Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Some old photos of Kyle Field

9,484 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by West Point Aggie
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In order to celebrate the fact that Texags is now hosting photos, I took some captures of images from old A&M yearbooks, mainly looking for photos related to the baseball field, but came across some Kyle Field photos that are kind of rare that I thought worth sharing, too.

In 1921, Kyle Field was just sets of wooden bleachers on the sidelines of the football field (no track).

In 1927, the west sideline was rebuilt in concrete, the first part of the horseshoe, but the other stands were still wood for two more years

The track was moved to the football field in '27 or '28, as you can see from the photo immediately above, taken in '28, which shows the track and a set of wooden bleachers behind the track in the north endzone. That area used to serve as part of a 220 yard straighaway, running west, which joined a track that shared the baseball grandstand for track spectators through most of the '20s.

Here is a 1928 meet at the football field, with Deware Fieldhouse in the background

In 1929, the horeshoe was completed.

In this 1932 aerial, you can see the situation of the athletic facilities, after the baseball field was moved to the southwest corner of the plot that Professor Kyle had fenced off back in 1905.

I've got a few interesting shots that I don't see posted often (if ever) on the internet.

The FTAB in the stands in 1934.

FDR's visit in the 1937-38 school year.

A photo of the west stands in 1941

An aerial photo in 1951 (it says 1952, but that's the yearbook issue)

A couple of color shots from the '50s

And a really rare shot showing the west side extension that was built following the 1953 season. This section (except for the press box) was covered over in the 1967 renovation, but they kept the press box until 1979, and the restrooms that were built at the bottom of this extension (top of the old first deck) were still in place until the last Kyle Field renovation. This photo was taken in 1961.

I've never heard en explanation for why these seats were obliterated in '67, after only 14 seasons. Maybe the sightlines weren't good? It would have been interesting to see Kyle Field with that kind of addition, rather than the cantilevered decks.
WhereItsWarm
AG
Great work. I love old photos
tarrantcountyag
Aggie
Quad Dog
AG
The Cushing Library has their entire photo collection online. Here's just the Kyle Field album.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cushinglibrary/sets/72157622744370403/
VatoLocoAggie
Good Bull
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
PLUM LOCO
AG
Thanks. Great shots of history.

Quote:

There is an NBC banner hanging on the Outhouse\Press Box in that photo.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I enjoy looking through the old yearbooks online to find little nuggets of gold from the past.

Here is a classic image of Kyle Field from 1917-18, which fits right in with the mentality of TexAgs!

West Point Aggie
AG
Isn't there a photo when Kyle had an end zone in tu Orange with just texas on it? 50s?

If that happened nowadays the exploding heads would be heard all over the state!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
West Point Aggie
AG
Speaking of Kyle...I wonder if they fully fixed their 12th Man sign...the exposed concrete and metal gray background just looked bad! They "fixed" something that was fine as it was!
Let’s Go Brandon!
OldArmy71
AG
It may have happened in other years, but in the 1967 game, tu's end zone was orange and ours was maroon. Looked good!
CyberWCM
I like the photo showing the baseball field at the SW corner of Kyle Field. I think it was still there in the early 70s when I attended.
milner79
ABATTBQ87 said:

I enjoy looking through the old yearbooks online to find little nuggets of gold from the past.

Here is a classic image of Kyle Field from 1917-18, which fits right in with the mentality of TexAgs!

What? No lazy river?!
twk
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Thanks. Great shots of history.

Quote:

There is an NBC banner hanging on the Outhouse\Press Box in that photo.
I don't think that press box was exactly up to modern OSHA standards.
West Point Aggie
AG
Wasn't there a "ghost" deck at Kyle that got covered over by new construction? (Or am I imagining that)?
Let’s Go Brandon!
twk
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Wasn't there a "ghost" deck at Kyle that got covered over by new construction? (Or am I imagining that)?
Yes, that extension of the west stands that you see in the 1961 photo was covered over by the 1967 upper deck. The press box remained, and this required that West deck to be built at a shallower rake than the one on the East side.
West Point Aggie
AG
twk said:

West Point Aggie said:

Yes, that extension of the west stands that you see in the 1961 photo was covered over by the 1967 upper deck. The press box remained, and this required that West deck to be built at a shallower rake than the one on the East side.

Wait? That WHOLE structure remained??
Let’s Go Brandon!
twk
AG
West Point Aggie said:

twk said:

West Point Aggie said:

Let's see if I can make that link work from the Cushing collection (there is a link to the collection, above)

They took off the risers, but left the rakers and the press box. Also left the restrooms.

West Point Aggie
AG
twk said:

West Point Aggie said:

twk said:

West Point Aggie said:

Let's see if I can make that link work from the Cushing collection (there is a link to the collection, above)

They took off the risers, but left the rakers and the press box. Also left the restrooms.

