Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Solid Verbal

8,992 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Class of 65
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a podcast that lays out the issues with the upcoming season. I found it to be responsible, and mature. Not as clear cut despite everyone wanting normal football.
DallasAggie89
AG
I think you accidentally hit the "post" button before you were able to type the details.
Double Diamond
The details are there. It's not a clear cut situation. Lot of things to hash out in regards to football in our currant situation. The one thing that is clear is we all want football. Just what that football will look like is unknown. And these guys laid out the issues and talked through. The consensus is football will be played. However, it won't be like we've always had. Revised football is coming.
TheWoodsAg
TheWoodsAg
AG
A podcast done by a guy who lives in Allentown PA and a guy who lives in Brooklyn...

I'm sure the east coast elites have the pulse of the college football nation (particularity there south and Midwest) down.
Ag4coal
If there are no spikes post-riots, then we should be good to go
VatoLocoAggie
This country needs college football to unify the nation and to bring happiness back to peoples lives.

I read an Aggie blog that is for current students that they are going to demand BLM patches be sewed on sport unis this season to honor GF and others victimized by police brutality.

These are steps being taken by students to help heal and move on it appears. I don't know what my thoughts are about all this. I just want Aggie sports to return.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Class of 65
AG
Please explain. This is the second most confusing thread on Texags.
Double Diamond
Actually PA or NJ isn't some different land. We are all people in this together.
Double Diamond
Listen to the podcast. It is not hard to find.
AG
Double Diamond said:

Lot of things to hash out in regards to football in our currant situation.

In my situation, I'd probably prefer a bit of smoked paprika, but I guess a little caribbean flavor would work, too.
AG
Double Diamond said:

Listen to the podcast. It is not hard to find.

It would be infinitely easier to find if you'd include the actual name of the podcast in one of your posts.
Double Diamond
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-solid-verbal-college-football-podcast/id270037732?i=1000475370672
Double Diamond
I found this to be the most honest, mature, and realistic conversation on where we are at in regards to playing college football in the fall. Wish I was hearing this in other ports of talk.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
Thread title fail.

I clicked on it thinking we had just gotten a commit, or at least some good news.
Showstopper
AG
www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts
West Point Aggie
AG
Double Diamond said:

Actually PA or NJ isn't some different land. We are all people in this together.

YES it is a different land...NJ, NY and PA the area of the country I came from...and absolute nanny state cluster. PERIOD!

...and the "we are all in this together" slogan is utter crap...we simply are not...we are a splintered and very different set of regions held together under the false delusion of unity. United we are most definitely NOT (have not been for a while and NOV will once again show that quote clearly)
Let’s Go Brandon!
Caesar4
AG
BAS65 said:

Please explain. This is the second most confusing thread on Texags.
The confusing part was from OP because of placing the subject of the first sentence into the title instead of in the first sentence itself. Once you realize that, the sentence reads:

Solid Verbal had a podcast that lays out the issues with the upcoming season.
Aggie71013
AG
Love The Solid Verbal. Listen to almost every podcast. Nothing else to add besides the fact that they did lay out the scenarios to play in the fall well and believe we will play.
Double Diamond
Clearly there are a lot in Texas who think they are above slowing down a world pandemic. We all should be able to go out. But be smart. And packing 100k into a football stadium isn't being smart.
Double Diamond
Thank you for being less Zoo. That's true. Except they do not think it'll be a normal 12 game season with 100k fans in stadiums. I don't think they are wrong. This won't be normal.

It'll be interesting as testing could cost teams a million bucks how this is done. Small schools can't pay that.
samhoustonag
Double Diamond said:

Clearly there are a lot in Texas who think they are above slowing down a world pandemic. We all should be able to go out. But be smart. And packing 100k into a football stadium isn't being smart.
Fallen for the media's mass hysteria, eh?

The most credible studies show this is no more fatal than the flu. Shall we just do away with college football, since much of it is played during flu season?

40,000 people die in car accidents each year in the US. Should we all give up driving?

