Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What players talents were the most wasted in aggie history

20,089 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Red Leader
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sarduakar said:

RealTalk said:

Sarduakar said:

Brandon stewart. He played better than Peyton at Tennessee but lost because of the name.
Obviously, Tennessee made the right choice.

Stewart couldn't even beat out Randy McCown.

This kind of proves the point that A&M ruined his potential. Heck we probably ruined Randy's as well considering his brothers.
Or maybe he was overrated out of high school.
vander54
S
BoxingAg84 said:

Trey Williams - underutilized
Trent Driver - all world talent, supplanted by an unheralded recruit named "Fat Dat"

BONE-HEADS
Yemi Babalola
Isiah Golden
Darian Claiborne
Thomas Johnson

Wouldn't call some with mental issues a bone head.
pilgrim82
AG
rcb05 said:

pilgrim82 said:

Stephen McGee...why do you take a guy with NFL QB talent and turn him into a battering ram running back...only Little Debbie knows.
Watch his NFL tape and you'll find the answer.
Not your best answer, had way more than enough arm talent to light up the Big12.
HTownAg
AG
C@LAg said:

JFF.

No championship either year.
Thanks to no defense either year
dixichkn
AG
Any other answer than Reggie McNeal is incorrect. Although you could make a case for Trey Williams
D`Funkaladu`
AG
Johnny.... by Johnny.

What could have been.
MaroonStain
AG
HTownAg said:

C@LAg said:

JFF.

If we had 2012 defense the last two seasons, we would have two 10-win season FWIW.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

t.u came out for the game completely unprepared because they were expecting a Coach Fran type of game.

If so, then that is a terrible indictment of their coaching staff.

Prep for what looks threatening on film in case they do accidentally call it. You tell your players that they may not call it, but it is a potential match-up problem if they do. Its not like Les Koening drew up an entirely new playbook in the 12 days he had to prep for the game. They had to have seen most of the plays we ran on film at least once.
HTownAg
AG
MaroonStain said:

HTownAg said:

C@LAg said:

JFF.

If we had 2012 defense the last two seasons, we would have two 10-win season FWIW.
I stand corrected. I agree with you about 2012 defense, 2013 defense is a different story
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Quote:

What players talents were the most wasted in aggie history

Clearly, it was Sanjay.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Saint Pablo
Ag4coal said:

tjholley16 said:

Sparkie said:

tjholley16 said:

Gil Renard said:

Kyler got exposed against his one test in Bama. 1st year he didn't light it up. Jury still out on him and the bake dewsh

He got exposed as a true freshmen? I think his heisman trophy tells us that maybe he just needed a year or two of sitting, training and weight lifting to reach his potential

All he needed was B12 defenses. Any Heisman winner out of that craptastic league deserves an asterisk.

The last two big 12 teams we played seemed to shut our offense down.

Also that asterisk comment is totally a wrong take. There have been plenty of big 12 heisman winners that deserved it. Recently Baker Mayfield stands out .... he even TORCHED Georgia in the semifinals that year. Also Kyler put up big numbers against Bama in the semifinal.

Obviously NFL GMs (aka people who get paid to evaluate football) disagree with you considering they both went #1 overall

1. What are you talking about? We may not have scored 40, but we weren't shut down. We put up 500 yards on KSU. OSU was admittedly ugly on the first half but we beat them easily enough in the end.

2. Baker and Kyler both "torched" their opponents? Baker threw for 287 and 2 TDs. It was a good game. Not record setting by any stretch. ANDERSON was the one who gave UGA all their problems. And Kyler threw up trash stats. You know that. C'mon man.