Wow! Much nicer now! I believe even now Kyle has a 1967, 1980, 1998, 2014 and 2015 parts...just a much swankier hodgepodge
Let’s Go Brandon!
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

I believe even now Kyle has a 1967, 1980, 1998, 2014 and 2015 parts
not sure if any of 1967 remodel exists

1980 part is the east side 3rd deck

1998 part is the Zone

2014-15 is obvious
twk
AG
East second deck was built over two years, 1967 and 1968.
W
AG
one comment...

with as much time, effort, and care that has been put into Kyle Field over the last 90+ years...why did the program play so few home games (until Jackie arrived in 1982)?

Jackie started the approach of playing 6 or 7 home games every year and really taking advantage of the home field. It's a quiet part of his legacy.

during Emory's time in the 70's, A&M usually played 5 home games per year (in an 11-game schedule). But in some seasons in the 60's, the Ags only played 3 home games (in a 10-game schedule). And played at Rice and at Houston in the same season.

I suppose there were financial and/or practical reasons for playing so few home games, but that was a very tough way to build a winning program

OldArmy71
AG
We played half of our conference games at home.

However, prior to the mid-to-late 70s we were a "guaranteed home win" for LSU and a lot of other programs. We were like a directional school who travels to the big boys' houses to take a loss and to make ourselves some money.
twk
AG
W said:

one comment...

with as much time, effort, and care that has been put into Kyle Field over the last 90+ years...why did the program play so few home games (until Jackie arrived in 1982)?

Jackie started the approach of playing 6 or 7 home games every year and really taking advantage of the home field. It's a quiet part of his legacy.

during Emory's time in the 70's, A&M usually played 5 home games per year (in an 11-game schedule). But in some seasons in the 60's, the Ags only played 3 home games (in a 10-game schedule). And played at Rice and at Houston in the same season.

I suppose there were financial and/or practical reasons for playing so few home games, but that was a very tough way to build a winning program

Back before the '80s, the home team used to split the gate with the visitors 50/50. So, it made financial sense to take the payday from playing on the road at large venues. That's why we always played at Baton Rouge (Emory Bellard put a stop to that). Bear Bryant signed a 10 year contract for us to play every year at Rice; with 70,000 seats, an A&M game at Rice would draw about as many Aggie fans as one at 40,000 seat Kyle Field, and generate a greater profit for the AD. It may have been shortsighted thinking, but it was pretty common at the time. Auburn didn't play Alabama at Auburn until 1989, as an example.
W
AG
Good info.

the ending of the LSU road series after the 1975 game...really helped in finally getting the schedule balanced.

A&M played 6 home games (perhaps for the first time ever) in 1976.

after the 1972 season, Emory put an end to the road trips to Ohio State, Nebraska, and Michigan (except the 77 game).

the 1969 season was the low point. The Ags only played 3 home games vs. Baylor, SMU, and t.u.
Starting in 1970 A&M began playing 5 home games each season
Micah97
AG
Before the latest renovation, I walked under the east side stands at ground level. The original (I assume the original) East side facade when Kyle fiield was just one level was still intact. The facade, the ramps up to the seating area, men's and women's restrooms. A shame it had to be demolished.

I never knew it was still there.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
46or47- old scoreboard needed replacing - but AD did nothing.

One night somebody burned it down. New one looked much better !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
818386AG
AG
What was the original use of the small one-story building that was just north of Kyle Field from 1929 (or before) to at least 1978? By 1978 it was The Aggie Club.
OldArmy71
AG
I remember the West Side addition. My family and I attended the 1959 game with Texas. We sat in what I remember as "box" seats right at the junction where the extension began.
12thmanfootball
AG
Kyle Field Timelapse
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Fascinating to think about the recent renovation as just another in a long line of redos. We tend to think of it as Kyle Field old, and Kyle Field new, but it's really been a steadily changing and evolving venue...

..which leads one to realize that one day, we'll look at the current Kyle Field and it will seem like ancient history as we redo Kyle field for the umpteenth time.

What will be next?
twk
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Fascinating to think about the recent renovation as just another in a long line of redos. We tend to think of it as Kyle Field old, and Kyle Field new, but it's really been a steadily changing and evolving venue...

..which leads one to realize that one day, we'll look at the current Kyle Field and it will seem like ancient history as we redo Kyle field for the umpteenth time.

What will be next?
I can't see any further expansion of seating capacity, ever. We've reached peak live attendance, and since the size of the playing field never increases, you can only build seats so far away before the market for those seats turns to nothing. Frankly, this covid crap has shown how vulnerable college athletics really is, finanically. When we pay off the bonds that were issued for the last project, the AD will breathe a big sigh of relief.

What I do see, going forward, is probably some tinkering with the existing structure, such as replacing all bench seating, outside the student section, with armchairs. We overbuilt the stadium a bit, so the few thousand seats lost would be addition by subtraction, making it easier to sell season tickets.
W
AG
could add luxury boxes/suites on the student side someday
West Point Aggie
AG
W said:

could add luxury boxes/suites on the student side someday

Aren't there boxes between the first and second deck that weren't there before 2014??
Let’s Go Brandon!
W
AG
squeeze in a few more between the 2nd & 3rd decks
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.