Double Diamond
Glad you all won't be making the decision and bet you won't be packed in to stadiums.
Agsuffering@bulaw
How about you summarize in more than a sentence or 2 the key factors and how they likely get resolved or not? I dont really care about the all of us coming together part.

If it sounds interesting enough, I will listen.
Double Diamond
Okay money how is testing paid for? This could reach into the million dollar range. How do small schools pay for this?

Travel. This seems to be a real issue.

States placing different rules in place. This effects the whole group. Hard to play on an even playing field with different rules.

If fans are limited who gets in?

Not playing 12 games. Cutting out travel during non conference.

Players who do not feel safe. How do you go forward.

Like all the talk. Not having college football would be very bad economically.

What happens if a team comes down very sick and another team or state won't let that team in. How does that effect the schedule.

Broadcast. Are there crews on sight to call the game?

They think a season will go. But it'll be a limited schedule and fans will either not be at games. Or very limited. Cannot have fans elbow to elbow.
Meximan
samhoustonag said:

Double Diamon said:

The most credible studies show this is no more fatal than the flu.
CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 20182019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1
Meanwhile 100,000 people have died in less than two months in the U.S. alone from Covid-19. The numbers are literally right there.
LEJ
Double Diamond said:

Okay money how is testing paid for? This could reach into the million dollar range. How do small schools pay for this?

Travel. This seems to be a real issue.

States placing different rules in place. This effects the whole group. Hard to play on an even playing field with different rules.

If fans are limited who gets in?

Not playing 12 games. Cutting out travel during non conference.

Players who do not feel safe. How do you go forward.

Like all the talk. Not having college football would be very bad economically.

What happens if a team comes down very sick and another team or state won't let that team in. How does that effect the schedule.

Broadcast. Are there crews on sight to call the game?

They think a season will go. But it'll be a limited schedule and fans will either not be at games. Or very limited. Cannot have fans elbow to elbow.

You should stay home (starting now) and watch big n rich and Matt Mcgheyheeeey commercials. You're not SEC ready
ec2004
AG
What on earth? I don't understand this behavior although I suppose it's common online to simply be a jerk.

He summarized the podcast which people seemed to want him to do - now you jump on him for his thoughts on the virus? Ugh.
Double Diamond
SEC ready? Man you guys fit the stereotype.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I asked for a summary, he provided one. Most pimping a product would have ducked my request. Sounds like it has potential.
StrykerAg
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

A podcast done by a guy who lives in Allentown PA and a guy who lives in Brooklyn...

I'm sure the east coast elites have the pulse of the college football nation (particularity there south and Midwest) down.

Another person from Allentown?
Double Diamond
I think will see a WWII type schedule. It'll be cut in half. Travel will be limited. Season over by thanksgiving.

Questions I have is how will tests be paid for?

What happens when players get sick. Because they will. What happens if a state won't allow a team that had positive tests come into the state to play.

How does the NCAA get all states on the same page?

Fans won't be at games till a later in the season if things go well.
northeastag
AG
Meximan said:

samhoustonag said:

Double Diamon said:

The most credible studies show this is no more fatal than the flu.
CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 20182019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1
Meanwhile 100,000 people have died in less than two months in the U.S. alone from Covid-19. The numbers are literally right there.
It's a killer, to be sure. But there's quite a few who question that 100k number. A lot of suspected cases being thrown in.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I am glad you brought these ideas up. I think most are hard but not complicated. Football feeds athletic departments. Rules and regs will be bent to ensure the machine gets fed. State officials will not take the political hit for cancelling games, not even the CA gov. Its not jsut about football. Football pays for athletics. Athletics drives enrollment (at most places).

The more interesting question to me combines accounting and policy:

"What happens to non-revenue sports if Football only brings in __?__% of expected revenue?"
Double Diamond
I agree there are real questions. Those saying it's clear cut are really not paying attention. Like I said games will bd played due to money. And I get it. I just don't think it'll be normal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.