Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie holds record for longest punt in NFL history (video)

5,485 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dallasiteinsa02
William_C_G
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't know that Steve O'Neal owned this record (98 yards). It's unlikely to be broken anytime soon. Here is a link to the video of it: https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1256600080423026688?s=21.
With Shane Lechler and now Braden Mann, the Aggies may soon hold almost all NFL punting records. I suppose it's better than not holding these records...
Luke The Drifter
AG
It was a 98-yard punt...that wasn't even a touchback. That's insane.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
DGAG92
AG
Punter U......
sleepybeagle
AG
99 yards...Shane and Braden have a goal to aspire to!
Ag4coal
Insane
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Insane in the membrane
ApachePilot
AG
Redass
Andrew99
AG
I've heard about that punt many times but this is the first time I've actually seen it.
Looked like it went about 65 yards through the air and another 33 on the bounce.

Great punt coverage as well!
Luke The Drifter
AG
Andrew99 said:

I've heard about that punt many times but this is the first time I've actually seen it.
Looked like it went about 65 yards through the air and another 33 on the bounce.

Great punt coverage as well!

Yep, I always assumed it went from the 2 yard line to the other end zone, but it actually went from the 1 yard line to the 1 yard line. Hell of a bounce...and I'm sure the thin air and maybe some wind in Denver didn't hurt.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
aggiejim70
AG
He may be long since retired, but I believe Steve O'Neal was a dentist in College Station for many years.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
oklacityag75
AG
Steve O'Neil was a dual sport stand out at Texas A&M. All American punter who invented and used the "Rocker Step" punting style. The 1967 team won SWC and beat the Bear, The Snake, and Bama in the 1968 Cotton Bowl.

He was a hurdler and broad jumper on the Aggie track team.

Here is video of the 98 yard punt that is a WORLD record in American Football....

Birddog
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Pretty sure 98 is the max and a record that can only be tied. Because of how the statistics yardage is calculated, 1yl to other 1yl is 98 yds. If it goes in EZ it's a touchback and a 79 yd punt.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Birddog said:

sleepybeagle said:

Pretty sure 98 is the max and a record that can only be tied. Because of how the statistics yardage is calculated, 1yl to other 1yl is 98 yds. If it goes in EZ it's a touchback and a 79 yd punt.

Nope...it's still a 99 yard punt, but with a 79 yard net.

BrandoC
AG
That guy helped the punter out, twice!
Bregxit
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Birddog said:

sleepybeagle said:

Nope...it's still a 99 yard punt, but with a 79 yard net.

Kind of silly that the endzone doesn't count in the distance. Field goals include the end zone and kick/punt returns include the endzone.

His punt should be 108 yards.
AggieBill005
AG
Also, wasnt a clean bounce. Clearly hit the returners toe. That's why he fielded it.
EliteZags
AG
these types of punts are very hard to defend
it's time we start using these more
2PR%R
AG
Dr. Stephen O'Neal practiced dentistry on Osler Blvd. in Bryan for decades, and pulled out my wisdom teeth when I was an undergrad in '92- one of the nicest, low-key guys ever and one of my favorite Aggies of all time!
VatoLocoAggie
No one punts as well as we do!
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
MidTnAg
AG
Think about this. When Braden Mann was going to punt, most Ags watched with anticipation of seeing one of his booming punts. Well, in the late 60s, when Steve O'Neal was going to punt, us Ags watched him with anticipation to see what his punts would do.

Steve is probably the first well known punter to become proficient in punting both long kicks and drop dead kicks. He had a knack of long punts when needed and dropping punts inside the 10 and sticking there when needed. Not always, but to a significant number that it got him drafted. And he spent 4 years punting in pro-football. Essentially every other punter just punted as far as they could. Nobody could do what Steve did.

In one game he fascinated us all by having two punts land inside the 5 and not going into the end zone. They just hit there and bounced back up into the air. Can you imagine being excited about watching a punter punt. And remembering about it all these many years later. As you may have deduced, other than 1967, in football we did not have too much to be excited about (and remember).
However, we did have Shelby.
AtlAg05
AG
Went down the rabbit hole of comments and Shane Tripucka's dad is saying the Jets should have taken Shane instead of Braden.

Yikes.
TwelveA
MidTnAg said:

Think about this. When Braden Mann was going to punt, most Ags watched with anticipation of seeing one of his booming punts. Well, in the late 60s, when Steve O'Neal was going to punt, us Ags watched him with anticipation to see what his punts would do.

Steve is probably the first well known punter to become proficient in punting both long kicks and drop dead kicks. He had a knack of long punts when needed and dropping punts inside the 10 and sticking there when needed. Not always, but to a significant number that it got him drafted. And he spent 4 years punting in pro-football. Essentially every other punter just punted as far as they could. Nobody could do what Steve did.

In one game he fascinated us all by having two punts land inside the 5 and not going into the end zone. They just hit there and bounced back up into the air. Can you imagine being excited about watching a punter punt. And remembering about it all these many years later. As you may have deduced, other than 1967, in football we did not have too much to be excited about (and remember).
However, we did have Shelby.
I loved that old man.

You had Shelby Metcalf, yes, but also you also had Randy Matson, Marvin Mills, Curtis Mills, and Dave Elmendorf. Lean years but there were gold medals and world record holders and a two-sport all-American.
dallasiteinsa02
Mann would have also made the tackle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.