Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

9-3 is the minimum mark for 2020

6,517 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Alpha Texan
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Aggie Joe 93 said:

Team could go undefeated, and win each game by one point; there would be pot bangers complaining.
I very much doubt that

If we went undefeated there would be portion of fans who would be upset that Mond was the QB to do it.

Thats a fact.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

You guys keep goal tending for Jimbo we will be in year 8 and some asshat will still have excuses.

$7 million doesnt turn water into wine!

Jimbo fixed all the other units. It takes 3-4 years to build a strong OL in the SECw, absent big luck or inheritance. The '20 OL must improve, then be good in 2021. Should both not happen, then hold Jimbo accountable.

Jimbo inherited 3 OL w/ any chance of competing against Bama. 2 turned pro after '18. Blanton was supposedly making strides but got hurt.

Likely comebacks:

1. Transfer Portal/ Juco
2. 18 class sux

Juco OL are rarely good, and even the good ones are rarely plug-n-play. We redshirted Gennessy and Eleumenor. The tranfer portal rarely produces OL good enough to play in the SECw. Anyone close will want a guaranteed starting job. The few good enough to get a guaranteed job will sign with Bama or programs ready to compete for a title.

The '18 class is not looking hit-and-miss. Jimbo deserves some blame. At the same time, Jimbo was asked to come in convince recruits who until his arrival had no interest and were committed elsewhere.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

The '18 class is not looking hit-and-miss. Jimbo deserves some blame. At the same time, Jimbo was asked to come in convince recruits who until his arrival had no interest and were committed elsewhere.

Jimbo deserves only praise for the '18 class. It was ranked in the 30's and moving along with a whimper surrounding the stench of Sumlin & another mediocre season.

His staff came in on the first year of early signing period, with like 1 week to go, convinced a lot to not sign early, and then was able to build a top 20 class when 90% of the recruits had already signed.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Jimbo deserves only praise for the '18 class. It was ranked in the 30's and moving along with a whimper surrounding the stench of Sumlin & another mediocre season.

His staff came in on the first year of early signing period, with like 1 week to go, convinced a lot to not sign early, and then was able to build a top 20 class when 90% of the recruits had already signed.

yep

no one should be putting any blame whatsoever on jimbo for any failings of the 18 class

Jimbo did about as well as you could do, on paper, with the 18 class given the circumstances.

as for the OL, I think we will definitely see at least modest improvement this year, and probably enough improvement to yield better results on offense and in the ground game.

Leander - Ag
AG
11-1
Agsuffering@bulaw
Fine with me, works against Lat's point
aggiejim70
AG
Aggie Joe 93 said:

Team could go undefeated, and win each game by one point; there would be pot bangers complaining.
Wonder were we would be against the spread if we finished the regular season with 12 one point wins.
Somewhere around 3-9?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
10-2 or TexAgs has a meltdown and demand we pursue Nick Saban.
DGAG92
AG
This team will lose to LSU and Bama. They will more than likely will lose to Auburn, also. Then there's always the Mond factor, the usual "let it slip away" game against either Ole Miss, MSU, or possibly USC. So 8-4 is a more likely scenario.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

You guys keep goal tending for Jimbo we will be in year 8 and some asshat will still have excuses.

$7 million doesnt turn water into wine!

Jimbo fixed all the other units. It takes 3-4 years to build a strong OL in the SECw, absent big luck or inheritance. The '20 OL must improve, then be good in 2021. Should both not happen, then hold Jimbo accountable.

Jimbo inherited 3 OL w/ any chance of competing against Bama. 2 turned pro after '18. Blanton was supposedly making strides but got hurt.

Likely comebacks:

1. Transfer Portal/ Juco
2. 18 class sux

Juco OL are rarely good, and even the good ones are rarely plug-n-play. We redshirted Gennessy and Eleumenor. The tranfer portal rarely produces OL good enough to play in the SECw. Anyone close will want a guaranteed starting job. The few good enough to get a guaranteed job will sign with Bama or programs ready to compete for a title.

Sounds like a lot of goal tending to me. That's a lot of words to say "he needs more time".

Just say that next time.
TyHolden
AG
I bet Vegas puts us at 8.5 wins
jsmc71
AG
DSAg44 said:

I bet you're right.
cevans_40
AG
These threads are my favorite. Really helps to highlight the folks who think their opinion matters, when in reality, it doesn't.
TopoTacos
AG
DSAg44 said:

If it's less than 9.0 you've got to hammer that over.

