Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bucky Richardson

14,763 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Allen76
bulverdeaggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
went and looked up webster's definition of "Quarterback"... "one who directs and leads". That was Bucky.. while watch Mond on the field and on the sideline, not even close.
Reno Hightower
W said:

Mond started the 2017 game vs. Auburn.

he has 12 losses as a starter. Not sure A&M has ever had a 15+ game loser as a starter.

normally a QB doesn't get a chance to start and lose that many games

If A&M actually plays Auburn, Bama and LSU this season it's highly likely Mond gets to 15 career losses.
94chem
Reno Hightower said:

Bucky never looked like a 'deer in headlights'.

Once he did. The '92 Cotton Bowl. Maybe it was just more of a hopeless look than a confused one.
samhoustonag
Mac94 said:

Mond is much more of an athlete than Bucky was. He's also a much better passer. That said, Bucky had an attitude to will his team to win. That was Bucky's main strength, besides being tough as nails, he was just a fiery competitor.

Of course, our offensive system was so much different it's also hard to compare. We were so much more run first and rely on the defense back in Bucky's day. Offenses are much more wide open now.

The greatest compliment for him, though, is that he was picked up and lasted on an NFL roster for multiple seasons. We'll see if Mond can do that.
In exactly what way is Mond much more of an athlete?

If Bucky had never attempted to throw a pass more than ten yards, he would have had a nice completion percentage too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
94chem said:

Reno Hightower said:

Once he did. The '92 Cotton Bowl. Maybe it was just more of a hopeless look than a confused one.
His numbers weren't great in that game, but to me, it's far easier to pin the blame on that loss on all those turnovers. The infamous Greg Hill run to the end zone where the FSU defender caught him at about the 1 and popped the ball out. Another where A&M picked off a pass and had a clear path to the end zone but our guy stepped out of bounds.

That was a damn good FSU team that had gone into Ann Arbor and waylayed the Wolverines. The #1 total defense Wrecking Crew made life difficult for them, even accounting for all of our 2 points in that game.
Mac94
AG
The wound that is the 1992 Cotton Bowl. We were the better team ... I am convinced and always will be. But, it wasn't to be.

3:50 and 4:14 marks .... so close .... soooooooooooo damn close.
W
AG
Mond will have a chance to achieve a dubious honor...twice.

he could be the first A&M QB to ever go 0-4 vs. the same team.

currently 0-3 vs. Auburn and 0-3 vs. Alabama
94chem
Mac94 said:

The wound that is the 1992 Cotton Bowl. We were the better team ... I am convinced and always will be. But, it wasn't to be.

3:50 and 4:14 marks .... so close .... soooooooooooo damn close.

That 1991 team may have been the best squad since 1939. 2012, 1975, and 1956 are in the running, but I never saw the latter two.
fightinag
Thomas Sowell, PhD said:

During his Texas A&M career, Richardson rushed for 2,095 yards, a conference record for QBs. He played in three bowl games with the Aggies and led them to two SWC Championships. He finished his Aggie career 24-6-1 as a starter.

Oh how I wish we had Bucky.
We still have a Bucky......it just begins with an F
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
SolidRockAg
Reno Hightower said:

Bucky was the Mack truck behind the headlights...he didn't slow down or swerve
tdog7ag
Bucky's leadership >>>>>>>>>>Mond
aggiejim70
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Greatest player to ever play for the AGS from Louisiana.

Bucky was the first coming of JFF just a lot bigger.
I dunno, there was this guy named John David Crow '58.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
aggiejim70 said:

PLUM LOCO said:

I dunno, there was this guy named John David Crow '58.

