Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC football coaches ranked

7,311 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Saint Pablo
RebelYell77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Too high or too low for Jimbo?
https://gasnsports.com/sec-football-coaches-ranked-2020/
IamGroot
AG
Pruitt at Tennessee stood out as too low to me. Jimbo about right for now.
TopoTacos
AG
Jimbo feels about right for the moment, I would like to see Stoops a spot or two higher given how far he has taken Kentucky towards competency, but not sure that I would put him ahead of anyone in front of him, so I guess that can stay. Not sure why Kiffin is getting any love on this, he needs to show that he can do it at a P5 level...
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
1. Saban - duh
2. Malzahn - he's been there for both of Auburn's championship appearances. When he left to Ark St, Auburn went 3-9. When he came back as HC he had Auburn at 12-2 in his first year. Unfortunately for him, he's coaching at the same time their main rival has built the sport's greatest dynasty in decades and has dibs on their back yard. And their annual cross-division opponent Georgia, has come on strong. Every year Auburn has 3+ teams on the schedule that are much easier places to win at.
T3. Jimbo/Ed O - One national championship each. While Ed O has shown he can adapt and recruit to win, I'd also argue he has one of the easier jobs in college football. When it wasn't so easy at Ole Miss he failed to get it done. If he can sustain success after losing Joe Brady and Joe Burrow to the NFL then I'd probably move him up. Meanwhile Jimbo took FSU over the hump and has worked miracles on the recruiting trail. We will learn a lot about both guys in the next couple of years.
5. Smart - Lets face it, the East is the Least of the SEC. There just hasn't really been much in Georgia's way since Smart took over... except for Bama. The state is also in a hotbed for talent. Like LSU, you could throw a rock out your back window and hit an all-conference lineman.
6. Mullen - Impressive work at Miss St. Impressive work so far at UF. Just needs to beat #5 on the list. Losing a 31 year win streak over UK doesn't help.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Kirby Smart overthinks sometimes. I'd put lsu and Auburn coach above him. The rest of the list is pretty dead on.
RebelYell77
Orgeron should be ahead of Kirby.
Saint Pablo
How in the world is Jimbo behind two guys that have not won titles...?
I'd move:

Down - Smart, Kiffen

Up - Malzahn, Mullen
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
dixichkn
AG
Yeah I'm not too impressed with Kirby either. Not sure I'm ready to put Yaw Yaw over him yet but I'd put Mullen ahead of both of them
greg.w.h
AG
" .,.Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State was a huge coupe for the school and expectations were immediately through the roof."

What does a huge coupe actually look like? A bulky Corvette??
W
AG
Muschamp should be #12 or #13 --- he's terrible
My list:

1. Saban
2. Orgeron
3. Mullen
4. Malzahn
5. Smart
6. Fisher
7. Leach
8. Stoops
9. Muschamp
10. Pruitt
11. Kiffen
12. Drinkwitz
13. Mason
14. Pittman

"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'd flip-flop Jimbo and Mullen. Probably flip-flop Leach and Stoops.
maver1ck
AG
People are hoppin on the Coach O train too fast.

He's a great motivator, but I'm not convinced that he didn't just get carried by Aranda, Brady, Helaire, Burrow. I think we need to wait one more season before claiming he's a better coach than Fisher, Mullen, Kirby, etc.
psybj
Would move Stoops up.

Smart, Jimbo, Mullen, Orgeron are so close, any order might be correct.

Next year the order will be different but IMO those 5 top guys will stay on top, good with resources and institutional commitment.
psybj
The Lost
nbaker2022 said:

He's a great motivator, but I'm not convinced that he didn't just get carried by Aranda, Brady, Helaire, Burrow. I think we need to wait one more season before claiming he's a better coach than Fisher, Mullen, Kirby, etc.
If you're playing this very dumb game, you could argue fisher is only known as successful because of jamies winston. He's been simply fine at FSU otherwise...
maver1ck
AG
The Lost said:

nbaker2022 said:

If you're playing this very dumb game, you could argue fisher is only known as successful because of jamies winston. He's been simply fine at FSU otherwise...
Simply fine otherwise? He had 6 double digit win seasons in 8 years there. Jameis saw the field for 2 seasons at FSU. Bad take...
ryanhnc10
AG
nbaker2022 said:

The Lost said:

nbaker2022 said:

Simply fine otherwise? He had 6 double digit win seasons in 8 years there. Jameis saw the field for 2 seasons at FSU. Bad take...

And Ed O is 6-2, 9-4, 10-3, and 15-0 his 4 years at LSU
Slamn Sharpe
Your list sucks
Ag Tag
All lists suck.
Sponge
AG
Saint Pablo said:

How in the world is Jimbo behind two guys that have not won titles...?

Maybe because he has a problem beating Auburn.
McDadeTXAggie said:

Your list sucks

How does it compare to yours?

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Saint Pablo
Nick Saban has a head coaching record of 243-65-1 and with 6 nattys he is very clearly the best coach in the conference, country, and arguably ever.

Kirby is 44-12, has a playoff appearance, and a 3-2 bowl record.

Malzahn has a 71-34 record (9-3 of that was at Arkansas St. FWIW), a national championship appearance, and a 2-5 bowl record.

Ed O is 56-36 as a head coach, won the national championship this year, and is 4-1 in bowls.

Mullen is 90-51 and has a 7-2 bowl record.

