Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Players were truthful regarding interaction with former student

32,176 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spherical
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So if the player would have said to "Leroy", so are you Aggies or Whities you would not have had any problem with the comment?
85AustinAg
AG
Blaggie... give me a freaking break. The old guys were more embarrassing to me than the football players. Peaceful protest ends with old guy making an ass of himself.
TxAg76
AG
In the longer video from Travis Brown, for the first time (as compared to other clips), I did hear him clearly say whitey (In addition to Aggie and black/blaggie) as part of the conversation.

Still was a piss poor choice of words, but his point is still valid.
The players didn't bow up until like the 3rd time he said it. Which means they didn't hear the previous times, and damn sure didn't hear anything else.
NSTN8
Smh... i stand corrected. That was terrible. Completely uncalled for. If you don't want the world to think Aggies are racist, don't say racist things. Good lord. Why? If not for the audio I would have never believed he said that. Why? Maybe I am delusional in thinking people don't say these kinds of things. I'm done with all of this. I don't know what to make of things any more. I just want everyone to be nice to each other..:.
TexAggie1999
The former student was just saying that we are Aggies. We shouldn't view ourselves as black or white. We should view ourselves as Aggies. He said "You are not a Blackie, You are not a Whitie."

He probably shouldn't have used the terms blackie and whitie because we live in a super-sensitive world where idiot people (like many on this thread) are going to be offended. He CLEARLY didn't mean any offense or racism. He was just making a point that you shouldn't define yourself by your skin color.

The most racist thing said was the athlete telling him that "You are white before anything else." That is BS. That is racist. The athlete may want to define people by their skin color, but most of us do not. Most of us (though I'm starting to feel many black people don't feel this way) don't care about a person's skin color. It really isn't important.

RetiredpostalMarine
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

So if the player would have said to "Leroy", so are you Aggies or Whities you would not have had any problem with the comment?

No. I don't let words control me. You can call me honkey, cracker, whitey, Or fat ass and I am just going to smile . Those words don't mean anything to me. They have no effect on me.
I talk to him when I am lonesome like; and I am sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Are people seriously defending this old son of a ***** as if "blaggie" was not intended to be an offensive term? It's totally okay because he said "black Aggie" instead of blackie?
technoviking
AG
RetiredpostalMarine said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

No. I don't let words control me. You can call me honkey, cracker, whitey, Or fat ass and I am just going to smile . Those words don't mean anything to me. They have no effect on me.

That's great, does that mean that words don't matter to other people?
Brazos Born
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I get called worse than that every day. Sometimes hourly.
TexAggie1999
NSTN8 said:

Smh... i stand corrected. That was terrible. Completely uncalled for. If you don't want the world to think Aggies are racist, don't say racist things. Good lord. Why? If not for the audio I would have never believed he said that. Why? Maybe I am delusional in thinking people don't say these kinds of things. I'm done with all of this. I don't know what to make of things any more. I just want everyone to be nice to each other..:.
Seriously, saying "You aren't a blackie or a whitie" is THAT horrible. You seriously watched that video and thought he was a racist?

If so, you have no ability to comprehend people. His intentions were extremely clear. Poor choice of words (more-so because our ridiculously sensitive society than anything else), but it was ABUNDANTLY clear to anyone with half a brain that his point was the exact opposite of being racist. He is saying we are NOT black or white. We are Aggies. That is the OPPOSITE of racism. You seriously think adding the "ie" sound to the end of those words takes a message that is absolutely the opposite of racism and makes it a horrible racist comment?

Get a clue.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Brazos Born said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I get called worse than that every day. Sometimes hourly.

Sounds like you are the boss

Does not sound so great when someone is your boss saying it to you or in a position of authority saying it to you.
greg.w.h
AG
brs4688 said:

What if both sides are wrong??
What if one side could resolve the problem through empathy and compassion and more accurate history? Should the other side acknowledge that?
Brazos Born
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Sounds like you are the boss

Does not sound so great when someone is your boss saying it to you or in a position of authority saying it to you.
Not the boss.
sotexag79
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Are people seriously defending this old son of a ***** as if "blaggie" was not intended to be an offensive term? It's totally okay because he said "black Aggie" instead of blackie?
Another old son of a ***** here. He was trying to make an anti-racist point about us all being Aggies and unity. Awkward presentation perhaps (many of old farts have this issue when communicating with the sensitive younger generation), his message was sincere. But, as on this board most won't listen to the true intent.

Another complaint. If the protesters are going to take off their shirts and stick out their breasts there should be gender equality.
ancientag67
sotexag79 said:

Another old son of a ***** here. He was trying to make an anti-racist point about us all being Aggies and unity. Awkward presentation perhaps (many of old farts have this issue when communicating with the sensitive younger generation), his message was sincere. But, as on this board most won't listen to the true intent.

Another complaint. If the protesters are going to take off their shirts and stick out their breasts there should be gender equality.

I don't know, there might be more "old son of a *****es" showing up than protesters if that happens.
Clown_World
The players were marching alongside a young lady who used a racial slur toward a pro-Sully African American not two weeks before that. And she actually intended to use the word as a slur...unlike the gentleman in the video who is guilty of doing a poor job trying to make a good point.

