Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I think we can go 10-2 this coming season, but my BAS has me worried

10,164 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jsmc71
TheWoodsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
northeastag said:

I'm like the rest of you. I want to win every game and hope to play for it all. But this next year would be an improvement to just be "in" every game to the last couple plays, even if we lose. When we lost last year, it wasn't even close. LSU was over by the end of the first quarter; the other games by the end of the first half.

You know how I know you didn't watch UGA or Auburn.....
West Point Aggie
AG
Secretly many aggies revel in BAS...deep down they crave it and think they deserve it...they won't admit it, though! 2012 must have been awful for them!
fightinag
We will still have Mond at qb......that should be worth 3-4 losses
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Smudge
AG
beerad12man said:

smudge14255 said:

I'll be disappointed if we don't go 11-1. We have to beat Auburn. If we lose to Bama/LSU, AND keep those respectable (within a score) we can still say we're moving in the right direction. We lose to Auburn, the season is a failure, unless we beat both bama/LSU. But if we drop auburn, chances are we are the same team as last year and wont stand a real chance against bama/LSU. Soooo, we must beat Auburn, and to show that we are taking those steps I think we have to take down one of the last two. It's time. I feel like the attitude and expectations are where they need to be (not talking about from fans, but from within the program from coaches to players). We need to go into those last games undefeated *knowing* we're going to win, not just feel like we can be competitive.

All of this said, I think we can win the SEC *if* a couple of things happen within our team. By saying that, I'm expecting each team to give us their best... we can't rely on a team having an off game to slide by them. One of these things is that our younger elites need to break out right now. Smith, Demas, Richardson, Achane, Leal, Jones, & Green, specifically. And we need to have some of the borderline elites step up. Harris, Spiller, Cupp, Big W, Johnson, & Morris, to name a few. O-line WILL be better, time will show how much, which should translate to numbers as good as or better than a 2018 Mond, which would be great. Another thing that needs to happen, and I think will happen with the added talent, is that JF needs to open up the playbook a bit. Let Mond be Mond (like we say more of in the bowl game) and use the weapons around him more often and more effectively (which we also saw in the Texas Bowl). I think if we have a handful of these young studs break out and produce big we have a real shot of running the table.

Let me hear why this is a ridiculous take...
We've won 10 games one time in the last 21 years and now a 10-2 regular season is the minimum expectations to not be disappointed in?

That's why it's ridiculous. Anyone getting disappointed in 10-2, even if the schedule is easier than normal, isn't thinking clearly.

Ask Jimbo. Ask every single player if they would be disappointed with 9-3. You think they'd be proud of the season at 9-3? Not a chance. The expectations have been set higher and there is no reason, zero, to be happy with 9-3, especially with an easier schedule.

I'd counter by saying that having low or 'realistic' expectations is ridiculous.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
northeastag
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

I'm like the rest of you. I want to win every game and hope to play for it all. But this next year would be an improvement to just be "in" every game to the last couple plays, even if we lose. When we lost last year, it wasn't even close. LSU was over by the end of the first quarter; the other games by the end of the first half.

We were outscored a combined 99-22 in the first half of our losses last year. And 13 of our points were in 1 game! (Bama).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Got some bad news.

A random Auburn fan told me that Jimbo is never going to win the SEC. I guess we should just call it quits, right?

I told that bozo good luck with such definitive statements, and asked if he had either a crystal ball or a flux capacitor, 'cause if not, he is in for quite a surprise.
aggieclay
we'll either go 8-4 or 9-3. Why you ask? B/C WE DON'T HAVE A GOOD ENOUGH OFFENSIVE LINE.
TheWoodsAg
AG
northeastag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

We were outscored a combined 99-22 in the first half of our losses last year. And 13 of our points were in 1 game! (Bama).
Once again, you know how I know you didn't watch UGA or Auburn......they were 1 score games in the 4th quarter....which means they weren't over at the half.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Yes. We get better but that just gets us up to where the others at the top have been for years.

Exactly. I think we get within striking distance of Auburn. Is it enough to win on the road? At this point, I bet NO, unless they give me odds.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Leal & Brown are going to be a force to be reckoned with on the front line. When you have those 2, it makes the other guys better.

Johnson has shown flashes. McKinnley Jackson is big enough to get immediate PT on the DL as a true freshman just like Leal did.

I think you'll also see 1 or both of Diggs/Harris getting time on the edge as true freshmen as well.

I expect Leal and Brown to be even better. But, Peevy is a big dropoff from Madabuike. They will have to be that much better to cover it.

Plenty of the reserves have the size to play, but didnt last year. I get that McKinley has a high ceiling. It doesnt mean we will see it this year.

