Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Baylor Cupp

12,881 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TEXAS FINEST
merch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any news on how he has recovered from his injury? Was looking forward to watching him last year as a freshman.
Raptor
AG
Expected to contribute and get a lot of looks from Mond.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Law Hall 69-72
AG
Raptor said:

Darn, I was hoping he might see some passes that he could reach.
Thirsty Third
samhoustonag
TE should certainly be one of greatest team strengths.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Glad this thread got cleaned up.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Bunk Moreland
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Raptor said:

Mond is excited he now has some new deep threats who will actually finish their route and jump to the ball.
Sparkie
AG
Our receivers do break off their routes, but its impossible to finish a route and chase down errant throws.
Greencougars
Didn't u have a Freshman all conference TE this past season. Maybe I missed something
DSAG
merch said:

Any news on how he has recovered from his injury? Was looking forward to watching him last year as a freshman.
Ive heard he is up to 275.
He should be able to carry that weight if he is a legit 6'6'.
LSB_2002
AG
Dude is an absolute beast. Ran into him a couple weeks ago working out in a private gym in our hometown. He was running routes like he never skipped a beat.

If we play, he should be a significant factor in our gameplan!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Raptor said:

Passes? Probably. Passes he can reach? Prepare for disappointment.
cheeky
AG
Greencougars said:

Didn't u have a Freshman all conference TE this past season. Maybe I missed something
Yes, and Cupp was ahead of him on the depth chart before the injury. With a healthy Cupp, we've got potentially two all-conference caliber TEs following in Sternberger's footsteps. It's a critical need in Jimbo's offense so we can't have too many. TE prospects are hard to come by but Jimbo certainly appears to have a knack for identifying talent that not everyone sees.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Greencougars said:

12 personnel.....they both see the field. LBs can't cover them in open space and they'll maul DBs in nickel/dime
DGAG92
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Raptor said:

Mond is excited he now has some new deep threats who will actually finish their route and jump to the ball.

He had plenty who finished their routes, but a human being can only jump so high. Mond is about as accurate as the weatherman.
takingbacktexags
sportsfreak1975
TTT
aeon-ag
Dgrimesag92 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Raptor said:

He had plenty who finished their routes, but a human being can only jump so high. Mond is about as accurate as the weatherman.
ROFL, OOOOHHH LMAO. Weatherman, good one!!!
fightinag
Saw that he's been working out on a trampoline so he can jump 3 feet high and have a chance at a Mond pass
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
takingbacktexags
aggie football!
Agsuffering@bulaw
It's a vicuous cycle. None of the WRs had a great catch radius. None had great hands. Ausbon was probably the only one with good hands. Q was the only one who could get seperation consistently. None of the WRs are great at fighting for the ball. Mond probably does not rust them to break up an INT. On top of that, Mond's long accuracy is questionable.

So Mond does not trust his WRs, some of it for good reason. Mond also does not trust himself. So, Mond often leads the WR too far to avoid INTs b/c the WR has not gotten seperation, Mond does not trust him to prevent an INT if the throw goes too short, and Mond often overleads accidentally.

So, WRs who lack great radius and great hands are often forced to make a plays most cannot make consistently. So, Mond trusts them even less. On top of that, the OL sucked last year and could not be counted on to pick up blitzes consistently. So Mond was probably hearing footsteps and expecting to get hit at any moment. That also probably led to rushing and overthrowing.

Mond was stuck in a very challenging situation last year. It would have almost been easier for him if our defense had sucked, b/c then there would be nothing to protect. JFF was allowed to play with his nuts on fire in 2013. He forced all kinds of throws that most coaches would not allow, not just to Evans. But Mond was asked to protect the ball unless we were down late. Basically, Mond was aksed to do what NFL QBs do.

The hope is that Demas and/or Cupp find a way to create seperation and instill confidence. That restores balance and forces the defense to respect more than just Wydermeyer.
A New Hope
O should be light years better than last year. So many weapons especially if Cupp is back and full speed.
halfastros81
AG
It all comes down to the Oline. The more weapons you have the better but if you can't block the opponent then it probably won't matter most of the time. My personal opinion is our OL talent is not great by SEC standards . Jimbo and staff are upgrading on that front but it takes time. We need to see significant improvement on the OL for our offense to be highly successful.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I like your optimism but don't have as much. Demas may be a freak, but he has not done it yet. Neither has Cupp. Cupp was supposed to start over Wydermeyer, but Wydermeyer did not arrive until halfway through the season.

