Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

3* TE Landen King decommits from t.u.

8,351 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slamn Sharpe
maver1ck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
King was an A&M target before choosing texas. It looks like he's going to ultimately pick Auburn though.

I usually enjoy the sips' annual decommitment szn, but I think this one may be bad news for us. Demetrius Davis and Landen King both flipping to Auburn is going to have some serious pull on Shadrach Banks. I'm not usually pessimistic at all about our recruiting, but staff is going to have to work hard until NSD to keep him in this class.

Slamn Sharpe
If he wants to increase his chances of playing in the NFL, A&M and Auburn are the better choice
Agsuffering@bulaw
If you told me that I could choose between:

A. Landen King decommits from tu in a week, commits to Auburn, signs with Auburn on ESD
B. Let it ride (while curently committed to tu)

I would have chosen A and not thought twice. tu is a far bigger recruiting nemesis than Auburn and will be for the foreseeable future. That run of decommits last year was just glorious and killed their momentum.

IF we can't close a recruit b/c hs teammate and another area friend pick Auburn, we dont deserve to close him.
Gil Renard
AG
Nipple twister gonna nipple twist
Nino Brown
I thought we got all kids from Atascocita while Stump is there.
AggieBlu
AG
He committed to the sips and got a 17 point bump. He knows the 247 system works I'm favor of sip commits. Smart kid!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
TexanJeff
AG
If Banks decommits and continues our streak of eleventy billion years without signing a player from North Shore norm one will be surprised.

If we keep him, I hope he does well at A&M
levypantsEOY
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

A. Landen King decommits from tu in a week, commits to Auburn, signs with Auburn on ESD

I would have chosen A and not thought twice. tu is a far bigger recruiting nemesis than Auburn and will be for the foreseeable future. That run of decommits last year was just glorious and killed their momentum.

IF we can't close a recruit b/c hs teammate and another area friend pick Auburn, we dont deserve to close him.

Lol. So youd rather a potential stud recruit sign with a team we are going to play every season than with a team who we will never play because... tu is a far bigger nemesis?? What are you talking about?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Lol. So youd rather a potential stud recruit sign with a team we are going to play every season than with a team who we will never play because... tu is a far bigger nemesis?? What are you talking about?

What do you mean we?
PneumAg
Champ Bailey said:

levypantsEOY said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

What do you mean we?

NOBODY CAN BE AN AGGIE UNLESS THEY HAVE THE RIGHT PIXELS NEXT TO THEIR PRETEND NAME ON THE INTERNET
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
PneumAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

levypantsEOY said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

What do you mean we?

NOBODY CAN BE AN AGGIE UNLESS THEY HAVE THE RIGHT PIXELS NEXT TO THEIR PRETEND NAME ON THE INTERNET

Ok Lat. he's a known sip troll.
PneumAg
Champ Bailey said:

PneumAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

levypantsEOY said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

What do you mean we?

Ok Lat. he's a known sip troll.

I'm not Lat, but Lat is a good dude.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Oh really? Hadn't seen his handle around in a while, and you got the Tool connection, so I assumed.

Look up Levy's post history if you don't believe me. He's always defending the sips.
levypantsEOY
Champ Bailey said:

Oh really? Hadn't seen his handle around in a while, and you got the Tool connection, so I assumed.

Look up Levy's post history if you don't believe me. He's always defending the sips.

By "defending the sips" you mean arguing with you and your ilk regarding renewing the rivalry. Anyone who wants to curb stomp sippy is an automatic sip troll, as is anyone who would rather have a great recruit go to sippy as opposed to a program we play every year.

Your rationale is amazing.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

So youd rather a potential stud recruit sign with a team we are going to play every season than with a team who we will never play because... tu is a far bigger nemesis?

I. The sips are the primary competition for most TX recruits

II. Decommits hurt recruiting momentum and could cause ripple

III. Auburn is a lesser threat
A. no single non-QB is likely to swing a game
B. Auburn would get somebody else almost as good
C. Auburn might cherry-pick, but will never run this state

IV. Auburn is part of the SEC, some indirect benefit for us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TLDR Details:

Why the sips are the biggest threat:

The sips are the primary competitor for just about every local recruit. Anything that makes them look bad is probably worth another recruit for us at some point. Do you remember the decade when Butterteeth ran recruiting in this state? Something like that could happen again. The SEC brand gives us some hedge, but not a firewall.