You can't make that comparison, the game was too different. Crow averaged 80 yards rushing per game and score 11 touchdowns in 7 games. Those are who cares numbers from 1970 on. The interceptions were a lot more impressive in that era.
aggiejim70
AG
W said:

Mond started the 2017 game vs. Auburn.

he has 12 losses as a starter. Not sure A&M has ever had a 15+ game loser as a starter.

normally a QB doesn't get a chance to start and lose that many games
It's close.....I don't think Edd Harget started all the games in '66. I think he game off the bench to beat tech. He was on the team for 16 losses.................errrrrrrrrrrrrrr getting outscored.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
OldArmy71
AG
Bucky also did not start the 1987 tu game. He entered in relief of Craig Stump, who had been injured on the final drive.
greg.w.h
AG
How far back do you have to go to find 15 equivalent losses? The SEC is a line of scrimmage conference as even Bielma's Hogs were able to show. We beat them consistently without a pro-style offense and depending on a spread o-line. But the closest comparison in the SWC probably is when Rice, Baylor, Arkansas, and Texas were all regularly ranked and SMU was early or roughly the 40s to early 60s.

After that it was primarily Texas, Arkansas, and occasionally A&M as top teams until Houston joined. Then more of mish-mash as the conference declined.

I am not happy with the conference losses. But the conference is physical, athletic, quick, and frankly brutal. Not NFL good. But as good or better than the rest. So emphasizing Mond's losses really emphasizes the combination of inadequacy of recruiting (both Sumlin and Fisher generally recruited at best fifth or lower in conference if not also in division) and coaching (Sumlin built an effective coaching approach for 2012...and we saw mere glimmers after that with zero other breakout seasons in either tenure through now.)

The thing I'll note is we still are recruiting dependent and athleticism and depth constrained even with supposedly much improved facilities. That suggests either we must improve recruiting further or player development has to exceed what our competitors accomplish.

Sumlin sold culture but not as much process and we saw a gradual decline in both recruiting and development. Fisher sold process as culture and we have seen gradual improvement without a breakout winning season and only an LSU win to distinguish an otherwise disappointing season and not a whole lot else. I think Fisher can turn the corner though. Sumlin got his chance. It was time imho.

Mond is a quarterback that appears-until we see Fisher make a change-to be the best choice for this season. He likely will improve and hopefully has better targets and gets more coaching on mechanics, footwork, and crispness of reading defense and progression. If that happens a 10-win season becomes reachable assuming general improvement in all three phases like we saw last year.
samhoustonag
OldArmy71 said:

Bucky also did not start the 1987 tu game. He entered in relief of Craig Stump, who had been injured on the final drive.
He did not start the game, but he sure as heck finished it.

What a great cut back.
samhoustonag
greg.w.h said:

How far back do you have to go to find 15 equivalent losses? The SEC is a line of scrimmage conference as even Bielma's Hogs were able to show. We beat them consistently without a pro-style offense and depending on a spread o-line. But the closest comparison in the SWC probably is when Rice, Baylor, Arkansas, and Texas were all regularly ranked and SMU was early or roughly the 40s to early 60s.

After that it was primarily Texas, Arkansas, and occasionally A&M as top teams until Houston joined. Then more of mish-mash as the conference declined.

I am not happy with the conference losses. But the conference is physical, athletic, quick, and frankly brutal. Not NFL good. But as good or better than the rest. So emphasizing Mond's losses really emphasizes the combination of inadequacy of recruiting (both Sumlin and Fisher generally recruited at best fifth or lower in conference if not also in division) and coaching (Sumlin built an effective coaching approach for 2012...and we saw mere glimmers after that with zero other breakout seasons in either tenure through now.)

The thing I'll note is we still are recruiting dependent and athleticism and depth constrained even with supposedly much improved facilities. That suggests either we must improve recruiting further or player development has to exceed what our competitors accomplish.

Sumlin sold culture but not as much process and we saw a gradual decline in both recruiting and development. Fisher sold process as culture and we have seen gradual improvement without a breakout winning season and only an LSU win to distinguish an otherwise disappointing season and not a whole lot else. I think Fisher can turn the corner though. Sumlin got his chance. It was time imho.

