Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Herbstreit would be surprised or shocked if Football is played in the fall...(SIAP)

8,920 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MemorialTXAg
90ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.newsweek.com/espns-kirk-herbstreit-would-so-surprised-if-college-pro-football-played-this-fall-because-1494907

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2883351-espns-kirk-herbstreit-will-be-shocked-if-nfl-college-football-play-season

But Whitlock troubled by his remarks...

https://247sports.com/Article/Kirk-Herbstreit-college-football-coronavirus-Jason-Whitlock-responds-145479592/
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Class of 65
AG
Don't read newsweek.
hunter2012
AG
Dad
AG
I think there is a 100% chance that the NFL plays.

The players don't get paid if there is no season. By then the peak will be over, there will be rapid tests widely available that the NFL can use to test all players, staff, and officials. Hopefully there will also be a treatment available that reduces the chance of having a severe case.

I don't think fans will be at NFL games. They might let a small amount of big money fans in.

College is a little different since the players don't get paid. I could see them canceling it.
I think the college football season will be cancelled. They are going to act with caution and football will pick up in the spring of 2021.
Thirsty Third
AG
With all due respect, Herbie might be right but he doesn't really know whether he will be surprised or shocked.

More likely, it will be a no-brainer when the decision made, IMHO.

Highway 6 runs both ways...
JustisWalkert
AG
Say it ain't so!!
Ag4coal
People in the US were sick with this shot in November, December and January. Far before this whole blowup. I know two of people who were 99% sure had it.

Yet life went on. I hope we can prove that this just isn't a big enough deal to cancel life for. And not just for football. This is going to have major real life ramifications for people. We've got to nut up at some point and face our fears. I hope we get there before college football season, cuz if not, we're headed to a massive depression.
Macarthur
Ag4coal said:

People in the US were sick with this shot in November, December and January. Far before this whole blowup. I know two of people who were 99% sure had it.

Yet life went on. I hope we can prove that this just isn't a big enough deal to cancel life for. And not just for football. This is going to have major real life ramifications for people. We've got to nut up at some point and face our fears. I hope we get there before college football season, cuz if not, we're headed to a massive depression.

Except for those, of course, that life has not gone on.
rootube
AG
Thirsty Third said:

With all due respect, Herbie might be right but he doesn't really know whether he will be surprised or shocked.

More likely, it will be a no-brainer when the decision made, IMHO.

Herbie is often not qualified to comment on College Football. His opinions on a virus pandemic are even less noteworthy. He may be right but college football seems like a million years away and beyond even what experts could predict.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
It's too early to say if CFB will be cancelled in the fall. I could see it played with empty stadiums and/or on a delayed schedule that starts later in the fall and wraps up in the spring.

Ditto for a delayed NFL schedule. MLB players are already requesting the same thing.
Thanks and gig'em
ghowe
AG
Ag4coal said:

Double, no x1000 star this post!
Urban Ag
AG
I think it's reckless for a guy that has the audience he does to be throwing out wild speculation like that. And it is that. It's not even April yet. There is a lot of research out there that says higher temps and humidity kill this thing off faster. Maybe everyone ought to tap the brakes and give it a couple more months.
EastSideAg2002
But what does Lee Corso think about this...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
NowhereMan
ESPN is too close to NY no way football is not played.
May not have fans in stands but it is not getting cancelled.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

There were some in the later part of January. But while I certainly want to get back to normal, this is highly unlikely, especially the November part.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

No doubt Lee thinks ...."Not so fast my friend"

Jmo, I think they'll have a vaccine worked out much sooner than 12-18 mos as many people as there are working on it. Still probably not soon enough to save 2020 cfb unfortunately .
rootube
AG
halfastros81 said:

Quote:

No doubt Lee thinks ...."Not so fast my friend"

Jmo, I think they'll have a vaccine worked out much sooner than 12-18 mos as many people as there are working on it. Still probably not soon enough to save 2020 cfb unfortunately .
Lee Corso week 1 headgear pick.

West Point Aggie
AG
So there should be a countdown like in the baseball forum.

522 days until September 4 2021...

BTHO Kent state!

