Story Poster
Photo by 12th MKOT Foundation
Texas A&M Football

Jackie Sherrill speaks on coronavirus, controversial flags and more

June 23, 2020

Key notes from Jackie Sherrill interview

• It's been a hard few months for everybody. The administrations, the fans and the players have dealt with a lot of different situations. We're all in this pool of water, and it goes up and down every day. One day a group of scientists and experts say this, and the next day they will say something completely different. We're in uncharted waters, and I don't think anyone knows what's happening. 

• Most college athletes have a 12-month training program where you keep your body and mind in shape year-round. As an athlete, you get into a routine of breaking those months up into sections and taking into account the offseason, the spring practices, the summer workouts and the actual season. We've missed a large chunk of the offseason, all of spring practice and a chunk of the summer as well. How much will not having that everyday schedule affect the athletes? They are in a much different situation now than they have ever been in.

• To give you an idea of the medical staff at any university, they have been bombarded lately. There is a lot of equipment and decisions that have to be made to keep them safe. There is so much equipment, sanitation and so many factors to take into account. How do you accurately measure what you need to keep the athletes safe? We know now that you can't go into the facilities if you have a high temperature, so there are a few things schools are doing to make sure they contain the spread of the virus. We're looking at additional millions of dollars that every university will be spending just on medical staff alone.

• I don't have an idea of just how vital the chaplains, team therapists and psychiatrists are within a team. We had a psychiatrist during my coaching days that helped us to get a better idea of what a player was going through, understand what they have experienced and where they were mentally. I think we need to continue to test the players and make sure they are succeeding mentally. A player may be great physically speaking, but mentally, they are struggling. Those are the things that need to be considered moving forward. We're going through something we have never experienced, and I don't know many coaches that are part-time psychiatrists, so you have to hire people like that to help your players grow not just in their sport, but as people as well.

• I think people are becoming more open-minded and trying to understand the issues going on in the country. Many people know me, and back in the 80s, I was not a political person. I said what needed to be said and didn't branch out too much. I remember talking to Mack Brown once and telling him that there is no way I could've ever coached at Texas. I'm not the kind of guy that can flip the tie every five seconds to appease the people.

• What I will say is that we need to continue to do the right thing, and there are guys with the titles in front of their names whose jobs it is to handle these types of issues in the news. Chancellors and presidents like John Sharp and Michael Young — even head coaches like Jimbo Fisher — have to deal with a lot of things that many others don't have to account for. We are in times where there are people in place that hold the responsibility to act.

• As a person involved in politics, the Governor of Mississippi is being pulled in different directions. A majority of Mississippians voted to keep the flag the way it is, but there are still a lot saying it needs to be changed. I think we need to get rid of things that suppress people. One of my favorite things from coaching was the unity in the locker room. On a team, everyone is equal, no matter where you are from or what religion or beliefs you have.

• Unfortunately, people are using the athletes for their agenda and using them for their benefit. I always ask people how much they have studied history and not just what someone has told them about. What I will say is that when the NCAA says they won't play a championship in Mississippi, I think the NCAA is trying to get too involved.

• The NCAA has never been in the business of helping the athletes. At one time, a student-athlete in Kansas sued the NCAA because they were found to be withholding funds that were supposed to go to athletics. For years you had athletes that were underfunded because the NCAA didn't provide the funds to truly take care of them. If you look at the cost of living, the quality of living that the NCAA had pushed on its athletes had been underwhelming for decades. I'm against all the people that just jump on the bandwagon, and to me, the NCAA is one of the biggest hypocrites there is.
Discussion from...

Jackie Sherrill speaks on coronavirus, controversial flags and more

10,314 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiebrad94
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What? Sherrill thinks the NCAA is a bunch of hypocrites. I'm shocked, shocked.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

The NCAA has never been in the business of helping the athletes... and to me, the NCAA is one of the biggest hypocrites there is.
Stone44
AG
Jackie knows. Still the best.
aggiebrad94
AG
"Get rid of things that suppress people."

Ok. Like what? A song , statue, or flag? None of those kept these athletes from getting into a D1 college to play a sport.
GumboMaverick
aggiebrad94 said:

Ok. Like what? A song , statue, or flag? None of those kept these athletes from getting into a D1 college to play a sport.
Im guessing you are a white dude.

Im ok with making everyone feel comfortable - why do you get to decide what makes someone feel inclusive? Your background doesnt include being afraid of what the majority of people in the US dont have to worry about.

it is just a freaking "statue, song or flag" - why not just put them in a museum? what harm is that?
Bakergt
Sadly, everything has become simply black or white. But it's not that simple. History is history and cannot be changed, no matter how much you like or dislike it. I would rather see all parties concerned, taking a look forward to improve our situations, and keep history in mind so that we don't make the same mistakes again. We simply cannot re write, or change history to suit our narrative, but we can go forward with the plan to make it better. But it takes reasonable talk, and compromise to achieve these goals. Sadly, this cannot happen while there are elements of society rioting, burning, looting, and attacking the police. Until all parties, both democrat and republican can come together to condemn these actions, no meaningful solutions can be applied. And it doesn't matter how many statues are taken down.
aggiebrad94
AG
GumboMaverick said:

aggiebrad94 said:

Im ok with making everyone feel comfortable - why do you get to decide what makes someone feel inclusive? Your background doesnt include being afraid of what the majority of people in the US dont have to worry about.

it is just a freaking "statue, song or flag" - why not just put them in a museum? what harm is that?
How in the world are you going to make everyone feel comfortable? Do you really think changing a song, flag, or statue is going to be the end of it?

