Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why Sports Stadiums Are Incubators for the Spread of the Virus

13,156 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Pet Sounds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://i.imgur.com/8LD2P2j.png

Of all the stadiums the Wall Street Journal chose to showcase...
TXAggie2011
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Liberals desperately trying to keep fear and panic going as long as possible in hopes that they can steal the election via a destroyed economy and nation wide mail in votes
The Wall Street Journal is a liberal mouth piece?
anaggieshusband
Yes, lately
Ag4coal
And if the stands are filled with young, healthy people? Not that big of a deal as long as they don't go around their old people contacts.
Rick Flex
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Liberals desperately trying to keep fear and panic going as long as possible in hopes that they can steal the election via a destroyed economy and nation wide mail in votes

Politicizing something you don't agree with... Did you even watch the video? Our AD had a reasonable take saying it's still early and we can look at other businesses like how restaurants are adjusting with social distancing. We are in the middle of a pandemic that even doctors to not fully understand yet. There will likely be changes just like after 9/11... might have to get your temperature taken to enter the stadium until number of cases falls below pandemic levels, stadiums might not be completely full... it's not the end of the world.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Aggie_Swag18
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Societies sacrifice individual freedoms all the time to protect others. We all sacrifice the freedom of driving without restriction by requiring drivers licenses, we all concede that driving drunk should be illegal because it endangers others, you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater just because "freedom of speech", etc. All freedoms have some form of restrictions on them to prevent society from becoming an anarchy. Us having one season with no or minimal crowds at football games will be no more the end of the world than any of these other things.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

Societies sacrifice individual freedoms all the time to protect others. We all sacrifice the freedom of driving without restriction by requiring drivers licenses, we all concede that driving drunk should be illegal because it endangers others, you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater just because "freedom of speech", etc. All freedoms have some form of restrictions on them to prevent society from becoming an anarchy. Us having one season with no or minimal crowds at football games will be no more the end of the world than any of these other things.
My god this is the worst take ever on texags. Truly impressive amount of serfdom here.
Picard
AG
Other stadiums in the state of Texas were either half empty or covered up by tarps

Using Kyle Field was their only real option

Ex-liberalag12
Is there scientific data that says otherwise (a large stadium would be unsafe for spreading the virus) or is this yet again another conspiracy?
Gig'em
Aggie_Swag18
How is this a bad take? People on here are nutjobs acting like they should be able to do whatever they want regardless of how it impacts others.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Phoenix1
Aggie_Swag18 said:

How is this a bad take? People on here are nutjobs acting like they should be able to do whatever they want regardless of how it impacts others.

It's called freedom. If you don't like it move to China.
Ian Neff
AG
Every time someone say this, another layer of freedom erodes.
rgag12
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

How about you stay inside and cower and the rest of us will take our chances. The people who don't care if they get sick might or might not get sick and you and your ilk will never get sick. Everyone is happy
West Point Aggie
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

Your driving, regardless of how good YOU think it is, impacts others. You should do as little of it as possible. You know what's worse than a sports stadium? The NYC freakin subway...full of vermin and filthy people and no matter how much they "clean" it, gross and a moving disease vector. Yet there it is and there it will be.

In life you take many chances...this not really any different.
Let’s Go Brandon!
runontexas
AG
When did the WSJ become a liberal news outlet?
speedy
AG
Take this to the politic forum.
pv
The misinformation on this thread is really scary. Fellow Aggies turning into Russian fake news trolls. Staff, shut these replies either misinformation about virus down please
Camino
AG
anaggieshusband said:

Yes, lately
Lately, since Bill & Monica . . .
Aggie_Swag18
In life you take many chances, but we all take assessments of what risks are reckless and extreme. If I want to jump out of a plane the risk mostly impacts me with minimal risk to others. If I'm willing to take the risk of something going wrong that's on me, people who aren't impacted by the decision don't get a say. For driving you are required to pass a driving test to prove that you understand the laws and are capable of handling a vehicle because as a society that is our acceptable standard of mitigating the risk of someone not following traffic laws and causing an accident. It doesn't prevent all accidents, but it's there to reduce them. If I want to get hammered and then drive my car that decision has a major impact on others besides myself so they have an input on whether I should be allowed to do that. They shouldn't have to stay home and off the roads because my freedoms allow me to get drunk and drive. We made driving drunk illegal at the expense of your personal freedom as impact other people's personal freedoms and lives. Drinking's not illegal, just the reckless acts of driving drunk that endangers others.

Packing a stadium with 100,000 people would be something I categorize as reckless and impacts more than the people who are involved. Virus spreads are an exponential growth problem. We've been trying to decrease the rate of exposure to avoid overwhelming our medical system and so far have done a decent job. With 100,000 people in close proximity the rate of exposure increases and potentially undoes what we've been working on preventing.

