Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hypothetical - A football season during a pandemic

20,086 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by . . .
Mac94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

Quote:

12:01 pm: CDC outlines what closing schools, businesses would look like in US pandemic

The CDC outlined what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus becomes an epidemic outbreak in the U.S. Schools should consider dividing students into smaller groups or close and use "internet-based tele-schooling," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call. "For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options," Messonnier said. She said local communities and cities may need to "modify, postpone or cancel mass gatherings." Hospitals may need to triage patients differently, add more tele-health services and delay elective surgery, she said. "We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad," she said. Lovelace, Feuer

Sooooo .... if this does get bad here .... what might we expect as it relates to Texas A&M? Travel issues? Quarantines? Event cancellations? We're seeing that in other countries so what happens here?

Maybe this will burn itself out but it is fair to keep in mind that the Spanish Flu pandemic lasted several years. As we look ahead on this forum to Spring football and the 2020 season is it possible that these events that we love might not happen or could happen in ways that we have never seen before?

Yeah, yeah ... gloom and doom ... but it's the off season ... and this stuff is getting real out there.
OrygunAg
AG
Spanish flu was a different time when travel was slower and people were more spread out. I'm guessing this will go much faster...
Ugly
AG
From your source:

Quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed 53 cases in the U.S., a majority of which came from passengers repatriated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was quarantined off the coast of Japan. The CDC updated its case count on its website late Monday. The data shows that 36 of the cases are attributed to the cruise ship, three patients were infected in Wuhan and later evacuated to the U.S. and the rest were largely infected while traveling overseas. Just two cases were contracted through person-to-person contact in the U.S., the CDC said.

I'm not sure I'd cancel any travel plans yet. I suppose there is always the possibility it gets bad enough to impact things like college football, but if so, I suspect the least of our concerns will be the loss of college football games.
g1gg3m
AG
This sounds about right. Texas A&M is positioned for success in 2020. Therefore, the football gods insert pandemic and cancel the season.
justinaggie
Leave it to a possible pandemic to thwart what could line up to be one of the best possible schedules for our team at a time our team could be forming into a strong contender... if it comes to pass I will have to consider we might truly be cursed.
SA-AG72
AG
Maroon medical masks or white?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
White for day games in September.
TX_Aggie37
AG
SA-AG72 said:

Maroon medical masks or white?
Anything but gray
TheWoodsAg
AG
OrygunAg said:

Spanish flu was a different time when travel was slower and people were more spread out. I'm guessing this will go much faster...
You know H1N1 was the same thing and there was a "outbreak" in 2009 also?
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Good thing we've got our new 2020 walk in song ready to go

Sims
AG
We've survived 1130 kickoffs in September before. We can survive this.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Geez, I knew that was a piss beer!
TexanJeff
AG
Mask out or GTFO!
Meximan
Mac94 said:

Yeah, yeah ... gloom and doom ... but it's the off season ... and this stuff is getting real out there.

Mac94
AG
I wonder if we could talk The Disturbed into doing a BTHO the Sickness version for us?
Mac94
AG
Of course they hate us ... last time we won it all a frick'n world war broke out!
Mac94
AG
A few headlines today from the sports world related to this stuff:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-football-cancels-teams-annual-spring-trip-over-coronavirus-concerns/
Quote:

Michigan football cancels team's annual spring trip over coronavirus concerns

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/sports/soccer/coronavirus-inter-milan-ludogorets-italy.html
Quote:

Inter Milan will play its Europa League game on Thursday without spectators, amid a ban on public gatherings in northern Italy.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51626709
Quote:

Six Nations organisers are "monitoring very closely" the coronavirus situation, with games under threat by the spread of the virus in Italy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-italy-rugby-match-due-to-be-called-off-over-coronavirus-risk-1.4184784
Quote:

Ireland-Italy rugby match due to be called off over coronavirus risk
Al Bula
AG
Staff - can we get this post locked? It clearly belongs on the Corona thread on Forum 16. The OP is practically salivating for something bad to happen and screw up society based on past posts.
ironmanag
AG
The Corona Virus is a bad cold.

A media construct.

The flu killed 30 times the number of people.

So to answer the OP. No nothing will happen.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Coastieag82
Coronavirus is twice as contagious as influenza and a mortality rate a magnitude greater. Hardly a "bad cold". A bad flu, maybe.
ironmanag
AG
Coastieag82 said:

Coronavirus is twice as contagious as influenza and a mortality rate a magnitude greater. Hardly a "bad cold". A bad flu, maybe.
Sure
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Coastieag82
I'll admit it's limited but that's what the early data shows. Probably skewed for multiple reasons, I sincerely hope so.
West Point Aggie
AG
g1gg3m said:

This sounds about right. Texas A&M is positioned for success in 2020. Therefore, the football gods insert pandemic and cancel the season.

That's BAS they likes of which I've never seen...even here!!
Mac94
AG
Based on my posting history ... what posts? Put up or shut up.

My post was based on two things .. today's CDC press conference and the announcement of cancellation of rugby matches. I was thinking what if ... how would real world events affect something we all here love. The real world does effect sports.
yell_on_6th st
AG
g1gg3m said:

This guy gets it.
Kill Switch
I'm not going to change my life based on a virus that kills 2% of the people it comes to, especially when what we know is that the 2% is mainly people who are sickly.

I'm going to Vitamin up and make sure I'm as healthy as possible so when I do get it, I'll be strong enough to take it on. If it kills me, I'll reconsider my strategy.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
LEJ
We're going to be playing for an NC within the next 5 years. Just enjoy the ride. Gravel roads are a little bumpy but they're more fun.
NoseBleed
How many of these "World is going to end pandemics" have we had in recent years?? Last time I checked, the human race is still here.
GumboMaverick
ironmanag said:

A media construct.

This a thousand times..

This is media hype -- they need something to blame Trump for not having an outbreak chief to overpay in the government...
W
AG
no one has posted the correct answer.

because of TV the games would still be played but without fans in the stands.

each game would essentially be a neutral site game
rootube
AG
GumboMaverick said:

ironmanag said:

A media construct.

This a thousand times..

This is media hype -- they need something to blame Trump for not having an outbreak chief to overpay in the government...
This thread is a gold mine of lunacy. Is literally everything a plot to bring down Trump? It's been over 100 years since there has been a serious flu pandemic but considering that one killed 20-50 million people it's probably OK that we assess how prepared we are for such an event. My guess is that we are not very prepared.
TyperWoods
Get yer flu shot, you'll be ok.

CCAD AG
If we get to the other side of the pandemic, history sides with us having an unbelievable season.

Following the Spring 1918- Spring 1919 flu pandemic, the 1919 Ags were undefeated, going 10-0 and outscoring opponents 275-0. Another interesting fact about that season was that the season opener was actually a double-header against Sam Houston State and then Southwest Texas State, going a combined 105-0.

Here's the record:

• Oct. 3: Sam Houston State, 77-0. (College Station, Texas)
  • Oct. 3: Southwest Texas State, 28-0.
  • Oct. 11: At SMU, 16-0. (Dallas, Texas)
  • Oct. 18: Howard Payne, 12-0.
  • Oct. 24: Trinity (TX), 42-0.
  • Oct. 31: Oklahoma A&M, 28-0.
  • Nov. 8: At Baylor, 10-0. (Waco, Texas)
  • Nov. 15: TCU, 48-0.
  • Nov. 20: Southwestern (TX), 7-0.
  • Nov. 27: Texas, 7-0.
Leander - Ag
AG
13-0. We match up well with corona.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.