Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SAVE SULLY!

46,180 Views | 256 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
atm86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sign the petition to save Sully from being removed from the campus!

http://chng.it/XSmfJpWhh2
merch
I'm lazy, What is the argument for having it removed?
atm86
AG
He was a confederate general.
RockOn
I've always found statues of people to be weird anyways. *shrugs*
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Sucks for all those dudes that are finding themselves on the wrong side of history decades or centuries later. But I guess they probably don't care that much these days now that they're dead.
West Point Aggie
AG
Wait until they go after Washington and Jefferson and the like...
Let’s Go Brandon!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
RockOn said:

Then you must hate Kyle Field.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

During his first term as governor, Ross oversaw the expansion and establishment of both Texas A&M and Texas A&M Prairie View, Texas' first place of higher learning for African Americans.
You're a racist if you don't sign.
chrisocker
AG
I mean, I guess the first thing I would look at is how many campus goers and former students know Sul Ross for his confederate dealings versus his being the president of AMC.

My point being, I believe this is not a confederate statue or one that embodies the confederacy at all. Instead, it's a statue commemorating Sul Ross' time as the president of AMC and the good he did here for the student body.

To want to vandalize it or tear it down is to not appreciate the good of what it actually stands for.
strbrst777
Sully isn't going anywhere...period.
TexanJeff
AG
Classic Aggie Move: Typo in the headline!!

This is asinine, he was literally the president of our College. It's not like it is a random Robert E Lee statue the DAC bought and installed in the 1950s.

He is not being honored at A&M because of a single thing he did during the Civil War, only after it so to me it is not a "confederate statue". He is not wearing a confederate uniform in the statue, there are no confederate flags on the statue, it doesn't mention anything about the confederacy, it was not purchased and installed by the DAC.

This is an easy place to draw the line in cancel culture.
EASY
Ag Tag
We're on our way to leftist totalitarianism
QB1
AG
Agreed, Jefferson had over 600 slaves yet he is on Rushmore...much bigger things to discuss than our sul statue
dcbowers
AG
Sully was a Democrat, he defeated a white supremacist, established Arbor Day, and fought for free college.

Sounds like a progressive to me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
czar_iv
AG
Let's just admit and recruit students and student-athletes that won't care about Sully's past. Can someone please pass on a Sully-approved recruiting questionnaire to Jimbo?
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
RockOn
Champ Bailey said:

RockOn said:

Yea actually. this statue is hideous.
TexanJeff
AG
dcbowers said:

Sully was a Democrat, he defeated a white supremacist, established Arbor Day, and fought for free college.

Sounds like a progressive to me.
Conservatives used to be Pro Conservation... Roosevelt founded the national parks. Nixon founded the EPA. Conservatives used to be pro education. Back before religious nuts and strict libertarians took over the leadership. (Used to be pro choice as well, but don't tell anyone).
mcag83
AG
When he comes down can I have all the coins????
Like anyone can even know that.
DallasTeleAg
TexanJeff said:

(Used to be pro choice as well, but don't tell anyone).
...lol. Go back to sleep.
T Boon Pickens
mcag83 said:

When he comes down can I have all the coins????

At night he comes alive, and consumes the pennies for sustenance!
BaileyAg
AG
Signed. Good Lord, what we've come to in this world
PanhandleSlim
AG
Signed with great gusto.
Spyderman
AG
RockOn said:

Champ Bailey said:

RockOn said:

Yea actually. this statue is hideous.

Indeed, that mess and the weak entrance song need to go.

IMO

Sully? Put yourself in another's shoes before making a final call.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
DuriAg
AG
Are any of you a person of color? If not, then you need to consider if you are the right person to be giving an opinion.
diamondag
I've got a great solution

Let's follow this logic to its completion and not half ass it

Let's get all the southern states that were in the civil war and kick them out of the United States !!!!

Don't stop at the statue ... make sure the confederate States Feel the bern and go full Beto on them

Let's make them leave and start there own country YEAH!!! That'll show em
inch05
AG
Matthew Gaines statue?
stexag88
AG
Signed Buck Cardenas '88
Buck Cardenas
diamondag
Ps

I am a person of color and a dark one at that

And if anyone would have felt racism it would be me and my ugly ass

But in my old age I have noticed that all people have had some prejudice thrown at them and I do mean all people, we need to keep this mixed society blended with some realism and some logic

We can't solve problems without noticing the real issues of having a society with so many different cultures and beliefs and wants and needs

It's not an easy solution to fix and some politicians are just throwing darts out there without care of the repercussions or fully thinking it out

I have found every solution comes with its own set of problems that need sorting out

OldArmy71
AG
In the interests of accurate campusology--

Quote:

it doesn't mention anything about the confederacy

--the inscription on Sully does ID him as "brigadier general CSA."
who?mikejones
AG
DuriAg said:

Are any of you a person of color? If not, then you need to consider if you are the right person to be giving an opinion.

How very racist of you.
vander54
S
inch05 said:

Matthew Gaines statue?

I would love to see this. If it wasn't for the bonfire tragedy he may have one. Hopefully in the near future his statue will find a place on campus.
vander54
S
diamondag said:

I've got a great solution

Let's follow this logic to its completion and not half ass it

Let's get all the southern states that were in the civil war and kick them out of the United States !!!!

Don't stop at the statue ... make sure the confederate States Feel the bern and go full Beto on them

Let's make them leave and start there own country YEAH!!! That'll show em

Love it
rootube
AG
vander54 said:

inch05 said:

Matthew Gaines statue?

I would love to see this. If it wasn't for the bonfire tragedy he may have one. Hopefully in the near future his statue will find a place on campus.
I'd trade an E King Gill and two Sul Ross's for a James Earl Rudder and the Rangers storming Point du Hoc statue.
TAMU74
AG
Proudly signed and made a donation.
jaxisback
Of course Sul Ross's statue should remain on the Texas A&M campus.

People that seek to judge the character of others against a standard that has evolved over more than a hundred years should check themselves first.

This is one reason social justice never accomplishes anything, no one can define what it means, so it devolves to silly grievances over statues that have been around for decades and even centuries in some cases.

Sul Ross matters to a lot of Aggies for very good reasons, if he doesn't matter to you, then just ignore it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.