Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Little Stadiums

6,563 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UTExan
TennesseeVol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just watched on YouTube about the stadiums in the major conferences. There's one on the Pac, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC. All stadiums of these are covered.

Have you seen how small many of the ACC's, PAC and the lower level Big Tens are? Unbelievable! Look for this on YouTube.
TXAggie2011
AG
Suck up
West Point Aggie
AG
Without watching I'm going to guess said video is accompanied by irritating music that's just a tad too loud!
Let’s Go Brandon!
PlanoAg98
AG
Can you just post the YouTube links for us?
VatoLocoAggie
We are truly spoiled.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Snake
AG
Thanks for the link!
Win At Life
AG
I was always told that size doesn't matter.
Meximan
TXAggie2011 said:

Suck up

He ain't wrong, though. Pac 12 stadiums look like Texas high school stadiums.

Actually scratch that; Texas high school stadiums are bigger.
BuffsAg47
AG
I've seen games in a lot of stadiums, but Folsom is still my absolute favorite (other than Kyle Field).
Skull Session
Folsom prison stadium?
Slamn Sharpe
PAC 12 stadiums are small because they don't have near the fan base that SEC and Big10 fan bases do. Their weather is cold and rainy as well in the locations of many of those programs.

Imagine the cost of a 110k capacity stadium with a roof on it.
ghowe
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

PAC 12 stadiums are small because they don't have near the fan base that SEC and Big10 fan bases do. Their weather is cold and rainy as well in the locations of many of those programs.

Have you been to California, Arizona, Boulder or Salt Lake City in the fall? weather isn't their attendance problem.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Mighty, legendary, football crazed and historically powerful Iowa State has the 3rd largest stadium in the little 12......
Slamn Sharpe
ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Have you been to California, Arizona, Boulder or Salt Lake City in the fall? weather isn't their attendance problem.

I like how you stop the bold before "as well in the locations of many of those programs." As in, some programs like washington, washington st, Oregon, Oregon St

Then there is the point I made about the size of their fan bases. Please compare the vast majority of any and every Pac 12 program to UT, UGA, A&M, Bama, Auburn, USCe, UF, LSU, Arkansas

AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
North Carolinians (I'm in the Triangle, so UNC, NCSU, and Duke fans) really hate it when I tell them their stadiums are cute.
ghowe
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

I like how you stop the bold before "as well in the locations of many of those programs." As in, some programs like washington, washington st, Oregon, Oregon St

Then there is the point I made about the size of their fan bases. Please compare the vast majority of any and every Pac 12 program to UT, UGA, A&M, Bama, Auburn, USCe, UF, LSU, Arkansas

You should have stopped after the first sentence. Which is factual. Then it would seem you go on to try and explain why. I merely point out weather has absolutely nothing to do with it.
PlanoAg98
AG
Washington State is almost 300 miles inland and does not get the rainy weather that Seattle (U of W) gets.
Uncle Jimbo
I know this probably won't go over well here, but having a massive stadium is totally overrated, and I still can't believe our leadership invested what they did just a few years ago.

In an era where attendance is dwindling and fan experience is worsening, spending a half a billion dollars on a massive stadium for 6-7 days a year (that we rarely even fill) was incredibly short-sighted.

When fans can sit and watch every game in the comforts of their own home in high definition, with their own beer and food, there's absolutely no incentive to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of your day or weekend to sit in the far reaches of a cavernous stadium to watch a game you can barely see and definitely don't feel like you're a part of.

Creating a smaller, more intimate fan experience that makes you actually feel closer to the action would have been a much smarter move.

PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

When fans can sit and watch every game in the comforts of their own home in high definition, with their own beer and food, there's absolutely no incentive to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of your day or weekend to sit in the far reaches of a cavernous stadium to watch a game you can barely see and definitely don't feel like you're a part of.
To each his own. I like the road trip down, the tailgate, and the crowd. That you cannot get sitting at home.
Ag4coal
Uncle Jimbo said:

I know this probably won't go over well here, but having a massive stadium is totally overrated, and I still can't believe our leadership invested what they did just a few years ago.

In an era where attendance is dwindling and fan experience is worsening, spending a half a billion dollars on a massive stadium for 6-7 days a year (that we rarely even fill) was incredibly short-sighted.

Creating a smaller, more intimate fan experience that makes you actually feel closer to the action would have been a much smarter move.

While I 100% agree with you and would take my couch of over tickets 10/10 times, roughly 100,000 people don't, and that's all we need. The seat may not be filled for Sam Houston, but when the big boys come to town, it's loaded. And that's all the athletic department needs for it to be worth it.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

Alabama, Texas A&M and LSU were three of only six programs nationally to exceed 100,000 at home on average this fall
- Sharp is also expanding enrollment relatively quickly, which results in more and more former students each year. A small percentage wanting to continue to see games in person can sell a lot of tickets.
- Before they built New Kyle, they sent out a survey. I told them I didn't want a huge increase in price, and they provided cheap seats in the end zone. I appreciate them satisfying my needs.

t.u. is reducing the size of their stadium because they're having attendance problems lately. Their attendance went from 98k to 96k. Our attendance went from 100k to 102k last year. Expansion of the stadium was the right move at the time and I think Kyle will continue to be mostly full for conference games.

I think the price of oil is a bigger threat to our attendance than the convenience of watching on TV.

* attendance figures are paid attendance
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Washington State doesn't have a rain problem. So now you're talking about three out of twelve schools. And Washington has no problem getting people in their stadium with the rain.