3. NFL gm's make mistakes literally every year. That is not a good metric.
Kyler passed for 308 and 2 TDs and rushed for 109 and a TD...don't know how that is considered trash stats. He literally won the Heisman and NFL rookie of the year. At this point you are just a hater.
Ag4coal
Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

tjholley16 said:

Sparkie said:

tjholley16 said:

Gil Renard said:

Kyler got exposed against his one test in Bama. 1st year he didn't light it up. Jury still out on him and the bake dewsh

He got exposed as a true freshmen? I think his heisman trophy tells us that maybe he just needed a year or two of sitting, training and weight lifting to reach his potential

All he needed was B12 defenses. Any Heisman winner out of that craptastic league deserves an asterisk.

Also that asterisk comment is totally a wrong take. There have been plenty of big 12 heisman winners that deserved it. Recently Baker Mayfield stands out .... he even TORCHED Georgia in the semifinals that year. Also Kyler put up big numbers against Bama in the semifinal.

Obviously NFL GMs (aka people who get paid to evaluate football) disagree with you considering they both went #1 overall

1. What are you talking about? We may not have scored 40, but we weren't shut down. We put up 500 yards on KSU. OSU was admittedly ugly on the first half but we beat them easily enough in the end.

2. Baker and Kyler both "torched" their opponents? Baker threw for 287 and 2 TDs. It was a good game. Not record setting by any stretch. ANDERSON was the one who gave UGA all their problems. And Kyler threw up trash stats. You know that. C'mon man.

3. NFL gm's make mistakes literally every year. That is not a good metric.
Kyler passed for 308 and 2 TDs and rushed for 109 and a TD...don't know how that is considered trash stats. He literally won the Heisman and NFL rookie of the year. At this point you are just a hater.

Trash as in trash time. When Bama was already game planning for Clemson. Like we've done on multiple occasions to make a blowout look like we actually were kind of in it.

He did well this year though. He'll continue to do well with that style of offense, especially since he was throwing to a living legend and Kirk, who he knew going in. Now he has Hopkins to throw to, along with all that. He couldn't have landed in a better spot. although history has shown that style of offense with no defense won't win any championships in the NFL, he will get his stats.

I don't hate the guy. I'm happy for anyone who finds success, and I hate that he didn't find it here. I hate that Sumlin ran him off. All that said, I don't think he would have come close to a heisman had he stayed in the SEC. he would not have been drafted first overall.
Ridge14
Hoza Scott
Bocephus
AG
TaTa Thompson
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
tjack16
AG
The game was 31-20 going into the 4th quarter. That isn't garbage time. He played well enough for his team to win, but his defense sucked.

Those stats would have been the best game an Aggie QB has played against Bama besides the 2013 Manziel game.

As happy as I am to have Jimbo, I still think murray could have taken us to incredible heights from 2016-18 if he had a shot.

Measuring him from his true freshmen year and a game against Alabama isn't a fair measuring stick. 75% of the QBs Alabama have faced over the last 10 years have struggled against them.

If he played for A&M all 4 years he also would have faced bad Arkansas defenses, bad SC teams, 3 bad Ole Miss and MSU teams who only beat us because of bad QB play and offense. 2 years of BAD LSU defenses (16 and 17), as well as a UCLA team who we wouldn't have blown a 34 point lead against with Murray.
909Ag2006
AG
The correct answer is Reggie McNeal.
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
Slamn Sharpe
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

t.u came out for the game completely unprepared because they were expecting a Coach Fran type of game.

If so, then that is a terrible indictment of their coaching staff.

Prep for what looks threatening on film in case they do accidentally call it. You tell your players that they may not call it, but it is a potential match-up problem if they do. Its not like Les Koening drew up an entirely new playbook in the 12 days he had to prep for the game. They had to have seen most of the plays we ran on film at least once.

Not really. It's not very often that a coach being fired throws a fit and says "fine, I'll stand on the side line but I won't do anything other than that" how would they even know what type of offense the OC would run?

It wasnt known he was even being fired until the day of the game. Everything prior to that was "I really hope hes gone" or "I heard a rumor hes being fired"
Slamn Sharpe
Reggie McNeal and Speedy are two that have been mentioned and rightfully so.