Johnson will be a RSJr. Typically, good edge rushers are getting sacks early. Struggles are usually vs the run. Johnson had 2 sacks against a bad BDF OL and a fish QB who looked lost.

I dont think Tyree gets us killed, but we need 6-8 sacks minimum from the starting WDE, to even replace the pass rush we had last year. We really need 10 sacks to be good on 3rd down, unless other positions step up huge.

Madabuike 5.5 (skipped Bowl, which would have been fat city)
Tyree 4 (2 in bowl)
Peevy 2.5 (didnt start until bowl, but did play some on 3rd down)
Leal 2
White 2
Hansford 2
Morris 2

I left out the people with less than 2, b/c most were DBs and LBs and they got the sack b/c of the playcall, not their individual ability. Morris could probably be added to that group. White and Hansford played on 3rd down b/c we didnt have a true WDE

I expect somewhere along the lines of (assuming Tyree doesnt get beat out)

Peevy 4
Leal 4
Tyree 6
Brown 1
backup DL 2
All LBs 6
All DBs 7

That gets us around what we had last year, which was insuffecient.

Now, if an incoming WDEs has 10 sacks, it will be a different story (assuming no major injuries to the other expected contributors). Or IF McKinley comes in and looks like Madabuike 2.0, it could also be a different story. I just dont think that we can count on that.

So, I expect our DL productivity to be about the same as last year but with less depth.
schmellba99
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We ran for negative -1 yards against UGA.

Sacks (according to Mond's game log on espn):
okie lite 1
lsu 5
uga 3
sc 2
msu 0
om 4
bama 5
arkie 4 (probably the worst game in terms of busts in pass pro)
aub 3
clem 2

Some of the complete busts in protection got corrected. That did not stop individual OL from getting beaten repeatedly.

FWIW, I dont like this reality. I just think we are 2 years off.
....and last year was last year.

We will still have issues with Alabama and LSU, because they are a grade above us in terms of talent and will be for the next season or two.

Auburn is, at worst, a tossup. We will be (rightfully so) favored against every other opponent on our schedule, and should be given where our team is in terms of experience and age compared to others. The few that may have us in that department are going to be breaking in new coaches, new schemes and new systems. And we don't play 3 #1's this year, and we don't play Georgia.

Look, I get the BAS... but damn, you are showing an inability to actually look at the schedule and instead are focusing on past results and projecting them onto this season.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Ask Jimbo. Ask every single player if they would be disappointed with 9-3. You think they'd be proud of the season at 9-3? Not a chance. The expectations have been set higher and there is no reason, zero, to be happy with 9-3, especially with an easier schedule.

I'd counter by saying that having low or 'realistic' expectations is ridiculous.

The players should expect to win every game. I'd be worried if they didn't, but as fans we can look at things from the outside and set reasonable expectations

I think 9-3 would be ok, not good not bad, just ok while anything worse would be a disappointment and anything better a nice season
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Look, I get the BAS... but damn, you are showing an inability to actually look at the schedule and instead are focusing on past results and projecting them onto this season.

2012 cured my BAS. I am looking at this like a gambler.

Q: So who is going to change it?

1. History is informative, so long as the significant factors are held constant
2. After 3 full years, you usually know who a football player is
3. OL typically need 1-2 years of development

2018 class- OG heavy. But we moved a true fish from OT to G last year. The only OT is hurt often. Bad sign.
2019 class- Kenyon is the only highly rated OL
2020 class- several highly rated OG, no OT, Maybe 1 can play this year if Kenyon moves to OT
northeastag
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

Once again, you know how I know you didn't watch UGA or Auburn......they were 1 score games in the 4th quarter....which means they weren't over at the half.
You know how I know you're an idiot? You keep saying the same wrong thing over and over. Garbage time touchdowns don't mean too much. We were down by 15 with less than 3 minutes to play against Auburn, and you think we were in it? Or did you not watch the game and are just looking at the score?
terata
AG
Your BAS has been earned, don't lose it. The TEAM is likely 3 years away from 9 - 3.
jsmc71
AG
northeastag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

northeastag said:

You know how I know you're an idiot? You keep saying the same wrong thing over and over. Garbage time touchdowns don't mean too much. We were down by 15 with less than 3 minutes to play against Auburn, and you think we were in it? Or did you not watch the game and are just looking at the score?
Too true. Scoring when the other team's offense has already been rolling their play book way back and other's team defense is merely keeping everything in front of them doesn't mean we were in it. Just made the spread/over look better. To me - watching the game - I only thought we were "in" the game v GA (of the marquee opponents).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.