Jimbo has a 100-32 head coaching record, a natty and a playoff appearance, and has a 7-2 bowl record.

Out of all the coaches after Saban, Kirby has the highest winning percentage with .784, then Jimbo with .757, followed by Malzahn with .679, then Mullen with .632, and last but not least Ed O with .608. I think you could make the case Kirby should be above Jimbo...but Jimbo has the hardware and Kirby doesn't. Jimbo has coached exactly 40 more games than Ed O, but has 4 less losses. I don't think there is anyway Jimbo isn't the second or third best coach in this conference. This year should be 10 wins and we should continue to move up over the next few years.
VatoLocoAggie
1. Saban
2. Fisher

3. Everyone else
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
austinag1997
AG
Guess I will bite on this one:

1. Saban. Not sure there is more to say.

2. Orgeron. Appears as a dip***** However, I suspect he knew what he had in Burrow, and brought Brady in. I think you folks just want to dimiss him, but that move was solid.

3. Mullen. A coach proven successful on the plains of MISSST. Now at a school with resources with a pedigree.

4. Jimbo. I do believe he is building a championship team.

The rest are likely not sustainable... including K. Smart.

Just my $0.02.
psybj
Orgeron is a different coach now than he was at OM.

At OM he admittedly micromanaged, a bad choice, and had poor talent. He simply failed.

Now at LSU he has learned to delegate. He is a totally different coach. Showed at USC when he took over a dumpster fire and finished 6-2, just as he did at LSU.

His strengths are Recruiting, Hiring good assts, Delegating and Motivating. He presents a great face for his program/state, a lovable caricature. Kids and parents love him and want to play for him.

He took only 5 kids from LA last season, of 25. So far this year he has 11 commits, 3 from TX and only one from LA, a -0- star punter.

Knock on Jimbo was the condition he left FSU in. The reason he was available was he wanted out of FSU, they were unwilling to give him the support he needed. That won't happen here.

Strongly believe that behind Saban we have Orgeron, Mullen, Jimbo and Smart, in no particular order. That order will vary over time.
psybj
Sterling82
I would put Fisher above Mullin but the worst is Pruitt being so low. I look for Tennessee to become a challenger for the East along with UF and UGa in short order. Being behind Kiffin is a joke.
psybj
Sterling82 said:

I would put Fisher above Mullin but the worst is Pruitt being so low. I look for Tennessee to become a challenger for the East along with UF and UGa in short order. Being behind Kiffin is a joke.
IMO behind Kiffin only because not enuf data, only one season so far. Pruitt showed me a lot by getting that abysmal start turned around, and now he is recruiting better than in many years.

Kiffin is a cancer IMO.

Fisher not above Mullin, Mullin has shown the ability to make chicken salad out of chicken chit. If I had to name a #2 out of them it would be Mullin.
psybj
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
My list:

1. Saban
2. Orgeron
3. Smart
4. Mullen
5. Malzahn
6. Fisher
7. Stoops
8. Leach
9. Muschamp
10. Pruitt
11. Kiffin
12. Drinkwitz
13. Mason
14. Pittman
psybj
what we can be assured of is

ENTERTAINMENT

with Leach and Kiffin in the SEC W
psybj
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I agree with you about Fisher not being above Mullen. Dan Mullen took over a 4-7 Florida team and has gone 21-5 since then. Sure the SEC East is weaker, and Florida had won back to back SEC East division titles under Jim McElwain in 2015 and 2016 before the 4-7 implosion in 2017. But Mullen gets the most out of his players and has them competing with Georgia for the SEC championship. He also has two NY6 bowl wins over Michigan and Virginia. Until Fisher wins 10+ games, I will keep Mullen ahead of Fisher for now.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

I agree with you about Fisher not being above Mullen. Dan Mullen took over a 4-7 Florida team and has gone 21-5 since then. Sure the SEC East is weaker, and Florida had won back to back SEC East division titles under Jim McElwain in 2015 and 2016 before the 4-7 implosion in 2017. But Mullen gets the most out of his players and has them competing with Georgia for the SEC championship. He also has two NY6 bowl wins over Michigan and Virginia. Until Fisher wins 10+ games, I will keep Mullen ahead of Fisher for now.
If Jimbo Fisher and A&M had played UF's schedule the last two years, we would have the same record as Florida (or better) and if Florida had played Texas A&M's schedule from the last two years they would have A&M's same record (or worse). UF have beaten Miss St and Auburn while A&M has gone 1-3 against those schools, however they lost to Kentucky (who we beat) and Mizzou. We're both 1-1 against LSU, 2-0 against USCe and winless against UGA. The difference is the Ags have played 4 games against Alabama and Clemson while FSU has gotten to play bad FSU and Miami teams.

I think we would have blown the doors ofF Michigan at the end of 2018 just like they did.

Charleston Southern
Colorado St
Idaho
UT Martin
Towson
Miami
Michigan
Miss St
Auburn
Florida St X2
Kentucky X2
Vanderbilt X2
South Carolina X2
Missouri X2
LSU X2
Tennessee X2

Saint Pablo
Jimbo has twice as many ten win seasons as Dan Mullen.
MaroonStain
AG
I'll edit this one.
MaroonStain
AG
No mention in Jimbo's section of the 2018 strength of schedule.

Went 8-5 but played four Top 5 teams.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.