Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

TCU Trap Doors Dominic Richardson

8,910 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ghowe
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article243015201.html

Signed him in December. Got another RB in Feb and then Zach Evans.
dixichkn
AG
Sure we'd have probably done same if that fart-in-the-wind known as Zach Evans had decided a month ago to call CS home. I'd like to think we're above that stuff but......?
Slamn Sharpe
Business is business
agnerd
AG
Wouldn't mind seeing schools have to pay a $10k fine to the athlete for this kind of thing.
pv
An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do. F U TCU

Poor kid was promised something and totally lied to.
AG
pv said:

We would've done exactly the same thing. Don't delude yourself.
vander54
S
Wanted to read the article to see exactly what happened ed but it's making me pay and I don't want a subscription
TXAggie2011
AG
vander54 said:

Wanted to read the article to see exactly what happened ed but it's making me pay and I don't want a subscription
All it says is he was granted a full release from his letter of intent.
Slamn Sharpe
agnerd said:

Wouldn't mind seeing schools have to pay a $10k fine to the athlete for this kind of thing.

If there were a $10,000 bill, they could be wiping with them.
BDub3
AG
4 said:

pv said:

Jimbo let Jefferson sign when he obviously could have gone out and got a better player with that scholarship. Said once a kid is committed to him, he's committed to the kid. Jimbo wouldn't have done this.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Y'all are delusional if you think that's never happened here before.
TXAggie2011
AG
Its not clear from that article what happened.

A school cannot just pull out from a signed and accepted national letter of intent. Its binding on both parties.
Gil Renard
AG
Mac engel with the crickets. He'd have trap door Jimbo on the front page and roast A&M.
NowhereMan
Boring The SEC does not care about the Star Telegram TCU beat writers opinions or which pop Warner program player plays in Fort Cow Paddy. Harry Faterson is Art Briles master.
Meximan
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Y'all are delusional if you think that's never happened here before.

Actually it seems like Sherman, then Sumlin, and now Jimbo have all been unusually supportive of transfers, even detrimentally so.
Aston04
AG
Gil Renard said:

Mac engel with the crickets. He'd have trap door Jimbo on the front page and roast A&M.
LEJ
Geeen jacket, Gold jacket, who gives a sht?
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I can't hate on Mac Engel. If he's still married to the Little Ball of Hate, he's already serving a life sentence.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
TCU was obligated to the scholarship for this year, so the actual story, although most of you will be loathe to admit it, is one of treating the athlete well and acting with integrity.

Most likely there was a conversation when Evans signed and the coaches leveled with this young man when they could have told him bs to keep him around. The young man listened to the truth, requested a release, and the release was granted.
swc93
AG
Transferred to the Transfer Portal preemptively.

Ian Neff
AG
"We would've done exactly the same thing. Don't delude yourself.

Jimbo let Jefferson sign when he obviously could have gone out and got a better player with that scholarship. Said once a kid is committed to him, he's committed to the kid. Jimbo wouldn't have done this."

AGREED. So exhausted with momos who say things just to appear objective.

You so dum.
Aston04
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

TCU was obligated to the scholarship for this year, so the actual story, although most of you will be loathe to admit it, is one of treating the athlete well and acting with integrity.

Most likely there was a conversation when Evans signed and the coaches leveled with this young man when they could have told him bs to keep him around. The young man listened to the truth, requested a release, and the release was granted.
haha. what a great spin. trapdoor turns into acting with integrity. well done.
West Point Aggie
AG
Aston04 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Or maybe that's just what happened...kids move away from programs and programs move away from kids ALL THE TIME!

If the number 1 recruit in the country suddenly got a
Woody for A&M instead of Clemson or Bama or Ohio state you'd better believe WE would do the same and tell the other kid, we wish you well!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Aston04 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

So you're saying it would have been better to keep him for the year and then cut his scholarship next year?

I don't know the details, but I'm just saying that the story that Patterson is the devil for doing this is really not the only plausible story.
Kramer
AG
If you search the kids name on Twitter, there is nobody saying this was a mutual agreement. This was a straight up rug pull.

And miss me with the A&M would have done the same thing. Before the signing is one thing, but 4-6 months after is Bush League. For anyone, including A&M.

I just don't get some people's desire to give Patterson a pass on virtual everything.

Drug problems around the program: pass
Underperform on the field: pass
Throw players under the bus: pass
Screw a signed player over by trap dooring: pass
TXAggie2011
AG
If the kid wanted to come to TCU and fulfilled his eligibility requirements, they had to give him a scholarship. You can't simply "pull the rug" when you've accepted the letter of intent.

