Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who is the Aggies *2nd* Biggest Rival?

13,648 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hogfan14
tancroom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw a thread on r/CFB earlier today asking who fans thought their 2nd biggest football rival was. I considered it an easy/stupid question until I really thought about it.
If you consider "old"/recently unplayed rivalries, there's a lot of interesting options. What's y'all's take?
Ag4coal
Good question. Not really sure. I hope it becomes LSU though. Good regional matchup. And it means we are actually good consistently for the first time since the 90s
Falsedawn
AG
Historical:
t.u.
Arkansas

Current:
Arkansas
LSU

Just my thoughts
HarveyBirdman
AG
LSU

Rival has nothing to do with how good the respective teams are. It boils down to dislike/hatred. LSU would be our 2nd biggest rival IMO. Arky is close
Gil Renard
AG
LSU especially if we win this year and take 2/3. Arkansas of course but LSU has the makings of a really big rivalry. It used to be and will be again sooner than later
West Point Aggie
AG
Arky and LSU makes sense...
Let’s Go Brandon!
Reno Hightower
Pig or swamp cat....flip a coin
Slamn Sharpe
LSU with Arkansas trailing
cajunaggie08
AG
Perhaps I'm an out-of-touch old, but do yall really view Arkansas as a rival? Now I get it, we play them every year in a neutral site game and its usually close. But they still dont move the needle for me. Maybe it has to do with living in Houston and not having that many Arkansas fans around to interact/smack talk with. It may also be because we havent lost to them since 2011 and its hard to hate someone you beat every year. I'm sure I'll come around after they start winning some of those matchups.
Slamn Sharpe
cajunaggie08 said:

Perhaps I'm an out-of-touch old, but do yall really view Arkansas as a rival? Now I get it, we play them every year in a neutral site game and its usually close. But they still dont move the needle for me. Maybe it has to do with living in Houston and not having that many Arkansas fans around to interact/smack talk with. It may also be because we havent lost to them since 2011 and its hard to hate someone you beat every year. I'm sure I'll come around after they start winning some of those matchups.

Arkansas hates all things Texas. From what I've been told they hate t.u more than A&M but that was years ago and it might be changing

I hate Arkansas!
West Point Aggie
AG
arKANSAS people do hate everything Texas...and that's place is like a more southern version of methahoma.
Let’s Go Brandon!
Falsedawn
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I'm not an old (I don't remember the SWC), but that 2009-2011 streak where Bobby Petrino was putting hands on us every year solidified it for me to be honest. Without those games, our current winning streak against them means nothing. I want to beat the hell out of them like we beat the hell out of Baylor every year.

I really HATE LSU, but losing to them means that the better team came out ahead. Losing to Arkansas is the hallmark of a horrible season. Pack it in, we're done for the year.
cajunaggie08
AG
Those years where we lost to Petrino's Arkansas teams I mostly viewed it as us losing to the better team. Dont get me wrong, that 2009 game straight up sucked to be at. But I wasn't shocked we lost. 2011 stung a lot as it fit the narrative of blowing 2nd half leads. So I can admit I took a lot of joy beating them when we became conference opponents. Now that its been 8 years in a row of beating them, its somewhat hard to hate the guys. But you're right. I would rather lose to mississippi state than to give Arkansas the please of snapping their losing streak. Ok you convinced me. They are a rival.
W
AG
1. LSU
2. Arkansas

or

1. Arkansas
2. LSU
W
AG
in the decades of the 70's & 80's...the team that put the most painful losses on the Ags were the Razorbacks.

the 75 loss prevented A&M from going to the Cotton Bowl and playing for the national title.

the 88 loss prevented A&M from claiming the SWC title.

the 89 loss prevented A&M from going to the Cotton Bowl.

the Ags denied the Hogs trips to the Cotton Bowl in 1985 & 1987.

it was a heck of a series from 1975 to 77 and 1985 to 89 --- every game had championship implications
Ugly
AG
I'm assuming that the only reason no one has mentioned South Carolina is because it is obviously the #1 spot here, right? Obviously...
W
AG
South Carolina...that's why folks can't always say that the A&M program has bad luck.

the Ags have a 6-game winning streak over the Gamecocks (2014-2019).

the 3 years prior to the crossdivision series starting...South Carolina went 11-2, 11-2, and 11-2 including 3 wins over Clemson.

that was really good timing on A&M's part
PatAg
AG
Texas and then probably Oklahoma or Texas Tech
Athanasius
AG
t.u.
LSU
Arky
then Damned 'Ol TexTech
Slamn Sharpe
Ugly said:

I'm assuming that the only reason no one has mentioned South Carolina is because it is obviously the #1 spot here, right? Obviously...

USCe is my #3 personally. Seeing how they got all twisted over yell, throwing fbombs during yell etc.. I've never recovered from that. Then there is the stupid rooster sound they blast a couple dozen times a game it seems.

USCe is the only fan base more sensitive than A&M
JJxvi
AG
A&M's biggest rivals historically are Texas and Baylor. Currently, Texas and LSU. Or LSU, and I guess Arkansas if there has to be a game.

Baylor has historically been deflated, and Tech inflated in the minds of many by football results for roughly the 20 year period before we left the conference with those two.
greg.w.h
AG
LSU
Bama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida (all sports other than football)
Carolina
Gil Renard
AG
If A&M gets on track and gets the Bama monkey of our backs that's another one with so many ties and history of the curse of the bear
ghowe
AG
2nd biggest, I wish we had A biggest.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
It's always been LSU.
1. Texas
2. LSU
3. ... anybody else
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
VatoLocoAggie
Ags Historical Rivals
1 tu
2 gaylor
3 tceh
4 LSU
5 Bama
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Ag4coal
Second time I've seen baylor. Don't we own the series like 69-31? Was it competitive at some point?
10PennyNail
AG
Nobody has any hate for South Carolina?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Currently? It's LSU. I don't care if we play or not until a ****load of things change around here, Texas is still our rival. Arkansas is a very close 3rd. The problem with both teams is we just don't have enough history with them yet. And yeah I know we used to play a long time ago but 20 years of not meeting on the field kinda erases a lot of things.

Back in the Big 12 I always thought Tech was our #2 in that they gave us a lot of problems and I hated their team and fanbase. I never felt Baylor was that close on account that their team was terrible and I hardly knew any Baylor fans that admitted to it.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
10PennyNail said:

Correct lol
JJxvi
AG
Ag4coal said:

Second time I've seen baylor. Don't we own the series like 69-31? Was it competitive at some point?

We won like 20 in a row at both the end and beginning, so yes it was competitive between the 20's and mid 80s. Also rivalries arent all about football games. Baylor has been a very competitive and close rival in many sports
NyAggie
AG
Even though we don't play them, tu is still our biggest rival

After that, it's LSU

I view Arkansas like I used to view tech; we should beat them most of the time but they make our game such a big deal that it's always tougher than it should be
maver1ck
AG
Ag4coal said:

Yeah, I think Baylor's won 4 times in the last 30 matchups. There's no rivalry
Slamn Sharpe
OldShadeOfBlue said:

10PennyNail said:

Correct lol

Incorrect

Read the responses
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.