Goes to show the only racial slurs that really "matter" are the ones coming from people in favor of keeping Sully. And if they aren't really racial slurs, then it becomes time to selectively edit the video and put phony notes on car windows.
CNN is the enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
greg.w.h said:

brs4688 said:

What if both sides are wrong??
What if one side could resolve the problem through empathy and compassion and more accurate history? Should the other side acknowledge that?

I was referencing the terms used and the physical intimidation rather than re-writing history. No where in the OP did the author mention the any of what you mentioned. Neither did I mention it.
RetiredpostalMarine
"That's great, does that mean that words don't matter to other people?"

That's the problem. They shouldn't.
I talk to him when I am lonesome like; and I am sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
PatAg
AG

I mean, its clear he didn't mean it as an offense term, are you serious?

It's also obvious it was a very stupid way to try to make his point, since its a word that would easily sound like something else and be taken in a way he didn't intend.

Don't be delibirately obtuse.
UrbanDecay
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I just tried to think of all the words that would cause me to rip off my shirt and try to fight a peaceful senior citizen. Came up with nothing.

No love for the All-Talk All-Stars who achieve nothing on the field and have to search out peaceful senior citizens in order to feel tough.
TXAggie2011
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Exactly. The African-American students have a right to express their opinions, but they need to respect opposing view points. By being closed-minded and saying people that disagree with them are ignorant and racist, they are not starting a meaningful dialogue.
Give me a ****ing break. A large number of people on this board have told the players to "shut up and play ball", called them ignorant idiots, and more.

The "other side" has never been open-minded. They're just as convinced they're clearly right and dismissive of other viewpoints as anyone
TheAngelFlight
If I'm hearing the video right, Mr. Leroy made that comment directly in response to an athlete/study saying "...so, you'd want to feel equal if you had another statue of a black person. So why isn't it the same the other way around."

For those defending the comment, can someone tell me why the above comment isn't "Aggie", but rather something else?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
PatAg said:

It's also obvious it was a very stupid way to try to make his point, since its a word that would easily sound like something else and be taken in a way he didn't intend.

Is there a video, other than the one in the OP that I missed? I'm sincerely asking, seems there's some additional context out there that is not evident in the OP's video. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Edit: I missed the second video posted - I won't edit/delete my first post because I deserve to be called out for being wrong. I think it's pretty clear the point he was attempting to make was in good faith, but his word choice was rather poor. Not much harm and obviously no intended harm on his part.
RetiredpostalMarine
"This is essentially a direct play on the "I don't see color" argument. "I don't see color" is not the antithesis of racism. Its just a cop-out way not to talk about race."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Man, MLK was so out of touch. He just wasn't woke enough.

Woke247
AG
Why does it matter which version of the word he said they both are offensive. Also that calm situation could have turned into something much bigger than what most are complaining about. Give them the credit they deserve they were calm and levelheaded, expressed their emotions the best way they could in the moment, and tried to talk out their differences. At this young age they are very mature and we're lucky to have them representing this university.
PatAg
AG

PatAg said:

Is there a video, other than the one in the OP that I missed? I'm sincerely asking, seems there's some additional context out there that is not evident in the OP's video. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Edit: I missed the second video posted - I won't edit/delete my first post because I deserve to be called out for being wrong. I think it's pretty clear the point he was attempting to make was in good faith, but his word choice was rather poor. Not much harm and obviously no intended harm on his part.
He definitely should have practiced some counter-arguments on someone before going to the statue.
"Hey, Bill, tell me what you think of this "are you a blaggie or an Aggie?"

FCBlitz
Still don't care. Sully stays.
cevans_40
AG
Woke247 said:

Why does it matter which version of the word he said they both are offensive. Also that calm situation could have turned into something much bigger than what most are complaining about. Give them the credit they deserve they were calm and levelheaded, expressed their emotions the best way they could in the moment, and tried to talk out their differences. At this young age they are very mature and we're lucky to have them representing this university.

You want to give them a medal for not fighting someone over the word blackie?
jeremyd
AG
So they are supposedly greatly offended by the term "blackie" but I'm willing to bet they call each other the N-word or variations of it all the time. Spare me the false sense of outrage.
cevans_40
AG
jeremyd said:

So they are supposedly greatly offended by the term "blackie" but I'm willing to bet they call each other the N-word or variations of it all the time. Spare me the false sense of outrage.

No way!! They never say that!!
aggiefabulous
UrbanDecay
AG
Hawk2007
Our team can intimidate 70 year old former students, but definitely not LSU, Bama, or Auburn.
TXAggie2011
AG
RetiredpostalMarine said:

"This is essentially a direct play on the "I don't see color" argument. "I don't see color" is not the antithesis of racism. Its just a cop-out way not to talk about race."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Man, MLK was so out of touch. He just wasn't woke enough.

That's a pretty blatant corruption of MLK's "dream" and point. But here's an article explaining why better than I can.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unseen-and-unheard/201508/the-distortion-martin-luther-kings-dream

Major point: He didn't want a world that doesn't acknowledge and embrace diversity. MLK wasn't colorblind and he didn't want you to be colorblind either.

Really, though, everyone would just be better off if they stopped taking old quotes out context.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.