None of the younger outside WRs took Rodger's job. Ainias was the only to challenge, but he was not an X/Z. Bad sign for the 2018 WRs: none even seriously challenged Buckley. Keep in mind that most have had as much time in Jimbo's system as the upperlassmen.

Then there is the OL. Prater was overmatched. None of the '18 recruits seriously challenged him.

Without a good OL, there must be great mismatches with the skill players. Its possible that enough break out, but I am not holding my breath.

I love that Jimbo plans to feature the pony set. At the same time, I doubt Jimbo would be doing so if we had the WRs to create the mismatches he needs.
TEXAS FINEST
I like your Assessment but I have to ask why do you think WR production declined from 18' to 19'..Those WR's balled in 18' and were strongest position on team..Its a knowing that QB can't throw deep ball. Several times last year Davis & Roger had beaten there guy for deep ball and ball over shot. I think it was Buckley who was running wide open against Clemson and ball again was over shot. IMO O line play was down due to new Coach but with schedule as is should dominate In 20'...
Bunk Moreland
HateMeNowAggie said:

I like your Assessment but I have to ask why do you think WR production declined from 18' to 19'..Those WR's balled in 18' and were strongest position on team..Its a knowing that QB can't throw deep ball. Several times last year Davis & Roger had beaten there guy for deep ball and ball over shot. I think it was Buckley who was running wide open against Clemson and ball again was over shot. IMO O line play was down due to new Coach but with schedule as is should dominate In 20'...

Whew, where to begin...

In 2018 we had an all American center anchoring a line with an all-conference RB who ran for 1800 yards. Throw in Mond & Corbin and we had a great running attack.

Additionally, we had an All American TE who kept LB'ers and safeties honest.

The WR's 'balled' in 18?

Quartney: 575 yards | 7 TD's
Cam: 474 yards | 1 TD
Ausbon: 375 yards | 0 TD
Kendrick: 336 yards | 5 TD's

Our WR's had some big moments but were not the strongest position on the team. Neither Quartney or Kendrick made the jump necessary in 2019. We also lost what we thought would be a great replacement at TE with Cupp until Wydermyer emerged as the season went on.

You can't put the lack of development/jump by the WR's all on Mond's inconsistency. If we're going to just anecdote all day, Quartney dropped a perfect bomb TD in game 1, Kendrick continued to dog routes or turn off them or jump early, etc.

Mond needed to be sharper but until he could trust a guy other than Ausbon, combined with the poor OL, it was clear Jimbo went into super conservative mode any chance he could and tried to win games by scratching and clawing. Thankfully Wydermyer came on as a consistent threat as the year went on.

Whole new schedule and whole new batch of weapons this year. Ausbon will command attention which will only serve to help Demas, Ainias in space, Cupp & Wydermyer up the seam, etc.
Punked Shank
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

HateMeNowAggie said:

Whew, where to begin...

In 2018 we had an all American center anchoring a line with an all-conference RB who ran for 1800 yards. Throw in Mond & Corbin and we had a great running attack.

Additionally, we had an All American TE who kept LB'ers and safeties honest.

The WR's 'balled' in 18?

Quartney: 575 yards | 7 TD's
Cam: 474 yards | 1 TD
Ausbon: 375 yards | 0 TD
Kendrick: 336 yards | 5 TD's

Our WR's had some big moments but were not the strongest position on the team. Neither Quartney or Kendrick made the jump necessary in 2019. We also lost what we thought would be a great replacement at TE with Cupp until Wydermyer emerged as the season went on.

You can't put the lack of development/jump by the WR's all on Mond's inconsistency at time. If we're going to just anecdote all day, Quartney dropped a perfect bomb TD in game 1, Kendrick continued to dog routes or turn off them or jump early, etc.

Mond needed to be sharper but until he could trust a guy other than Ausbon, combined with the poor OL, it was clear Jimbo went into super conservative mode any chance he could and tried to win games by scratching and clawing. Thankfully Wydermyer came on as a consistent threat as the year went on.

Whole new schedule and whole new batch of weapons this year. Ausbon will command attention which will only serve to help Demas, Ainias in space, Cupp & Wydermyer up the seam, etc.

Careful using facts on texags. It does not go over very well.

You just ended that conversation
TEXAS FINEST
Will take the facts into consideration because what's discussed on here is not what's discussed in locker room and that's definitely a fact....I think all want to see Demas but given lack of practice time I think Chapman wins that job .. Ausbon hasn't commanded attention being #1 target in 3yrs so doubt defenses scheme him....I mention WR grouo being strongest position because that's what article stated before 19' season....Will revisit with you as season goes on if there is a season.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.