Decommits just look bad and hurt recruiting momentum- we like the sips to get hurt

Why Auburn is such a lesser threat:

The liklihood of any single non-QB swinging the trajectory of a game is low. A high impact non-QB is worth 1-2 points in a betting line, unless his replacement is terrible (like going from Erik McCoy to Colton Prater). The liklihood of a 4* getting drafted is ~20-25%. But if they didnt get him, they only lose much in his replacement (The analysis changes on 5*s). Auburn should always recruit a decent baseline.

Auburn is unlikely to ever do more than cherry-pick a few TX recruits each year.

Yr: # TXHS recruits who signed with Auburn

20: 2
19: 0
18: 0
17: 0
16: 1

Last sub-point: he committed to sip over us, we were probably not going to get him. A&M is not for everybody. So where would he go?

Final point: we want them to be good 11/12 games a year, b/c they are part of the SEC brand.
Agvet12
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Champ Bailey said:

By "defending the sips" you mean arguing with you and your ilk regarding renewing the rivalry. Anyone who wants to curb stomp sippy is an automatic sip troll, as is anyone who would rather have a great recruit go to sippy as opposed to a program we play every year.

Your rationale is amazing.

Yes constantly e-defending the sips is a rational thing to do when one is one.

But keep on keeping on, you'll keep fooling some rookies every now and again lol
ABATTBQ11
AG
Just became a 2*
Gil Renard
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Just became a 2*

It's what they do - waaaaa were Texas drop him!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
AggieBlu said:

He committed to the sips and got a 17 point bump. He knows the 247 system works I'm favor of sip commits. Smart kid!
When when y'all understand that stars don't help players and teams at all?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
You know, if Texas loses a player that we're not going to get, it really doesn't make anything better for us. All it means is now they have another spot open to be filled by a player we want. If that player leaves Texas for an annual opponent on our schedule that makes it worse.
Slamn Sharpe
He's still listed as a 3 star for those that care
monarch
S
Hope he does well wherever he ends up...
Sparkie
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

AggieBlu said:

Why does Saban spend more time recruiting 5/4 stars over 3 stars if it doesn't matter?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Sparkie said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

AggieBlu said:

Why does Saban spend more time recruiting 5/4 stars over 3 stars if it doesn't matter?
Lol I'd to think there's a difference between what Bama is doing with their recruiting and what Texas is doing, don't you think? Bama goes out and grabs pretty much whoever they want. They evaluate great talent and sign great talent. A lot of you seem to think that every time Texas lures an average player and calls them a great player that it's going to make them a great team.

Over the last decade Texas pulled in the 5th most 4* and 5* players in the country while having 4 losing seasons. Their "talent" is among the elite schools that have all either made the CFB Playoff, or played for a championship before the playoff.

Now, maybe if 247 had given them a few more stars they could have won a few more games? Ha- no.
Slamn Sharpe
Im pretty sure you know what he meant. Saban wins with 4 and 5 star players

t.u signs a bunch of guys that are actually 3 star but get the 4 star bump. This random bump is done to help build momentum. The people that own or run the rivals site have ties to that program. Their 4 star guys commited to t.u arent actually 4 stars in the eyes of Saban
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

if Texas loses a player that we're not going to get, it really doesn't make anything better for us. All it means is now they have another spot open to be filled by a player we want. If that player leaves Texas for an annual opponent on our schedule that makes it worse.

The upside is huge. There is some small chance it bites us. Such is life.

A non-qb's presence/absence almost never turns games between big P5s, unless pre-existing depth problems. A 4* is ~ 20-25% chance to be an impact player sometime in the next 5 years.

However, a decommit avalanche can collapse a program. The sips are already vulnerable after last year's.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And all that is true, but the key is looking at the offers. When his next best offer is Arizona St, you know he got bumped. Landen King got offered by Jimbo, Saban and Gus. He must have potential, which is probably why he punched from the sips.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Im pretty sure you know what he meant. Saban wins with 4 and 5 star players

t.u signs a bunch of guys that are actually 3 star but get the 4 star bump. This random bump is done to help build momentum. The people that own or run the rivals sight have ties to that program. Their 4 star guys commited to t.u arent actually 4 stars in the eyes of Saban
What he meant is exactly what my response is about. Y'all keep saying that it "builds momentum" and all this crap. Again, look at the results. Has all this "momentum" really helped Texas? They are the most underachieving team in college football based on the recruiting rankings. If Texas is satisfied with recruiting 3 star talent and calling it 4/5 star talent again, that is not a good thing for them.
Slamn Sharpe
Offer list AND when the kid gave his verbal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.