One that hasn't been mentioned and absolutely should be is Michael Bennet. If you had talent as a D lineman under Fran you were wasted.

As much as most of you hate Michael Bennet, hes had an awesome career in the NFL. What were the circumstances surrounding his decision to leave Miami in college? He left A&M and blew up in the NFL
Z Team
AG
Lance Pavlas
bonfiresmoke
If we continue like last year we are about to do it with Ainias Smith. He needs the ball three times more than he had last year.
bonfiresmoke
If we continue like last year we are about to do it with Ainias Smith. He needs the ball three times more than he had last year.
bonfiresmoke
bonfiresmoke
Old RV Ag
AG
BenColderHere said:

Robert Ferguson (as good as he was at receiver, he was physically far better suited to play safety or outside lb.)
For that to be true, he'd have to be better than Ronnie Lott as a safety. That guy was close to Mike Evans as a true physical receiver that won 90% of 50-50 balls. He didn't have as good of an NFL career but he was a man among boys in college at WR.

Gonna add JFF should have also been a safety?
Old RV Ag
AG
bonfiresmoke said:

So four posts to say he needs the ball three more times?
ZofranAggie
AG
Fair point. My memory of those days is (fortunately) fleeing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Not really. It's not very often that a coach being fired throws a fit and says "fine, I'll stand on the side line but I won't do anything other than that" how would they even know what type of offense the OC would run?

It wasnt known he was even being fired until the day of the game. Everything prior to that was "I really hope hes gone" or "I heard a rumor hes being fired"

Maybe I was not clear enough. A good DC asks 2 questions:

1. How should this enemy attack me?
2. Will this enemy be smart or will he revert to habit?

He then prepares for both. That is why I love Elko. Elko is real about what he has and what the enemy has.

Again, I would bet that 95%+ of the passes Koening called we had run at some point in that season. They had to know that we had a very good TE and 2 good RBs who could catch the ball out of the backfield. If they dug into the stats more, they should have seen that SM didnt get opportunities to pad his stats like most QBs, but that he was a decent passer when it mattered.

About the only time you dont prepare for both is if you are so badly outgunned and must commit all resources to one or the other. That was certainly not the case for the sips.
QB1
AG
My talent:

Over 4 years of squeaking by I managed to hit every game. Unfortunately I missed the Corp march in about 99% of the time, only saw a handful of First yells, and if the sun was blaring on my paste I can't say I always removed my hat - so me, since I was 12th man, part of the team, easily I feel like I was the waste of talent. Sorry guys. Unfortunately I would not change anything. I enjoyed chasing the coeds at the bat the night before , watching game day with my roomie and his bucket of KFC, then stumbling over just before kickoff. When I come back as Revellie 25 I'll progress from a 2 to a 1 percenter!
jsc8116
AG
Tate Pittman
FrontPorchAg
Quote:

Thomas Johnson

That wasn't bonehead. That was some serious mental health issues. I have to wonder if it wasn't CTE
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Ag4coal
If we continue like last year we are about to do it with Ainias Smith. He needs the ball three times more than he had last year
Sparkie
AG
tjholley16 said:

Sparkie said:

tjholley16 said:

Gil Renard said:

The okies did not shut down Mond. He averaged 9.8 yards per carry and completed 68% of his passes.

OU and Kyler only played two decent teams and lost both games.

Nfl Guys know "stuff"

ashley
Gil Renard said:

Didn't you watch him this year?
Craigy
Sparkie said:

tjholley16 said:

Gil Renard said:

All he needed was B12 defenses. Any Heisman winner out of that craptastic league deserves an asterisk.This is such a bed take . Its also old,tiresome and incorrect.
This is and old,tiresome and false take. We play att least 5-6 games a year against defenses that are average quality Big 12 defenses or worse
AG
It was Reggie. He was ranked even higher than Vince Young at one point and looked to be a bonafide Stud. He was Franned!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.