And to ask you your own question right back - why do THEY get to decide what happens with a historical statue.
JackrabbitAgg
GumboMavick You remind me of Hillary in her response to the brave guys that lost their lives defending that flag at Bengazi. So, a black guy can't have pride in a statue, flag or song? To many it's extremely important, more important than a simple game! Regardless you can't change history. You can only hope to make the future better.
AggieBlu
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

GumboMaverick said:

aggiebrad94 said:

How in the world are you going to make everyone feel comfortable? Do you really think changing a song, flag, or statue is going to be the end of it?

And to ask you your own question right back - why do THEY get to decide what happens with a historical statue.
Absolutely right. That is not the end of it as a number of year of oppression have to be considered her. You are right. Removing those things don't change anything, but what will it hurt if they were removed? I don't think anyone is asking that question. I expect Sul Ross to remain on campus. I also expect Matthew Gaines will be on campus sooner or later, but I don't think this will quill the waves of change coming to the country. It's been too long over due. Now, let's get back to college football so my fall doesn't suck!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
TexAggie1999
GumboMaverick said:

aggiebrad94 said:

So anytime someone is offended, we just change it? So if you are a minority, you get to decide to eliminate anything you find oppressive or offensive and no one can question that? Just do what you say?

Sorry, but that is BS. The Majority SHOULD be part of the decision on what changes, I don't know how anyone short of an extreme liberal leftist can not look at what is going on in the world today and not say "This has gone too far." Too many things are being called offensive. The term racist is being thrown around too freely in terms of whites. The terms White Supremacy and White Privilege are being overused. Removing all black images from any food items because they create the image that blacks are our slaves and cook for us? Seriously? Suggesting statues of Jesus are objects of White Supremacy? Seriously? Calling every shooting of a black person by a white police officer as police brutality and racist (see Rayshard Brooks)? Saying ordinances about wearing masks do not apply to people of color because they play into stereotypes of masked black people being scary (see Lincoln County Oregon)? Seriously? Suggesting all whites who don't agree with all of the Black Lives Matter demands are racist?

This is all going to devalue any real concerns. At this point, reasonable people will simply tune out to all of these complaints, and rightfully so. We are at the point where reasonable people need to start fighting back. This "movement", which is based on the unjust killing of George Floyd but for which there is ZERO reason to suggest was even racist, has gone WAY too far. Society needs to tell these people to SHUT THE HELL UP! They have gone too far and are being completely unreasonable.
GumboMaverick
Wow. Taking it to the extreme. I never said if any one person was offended then Change it.

Did you care much aBout the Ross statue before last week?

If there was a statue on campus of a guy whose nickname was whitey cracker killer. No matter how he got it. You'd likely be offended.

My entire point is it is just a statue. No harm to remove it. It is a very small concession in the big scheme of things.

Also your rant was too long only read the first line

AGSWON
AG
"If there was a statue on campus of a guy whose nickname was whitey cracker killer. No matter how he got it. You'd likely be offended."

Depends if that nickname was derived by said person or embraced by said person. Nobody can control what someone else writes about them. Looks like they had bad journalism in those days too.
Bakergt
"Only read the first line"? Comprehension issues?
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

My entire point is it is just a statue. No harm to remove it. It is a very small concession in the big scheme of things.
Please expand on what you see as the big scheme here. Unless I understand and agree with your big scheme, then I can't agree that this is a small concession.
GumboMaverick
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Please expand on what you see as the big scheme here. Unless I understand and agree with your big scheme, then I can't agree that this is a small concession.
Big scheme would be try to be as inclusive to all people as much as possible. Does taking down a statue really hurt you as much as leaving it up would hurt another group of people?
GumboMaverick
Bakergt said:

"Only read the first line"? Comprehension issues?
nah - but go ahead with this line of questioning -- this is what people do online when they are not capable of having a civil discussion where they are being challenged. "lets throw out insults!"
sherrygolfer
Well said! Thank you!
SBDavis87
AG
If Jackie had Johnny we'd be close to earning the football program respect Alabama has now - but would still need to change the Cotton Bowl to the Breathable Textile Bowl due to sensitivities.

Best Aggie coach of the post WWII era.

in before (but if the frog had wings....)
aggiebrad94
AG
GumboMaverick said:

aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Big scheme would be try to be as inclusive to all people as much as possible. Does taking down a statue really hurt you as much as leaving it up would hurt another group of people?
Congratulations mate! We're there already. For folks of any race, nation, and even sexual orientation - A&M can be the college for you. Neither your race, gender, age, or military status can keep you from taking a course, playing intramurals, living on or off campus, and EVEN graduating! We have clubs, societies, outfits, and Greek Life if you're in to that. We have food choices for every diet from all around the world.

Most importantly, we have hundreds of professors and administrators who will not only help you identify your victim status, but they will help you figure out how to blame white people, or straight people, or Christians, or pieces of metal for it!

A&M is more inclusive than a ride on the It's A Small World After All at Disney!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.