear to be racist (whether he is or not).

Perception may not always be reality, but optics cannot be overlooked.

Do you know how I know you are talking from a base of pure ignorance? That was literally his point lol. The only people who think a man saying we are more than just our race and brothers are the racists here. Wtf is wrong with you pinkos these days?
BJC
AG
TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

Nice deflection, but he could have just said, "Aggie" to make his point more valid. He did not and he embarrassed us Aggies, Texas A&M, and made himself appear to be racist (whether he is or not).

Do you know how I know you are talking from a base of pure ignorance? That was literally his point lol. The only people who think a man saying we are more than just our race and brothers are the racists here. Wtf is wrong with you pinkos these days?
Name-calling is not becoming of you....

Liberal communist? I am very much far from being that due to my being an unaffiliated voter who votes on individual interests (such as lower property taxes, firearm rights, etc.) as opposed to party lines which is anathema to a staunch political party member.

I could be wrong, but it seems like that it probably troubles you that I am also very much just as much of a Fightin' Texas A&M Aggie as you, but my loyalty is with Texas A&M the institution itself, not some Old Ag who is nothing more than a (much older) Former Student. You can deflect and spin it how you want, but you still have to wonder what in the world was he thinking when he said, "blaggie" (as you would say it), when it had the strongest possibility of phonetically sounding like a racial epithet? Instead he should have said "Aggie" which would have validated his point even more and spared him the subsequent scrutiny that he has brought on all of us due to the bad optics via bad phonetics.

If you do not want to be perceived as a racist, then it would behoove you to not at least sound like one or even come close to that; again, a grossly missed opportunity by an Old Army Ag to show leadership to New Army Ags in a time of crisis.

BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
UrbanDecay
AG
All Texags posters are equal but some are more equal than others.
BJC
AG
haybob15 said:

We need to have a real discussion about Texas Aggie vs. Texas A&M Aggie.
Just like TAMC vs TAMU?
BJC
UrbanDecay
AG
All Texags posters are equal but some are more equal than others.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I am Pro-Sully, and I agree with you. He should have just simply said "Aggie" to get his point across, especially when his audience or respondents might not understand the context of his words. A crucial part of communication is knowing your audience before you speak. Otherwise, trying to speak logically can go horribly wrong.
Eagle78
Even if he said "blackie" that's not necessarily racist. It depends on context and tone. Plus I would add I've heard black folks call caucasians "whitey" innumerable times over my life and no one has ever said that was racist.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Eagle78 said:

Even if he said "blackie" that's not necessarily racist. It depends on context and tone. Plus I would add I've heard black folks call caucasians "whitey" innumerable times over my life and no one has ever said that was racist.
WTF?

Both situations are racist by a white person or a black person. Just because you did not complain or someone else did not complain to you does not make it "okay"
BJC
AG
haybob15 said:

BJC said:

haybob15 said:

Just like TAMC vs TAMU?

Sure. I'll go first. One rhymes and the other doesn't.
haybob15, I will go next:

1. As a black African-American Former Student I cannot in good conscience sing:

"We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we...we're from Texas A-M-C", (rhyme)

because I would have been forbidden to attend the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas due to state law (during Jim Crow).

2. As a black African-American Former Student I am at liberty to sing:

"We are the Aggies, the Aggies so true...we're from Texas A-M-U", (rhyme)

because I voluntarily attended and graduated from Texas A&M University as state law permitted (after Jim Crow).

BJC
Jarrin' Jay
AG
BJC said:

haybob15 said:

BJC said:

haybob15 said:

Just like TAMC vs TAMU?

because I would have been forbidden to attend the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas due to state law (during Jim Crow).

because I voluntarily attended and graduated from Texas A&M University as state law permitted (after Jim Crow).

Totally understandable, though the same would have held for any public U. I am presuming. I prefer AMC but that is just because I'm old school, I would also like us to sing both verses of the War Hymn, which doesn't seem to be a popular opinion sadly given how great the lyrics are.

