Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Super OT: Texas German

7,982 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by steme08
5-2 Stew 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5-2 Stew 84
AG
5-2 Stew 84
AG
5-2 Stew 84
AG

We did reenactments at the Alamo for years as Texians, but for some reason they stopped having
them.
5-2 Stew 84
AG

Found this going through an old box of stuff.
It's our itinerary from the 1984 tu game.
Coach Sherrill gave us all a key to start our engines.
It worked, we had a great game.
agneck
Not everybody that comes to America assimilates and learns the language.
F4GIB71
Not everybody that comes to Texas assimilates and learns the language.
F4GIB71
GarryowenAg
AG
I unfortunately agree. My Dad's side we're some of the first settlers of Fredericksburg/Luckenbauch. We used to sit at the local table where the only language spoken was the local German (as we called it). Very few outsiders were around then. About the time my Opa passed away, the prevalence of the language did as well. I love lost most of what I knew minus, and only hear my dad and his brothers talk to each other.
milner79
When I was growing up, my grandparents lived in New Braunfels, having moved there from the tiny burg of Maxwell in Caldwell County. They spoke German in their home; I remember spending time with them and my grandmother getting phone calls in which only German was spoken. Teasingly, my grandfather called the grandkids "hundt-wurst" and would take us to the donut shop for "schwartzen" donuts (chocolate covered).

My great-great and great-grandfathers came over, landing in Indianola and working their way up to Caldwell County. Today, my great-great, my great, and my grandfather are all buried in the Maxwell church cemetery. It is where my mother plans to rest, as well. She has done a lot of genealogy work, going to Germany several times to find records in the old churches there.
TexagChris17
AG
I'm not Texas German, but my mom's family is German Russian (with some Czechs who also migrated from Russia for good measure) who settled in North Dakota. It's basically the same thing in my family; my grandmother can say somethings in German, but the only thing that my mom knows in German is (I'm butchering the spelling because the dialect's not on Google Translate) "kumm un esse," which is "come and eat."
steme08
AG
My family moved to the Seguin/Geronimo area late 1800s. I know German was still spoken at family reunions when my parents (mid 60s) were kids. My aunt's may still know some of the language but I'm pretty sure it's pretty much dead with my generation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.