So, of course some people wonder what happened and how it took place.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The writer misses a key fact, but I dont buy him being processed. Without Richardson, tcu only has 5 scholarship RBs and none of the returners were significant contributors last year

The rule of thumb is 6 scholarship RBs. We blue-shirted an unknown Juco transfer to get to 6. I say that ignorant of tcu recruiting tendencies. They do have several "athletes" according to TOS, although none appear to have the combination of measurables for a RB.

According to TOS, tcu returns 3 RBs, plus Evans and Miller. The article does not mention Emari Demercado.

Demercado was academic all-BDF. He was able to transfer from Juco after a year, so he probably went to juco b/c of questionable talent, not questionable academics. It does not look like they see him as the answer.
AWP 97
AG
What did TCU do wrong? Sign additional RBs? Wow, the audacity for them to do that!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

What did TCU do wrong? Sign additional RBs? Wow, the audacity for them to do that!

IF true, would be far worse.

Some accuse Patterson of forcing the kid to accept a release. The idea being that Zach Evans took the last scholarship, so tcu processed Richardson months after he signed his LOI.

A committed athlete who transfers, incurs a 1-year sit penalty unless the program releases him or he gets a waiver (unlikely). That makes it harder for him to get picked up by another program, b/c most good programs needing RB help will not pay the sit year unless the athlete is way better than what they can normally hope to recruit. Most athletes good enough to go to tcu dont want to drop down to G5 or worse. So, the first program has leverage.

Furthermore, the kid is from OKC. Most of tcu's HS recruits are from TX. Probably less blowback from doing a non-TX kid that way.

And IDK if this is an issue, but Patterson had a losing season despite having 5 players drafted. He went 7-6 the year prior. My guess is that he survives 2020 whatever happens, but his seat could be starting to warm up. Sometimes when the seat gets warm, coaches find themselves doing things they would not normally.

I dont buy it. I did not state it like this earlier; no RB on their roster is solid.

Evans- huge character concerns, huge potential
Demercado- dealt with previously
Barlow- only played in 3 games as a fish, could still be the answer
Foster- did not play last year, despite no true RB3 emerging
Miller- low 3* Athlete
Aston04
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Aston04 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Or maybe that's just what happened...kids move away from programs and programs move away from kids ALL THE TIME!

If the number 1 recruit in the country suddenly got a
Woody for A&M instead of Clemson or Bama or Ohio state you'd better believe WE would do the same and tell the other kid, we wish you well!
I don't doubt that. A&M would trade up in a heartbeat and likely does on some recruits each year that end up "de-committing." I just wouldn't brag about A&M being the bastion of virtue in dumping the old 3 star. And it sucks a bit more doing it this late in the process.

Just like I get it when a man or woman upgrades to a much hotter girlfriend/boyfriend. Still doesn't make him/her a saint for doing that though. What an incredible spin though to try to make it a good deed.
Aston04
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Aston04 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

So you're saying it would have been better to keep him for the year and then cut his scholarship next year?

I don't know the details, but I'm just saying that the story that Patterson is the devil for doing this is really not the only plausible story.
No. The "virtuous" thing would have been to NOT sign another rb this late in the process- thereby taking this guy's expected chance at playing time. Now he's likely f*d in getting a decent power 5 scholarship.

Of course cfb is big business and I understand what they are doing and A&M likely would have done the same. But call a spade a spade.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Jimbo does not play around. If he intends to sign multiple RBs, he will tell that to RB recruits. IF Jimbo promises not to sign more at a position, he keeps that promise. That is one of the reasons Jimbo has credibility.

Not saying that Patterson played around, either.
wbt5845
AG
What TCU did here is common. Very likely had a heart to heart with the kid about his chances to see the field. TCU likely would have honored the scholarship offer - but the kid wants to play (duh).

Yeah, opposing coaches can use this against TCU when courting future recruits. Big woo.
Amarillo Slim
AG
BDub3 said:

4 said:

pv said:

Jimbo let Jefferson sign when he obviously could have gone out and got a better player with that scholarship. Said once a kid is committed to him, he's committed to the kid. Jimbo wouldn't have done this.
Karma can be a beautiful thing and something tells me Mr. Jefferson will make us all proud he is an Aggie!
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
FrecklesDad
AG
Not true, according to Billy, he tried to sign with us before TCU and we had no room for him. He missed it by not signing in February.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.