A general comment, it's 2020, Americans collectively need to drop the vernacular of African-American, unless one was born in Africa and then became an American citizen. It's high time we all identify as Americans, not African / Irish / Italian / British / German / Mexican - American, etc., etc. It would (or could / should) help if people chose not to identify themselves as some kind of separate class. You are an American with a different colored skin than I have as an American. No big deal. I get it that skin color can be used as an identifier, just like hair color, height, weight, etc. but that is different than saying X-American. My 2 pesos.
BJC
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

BJC said:

haybob15 said:

BJC said:

haybob15 said:

Just like TAMC vs TAMU?

Totally understandable, though the same would have held for any public U. I am presuming. I prefer AMC but that is just because I'm old school, I would also like us to sing both verses of the War Hymn, which doesn't seem to be a popular opinion sadly given how great the lyrics are.

A general comment, it's 2020, Americans collectively need to drop the vernacular of African-American, unless one was born in Africa and then became an American citizen. It's high time we all identify as Americans, not African / Irish / Italian / British / German / Mexican - American, etc., etc. It would (or could / should) help if people chose not to identify themselves as some kind of separate class. You are an American with a different colored skin than I have as an American. No big deal. I get it that skin color can be used as an identifier, just like hair color, height, weight, etc. but that is different than saying X-American. My 2 pesos.
Jarrin' Jay,

I am:

1. Race: Black
2. Nationality: United States of America
3. Ethnicity: African-American (defined as descendant of USA slavery on both sides of my family due to unknown nation of origin)
4. State: TEXAN (at least sixth-generation)
6. Collegiate alma mater: Texas A&M University (first-generation)

BJC
Eagle78
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Eagle78 said:

WTF?

Both situations are racist by a white person or a black person. Just because you did not complain or someone else did not complain to you does not make it "okay"
. Think about it then. Under your reasoning just referring to a person as black or as white is racist. It all depends on context and tone as to whether the description is racist or not. It may well be racist but not necessarily so.
gocobra
AG
When i first see the older Ag ask, " are you an Aggie or are you a Blaggie?" i really cringed. I was like WHAT? Something i was thinking I would never ask.

..... Then i read on and see all the comments and actual twitter postings of Blacks calling themselves Blaggies. Again I was like WHAT? I've never heard that term used before. and what does it mean to be a Blaggie anyway?

So re-watching the interaction at the Sully statue I now see that the old Ag was actually very informed and asked a very valid question. A question I would like to hear the protesters answer.

Are you an Aggie first or is your allegiance to something else that maybe precludes embracing the values of an Aggie?
soto11
AG
I do not understand all the criticism of Mr. Leroy when the athletes used purposefully intimidating physical posturing of an elderly man. No way he did not feel threatened.

Their captured dialogue. From political board.

Ke'Shun Brown: Say it again I will slit you, I promise.

Infinite Tucker: **** all these pennies. Good luck to my dick.

And all y'all can complain about is "blaggies."

BJC
AG
soto11 said:

I do not understand all the criticism of Mr. Leroy when the athletes used purposefully intimidating physical posturing of an elderly man. No way he did not feel threatened.

soto11,

It may behoove you to make an effort to both read and understand the previous posts on this thread to understand why the complaints about the Old Ag's errant remarks (and the potential adverse effect and/or consequences on our collegiate alma mater) are being made.
BJC
spherical
AG
soto11 said:

Ok but you are aware of the order of the dialog?

I can extend him grace for being a crappy communicator. I can also extend grace to the young men for being pissed. Would it have been better if they walked right away? Yea: but let's be thankful nothing worse happened. At the end of the day it fizzled and that was thanks to some calmer and more mature heads on the protestors side.
sotexag79
AG
Grace for saying "I will slit you" to a person 3 times your age? Or essentially saying fu to a person 3 times your age trying to have constructive dialogue. The elderly man was very calm in his presentation and demeanor. Give me a break.

These guys acted like thugs. The constant "excusing " of these entitled athletes is making matters worse. They should be held accountable for their actions.
sotexag79
AG
Yes I m aware of the order of the dialogue
TxAg2009WC
AG
BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

Liberal communist? I am very much far from being that due to my being an unaffiliated voter who votes on individual interests (such as lower property taxes, firearm rights, etc.) as opposed to party lines which is anathema to a staunch political party member.