Fisher hasn't lost any games we aren't "supposed to lose", the only one you could make an argument for there is 2018 vs. Miss St as a toss-up, but even that team had a senior "Diet Tebow" at QB and 3 1st round picks on the defensive side of the ball.

3 teams in the SECW are at or above our talent/coaching level (Bama, Auburn, LSU given their recruiting track record). The rest of our schedule would need a massive letdown for us to drop a game
Alpha Texan
AG
I am going to assume that while LSU will be good, they are beatable at Kyle given how many players they lost to the draft. I never want to count Auburn out, I feel like their QB was a hindrance last year but he'll be better. I'll go ahead and say that Bama is better than us and should beat us, and that more than likely one of auburn and LSU will beat us.

9-3 is a disappointing season, but not enough to call the Jimbo hire a failure yet.

10-2 is good, but probably involves losing a game that hurts to look back on.

11-1 is great. (As long as Mike Leach isn't the one to give us the L)
Bunk Moreland
DSAg44 said:

9 or 9.5. No way you're getting 8.5 from a legit book unless something crazy happens with the team or staff in the next 5 months.
greg.w.h
AG
It doesn't matter whether we goaltend for Jimbo or not:

1. We win on talent combined with coaching built on a cultural foundation. All three are superior to the previous three coaches, but not yet superior to Bama and LSU.

2. Jimbo's contract seems unlikely to be shred unless he fails to be effective at recruiting specifically and butts in seats more generally. I'll offer a 9-10 win season with progress on point 1 is sufficient to retain for any year remaining on his current contract.

3. Given the conference we are in, it's perfectly fine to expect any given team to win on any given Saturday. Generally parity is better in college football than it used to be, but it is absolutely clear in our division that talent is not evenly distributed and it gives LSU freakish athleticism and Bama boring depth on reserve. Until we can beat each regularly, we won't be better than 10 wins.

Setting number of win goals and stomping around doesn't do much. Paying attention to recruiting and progress is worthwhile.

I don't know who hired Bjork, but we have every reason to believe he is feeling accountability to Sharp for the aloofness off the last three ADs especially on football. I don't think Sharp gave the forward-looking NC plaque to Jimbo as a joke. Sharp is by his own positioning and words taking responsibility for a national championship in football with Jimbo within 10 years.
HunterAggie
Every recruiting class under Coach Fisher improves this Texas A&M team so as to yield a higher level of expectation for Aggie fans.

After two complete classes (and a last minute improvement on the 2018 class that he generally inherited), A&M is now vastly improving with starting quality and stronger depth. Still, another 1-2 classes as highly ranked and diverse as has been produced in the last two years and the roster will be among the Top 5-6 in the country.

The challenge is that the Oline is always the last position group to improve because the vast majority of those players have to get bigger and stronger in their first two years before becoming a quality starter / difference maker.

Thus, while I do hold out hope and have a limited expectation that the 2020 A&M season yields 10 wins, it is just as likely that it becomes a 9 - 3 season. IMHO, all bets are going to be contingent upon a vastly improved offensive line.

Should that occur, then the Aggies have a better than good chance of beating either or both of Auburn (lost a lot of very good players) and LSU (lost players and coaching staff turnover; game on Kyle Field). And makes for an opportunity to make some noise as to winning the SEC West or getting to a NY6 game.

If not, then 2021 and beyond will offer even better opportunities because of each succeeding recruiting class. I'm patient because I know Coach Fisher is successfully building this program on the right path for the 2020s decade.
Pelayo
AG
Alpha Texan said:

I am going to assume that while LSU will be good, they are beatable at Kyle given how many players they lost to the draft. I never want to count Auburn out, I feel like their QB was a hindrance last year but he'll be better. I'll go ahead and say that Bama is better than us and should beat us, and that more than likely one of auburn and LSU will beat us.

9-3 is a disappointing season, but not enough to call the Jimbo hire a failure yet.

At 9-3 in 2020 he's not even close to that mark
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Alpha Texan
AG
Pelayo said:

Alpha Texan said:

At 9-3 in 2020 he's not even close to that mark
we'd have to lose 5 next year for me to be really concerned. Our recruiting classes from 2-5 years ago just don't lend us the talent to be on a level with Ohio State, Clemson, and Bama right now. If we continue to recruit for the next 3 years like we did this past year, but we still haven't noticeably closed that gap, then I'll throw in my towel of elite aspirations under Jimbo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.