And FYI, the rain is not the issue. I lived outside of Seattle for four years while in the Navy. I'd take their weather any day of the week over the humidity of the gulf coast. It's not like what we have down here. I never heard it thunder one time in four years up there. Storms like we have don't exist. Most times it's a light drizzle for about 15 minutes then nothing.
Slamn Sharpe
ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

You should have stopped after the first sentence. Which is factual. Then it would seem you go on to try and explain why. I merely point out weather has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So smaller fan bases dont mind standing in 50 degree weather while its drizzling? They're not passionate about football like we are. I've been to Oregon and in July we were wearing jackets at night

I've seen Pac12 games in November and December where its snowing hard. There was one last year involving Washington I believe.

Again, they're just not passionate like us Southerners are
Agsuffering@bulaw
Yes. Stadium size is the best quick-stat for knowing who is and who is not. A few years ago, I would have set the bar at 80k, but some have downsized. ND's stadium is now at 77k. Stadium size is a good indicator of fan support.

Every now and then, you hear have-nots spouting off about their bright future. They dont get how demographically screwed they are.
fightinag
Meximan said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Suck up

He ain't wrong, though. Pac 12 stadiums look like Texas high school stadiums.

Actually scratch that; Texas high school stadiums are bigger.
San Marcos High Schools stadium is HUGE !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
regio
TennesseeVol said:

Just watched on YouTube about the stadiums in the major conferences. There's one on the Pac, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC. All stadiums of these are covered.

Have you seen how small many of the ACC's, PAC and the lower level Big Tens are? Unbelievable! Look for this on YouTube.

No
ghowe
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

So smaller fan bases dont mind standing in 50 degree weather while its drizzling? They're not passionate about football like we are. I've been to Oregon and in July we were wearing jackets at night

I've seen Pac12 games in November and December where its snowing hard. There was one last year involving Washington I believe.

ghowe
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Sorry don't know what just happen there, my window seemed to crash as I pressed post. Not to best a dead horse like a couple 10 year olds, but...

75% of the PAC has awesome weather. I would say despite the weather they have poor attendance.
Sbisa Chef
Ag4coal said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

While I 100% agree with you and would take my couch of over tickets 10/10 times, roughly 100,000 people don't, and that's all we need. The seat may not be filled for Sam Houston, but when the big boys come to town, it's loaded. And that's all the athletic department needs for it to be worth it.
I dunno. Watching a game with 100,000 of your 'frwez" is a pretty badass weekend. Not many places I'd rather be on a Saturday.

Hoping for my maroon blazer and season tickets under the shade when I'm 85. Yeah, I'm that guy.
Win At Life
AG
I big one that's half flaccid and quits before the game is over, just leaves the home team frustrated. But a small stadium that's packed in real hard and jumping with enthusiasm until the game is finished really get's the home team's juices flowing.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
TennesseeVol said:

Look for this on YouTube.
UTExan
ghowe said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Can't speak for others, but Utah sells out every game. Rice-Eccles stadium is basically built on a mountain range and cannot expand much although the Utah administration is planning to do just that. The SEC doesn't have much climate diversity and is in a relatively small geographic area. The PAC 12 has hot desert, high cool alpine regions/ deserts, coastal Mediterranean style climates in SoCal and temperate marine/rain forest climate in the Pacific Northwest stretching from Mexico to Canada.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Agsuffering@bulaw
Climate has nothing to do with the first 10-11 weeks of the season. It's hot as hades in most of SEC country in September. Most PAC programs are in or near major cities. The average Ag probably drives 2-3 hours for a game.

The bigger pac programs just have (metaphorically speaking) fair-weathered fans. UCLA and USC will draw huge against a big opponent and/or when they are highly ranked. They cant get 50k when they are down against an uninspiring opponent.

I assume that most of the conference has inconsistent attendence b/c their fans suck. UCLA's are the worst in that regard. Or some like Cal's just suck period. I guess that's what happens w/ a bunch of America-hating delinquents

I looked at Arizona State's 2019 attendence. Expectations were low. Year 2 of Herm, went 7-6 in year 1.

-85% capacity for opener vs Kent State
-less than 80% for Sacramento St
-just over 80% for Colorado after having won a big game in Lansing and being ranked
-just over 85% for WSU, ASU was ranked 18 coming into the game
-sold out USC
-over 90% for #6 Oregon
-sold out AZ

The better SEC programs can count on steady 90% or better. Utah may be an exception, and maybe Oregon is too. Most of them are crap.
cajunaggie08
AG
those percentages look like Kyle Field's attendance during the Fran era. Before the SEC move our department was considering reducing Kyle Field's capacity to include more suites.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Maybe, but look at 2009. Expectations were very low and we took several bad losses early. We were coming off probably the worst season in a generation. Plus, a 55k stadium probably has better site lines than old Kyle did.

-85% NM
-85% Utah St
-just under 90 for UAB
-over 90% for ranked Okie Lite, after a beating in Jerryworld
-85% for Iowa St
-99% for baylor, coming off a 65-10 loss @ ou, and a blown 21-10 halftime lead @ cu
-102% for tu

We were never worse than 85% in a year where we suffered 3 really bad losses (bowl excluded). Not commendable, but those were dark days.

And 08 was better:

-over 90% for Arkie St
-over capacity for Miami
-over capacity for Army
-over 90% for kState
-104% for TBAT
-over 90% for CU
-over capacity for ou

Then 10, when expectations were only a little higher:

-95% for SFA
-90% for La Tech
-Sold out for ranked Mizzou
-Sold out for TBAT
-95% for ou
-108% for Nebraska
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.