I could be wrong, but it seems like that it probably troubles you that I am also very much just as much of a Fightin' Texas A&M Aggie as you, but my loyalty is with Texas A&M the institution itself, not some Old Ag who is nothing more than a (much older) Former Student. You can deflect and spin it how you want, but you still have to wonder what in the world was he thinking when he said, "blaggie" (as you would say it), when it had the strongest possibility of phonetically sounding like a racial epithet? Instead he should have said "Aggie" which would have validated his point even more and spared him the subsequent scrutiny that he has brought on all of us due to the bad optics via bad phonetics.

If you do not want to be perceived as a racist, then it would behoove you to not at least sound like one or even come close to that; again, a grossly missed opportunity by an Old Army Ag to show leadership to New Army Ags in a time of crisis.

That is literally the point he was making. Do us all a favor and actually watch the whole video before you rant ad nauseam justifying your defense of a player telling another aggie he is going to stab him, simply because you care more about the player due to your own racism.

You are literally just a racist defending another racist.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Eagle78 said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Eagle78 said:

WTF?

. Think about it then. Under your reasoning just referring to a person as black or as white is racist. It all depends on context and tone as to whether the description is racist or not. It may well be racist but not necessarily so.
So you think calling someone Blackie or Whitey is the same as calling someone Black or White? Either you are only being a troll or you are a dumbass
sportsfreak1975
Dear lord.... Can we put an end to this thread please???
spherical
AG
sotexag79 said:

Grace for saying "I will slit you" to a person 3 times your age? Or essentially saying fu to a person 3 times your age trying to have constructive dialogue. The elderly man was very calm in his presentation and demeanor. Give me a break.

These guys acted like thugs. The constant "excusing " of these entitled athletes is making matters worse. They should be held accountable for their actions.

Well... there isn't really a need for grace if they didn't do anything wrong is there?. And I never said they shouldn't be held accountable... I am however willing to wait before I flip out that "nothings being done"

Yes; the elderly man was very calm while insulting them. Good for him. You can see in the video they were conversing quite calmly until he interrupted with that. If you can't be honest enough to see fault on both sides I don't know what to tell you.
strbrst777
BJC
AG
TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

That is literally the point he was making. Do us all a favor and actually watch the whole video before you rant ad nauseam justifying your defense of a player telling another aggie he is going to stab him, simply because you care more about the player due to your own racism.

TxAg2012WC you may want to put the race card down, as I have never said nor will I say that the Old Ag, despite his verbal gaffe, is a racist. For your information I did watch the whole video several times and I heard both the Old Ag try to make his point and the Young Ags try to make their point as well. Simply put, despite the tensions all the Old Ag could have said to the Young Ags, was,

"Are you an Aggie?"

...and left it at that. His well-intentioned but bungled attempt to add on extras to emphasize the point by saying a term that was too ambiguous to be interpreted as non-racial due to the phonetics and optics did himself, his cause, and the perception of our collegiate alma mater absolutely no favors. Again, a grossly missed opportunity to be a leader by example on the Old Ag's part.

Much to your dismay, I, as a black African-American Former Student, have never defended nor condoned bigotry, violence against anyone, nor foolishness of any kind and, to be honest, I will not start now just because my responses to this easily avoidable controversy do not fit your narrative of wanting to cast in a negative light the Current Students protesting there exercising their First Amendment to protest as well as the Former Students there exercising their First Amendment rights to defend Governor Ross' statue. On a side note, I could care less about statues...

Despite the rising tensions there, no violence from either side occurred so to me it was nothing more than a heated exchange of words from opposing sides of a controversial issue amongst our peer Aggies. My loyalty is to the betterment of our collegiate alma mater and sometimes dialogue (no matter how uncomfortable) has to take place for progress to happen. It happened when Senator Gaines helped support the Morrill Act of 1862 in the 1870s, when Governor Ross had to step in and save the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas in the 1890s, and when General Rudder had to step in and transform the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas into Texas A&M University in the 1960s...