Mond is a quarterback that appears-until we see Fisher make a change-to be the best choice for this season. He likely will improve and hopefully has better targets and gets more coaching on mechanics, footwork, and crispness of reading defense and progression. If that happens a 10-win season becomes reachable assuming general improvement in all three phases like we saw last year.
In three years, Mond has shown no improvement toward a quicker release, faster progressions, reading the pressure or downfield accuracy.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect any improvements in year four.
OldArmy71
AG
Oh, I agree.

I was there, in fact, sitting in section 101 as I recall, so I had a great view of it. (I couldn't see the REST of the game, but I did get a great view of that play!)

The unfortunate thing is that if Stump--who had a lot of guts and did many good things for the Aggies over the years--had not been injured, Bucky would not have played and we probably would not have won. Stump had not had a good game but he had been fairly effective as a passer in the Arkansas game that the Aggies won 14-0, I believe, scoring just one offensive touchdown. (He entered in relief of Bucky, who had started.) Sherrill was VERY loyal to him and even hugged him at the end of that Arkansas game, a bit like the Bear did with Stallings.

Bucky just completely took over the game with his threat to run.
aggiejim70
AG
I'm not sure we have valid points of disagreement. More like valid points for discussion. I agree, it's almost impossible to compare eras. In Crow's day, players went both ways. freshmen didn't play on the varsity, there was only a ten game season, and the social norms of the day meant some of the best players were never given a chance to compete. However, Crow won the Heisman Trophy, as the best player in the country. As much as I admired Bucky, I doubt he was ever under serious consideration for the award. Also, Crow led his team to a number 1 national ranking before we spazzed at the end of the '57 season.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
W
AG
unfortunately I think Jerrod may hold the school record for L's by a starting QB.

he started every game in 2009...when A&M lost 7. Then he started the 3 regular season losses in 2010 before being replaced by Tannehill. And I believe he started every game after New Mexico in the 2008 season.

which puts him at 16 or 17 career losses
W
AG
OldArmy71 said:

yes, the QB record can be a little deceptive.

technically Reggie's career W-L record does not include the 2002 win against #1 OU.

I think Dustin Long actually started the game
W
AG
speaking of Reggie...his QB loss record is probably around 17 or so too.

started and lost 5 games in 2005 and another 5 in 2004. Started most of the dreadful 2003 season (4-8)
W
AG
another difference between Bucky and Mond...

Mond has thrown to 2 NFL guys...Sternberger and Christian Kirk.

I don't think A&M had an NFL WR or TE from Bernstine's last year (1986) to Connell's first year (1995).

(there might have been someone who had a cup of coffee)
Bryanisbest
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

TAMU74 said:

PLUM LOCO said:

Let's not forget John David Crow. He was a Louisiana boy that did pretty well too.
But I agree, Bucky is one of the greatest players ever to play at A&M from Louisiana.

Naturally I forgot JDC was from Marion, LA.

Crow was from Springhill, La
74AnimalA
AG
TAMU74 said:

PLUM LOCO said:

Let's not forget John David Crow. He was a Louisiana boy that did pretty well too.
But I agree, Bucky is one of the greatest players ever to play at A&M from Louisiana.

Youngsters. What about David Walker from Sulphur. Hell of a QB under Bellard.
Allen76
AG
Mac94 said:

Mond is much more of an athlete than Bucky was. He's also a much better passer. That said, Bucky had an attitude to will his team to win. That was Bucky's main strength, besides being tough as nails, he was just a fiery competitor.

Of course, our offensive system was so much different it's also hard to compare. We were so much more run first and rely on the defense back in Bucky's day. Offenses are much more wide open now.

The greatest compliment for him, though, is that he was picked up and lasted on an NFL roster for multiple seasons. We'll see if Mond can do that.
Yep, I feel like the NFL was not ready for a QB like him. I dont think he got a fair chance to play once Chandler got hurt. NFL was really into the straight dropback passer with very few exceptions. Whenever Bucky got a chance, it wasnt much of one and he did well most of the time.

I remember him (in the NFL) rolling left, and somebody grabbed his right arm or hand and he attempted to pass with his left hand!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.