Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Marcus Buckley

6,856 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by takingbacktexags
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Off season, I know. I had two classes with Marcus. Fall into into kinesiology his sophomore year and I believe spring his junior year.

I was an all state offensive lineman the 1989 season with a couple of small school offers but wanted to play in the SWC. That's the Southwest Conference to new army. My goal was to walk on at A&M.

In the fundamentals of KINE class we had to pass certain physical tests. One was the 50 yard dash. We had an alternate to the summer Olympics for hurdles that class. Marcus asked if that guy would rabbit for him. I distinctly remember sitting in the north endzone of Kyle Field (you could do that back then and there was a track). Marcus was 6'4", 240 lbs without an ounce of fat on him. I watched him run the 50 finishing less than a yard from the Olympian alternate. At that moment I said to myself, "A man that big, running that fast hits me, I'm in trouble. I have no business being on the same field as him." I gave up any ideas playing after that.

Fast forward I was taking my last KINE credit. Handball with Lance. Some of yall might remember him as he was a little guy with huge handlebar mustache. Marcus had to take PE classes like the rest of us. He ended up in that class. As that was my 4th semester playing handball, I was pretty good. Marcus kept joking with me that he was going to play me one day.

Well one day came. That man's athletic abilities were incredible. At one point he accidentally hit me and sent me flying. He fell over himself apologizing. I will say I beat him, but not by much.

This was before his Butkis award run his senior year. I would see him on campus. He'd be with other players. He always made it a point to stop and say hello and shake my hand.

By no means am I saying that if you ask Marcus if he remembers old Hoosegow that he will say yes. What I am saying is I remember him being a really down to earth humble good guy.

Class of '94
1996OlAg
AG
Thanks for sharing!

Class of 96 here
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Quote:

I distinctly remember sitting in the north endzone of Kyle Field (you could do that back then and there was a track). Marcus was 6'4", 240 lbs without an ounce of fat on him. I watched him run the 50 finishing less than a yard from the Olympian alternate. At that moment I said to myself, "A man that big, running that fast hits me, I'm in trouble.

That is why this happened . . .

Emilio Fantastico
AG
Hoosegow said:

Well one day came. That man's athletic abilities were incredible. At one point he accidentally hit me and sent me flying. He fell over himself apologizing. I will say I beat him, but not by much.

So is that 'The Hit' that CU@Kyle said Buckley made?
Johnny2Fan

LEJ
What's the backstory on Op's Username?
W
AG
I think he got out in January...but has a lot of money to pay back
W
AG
he was released in January. Good timing with the COVID hitting a couple of months later
mccag
S
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Quote:

I distinctly remember sitting in the north endzone of Kyle Field (you could do that back then and there was a track). Marcus was 6'4", 240 lbs without an ounce of fat on him. I watched him run the 50 finishing less than a yard from the Olympian alternate. At that moment I said to myself, "A man that big, running that fast hits me, I'm in trouble.

That is why this happened . . .

Had to know this was coming!
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
KCantrell28
AG
I grew up playing basketball with his son - and they are a great family. I had always heard stories from my family about him, but it wasn't until I went back and watched some old games that I really knew how great of a player he was!
NoahAg
W said:

Was he in jail?
Mac94
AG
Mac94
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
Yeah, $1.6M in tax fraud.
JPK89
AG
Mac94 said:

Those unis...bring em back!!!!
wisdom
AG
Join this video 9 minutes into it. This is what I remember when I hear "Marcus Buckley"

Mule_lx
AG
I distinctly remembering watching that play.
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
wisdom said:

Join this video 9 minutes into it. This is what I remember when I hear "Marcus Buckley"

Ditto.
90ags
No coincidence then #9 at 9min into the video with the INT and the score.

We had a lot of great players back in the day
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
WC94
AG
I had Buckley for golf and was is awe of how big his forearms were. They were completely proportional to his body, he was just a large human.

I was at that game and it was cold as *****
TheAngelFlight

Quote:

I was at that game and it was cold as *****

The 1993 Texas game was freezing and drizzly. The 1991 game, in the video above, was pretty pleasant.
yell_on_6th st
AG
The Hit!
W
AG
NoahAg said:

W said:

Was he in jail?
he did 2 years in the federal penitentiary.

the 1990 team has sent some guys to prison unfortunately
tatawnka
AG
The hit over the middle by #44 was Quinton Coryatt (severe badass) but Barkley was faster. Scary!

Class of '86
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mac94 said:

Who would have thought back then that Bert Emanuel would have a better NFL career than Marcus Buckley?
tatawnka
AG
Sorry meant Buckley. He was a beast.
TexanJeff
AG
tatawnka said:

The hit over the middle by #44 was Quinton Coryatt (severe badass) but Barkley was faster. Scary!

Class of '86
Welcome to the Zoo

You should check out this thread...

Original CU@Kyle Thread

This joke is now 14 years old and shows no signs of going away!
WC94
AG
TexanJeff said:

tatawnka said:

Class of '86
Welcome to the Zoo

You should check out this thread...

Original CU@Kyle Thread

This joke is now 14 years old and shows no signs of going away!

We can now say "The Hit" was by Barkley.
Bryant03
AG
tatawnka said:

Class of '86

You're an idiot, Rookie. This has been debated and proven for over 20yrs. Buckley made "The Hit"!!! Coryatt wasn't even a starter in his time at A&M.
tatawnka
AG
I get your "high school" bit. Nice.
takingbacktexags
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.