Make no mistake, we are the beneficiaries of progress and now we have a chance to lead from the front for future generations of Aggies despite our differences.

BJC
Trident 88
AG
BJC, that was an excellent close.

You hit the mark, and I think you've earned the right to call it a day and spend your 3-day weekend (?) on more useful (and entertaining) pursuits.
BrotherChad
AG
No one should ever apologize or offer a millimeter of concessions for the use of "blackie"/"blaggie". So stop
SA-AG72
AG
Let's end this thread with BJC's response.

nntr
TxAg2009WC
AG
BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

TxAg2012WC you may want to put the race card down, as I have never said nor will I say that the Old Ag, despite his verbal gaffe, is a racist. For your information I did watch the whole video several times and I heard both the Old Ag try to make his point and the Young Ags try to make their point as well. Simply put, despite the tensions all the Old Ag could have said to the Young Ags, was,

"Are you an Aggie?"

...and left it at that. His well-intentioned but bungled attempt to add on extras to emphasize the point by saying a term that was too ambiguous to be interpreted as non-racial due to the phonetics and optics did himself, his cause, and the perception of our collegiate alma mater absolutely no favors. Again, a grossly missed opportunity to be a leader by example on the Old Ag's part.

Much to your dismay, I, as a black African-American Former Student, have never defended nor condoned bigotry, violence against anyone, nor foolishness of any kind and, to be honest, I will not start now just because my responses to this easily avoidable controversy do not fit your narrative of wanting to cast in a negative light the Current Students protesting there exercising their First Amendment to protest as well as the Former Students there exercising their First Amendment rights to defend Governor Ross' statue. On a side note, I could care less about statues...

Despite the rising tensions there, no violence from either side occurred so to me it was nothing more than a heated exchange of words from opposing sides of a controversial issue amongst our peer Aggies. My loyalty is to the betterment of our collegiate alma mater and sometimes dialogue (no matter how uncomfortable) has to take place for progress to happen. It happened when Senator Gaines helped support the Morrill Act of 1862 in the 1870s, when Governor Ross had to step in and save the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas in the 1890s, and when General Rudder had to step in and transform the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas into Texas A&M University in the 1960s...

Make no mistake, we are the beneficiaries of progress and now we have a chance to lead from the front for future generations of Aggies despite our differences.

Except you did call him a racist. These are your words on page 4:

"As a black African-American Former Student, I have neither heard of nor did hear the term, "blaggie", during my time as a Current Student at TAMU and the fact that there are so many of our peer Ags defending this errant Former Student (as well as his backpedalling) is very telling of the progress that we have really made as Aggies. The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present)."

Hmmmmm. I admire your attempts to obfuscate the truth, but unfortunately for you, you didn't edit your previous posts.

You can parrot words about not condoning bigotry, but alas, it rings hollow when you are actively practicing that very act. You call a man racist for explicitly trying to say we are all equal, while praising another man for threatening to stab a pensioner. The only reason? The color of their skin. People are wising up to these tricks hombre.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
It also rings hollow when said poster won't condemn threats of throat slitting, "coon" or "f- the police".
BJC
AG
TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

TxAg2012WC said:

BJC said:

"Are you an Aggie?"

Except you did call him a racist. These are your words on page 4:

"As a black African-American Former Student, I have neither heard of nor did hear the term, "blaggie", during my time as a Current Student at TAMU and the fact that there are so many of our peer Ags defending this errant Former Student (as well as his backpedalling) is very telling of the progress that we have really made as Aggies. The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present)."

Hmmmmm. I admire your attempts to obfuscate the truth, but unfortunately for you, you didn't edit your previous posts.

You can parrot words about not condoning bigotry, but alas, it rings hollow when you are actively practicing that very act. You call a man racist for explicitly trying to say we are all equal, while praising another man for threatening to stab a pensioner. The only reason? The color of their skin. People are wising up to these tricks hombre.

TXAg2012WC wishing for past days of the AMCT does not make an individual Aggie a racist; it just at the very least makes him nostalgic, as to a time where you do not have to be as verbally discerning as you have to be currently at TAMU. Again, I never ever drew any card from the deck regarding this Old Ag and I would advise you to do the same regarding the Young Ags. It was just mutual dialogue of opposing sides of an issue amongst Aggies, nothing more.