If there is a season in 2020...subtract 364 from the above #
swc93
AG
Ag4coal said:

Username checks out?
W
AG
there's a potentially big financial problem with playing the 2020 season in stadiums with no fans.

and let's use West Virginia as a good example. The Mountaineers have road games in:

Atlanta, GA
Lubbock, TX
Austin, TX
Stillwater, OK
Ames, IA

WVU is going to incur considerable travel costs for those games, and will not have home gate receipts (tickets, parking, concessions) to cover or defray those travel costs. (like the Mountaineers would in a normal season).

then factor in Title IX implications. If the football team is playing a full schedule and traveling & playing in front of empty stadiums. Then the volleyball team gets to play and travel too. Can't put the fall women's sports on the sideline and only play football
W
AG
and of course A&M is going to have this problem too.

if the football team is playing at (an empty) Kyle in the fall and making roadtrips to Jerryworld, Starkville, Tuscaloosa, etc..,

then the volleyball and soccer teams get to play and travel too
rootube
AG
W said:

there's a potentially big financial problem with playing the 2020 season in stadiums with no fans.

and let's use West Virginia as a good example. The Mountaineers have road games in:

Atlanta, GA
Lubbock, TX
Austin, TX
Stillwater, OK
Ames, IA

WVU is going to incur considerable travel costs for those games, and will not have home gate receipts (tickets, parking, concessions) to cover or defray those travel costs. (like the Mountaineers would in a normal season).

then factor in Title IX implications. If the football team is playing a full schedule and traveling & playing in front of empty stadiums. Then the volleyball team gets to play and travel too. Can't put the fall women's sports on the sideline and only play football
I don't think playing in front of empty stadiums is really a viable option for many other reasons. If it's unsafe for fans it's probably unsafe for players, coaches and everyone else it would take to host the game itself.
Proposition Joe
There's $1 BILLION+ in TV revenue among the major conferences.

I don't think people understand everything else in sports - ticket sales, brand licensing, etc... is all a drop in the bucket compared to TV broadcast revenues.

IF, and it's a big IF, the NCAA feels that the participants can play safely without fans then the schools will find a way to make it work.
94chem
Ag4coal said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.
ghowe
AG
94chem said:

Ag4coal said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.
I know personally, first hand, 6 completely unrelated people who starting in mid December had all the symptoms and tested negative for the flu. Multiple tested negative for flu twice, two also tested negative for several other pathogens all negative. You tell me what that is... This has been among us for months. There are thousands by the score of recovered uncounted cases.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ag4coal said:

"Saw something in the sky. Weren't no airplane. MUST be aliens."
rootube
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I don't think people understand everything else in sports - ticket sales, brand licensing, etc... is all a drop in the bucket compared to TV broadcast revenues.

IF, and it's a big IF, the NCAA feels that the participants can play safely without fans then the schools will find a way to make it work.
This literally makes no sense. It's either safe to host the game or not. How many people do you think are required to host a big-time college football event? How on earth could you tell people you are going to go for it because there is too much money on the line but it's far too dangerous for fans to show up.
rootube
AG
Ag4coal said:

I mean this in the most respectful way possible but if your biggest fear is missing college football you should "nut-up" and go volunteer at an ICU in NYC. I have a feeling you would be singing a different song after 1 minute on the job.
Proposition Joe
rootube said:

Proposition Joe said:

This literally makes no sense. It's either safe to host the game or not. How many people do you think are required to host a big-time college football event? How on earth could you tell people you are going to go for it because there is too much money on the line but it's far too dangerous for fans to show up.

Which is why I said IF the NCAA feels the participants can play safely.

College basketball was initially set to go fan-less. NBA is talking about going fan-less when they return.

We're not talking about trying to pull it off this weekend, the idea would be 5 months from being able to safely and quickly test a group of people and put them in a closed environment where the event can take place.

You may be able to make the case at that point fans can attend, but maybe you still aren't likely the liability of 100,000 people who you don't know if they've been tested packing in a stadium shoulder to shoulder.

Again, I'm not saying it's likely to happen - I personally don't find it likely the season gets played at all - but IF by then they feel it can safely be done without the fans in attendance they aren't going to refrain from doing it because "it's all about the fans" or "it wouldn't be the same". That TV contract pays a lot of bills (including most head high profile head coaches).
Law Hall 69-72
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

He thinks he would go on Herbstreit's show because he's trying to help him. But he thinks Kirk is a big jerk and he's not kidding. (DFW Ticket reference)
merch
Way way too early to speculate. That said, hard to understand why so many think season will be canceled...seems more likely season would be played.
Sparkie
AG
Optics, politics, and lawyers will decide the fate of the season. NCAA is powerless.
Proposition Joe
Sparkie said:

Optics, politics, and lawyers will decide the fate of the season. NCAA is powerless.

Agreed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.