Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Shift

4,936 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Snap E Tom
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prior to 2008, the Big 12 South was the most dominate division in college football. Week 9 of 2008, Texas is ranked no. 1 in the AP, with OU at 4, Tech at 6, and Okie State at 9. That week, Tech beats Texas allowing Bama to reach the number one spot in the Saban era. Florida would end up winning the MNC that year and the Big 12 would have a few decent wins. From what I can tell from my research online, that was the defining week and season where the most dominant division in CFB went from Big 12 South to SEC West.
SEC Champs
AG
Those were strange days. Mizzou was in the Top 5, and I believe that's when Mangina was at KU and they cracked the Top 10 at one point. No other conference had the offensive production of the Big 12.

What really shook things up IMO was later after Art Briles turned things around at BU. He made everyone look bad; you just knew the media in Austin would find some sort of scandal to knock him off his horse. Surprise, surprise, Texas Monthly breaks the big story!
Meximan
Briles dug his own grave. Somebody was going to break that story one way or another.
BigOil
AG
I think rape culture did them in, not Texas Monthly.
technoviking
AG
"Dominate"
pinche gringo
AG
technoviking said:

"Dominate"
Stoopkid
AG
technoviking said:

"Dominate"

Yet somehow he got it right later in his post...
Indignitas
AG
Meh I'd say there was budding enthusiasm for the B12S around the 08 season -- their recent MNCs in 00 (0u) and 05 (tu) were on par with other rivals (tOSU, USCw) to the SEC's contemporary haul (03, 07 - l$u, 06 - UF). But the reality on the ground was much different, and the B12S got exposed year after year (mostly 0u but the sips too once or twice). So the switch wasn't any kind of passing of a torch, but rather a collapse of some peoples' hopes that the B12 could ever rival the SEC.

Interestingly enough, over a slightly larger timespan, the ACC (f$u, Miami, Clemson) shows up as the only viable conference to rival the SEC. It's not clear what the B1G could offer without tOSU and of course USCw has long since faded.

* ref: https://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs
AW 1880
AG
Crap. Just looked back at this. I deserve you're ridicule.
Snap E Tom
AW 1880 said:

Crap. Just looked back at this. I deserve you're ridicule.
your
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.