As to the Old Ag in question, I have never said implicitly nor explicitly that he is actually a racist but I can definitely say that he is at the very least inarticulate and because of that he unwittingly escalated the already palpable tensions to a critical level when he could have calmly discussed the issue with the Young Ags sans the using of "endearing" terms. Just being an Aggie alone should have been enough to relate to each other despite their being different generations of Ags old and young alike there.

Thankfully cooler heads ultimately prevailed on both sides of the issue before any potential further harm could come to all involved and by extension, our collegiate alma mater.
BJC
Eagle78
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Eagle78 said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Eagle78 said:

WTF?

So you think calling someone Blackie or Whitey is the same as calling someone Black or White? Either you are only being a troll or you are a dumbass
. How black and white you are in your thinking. Must be very easy going through life with such a simplistic perspective on things. Edit: Let me add this. When people use those words it is probable that the expression is racist. But there is a difference between probable and definitive. To know if it is definitively a racist expression you again have to know context and tone. Racist expression is a matter of intent. It turns on state of mind. You try to make it simpler than it really is. Perhaps because you've been influenced by concepts of political correctness.
TxAg2009WC
AG
"The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present)."

Seriously. Those are your words. So the question is are you a liar, a ******, or racist? Because you are straight up lying to everyone on here. Keep hiding behind your faux civility, but those actually paying attention see through your incredibly thin veneer.

In your last comment you talk about "cooler heads." Are those cooler heads the player that literally threatened to stab an old man? Why is the old bro a racist but the player wanting to stab an old guy a cooler head? You're strangely critical of a clunky anti racist phrasing, but cool with a black man wanting to kill an old dude. Seriously, no words of criticism of a direct threat of violence from you yet. Condem it and admit you were wrong. Amything else shows youre nothing but an f-ing racist. It may appear to be hyperbole, but it's the literal truth. You think people are idiots. The jig is up hombre, we are waking up.

Edit: and apparently as its censored here, the starred word is a word for stupid that starts with r. I'd hate for you to take the worst potential interpretation and call me a racist like you did to that old man.
BJC
AG
TxAg2012WC said:

"The errant Former Student was trying to be cute but his verbal error made him reveal his true ugly side and an utter embarrassment to our alma mater. I would not be surprised that he still wishes for the past days of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (1876-1963) instead of enjoying the current progress made by Texas A&M University (1963-present)."

Seriously. Those are your words. So the question is are you a liar, a ******, or racist? Because you are straight up lying to everyone on here. Keep hiding behind your faux civility, but those actually paying attention see through your incredibly thin veneer.

In your last comment you talk about "cooler heads." Are those cooler heads the player that literally threatened to stab an old man? Why is the old bro a racist but the player wanting to stab an old guy a cooler head? You're strangely critical of a clunky anti racist phrasing, but cool with a black man wanting to kill an old dude. Seriously, no words of criticism of a direct threat of violence from you yet. Condem it and admit you were wrong. Amything else shows youre nothing but an f-ing racist. It may appear to be hyperbole, but it's the literal truth. You think people are idiots. The jig is up hombre, we are waking up.

Edit: and apparently as its censored here, the starred word is a word for stupid that starts with r. I'd hate for you to take the worst potential interpretation and call me a racist like you did to that old man.
TxAg2012WC,

Although I do appreciate our dialogue here as peer Aggies respectfully chatting and logically exchanging varied viewpoints, all good things must come to an end. At this point it is plain to see that there is nothing more for me to say on this topic regarding Governor Ross' statue in this thread, as the statue itself was irrelevant to me back then I was a Current Student and is just as irrelevant to me currently as a Former Student. Whether is stands or is taken down, I could care less as it does not affect me as an Aggie nor as an individual.

Life does go on, therefore I say to you peer Ag,

Gig 'em, and beat the hell outta the SEC! (Fate willing amidst the pandemic and the recent sanctions)
BJC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.