As an example in a fictional scenario student A has the virus and with limited social interaction through what's necessary for classes or with friends students B and C get infected. Let's say neither B or C go home on the weekends and have limited social interaction with anyone else outside of A, B, and C. That can be contained once we know A had the virus and B and C quarantine themselves and don't spread it beyond what they have. There will be some spread beyond that but hopefully we can contain it. Now if we add football games to it student A passes it to B and C, as well as D, E, F, G, H, and I. The following week each of those then pass it one to several other students. Those students will go home and introduce it into their local communities who had previously done a good job of isolating the virus. By the time we realize student A has it the virus has spread well beyond any easy way to try slow the spread short of another lock down/quarantine. A situation like this won't just be at A&M, but at every college with a football program. A rapid spread like this could lead to a strain on our resources that we have been working on preventing.

I don't see any signs that we will have wide spread testing available to everyone with enough accuracy to limit the spread the moment it's detected. With sufficient testing I believe we can still have football but not with packed stadiums. Depending on what the situation is in the fall we will either have no one in the stands or a limited number of people in the stands. To reiterate, 100,000 people in the stands is reckless and I don't see any scenario where it ends well. Maybe it doesn't lead to a massive outbreak, but it will spread the virus and is a risk that we shouldn't be taking.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
TXAggie2011 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

No they are an honest journalistic entity. God that's such an oxymoron.
Post removed:
by user
GBAg10
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Good lord the corona bro betas...

Were these guys neutered at birth?
PneumAg
TXAggie2011 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Absolutely. It has been for years.
GBAg10
It's not really appropriate to equate drunk driving to going to a football game, regardless of how reckless you may personally view it.

What is the appropriate response to this situation according to your scenario? Should we keep hiding under rocks and minimizing who we see? Should we continue to arbitrarily allow Walmart and HEB to stay open and force everyone else to stay closed? Should we pretend like, although obviously not a concern to you, that a football game does not have vast economic implications beyond the university. You're talking about containing the virus as though that's something that's actually possible. The original proposal for a two week quarantine in order to flatten the curve was presented based on the belief that the virus arrived late feb/ early March. We have objective data that it arrived well before that, so that information can be disregarded.

But most importantly, if you aren't exposed to this virus, you do not have antibodies. Reading your fictional scenario makes me believe you think this virus will maintain its virulence year round. This means, shy of a very effective vaccine in record time, there is no way to ever have any type is social gathering without another spike in cases. Because neither you nor the majority of healthy, young people are developing antibodies through active exposure to the virus means we have no herd immunity against it. This means that those high risk people we were supposedly ruining our economy for are still at risk.

aggie813
If I get the 'rona from singing the War Hymn with my brothers and sisters, then so be it!
This crap has to stop.
IronAg45
AG
Dr. Tinkle
99.87% survival rate in Texas. Fear is the only thing standing in our way. November after elections one way or another this will go away. In the meantime we are screwing the world to take care of a political agenda.
SA-AG72
AG

Sharing these great words from C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis, wrote in 1948 in response to living in fear of the atomic bomb and it is so good! Let this be my response to the fears that will always surround us on this side of heaven!
"In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. "How are we to live in an atomic age?" I am tempted to reply: 'Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.' In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestorsanesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.
This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human thingspraying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of dartsnot huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that/ COVID 19)but they need not dominate our minds.'
"On Living in an Atomic Age" (1948) in Present Concerns: Journalistic Essays
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

Liberty means the INDIVIDUAL has the right to make his own decisions, whether those decisions prove to be good or bad.

Liberty means you may suffer the consequences of a bad decision. There will always be risks if you live in this world, you can't avoid them, so get used to it.

If YOU don't feel comfortable going, or you are worried about YOUR health, you have the right not to go. Presto! You have little to no risk.

You do NOT have the right to tell me I can't do what I want to do. If I get sick, I'll deal with it. That's MY decision to make, not anyone else's. ESPECIALLY not the freaking government's.

victorma52
AG
There are a lot of egregiously bad takes in this thread LOL. Those people are probably the same ones foaming at the mouth about china or whoever not doing enough to contain the spread of the virus.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
OMG national and world leaders are trying their best to keep hospitals from overcrowding and death tolls from rising. The entire reason why they feel they have to impose restrictions is because of the average American's unwillingness to have common sense. According to most of you on several threads y'all would voluntarily expose yourselves to 100k strangers tomorrow if football was played at Kyle, no masks and all. Just complete ignorance to the state of the world. Anyone who disagrees with you is a liberal. Why? Because FREEEEDDDOM. You can't do things reasonably, or even consider empathy for the society around you. The country revolves around you and your ideals. You think you deserve things you don't. Th government and anyone in charge is out to get you. Have some common sense.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

Irony. Just like opening back up.
jeepdriver54
AG
I am sure China has the solution you seem to want. I am sad for your children.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.